Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Truth about Craft Beers...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Egginacup wrote: »
    I've tried a load of them and all I've found to be sh1t. Yet some twonk with a goatee will say they're the best. Full of hops because it's nearly impossible to fcuk up an ale. They will die a death like thrash metal in the 80's.

I'd take that bet.
    The beer industry was destroyed by big business in the 70s, before that there were thousands of breweries producing hundreds of styles.

The London Porter that Arthur Guinness copied was a 'hipster' fad of the late 1700s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Guinness has fish bladder guts and high fructose corn syrup. Sounds like Coca Cola to me instead of a beer, but I do still drink it the odd time.

Budweiser uses experimental genetical modified rice.

Newcastle Brown uses caramel coloring. Class 3 and 4 caramel coloring is made from ammonia, which is classified as a carcinogen.

Sounds like something from a chemisty class, all very appetising. You also won't be suprised to know that the big beer companies have campaigned, and sucessfully I may add, to be exempt from labelling its ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

jetsonx wrote: »
    too hoppy

What do you think?

impossible

Egginacup wrote: »
    I've tried a load of them and all I've found to be sh1t. Yet some twonk with a goatee will say they're the best. Full of hops because it's nearly impossible to fcuk up an ale. They will die a death like thrash metal in the 80's.

And some nitwit in a suit that gets an erection from an Excel sheet will say Bud is the best. If it's impossible to fcuk up an ale then wouldn't that mean the ale should taste good.

There are good and bad ales, good and bad lagers, and tasteless ales and tasteless lagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

MadsL wrote: »
    The fact that you are comparing consuming several pints of beer with a tablespoon of salad dressing seems pretty anti-science to me.
    In that case, I look forward to your evidence demonstrating the causal effects of MSG, GSM, etc towards veisalgia, or the common hangover.

Lets be having it.
    Which ones [have rice]?

Noah Steingraeber
    Jasmine Rice Cream
    Hibiscus Rice Cream
    Rice Cream Ale
    Light Side of The Moon
    Snap Crackle Hop
    Mongozo Premium Pilsener
    Green's Amber Ale
    Trade Winds

Just some of the ones I came across on google. Not planning on spending my Saturday night making an exhaustive list for a stranger, but you can see where this is going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'm originally from a small town in the middle of nowhere in Germany - 70k inhabitants

Off topic but I love the the German definition of a small town! I'm from a small town, there's about 800 people in the place and surrounding areas!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

jetsonx wrote: »
    Lovely brew alright. Perfectly balanced and as you mention a very crisp taste.

But, it's distribution seems to be scant. Aer Lingus serve it though.

They have on tap local here in Sallins Lock 13. I think the same lad that owns Browns Barn in City West and another pub in Newbridge is the only to have it on tap.

Could be wrong.

Has potential to take on the big guns and big sellers in every local.

Pity they cant manage to make it available.

conorh91 wrote: »
    In that case, I look forward to your evidence demonstrating the causal effects of MSG, GSM, etc towards veisalgia, or the common hangover.

Lets be having it.

I'll not be disingenious and suggest that it is isn't debatable and modern studies do seem to be debunking it, but don't you find it odd that your instant ramen has to list it but not the beer you drink with it.
    The FDA requires that foods containing added MSG list it in the ingredient panel on the packaging as monosodium glutamate, but not in beers?
    http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-10-03/science-suggests-msg-really-isnt-bad-your-health-after-all

Noah Steingraeber
    Jasmine Rice Cream
    Hibiscus Rice Cream
    Rice Cream Ale
    Light Side of The Moon
    Snap Crackle Hop
    Mongozo Premium Pilsener
    Green's Amber Ale
    Trade Winds

Just some of the ones I came across on google. Not planning on spending my Saturday night making an exhaustive list for a stranger, but you can see where this is going.

Did you read my post? I didn't say none of them experimented with rice, but they are using rice as specific brightness/dryness profile. Japanese and Asian beers widely use rice.

Budweiser is a copy of centuries old Czech beer from Cesky Budjovice, and they add rice because it is cheap! That's why they are slagged for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭buried

Eutow wrote: »
    Guinness has fish bladder guts and high fructose corn syrup. Sounds like Coca Cola to me instead of a beer, but I do still drink it the odd time.

Budweiser uses experimental genetical modified rice.

Newcastle Brown uses caramel coloring. Class 3 and 4 caramel coloring is made from ammonia, which is classified as a carcinogen.

Sounds like something from a chemisty class, all very appetising. You also won't be suprised to know that the big beer companies have campaigned, and sucessfully I may add, to be exempt from labelling its ingredients.

Exactly. Lets get a thread going titled "The TRUTH about Diageo drink ingredients" up in here instead

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

buried wrote:
    Exactly. Lets get a thread going titled "The TRUTH about Diageo drink ingredients" up in here instead

Do it!!

• Advertisement

Do it!!

I ain't got the knowledge of the ingredients MadsL!! But I would like to find out!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

kylith wrote: »
    This.

I love being able to try loads of different beers and find something that I like. I was in the Porterhouse recently and asked for the barmaid's recommendation and she poured me a couple of wee samples, which was nice of her. I went to the beerfest in 2013 and it was great fun.

:eek:

kylith wrote: »
    This.

I love being able to try loads of different beers and find something that I like. I was in the Porterhouse recently and asked for the barmaid's recommendation and she poured me a couple of wee samples, which was nice of her. I went to the beerfest in 2013 and it was great fun.

:eek:

Definitely recommend it, especially the first thing in the morning wee, a nice dark yellow/light brown so it is.

I'll not be disingenious and suggest that it is isn't debatable and modern studies do seem to be debunking it, but don't you find it odd that your instant ramen has to list it but not the beer you drink with it.
    Sure, but if beer doesn't have any mandatory ingredients listed, how do you know "craft beers" aren't adding as many synthetic or 'undesirable' compounds?
    Did you read my post? I didn't say none of them experimented with rice, but they are using rice as specific brightness/dryness profile. Japanese and Asian beers widely use rice.

Budweiser is a copy of centuries old Czech beer from Cesky Budjovice, and they add rice because it is cheap! That's why they are slagged for it.
    So it's ok for craft beers to use rice for taste, but if a larger company use rice to reduce costs, it's bad... Riight.

Sure, but if beer doesn't have any mandatory ingredients listed, how do you know "craft beers" aren't adding as many synthetic or 'undesirable' compounds?

So it's ok for craft beers to use rice for taste, but if a larger company use rice to reduce costs, it's bad... Riight.

Nobody said such a thing. Where did you read that? Rice is a cheaper ingredient than barley and is used over better quality ingredients.

Apparently, it gives beer a paler color, lighter body, and a more noticeably dry and crisp finish.

Let me repeat in case you misunderstood. Nobody has ever said all micro-brewed beer / craft beer whatever you want to call it is good.

If Budweiser produced the exact same beer but called it a different name and never told anybody, and passed it off as craft, it would still be sh!t because it tastes cr@p.

[/B]

Let me repeat in case you misunderstood. Nobody has ever said all micro-brewed beer / craft beer whatever you want to call it is good.
    I didn't claim they did. You misunderstood the post.

I didn't claim they did. You misunderstood the post.

Then what do you mean when you posted this?

You make it sound like people who drink beer that isn't one of the bigger brands as only drinking it because it isn't one of the bigger brands, and they would continue drinking it no matter what.

You make it sound like people who drink beer that isn't one of the bigger brands
    No, I'm not.

I'm saying that there are craft beers that are brewed using rice.

And since craft beers are all about taste (which is why many of us like craft beers), some brewers see rice as having a valuable role in taste.

Now if some mass-producers are using rice, we can't simply knock rice in brewing, simply because they're using it for cost reasons. Clearly, a significant number of craft brewers think rice is a tasteful brewing agent, whatever the intentions of the mass-producer.

No, I'm not.

I'm saying that there are craft beers that are brewed using rice.

And since craft beers are all about taste (which is why many of us like craft beers), some brewers see rice as having a valuable role in taste.

Now if some mass-producers are using rice, we can't simply knock rice in brewing, simply because they're using it for cost reasons. Clearly, a significant number of craft brewers think rice is a tasteful brewing agent, whatever the intentions of the mass-producer.

Maybe. It would help if all beers had a list of ingredients, so everybody can see what is going into the beer they drink. According to this article below, some brewers see it as a cheap adjunct that is used by larger breweries for their watered-down, cheap beer. Some micro's disagree and use it as well, but the macros do something different by adding colouring agents, fish bladders and such to it, and they obviously have something to hide by not being truthful with the ingredients or lack of them.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/sep/30/food/fo-beer30

the macros do something different by adding colouring agents, fish bladders and such to it
    Fish bladders?

So which large brewery adds fish-bladders to beer?
    they obviously have something to hide by not being truthful with the ingredients
    But the same obligation lies with craft brewers as large brewers.

In other words, if the mass-producer can exclude ingredients, so too can the craft brewer; or he can exclude the ingredients he wants to exclude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I was totally against craft beer and thought it to be snobbery til I tasted chieftain ipa . actually cheaper than bud / Heineken in most places. It's refreshing and gets ya nicely twisted.

Fish bladders?

So which large brewery adds fish-bladders to beer?

Guinness -

http://beermasters.org/2014/04/07/8-beers-that-you-should-stop-drinking-immediately/comment-page-1/

But the same obligation lies with craft brewers as large brewers.

In other words, if the mass-producer can exclude ingredients, so too can the craft brewer; or he can exclude the ingredients he wants to exclude.

Yes, ideally everybody should list them and breweries can choose if they want to exclude any ingredients. At the moment they don't have to list anything.

Jayzus. When I head out to the pubs these days it seems that everyone is drinking bottles of Corona.

Ah right, you mean isinglass apparently; trace materials from collagen.

It's a bit like telling someone who eats fruit pastilles that they're eating calves' hooves, just because it contains gelatin. (In fact, many beers contain gelatin too, and I assume there are craft beers containing isinglass and/or gelatin).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

So you are taking an internet blog as gospel? :rolleyes:

I bought a random bottle of so called "craft" beer earlier and had a look at the label.

If that was sold in the UK if would fall foul of the Trade Description Act over there.

"Hand crafted using our own grown ingredients".. Quick google shows the they buy the hops from Kent so lies..

The fact is "craft" brewers buy in stuff and have no idea what is in it.

Likewise the "craft whiskey" industry is buying its base spirits in from the larger distillery's and adding flavors and selling it. How else could a distilery be selling 8 year old when they have only been in business for 2 years???

A local Pizza place opened up the road selling "Artisan pizza and local craft beers.. Nope Galway is not "local" to Rathgar.

Some kind of fish extract anyway, but I still drink the stuff occassionally and it's better than most of the big lagers. Whether it would put people off if it was listed as an ingredient on the bottle is another thing.

Generally, cheaper ingredients means poorer quality. Macros use cheaper ingredients because they are only looking at the bottom line and they want their product to appeal to as many people as possible. The only way to do this is to have as plain a taste as possible, nothing over-powering that would put people off.

Fry's Turkish Delight contains gelatin, still eat it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

For any beer drinker to say craft beers are shíte, makes no sense. It's like saying all food tastes crap.

dubscottie wrote: »
    So you are taking an internet blog as gospel? :rolleyes:

Several sites have the same info.

Some kind of fish extract anyway, but I still drink the stuff occassionally and it's better than most of the big lagers
    But if you are correct about labelling (and I'm not familiar with labeling laws) you don't know who is adding isinglass. So you cannot single-out the large breweries.
    Macros use cheaper ingredients because they are only looking at the bottom line and they want their product to appeal to as many people as possible.
    Do you seriously think craft brewers are not interested in profit? that they are trying to keep their beer quiet?

I have to say, I started off this thread being mildly sceptical about craft beer advocates. At this stage, I'm convinced the most vocal advocates are as bad as any of the anti-science peddlers we see in the 'super-foods' or anti-additives industry.

• Advertisement

But if you are correct about labelling (and I'm not familiar with labeling laws) you don't know who is adding isinglass. So you cannot single-out the large breweries.

Do you seriously think craft brewers are not interested in profit? that they are trying to keep their beer quiet?

I have to say, I started off this thread being mildly sceptical about craft beer advocates. At this stage, I'm convinced the most vocal advocates are as bad as any of the anti-science peddlers we see in the 'super-foods' or anti-additives industry.

Read my post again.

Macros above everything else look at the bottom line and getting as many people to drink their product. A micro-brewery is of course looking to make a profit, how else can they survive, but they have more ambition about making a beer that tastes good (like a beer rather than flavoured water), willing to experiment with different hops, flavours.

Advertisement