Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Truth about Craft Beers...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Eutow wrote: »
    Several sites have the same info.

Several sites tell me that Coke/Cola whatever dissolves teeth but that has been proved as utter bollox..

Several sites have told me that chewing on MDF while snorting free range egg will give me cancer..

Several sites have told me I can loose weight by taking one tablet a day..

I worked in the drinks industry.. I know what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭buried

dubscottie wrote: »
    Several sites tell me that Coke/Cola whatever dissolves teeth but that has been proved as utter bollox..

Several sites have told me that chewing on MDF while snorting free range egg will give me cancer..

What kind of fish bladders do Guinness use?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

I was a Guinness master brewer, I know what happens.

I worked with Interbrew in the UK.. Home of all the Smirnoff and Bacardi.. I wont go near Grants vodka/whisky for that reason (all rice based BTW)..

But prove that fish is in Guinness. Links to a blog don't count. If it is true then there is a major public health issue. (allergies etc)...

And what sort of preservatives are the "craft" brewers using?? Cause the bottle I have is good for 2 years..

Isinglass.

• Advertisement

Isinglass.

So "craft" brewers are using the same as Guinness??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I worked with Interbrew in the UK.. Home of all the Smirnoff and Bacardi.. I wont go near Grants vodka/whisky for that reason (all rice based BTW)..

But prove that fish is in Guinness. Links to a blog don't count. If it is true then there is a major public health issue. (allergies etc)...

And what sort of preservatives are the "craft" brewers using?? Cause the bottle I have is good for 2 years..

There's not a major public health issue because of the swim bladders guinness use. The issue is with the labeling of alcoholic beverages.
    As for grants vodka, maybe you should try it: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/wine/5770943/10-vodkas-put-to-the-test.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Macros above everything else look at the bottom line and getting as many people to drink their product. A micro-brewery is of course looking to make a profit, how else can they survive, but they have more ambition about making a beer that tastes good (like a beer rather than flavoured water), willing to experiment with different hops, flavours.
    The two aims -- of creating a profit, and of creating a beer that tastes pleasant -- are not mutually exclusive of one another.
    I was a Guinness master brewer
    Yeah, I'm starting to think you've had too many craft beers tonight. That's basically a claim that you oversaw Guinness, a firm that you seem to detest (see: claims of using fish bladders)

Guinness master brewers are extremely rare. Since th foundation of the State, Ireland has had more elections for Taoisigh than Guinness has had master brewers. Since you have so many posts that are vehemently opposed to Guinness, I'm going to take your claim with a pinch of salt and a large measure of non-credibility.

So "craft" brewers are using the same as Guinness??

They wouldn't be the only ones to use it, but it's hard to know who uses what when ingredients don't have to be listed it. As I have said, it hasn't put me off drinking the stuff, but food manufacturers have to list ingredients, all beer comapnies should also.

conorh91 wrote: »
    The two aims -- of creating a profit, and of creating a beer that tastes pleasant -- are not mutually exclusive of one another.

Yeah, I'm starting to think you've had too many craft beers tonight. That's basically a claim that you oversaw Guinness, a firm that you seem to detest (see: claims of using fish bladders)

I think you don't read my posts properly, every time you reply you claim I said something or believe something that is the exact opposite.

I was deliberately talking b@alls about working there, or maybe not, you can decide, in reply to another poster who claimed to work in the industry, because anybody can claim to be anyone on the internet. Maybe that poster has, I don't know.

And if I detested Guinness why would I drink it?

Guinness master brewers are extremely rare. Since th foundation of the State, Ireland has had more elections for Taoisigh than Guinness has had master brewers. Since you have so many posts that are vehemently opposed to Guinness, I'm going to take your claim with a pinch of salt and a large measure of non-credibility.

• Advertisement

They wouldn't be the only ones to use it, but it's hard to know who uses what when ingredients don't have to be listed it. As I have said, it hasn't put me off drinking the stuff, but food manufacturers have to list ingredients, all beer comapnies should also.

I agree, but there should be a similar law (and enforced) like the Trade Descriptions Act in the UK.

That way all the ingredients (and the source) should be listed.

However that wont work as stuff in the UK is marked as "produced in Britain" but have Spanish tomatoes and carrots from Italy. The "craft" thing goes bigger than beer though..

Artisan sausages, etc.. An artisan is a master at his/her trade. Some "craft" brewers are aged in the 20's so now way are they artisans..

Jesus, just google guinness fish bladders, you'll get hundreds of results, not sure why people have trouble believing it. Even mentioned on the guinness wiki page.
    Here and here, i could post another 20 links if you still dont believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I was deliberately talking b@alls about working there, or maybe not, you can decide
    Yeah, I think it's firmly established that you're talking bollocks.

Artisan sausages, etc.. An artisan is a master at his/her trade. Some "craft" brewers are aged in the 20's so now way are they artisans..

It's why I think the term "craft" beer is essentially meaningless when it is just thrown around for anything that is different to Diaego, Heinekein, Coors, SabMiller. You then have the term Real Ale in Britain which is meant to be different again.

Yeah, I think it's firmly established that you're talking bollocks.

Likewise.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Jesus, just google guinness fish bladders, you'll get hundreds of results, not sure why people have trouble believing it. Even mentioned on the guinness wiki page.
    Here and here, i could post another 20 links if you still dont believe it.

I could post on Wilki claiming you are a famous artist that sold a painting for €7,000,000.. Not true however..

Just like eating an onion that has been cut in half and put in the fridge is going to poison you.. . Bollox!

People need to wake up and stop believing all the **** on the internet..

It's why I think the term "craft" beer is essentially meaningless when it is just thrown around for anything that is different to Diaego, Heinekein, Coors, SabMiller. You then have the term Real Ale in Britain which is meant to be different again.

Real ale is a good term.. I like Bishops Finger.. Been around since the 80's.. But now its a "craft ale"..

No.. Its just an ale.. Mass produced as always. Bodingtons should be a craft beer.. Cant get it in Ireland and is lovely.. Or should I say "tasty" which is the buzz word..

I am drinking Old Specked Hen now.. Not a "craft" beer but marketed as such.

I could post on Wilki claiming you are a famous artist that sold a painting for €7,000,000.. Not true however..

Just like eating an onion that has been cut in half and put in the fridge is going to poison you.. . Bollox!

People need to wake up and stop believing all the **** on the internet..

Even though the wiki claim has 4 references and I also posted a link the the Guardian and Smithsonian institute which you choose to ignore. Yes, "wake up sheeple" :rolleyes:

Real ale is a good term.. I like Bishops Finger.. Been around since the 80's.. But now its a "craft ale"..

No.. Its just an ale.. Mass produced as always. Bodingtons should be a craft beer.. Cant get it in Ireland and is lovely.. Or should I say "tasty" which is the buzz word..

I am drinking Old Specked Hen now.. Not a "craft" beer but marketed as such.

I don't know all these terms just annoy me. If I like a beer I will drink it again, whether it's craft, real ale, or macro. Bishops Finger is ok, I would drink it again, but wouldn't go out of my way to. Haven't had Bodingtons or Old Specked Hen. London Pride is a good solid ale, along with Hobgoblin.

I don't know all these terms just annoy me. If I like a beer I will drink it again, whether it's craft, real ale, or macro. Bishops Finger is ok, I would drink it again, but wouldn't go out of my way to. Haven't had Bodingtons or Old Specked Hen. London Pride is a good solid ale, along with Hobgoblin.

London Pride is produced in the same place as Bishops finger..

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    Even though the wiki claim has 4 references and I also posted a link the the Guardian and Smithsonian institute which you choose to ignore. Yes, "wake up sheeple" :rolleyes:

Not a sheep.. Just some random person on the net that knows you are talking bollox..

Random links and lazy journalism don't count.. :rolleyes:

London Pride is produced in the same place as Bishops finger..

Didn't know that. I much prefer the London Pride, more malty taste off it.

Didn't know that. I much prefer the London Pride, more malty taste off it.

I like London Pride also.. They are real English ales.. Nothing fancy, just good beer. (and mass produced)

Macro.. New term to me.. Any "craft" beer lover care to explain..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I love London Pride, but London Porter is even better :D Nice malty goodness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

The reverse snobbery towards craft beer is as tedious as snobbery towards mass produced beers in my opinion.
    I like some craft beers I've tried, and not others. I think Bud, Coors and Carling are awful. I like Heineken, Carlsberg and Tiger though.
    Depends on the individual drink/person.
    Opinion isn't "the truth". :)

Baby Jane wrote: »
    The reverse snobbery towards craft beer is as tedious as snobbery towards mass produced beers in my opinion.
    I like some craft beers I've tried, and not others. I think Bud, Coors and Carlsberg are awful. I like Heineken, Carlsberg and Tiger though.
    Depends on the individual drink.
    Opinion isn't "truth". :)

This is what gets on my pisser.. The term "craft"..

They are not "craft" beers as they buy stuff in.

Micro brewery or real ale is the right term to use.

The Carlow crowd that now own pubs are selling "real Ale" (poor quality at that) but selling it under the "craft" tag.

As I said.. Trade Descriptions Act..

The term "craft" should probably be added to that other term "hipster" as two of the most annoying terms in the 21st century. Two terms that are put out there willy nilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I associate the words craft beer with knob ends, I do enjoy the taste of some craft beer but hearing some muppet go on about puts me off frequenting craft beer bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

No, I'm not.

I'm saying that there are craft beers that are brewed using rice.

You are changing your tune now, you said there were "plenty" of craft beers brewed with rice. Actually from the list you posted I can only see two that are in active production.
    And since craft beers are all about taste (which is why many of us like craft beers), some brewers see rice as having a valuable role in taste.
    Some do, others like Bud don't use it for taste reasons. If they genuinely brewed for taste, then why do they want it served as cold as possible? Answer? So that customer can't actually taste it. Same story with Guinness.
    Now if some mass-producers are using rice, we can't simply knock rice in brewing, simply because they're using it for cost reasons. Clearly, a significant number of craft brewers think rice is a tasteful brewing agent, whatever the intentions of the mass-producer.

Some fine restaurants serve bulls testicles, carefully prepared as a delicacy. However that doesn't mean that making sausages from 57% bull balls equates to a quality product. Surely you can see the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭buried

This is what gets on my pisser.. The term "craft"..

They are not "craft" beers as they buy stuff in.

Micro brewery or real ale is the right term to use.

The Carlow crowd that now own pubs are selling "real Ale" (poor quality at that) but selling it under the "craft" tag.

As I said.. Trade Descriptions Act..

Yeah but in all fairness, these guys that run these breweries that make an actual decent product do not have the financial backing of heavily endorsed advertising such as the likes of Guinness, Heineken etc. They probably use the term 'craft' to give themselves a niche in the market, a market which is essentially a Diageo corporation franchised racket. All that $hite is meaningless anyways, if you find a drink or food you like yourself, then whats the problem? Stop drinking it because some strangers think its 'hipsterish' lol come on seriously

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Advertisement