Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene Foster at it again...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,604 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Bambi wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure if I looked back over your post history, there wouldnt be many posts about Sammy, the bould Lord Kilcooley and the rest but plenty about shinners

Both sides, doesnt really work when you have to go "oh yeah, them too" :)

And plenty about republicans and nationalist in praise..

I have always had respect and admiration and support for republicans and nationalists up North who have had to fight for their lives to exist.

I have also made the claim that there would be no peace without the IRA. They were very important in bringing about a peace..

Now, this is the 21sr century: we need to move on from the past and embrace togetherness and inclusiveness and friendship. It is the only way.

So, if either side clearly stray from this, they deserve to be criticised..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

walshb wrote: »
    Look at the Finucane killing for the loyalists side..

To them he was as legitimate a target as some who died from IRA killings..

I personally think his murder was terrorism that the British Army/State were involved in

It’s the usual back and forth from both sides here..

How do you stand on the possible Garda collusion in the loyalist murder of Eddie Fullerton?

How do you stand on the possible Garda collusion in the loyalist murder of Eddie Fullerton?

I haven’t read up on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,214 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

P.S. I didn't know there was a time limit on objecting to this kind of stuff and being 'evenhanded' in your criticism.

If you object to what Stanley said, you would be on the post above objecting to it as well. If you were being evenhanded that is.
    That post says Finucane was a legitimate target of the state.

You said that right now (13:17), there were people over on the thread defending the British assassination.

I went over and looked - there were none.

Previously, there was one poster defending it - they got threadbanned.

There is a second poster who is ironically taking the line that it was a war (I assume you agree with that) and that made Finucane a legitimate target (maybe Finucane's brother he was thinking of). I don't agree that it is a war, but I am not rehashing that argument in that thread, so I didn't respond.

If they threadbanned immediately all those who defend terrorist actions, we would be here all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,948 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    You said that right now (13:17), there were people over on the thread defending the British assassination.

I went over and looked - there were none.

Previously, there was one poster defending it - they got threadbanned.

There is a second poster who is ironically taking the line that it was a war (I assume you agree with that) and that made Finucane a legitimate target (maybe Finucane's brother he was thinking of). I don't agree that it is a war, but I am not rehashing that argument in that thread, so I didn't respond.

If they threadbanned immediately all those who defend terrorist actions, we would be here all day.

As wishy washy defences go that takes some beating. Your lack of 'evenhandedness' is dependent on me using a turn of phrase 'right now'?

And you don't want to 'rehash' arguments? :):)

I think we are done here on the 'we are even handed in our condemnation' claims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Look at the Finucane killing for the loyalists side..

To them he was as legitimate a target as some who died from IRA killings..

I personally think his murder was terrorism that the British Army/State were involved in

It’s the usual back and forth from both sides here..

When Sovereign states commit crimes they aren't deemed terrorist acts, sovereign states are supposed to be held to higher standards...

Pat Finucane's murder could be deemed a war crime, a sovereign state murdering a man, his blood and the blood of many killed at the hands of the Brits stains HRM in Buckingham Palace

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Sinn Fein are a pox and an embarrassment. They hadn't got the balls to run enough candidates to win the election outright, proving they don't want to be in government. Then they have idiots like this fella, McElduff posing with a kingsmill loaf on his head and that other thick in the South East singing about the 'RA' when he got elected.

Sinn Fein have been the biggest opposition party for some time now and have let this government away with murder because they're all fart and no ****e. No balls to step up and no workable policies, only guff and bluster trying to keep us in the 70s

You voted Sinn Féin.. Didn't Yaaaaaaa!? ;)

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    When Sovereign states commit crimes they aren't deemed terrorist acts, sovereign states are supposed to be held to higher standards...

Pat Finucane's murder could be deemed a war crime, a sovereign state murdering a man, his blood and the blood of many killed at the hands of the Brits stains HRM in Buckingham Palace

War crime, terrorist act....whatever words...It was state collusion and absolutely abhorrent.

As wishy washy defences go that takes some beating. Your lack of 'evenhandedness' is dependent on me using a turn of phrase 'right now'?

And you don't want to 'rehash' arguments? :):)

I think we are done here on the 'we are even handed in our condemnation' claims.

I didn't use the phrase "right now" to exaggerate my claim - you did, and I called you out on it.

Apart from the one person who was threadbanned, you still haven't produced anything to back up your statement that right now (13:17), there were people over on the thread defending the British assassination.

It doesn't happen on unionist threads, the only posters who defend terrorist acts are on Sinn Fein threads.

I didn't use the phrase "right now" to exaggerate my claim - you did, and I called you out on it.

Apart from the one person who was threadbanned, you still haven't produced anything to back up your statement that right now (13:17), there were people over on the thread defending the British assassination.

It doesn't happen on unionist threads, the only posters who defend terrorist acts are on Sinn Fein threads.

You have somebody legitimising the killibg of a solicitor.
    Not a peep out of you.

You can be pedantic ss much as you wish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

War crime, terrorist act....whatever words...It was state collusion and absolutely abhorrent.

Oh I agree, my point was that a sovereign state is supposed to be held to higher standard

You have somebody legitimising the killibg of a solicitor.
    Not a peep out of you.

You can be pedantic ss much as you wish.

The poster was reported and threadbanned, what more do you want?

The poster was reported and threadbanned, what more do you want?

costacorta was. The poster I quoted has not been.

costacorta was. The poster I quoted has not been.

From my perspective, that poster was engaged in parody at your expense, calling the conflict a war (which it wasn't but which you proclaim night and day on here) and that as a participant on one side, Finucane can have no complaints. Perhaps I got that wrong and he is genuinely defending it, but you certainly can't criticise him when you have engaged in the exact same thing from the opposite perspective.

He was calling out your hypocrisy in my opinion.

From my perspective, that poster was engaged in parody at your expense, calling the conflict a war (which it wasn't but which you proclaim night and day on here) and that as a participant on one side, Finucane can have no complaints. Perhaps I got that wrong and he is genuinely defending it, but you certainly can't criticise him when you have engaged in the exact same thing from the opposite perspective.

He was calling out your hypocrisy in my opinion.

Sure he was blanch.

You showed your true colours blanch. You couldn't care less about Loyalist/British violence, one agenda and one only.

Sure he was blanch.

You showed your true colours blanch. You couldn't care less about Loyalist/British violence, one agenda and one only.

Francie,

These type posts only show desperation..

Calling out issues a poster has with SF or the IRA seems to be bugging you to the point of these type immature replies from you..

Nowhere is it at all obvious or clear, or even implied that blanch either couldn’t care about loyalist atrocities or is excusing them..

But because the poster has pointed out his/her issues with SF, you are resorting to this silliness.

Francie,

These type posts only show desperation..

Calling out issues a poster has with SF or the IRA seems to be bugging you to the point of these type immature replies from you..

Nowhere is it at all obvious or clear, or even implied that blanch either couldn’t care about loyalist atrocities or is excusing them..

But because the poster has pointed out his/her issues with SF, you are resorting to this silliness.

Don't claim evenhandedness if you aren't - simple.

If you say you call it out on both sides, there should be plenty of evidence. There isn't...not even today when posters where legitimising killing by the British state.

Don't claim evenhandedness if you aren't - simple.

If you say you call it out on both sides, there should be plenty of evidence. There isn't...not even today when posters where legitimising killing by the British state.

Where was blanch legitimising-excusing loyalist wrongdoings/atrocities?

What?

What?

Ok,

So he/she wasn’t..

Leave it there!

• Advertisement

I have never legitimised or excused loyalist wrongdoings and atrocities.

Francie's problem is that I don't condemn them enough to his satisfaction.

I have never legitimised or excused loyalist wrongdoings and atrocities.

Francie's problem is that I don't condemn them enough to his satisfaction.

No, I am just amazed that somebody so trenchantly concerned with human rights and right and wrong is missing on a thread where people are discussing State collusion in murder and where some are condoning it and watering down the seriousness of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

No, I am just amazed that somebody so trenchantly concerned with human rights and right and wrong is missing on a thread where people are discussing State collusion in murder and where some are condoning it and watering down the seriousness of it.

But they aren't Francie, they aren't.

The issue of a public inquiry is separate to the issue of the incident itself.

The killing of Finucane was wrong, very wrong, but the thread is about a public inquiry, not about the incident.

But they aren't Francie, they aren't.

The issue of a public inquiry is separate to the issue of the incident itself.

The killing of Finucane was wrong, very wrong, but the thread is about a public inquiry, not about the incident.

There are numerous posts condoning it and posts trying to water it down.

You have made a post on that thread praising Micheál Martin and said nothing else on that thread.

Has Arlene caused the Ceann Comhairle to over reach and maybe have to step down himself?

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1334104828990148608

Has Arlene caused the Ceann Comhairle to over reach and maybe have to step down himself?

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1334104828990148608

For a nothing to see here tweet, it has certainly gone on a while. Will be making Six-One News again tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bocaman

Murder is murder pure and simple be that by the Paras on Bloody Sunday in Derry or against the Paras in Warrenpoint.

Personally I'm delighted Ms. Foster is paying attention to events in the Dail. In 20 years time she'll have the opportunity to sit there as a TD representing her constituency.

For a nothing to see here tweet, it has certainly gone on a while. Will be making Six-One News again tonight.

Who said it was a 'nothing to see here tweet'.
    My opinion of it is clear, it was insensitive and he may very well have to go if the others can mount a campaign against him.

As he is due to make a statement around now, I am sure that will make the news.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Who said it was a 'nothing to see here tweet'.
    My opinion of it is clear, it was insensitive and he may very well have to go if the others can mount a campaign against him.

As he is due to make a statement around now, I am sure that will make the news.

My thought is had he mentioned just Kilmichael he was bang spot on.

Advertisement