Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene Foster at it again...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Odhinn

walshb wrote: »
    Utter bull..

Nope, the paras were unleashed upon the nationalist population of the north,m with all their attendant brutality. What they got was what they deserved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Odhinn wrote: »
    Nope, the paras were unleashed upon the nationalist population of the north,m with all their attendant brutality. What they got was what they deserved.

My dad may God rest his soul did his national service with the Paras in the 50s, guys who either were at Arhhem e.g. or served with them - spoke highly of them.

Fast forward 15 years and he sees the same regiment on the streets of our country and he couldn’t believe it was the same people. Hated them the rest of his life - whatever honour they may have displayed has gone and yeah, any of them here did deserve all they got.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

You are a nationalist who made a big deal about how you would call out anyone who did something like this and weren't able to show where you had done this.

A nationalist who only calls out the wrongs of nationalists...hmmmm

Not buying that one quite yet.

I'm not hardline in the slightest...I'm looking for solutions to this, because it isn't just about a tweet and it's not going to be found in hypocritical high moral grounding either.
    might be what they call a bangor catholic

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Christ... How can people still keep digging up the past?

What's done, is done.

Move forward.. Embrace each other.

You'll never go forward, if you keep looking back.

I spent time in the Summer on both sides of the divide. The Shankill and Falls Road.

Both sides were welcoming, both sides were hospitable towards me (and the Mrs). I couldn't pick a fault with either 'side'.

The lack of trust comes out unintentionally during general conversation, but apart from that, great people.

Both sides must learn to live in harmony, which can be achieved. To do this, the next generation must be free from the hate instilled by their forefathers.

Incidentally, I learnt this year that Catholic boys are now courting Protestant girls and viceversa..

Is this the wind of change that Northern Ireland so desperately needs..?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

flanna01 wrote: »
    Christ... How can people still keep digging up the past?

What's done, is done.

Move forward.. Embrace each other.

You'll never go forward, if you keep looking back.

I spent time in the Summer on both sides of the divide. The Shankill and Falls Road.

Both sides were welcoming, both sides were hospitable towards me (and the Mrs). I couldn't pick a fault with either 'side'.

The lack of trust comes out unintentionally during general conversation, but apart from that, great people.

Both sides must learn to live in harmony, which can be achieved. To do this, the next generation must be free from the hate instilled by their forefathers.

Incidentally, I learnt this year that Catholic boys are now courting Protestant girls and viceversa..

Is this the wind of change that Northern Ireland so desperately needs..?
    A lot of it is done in the republic to stop SF from getting support to go into govt from the usual FF FG fanboys. Wouldn't dare call the DUP out on anything.
    Look at last month for example where Micheal Martin could not go the centenary do in cork but rather ran up to eniskillen with his feckin poppy which ironically celebrates the murder of irish people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,214 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Like I said. Any threads about Unionists/loyalists wrongs?

I have no issue condemning..

Those threads pop up from time to time. They tend to be short as everyone who posts in those threads condemns the Unionist/loyalist wrong. There is nobody in there denying reality and making Stanleyesque posts glorifying the wrong.

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    A lot of it is done in the republic to stop SF from getting support to go into govt from the usual FF FG fanboys. Wouldn't dare call the DUP out on anything.
    Look at last month for example where Micheal Martin could not go the centenary do in cork but rather ran up to eniskillen with his feckin poppy which ironically celebrates the murder of irish people.

The Sinn Fein victim mentality is getting tiresome. Time they got on with behaving normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

'Arlene Foster at it again..."

Phew, that's a relief, when I saw that headline I thought there might be visual evidence of much more graphic behaviour from Arlene here.... and tbh that could put me off my lunch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 66,944 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    Those threads pop up from time to time. They tend to be short as everyone who posts in those threads condemns the Unionist/loyalist wrong. There is nobody in there denying reality and making Stanleyesque posts glorifying the wrong.

Have you started any blanch? Posted in many?

walshb made a big deal about his/her evenhandedness, when asked to link to proof of that, he/she came up rather short.

Have you started any blanch? Posted in many?

walshb made a big deal about his/her evenhandedness, when asked to link to proof of that, he/she came up rather short.

The next time I see someone defending the indefensible in a thread on a unionist atrocity, I will call them out and point out what they are doing.

The thing is, it just doesn't happen.

• Advertisement

The next time I see someone defending the indefensible in a thread on a unionist atrocity, I will call them out and point out what they are doing.

The thing is, it just doesn't happen.

Good man.
    Thing is, it's a bit late to be claiming even handedness as walshb claimed he/she was. But a word of caution, what seems 'indefensible' to you may be perfectly defendable to somebody else.
    You aren't the 'oracle' on such matters just as I am not either.

Good man.
    Thing is, it's a bit late to be claiming even handedness as walshb claimed he/she was. But a word of caution, what seems 'indefensible' to you may be perfectly defendable to somebody else.

There is no opportunity to display even-handedness. There aren't any posters defending the UDA or the UVF, suggesting that what they did was normal.

#notanormalparty

• Registered Users Posts: 54,603 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Good man.

Francie, what are you expecting?

People to start calling Unionists out to please you?

If they warrant calling out, they will be. Certainly by me.....

You are coming across very immature here...

The thread relates to a complaint made about a SF tweet.

To me, that tweet was incredibly insensitive and wrong. Your response is the usual deflection: But what about this and that and the other....

FFS, even SF have acknowledged this, in their own way.....the author had to take it down.

Some great people, like Martin and Gerry, they themselves have shown the compassion and respect to the other side for loss of life....

Plenty other great republican and SF people the same...

You come across as too callous here.....always wanting to Brit bash and Unionist bash....that's the way it comes across, and I am sorry, that doesn't make you any more Irish than me...

I can't stand the wanting to Brit bash....I want us to rise above this and welcome our neighbors and work with them to continue building peace...

And tweets like the other day do the cause no good, and same for Unionists who are having their say and swipes against nationalists.

Always a competition with you...

Deal with the facts: If you want people to Unionist bash, set a thread up of their wrongdoings and we can discuss..

There is no opportunity to display even-handedness. There aren't any posters defending the UDA or the UVF, suggesting that what they did was normal.

#notanormalparty

Well, yes there is...right now on the Pat Finucane thread. Defending the British assassinating him.

Well, yes there is...right now on the Pat Finucane thread. Defending the British assassinating him.

The murder of that man by loyalists and British state collusion was abhorrent...

Add this to my list, please....

It is beyond defending for me

But, as always , works both ways....

Loyalists and Unionists will say some IRA killings are beyond defending.

Francie, what are you expecting?

People to start calling Unionists out to please you?

If they warrant calling out, they will be. Certainly by me.....

You are coming across very immature here...

The thread relates to a complaint made about a SF tweet.

To me, that tweet was incredibly insensitive and wrong. Your response is the usual deflection: But what about this and that and the other....

FFS, even SF have acknowledged this, in their own way.....the author had to take it down.

Some great people, like Martin and Gerry, they themselves have shown the compassion and respect to the other side for loss of life....

Plenty other great republican and SF people the same...

You come across as too callous here.....always wanting to Brit bash and Unionist bash....that's the way it comes across, and I am sorry, that doesn't make you any more Irish than me...

I can't stand the wanting to Brit bash....I want us to rise above this and welcome our neighbors and work with them to continue building peace...

And tweets like the other day do the cause no good, and same for Unionists who are having their say go against nationalists.

Always a competition with you...

Deal with the facts: If you want people to Unionist bash, set a thread up of their wrongdoings and we can discuss..

Ditto walshb. You come across as disingenuous. I asked you to link to where you had as you said yourself, challenged this insensitivity from the other side, and you couldn't do that.

I did it after trying to engage with you in a discussion on what you saw as a solution. You wouldn't engage on that either. Your preferred solution is to silence or censor and ban.
    I explained to you that wasn't going to work in relation to triumphalism, which is what the 12th is about.
    You accused me of deflecting.

I want a society were we can all remember with respect, were each can remember their dead. If that is 'callous', fair enough.

The murder of that man by loyalists and British state collusion was abhorrent...

Add this to my list, please....

It is beyond defending for me

But, as always , works both ways....

Loyalists and Unionists will say some IRA killings are beyond defending.

The thread were it is being defended is that way >>>>

Ditto walshb. You come across as disingenuous. I asked you to link to where you had as you said yourself, challenged this insensitivity from the other side, and you couldn't do that.

I did it after trying to engage with you in a discussion on what you saw as a solution. You wouldn't engage on that either. Your preferred solution is to silence or censor and ban.
    I explained to you that wasn't going to work in relation to triumphalism, which is what the 12th is about.
    You accused me of deflecting.

I want a society were we can all remember with respect, were each can remember their dead. If that is 'callous', fair enough.

I have over 40000 posts on boards

And I know a few definitely have come out strongly against Loyalists up North for their wrongs

Anyway, it's just plain odd that you are looking for it......

It's so childish......

I think the tweet was very wrong....end of.....you take this and then start moaning because I am not giving out about Unionists.....?

As regards a solution: That is fooking simple: Both sides to come together and embrace....

Not to be antagonizing and stoking and causing offense to each other with insensitive comments and tweets about the loss of life on BOTH sides...

And I know a few definitely have come out strongly against Loyalists up North for their wrongs

Anyway, it's just plain odd that you are looking for it......

It's so childish......

I think the tweet was very wrong....end of.....you take this and then start moaning because I am not giving out about Unionists.....?

I am not moaning. It was you who calimed to be evenhanded. You aren't here on boards.ie. End of. That's your own affair.

There are now two posters on the Finucane thread, condoning his killing. No sign of you or blanch.

I am not moaning. It was you who calimed to be evenhanded. You aren't here on boards.ie. End of. That's your own affair.

There are now two posters on the Finucane thread, condoning his killing. No sign of you or blanch.

FFS, I didn't even know this Finucane thread existed till you said it...

And for the umpteenth time, I have called out loyalists and Unionists.....I have done so a few times on this thread alone...

• Advertisement

FFS, I didn't even know this Finucane thread existed till you said it...

And for the umpteenth time, I have called out loyalists and Unionists.....I have done so a few times on this thread alone...

YOU claimed you were evenhanded in your criticism:
    I will simply call out what I believe to be wrong from either side..

'Simply' put, you haven't called out what you believe to be wrong from either side in 40,000 posts since 2005.

I'll leave it at that, just repeating stuff here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Any good ones? ;)

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

YOU claimed you were evenhanded in your criticism:

'Simply' put, you haven't called out what you believe to be wrong from either side in 40,000 posts since 2005.

I'll leave it at that, just repeating stuff here.

Yes, we will

So you have read all 40000 posts and not one is relating to me calling out wrongdoings by Loyalists-Unionists....?

We'll ignore the few in this thread alone....so the almost 40000 other posts.....?

Any good ones? ;)

Sh1t loads!

Yes, we will

So you have read all 40000 posts and not one is relating to me calling out wrongdoings by Loyalists-Unionists....?

We'll ignore the few in this thread alone....so the almost 40000 other posts.....?

It's not up to me to back up things YOU say. I asked you to back up
    I will simply call out what I believe to be wrong from either side
    where you had done that previous to this thread and you didn't.

Fair enough, we'll leave it at that.

It's not up to me to back up things YOU say. I asked you to back up where you had done that previous to this thread and you didn't.

Fair enough, we'll leave it at that.

Let's leave it

I need to back up nothing....you made the claim.....

Get your excel sheet ready and post all my posts to prove your claim..

I don't have to provide you with anything....you started it, made the claim.

I know well that some of my 40000 posts on boards show me calling out the wrongs of loyalists and Unionists...

Stop telling lies. I just had a look at the last page of that thread (I could have gone back further but you say right now at 13:17, and that covers the last four hours back to 10:54).

There are people defending the decision not to hold an enquiry (and there is an argument, whether acceptable or not, that it would be a waste of time) but I don't see people right now defending the British assassinating him. There was one earlier defending it and they got correctly threadbanned.

On the other hand, on every single page of every single Sinn Fein thread, there is someone defending them night and day.

#notanormalparty

Stop telling lies. I just had a look at the last page of that thread (I could have gone back further but you say right now at 13:17, and that covers the last four hours back to 10:54).

There are people defending the decision not to hold an enquiry (and there is an argument, whether acceptable or not, that it would be a waste of time) but I don't see people right now defending the British assassinating him. There was one earlier defending it and they got correctly threadbanned.

On the other hand, on every single page of every single Sinn Fein thread, there is someone defending them night and day.

#notanormalparty
    In a war anyone who is an enemy or collaborates with the enemy has to expect death.
    It didn't matter if a soldier is in uniform on armed patrol on the Falls Road or having pints in a pub in Birmingham.
    It didn't matter if a republican was sitting at home watching TV with his kids or armed with a gun attacking an RUC station.
    Pat Finucane was getting republicans off scot free who were going back to war as soon as they came out of prison.
    Too bad

P.S. I didn't know there was a time limit on objecting to this kind of stuff and being 'evenhanded' in your criticism.

If you object to what Stanley said, you would be on the post above objecting to it as well. If you were being evenhanded that is.
    That post says Finucane was a legitimate target of the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Wrong that.

So post a thread on unionist issues and we’ll log in and condemn..

This thread could concerns the SF tweet..

I'm pretty sure if I looked back over your post history, there wouldnt be many posts about Sammy, the bould Lord Kilcooley and the rest but plenty about shinners

Both sides, doesnt really work when you have to go "oh yeah, them too" :)

• Advertisement

Look at the Finucane killing for the loyalists side..

To them he was as legitimate a target as some who died from IRA killings..

I personally think his murder was terrorism that the British Army/State were involved in

It’s the usual back and forth from both sides here..

Advertisement