Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene Foster at it again...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

What about the innocent targets as you put it or civilians those nice British lads shot in cold blood for the sheer craic

The British were legitimate targets being an occupying force in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,870 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Who said the army was a legitimate target? Who said Lord Mountbatten was a legitimate target?and who said the kids and the Nanny were expendable?

Answer; The Provisional IRA, an illegal terrorist organisation answerable to nobody but themselves.

Who are the British answerable to? They gave the answer today - nobody.

How many 'answered' for crimes here?

Correct HC they are answerable to nobody but themselves so that evens that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,594 ✭✭✭✭walshb

My god...

Why are people still harping on about the attacks being justified?

I get this. I understand this..

The issue is that in 2020 an elected representative is bringing up these acts, that saw humans lose their lives , in a nasty and celebratory way...

This is the issue. Not whether not the acts (at the time) were or were not justified..

We are years past this, and have peace now. His reminding “the Brits” of these attacks is what is disgusting..

The acts themselves, at the time were part of our people’s reaction to being occupied!

Can our people not separate here?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

walshb wrote: »
    My god...

The issue is that in 2020 an elected representative is bringing up these acts, that saw humans lose their lives , in a nasty and celebratory way...

This is the issue. Not whether not the acts (at the time) were or were not justified..

We are years past this, and have peace now. His reminding “the Brits” of these attacks is what is disgusting..

The acts themselves, at the time were part of our people’s reaction to being occupied!

ive asked this already - how are the Stanleys twitter comment any different that 12th july marches?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

The Brits committed warm crimes on this island for generations...and sure just look at what the northies have done with not allowing an inquest into Pat Finucane murder by the hand of the British government

• Advertisement

maccored wrote: »
    ive asked this already - how are the Stanleys twitter comment any different that 12th july marches?

The marches are also a disgrace!

The marches are also a disgrace!

though wheres all the threads by blanch152 and crew giving out about the marches every year? Or the media for that matter. One rule for the unionists and a different one for SF? Again?

though wheres all the threads by blanch152 and crew giving out about the marches every year? Or the media for that matter. One rule for the unionists and a different one for SF? Again?

Well, that is not me

I have always stood behind the Garvaghy Road residents, and other nationalist under siege from that hate and triumphalism!

My god...

So, how do you propose resolving the issue?

If Arlene can succeed with her complaint to the Oireachtas what do you do about Unionist celebrating of war against the Irish? What if she next complains about us celebrating Independence and how it was gained? She refused to attend the commemorations of 1916 because she believed it was wrong and criminal while celebrating Carson who re-introduced the gun to Irish politics and was in fact the first 'terrorist'.

Genuine question. How do you remember the past in a divided post conflict society?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

So, how do you propose resolving the issue?

If Arlene can succeed with her complaint to the Oireachtas what do you do about Unionist celebrating of war against the Irish? What if she next complains about us celebrating Independence and how it was gained? She refused to attend the commemorations of 1916 because she believed it was wrong and criminal while celebrating Carson who re-introduced the gun to Irish politics and was in fact the first 'terrorist'.

Genuine question. How do you remember the past in a divided post conflict society?

If Sinn Fein want to hold genuine power in the south they should at least be seen to be holding themselves to higher standards. Whataboutery is the medium through which politics is done in the North, not as effective down here.

I'm not looking for Stanley to be dragged through the streets. Sinn Fein can deal with it internally, he can 'regret a misjudged tweet' and everyone move on.

• Advertisement

What had this to do with Stanley’s deliberately nasty and hurtful tweet?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭costacorta

Sure don’t ye have yer apprentice boys March in Derry as well and wear yer little Easter lilies every year ?? But that’s ok I suppose as ye are victims..

What had this to do with Stanley’s deliberately nasty and hurtful tweet?

Everything.

The tweet has a context. And that is a divided society where nobody with the responsibilities (the Irish and British governments under the GFA and subsequent agreements) is willing to tackle the legacy issues.

And you saw why today, because one of these governments was a player and has major legacy issues of it's own.

Part of that legacy discussion is how doe we remember going forward. If one side is allowed to celebrate/commemorate just because a notional amount of time has passed, what does the other side do...bite their tongue?

That's not going to work. So I am asking you what do you see as the solution - censorship/oppression of one side again?

costacorta wrote: »
    Sure don’t ye have yer apprentice boys March in Derry as well and wear yer little Easter lilies every year ?? But that’s ok I suppose as ye are victims..

Sure you know what side you are talking about here? :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

People crying crocodile tears for members of the paras

Everything.

The tweet has a context. And that is a divided society where nobody with the responsibilities (the Irish and British governments under the GFA and subsequent agreements) is willing to tackle the legacy issues.

And you saw why today, because one of these governments was a player and has major legacy issues of it's own.

Part of that legacy discussion is how doe we remember going forward. If one side is allowed to celebrate/commemorate just because a notional amount of time has passed, what does the other side do...bite their tongue?

That's not going to work. So I am asking you what do you see as the solution - censorship/oppression of one side again?

It’s incessant deflecting with you!

Who is crying these tears? Where, how?

It’s incessant deflecting with you!

So we can take it that is what you want. Censorship/oppression of comment because it offends you.
    But others in the same Dáil and eulogise killers for our own independence because...some time has past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Lets hope, Arlene isn't watching RTE 1 now...she might get triggered

So we can take it that is what you want. Censorship/oppression of comment because it offends you.
    But others in the same Dáil and eulogise killers for our own independence because...some time has past.

Why are you again deflecting?

I have been clear on my view...

This is not about sides. I’ll call out ANY side if I feel they are wrong in their behaviours..

What censorship am I promoting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭costacorta

And others crying over not getting an inquiry into one of their own . Remember all the tears too from Gibraltar when ye were crying dirty tactics but sure a life is a life ..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The apprentice boys are unionists, if you don't know that simple fact, perhaps you're out of your depth in this thread.

Why are you again deflecting?

I have been clear on my view...

This is not about sides. I’ll call out ANY side if I feel they are wrong in their behaviours..

What censorship am I promoting?

I tok a bit of time typing out the issues as I see them in an attempt to have a dicussion.
    You aren't up for it. No bother.

You just want this kind of comment censored and the utterer banished to wherever. Doesn't make the legacy and 'remembering the past' issues go away though.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Does no one think it is extraordinary the convergence of press that took place this morning between the DUP and FG. Coveney was straight our with his " Sinn Fein bile" comments while Arlene Foster went writing letters to Sean O Fearghail. FF were silent and as for the GP....................
    Watch this space for the future maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

And others crying over not getting an inquiry into one of their own . Remember all the tears too from Gibraltar when ye were crying dirty tactics but sure a life is a life ..

Gibraltar gloating got you Michael Stone and this

https://www.google.com/search?q=derek+wood+and+david+howes&client=tablet-android-samsung&prmd=isvn&sxsrf=ALeKk03JUiJ_w9pVNnoLZUL_nq2s7HC9LQ:1606773043719&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwirroWEoKvtAhUbShUIHTrTC2cQ_AUoAXoECAYQAQ&biw=800&bih=1280#imgrc=1qYiuO23BPgcUM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Just one thing, the acts themselves were carried out by a terrorist group called the Provisional IRA who were NOT representative of the population!

'The Irish people's reaction' was one of horror and disgust, obviously not from Republicans who probably celebrated as the bodies parts were collected and put in plastic bags, but the rest of the island was horrified. And don't forget the PIRA were not only fighting against the security forces up North, they were also at it down here too, so they were our enemy as well as being the enemy up North.

i thought heads were bent out of shape due to commemorating atrocities? 12th marches are that. enough of the duplicity.

I tok a bit of time typing out the issues as I see them in an attempt to have a dicussion.
    You aren't up for it. No bother.

You just want this kind of comment censored and the utterer banished to wherever. Doesn't make the legacy and 'remembering the past' issues go away though.

Eh, you do realize the tweet was censored/removed itself by its author?

Discussion on what?

The tweet was a disgrace.

It has no place in our society today. We are in the process of continuing healing and progress and reconciliation..

There is no discussion..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

i thought heads were bent out of shape due to commemorating atrocities? 12th marches are that. enough of the duplicity.

TUV was formed by DUP members who wanted Torrens Knight , Greysteel murderer and RUC
    Informer released, DUP are terrorists

• Advertisement

Eh, you do realize the tweet was censored/removed itself by its author?

Discussion on what?

The tweet was a disgrace.

It has no place in our society today. We are in the process of continuing healing and progress and reconciliation..

There is no discussion..

Righty ho.

Advertisement