Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE - head to correct thread if you want to discuss masks again

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

If there is to be a thread on RTE then the discussion needs to be focused on exactly that - RTE.

Take any further discussion of masks to the appropriate thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Boggles wrote: »
    Why would it be interesting if it isn't real? :confused:

It's not real by the way.

I feel the same to be honest. It's interesting in that the first comment below says their friend gets the same message in France.

A default message perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I wonder will Miriam O Callaghan and David McCulagh have the humility to avoid commenting on the golf gate lads or people having pints in the street now that they've thrown away any moral authority to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It just underlines that Irish people are hypocrites. They want restrictions but not for themselves.

RTE are lucky this broke now and not in the summer.

RTÉ don't exist in the same universe as you or I. Theirs is a secure bubble, where job losses and paycuts are fiction. Propped up by the taxpayer, the bonfire of money well fed. And then the condescending narrative day after day: "Do as I say, not as I do". Deliberating undermining sectors of society which they perceive as expendable, retail and hospitality in particular. And then protecting similarly priviliged interests in the HSE, numerous outbreaks in hospitals and nursing homes played down as much as possible. The wider public ('plebs' in D4 speak) have had enough of this biased swill, we contribute to their salaries and damaging lies are no acceptable.

• Advertisement

Sean O'Rourke got the boot over Golf Gate. Should Eileen Dunne and the rest of them face a similar fate?

Look at this post from thebaz in the relaxation thread:

thebaz wrote: »
    Yestreday RTE - yes RTE - were headlining with a story that the second wave was 90% less fatal than the first wave according to our Minister of Health Stephen Donnelly :-

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1119/1179261-daily-virus-figures/

Of course today and later last night the story got buried by the non stop NPHET Fear propangda about how we are in all danger / we are not doing ennegh etc etc -

What the **** is going on - am I going crazy but why is this story not been broadcast as the many story today -

Why can the media not focus on some positivity instaed of non stop misery , and the authorities contintuing to treat the public like bold stupid children.

I took a screenshot of the whole page and while it's been compressed in quality, the point still stands - it's over halfway down the page.

F*ck sake. The miserable middle at the very top, and then the better news buried down the page.

Screenshot-2020-11-20-RTE-Ireland-s-National-Television-and-Radio-Broadcaster.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

^^^^

Its a propaganda station

Trump called it years ago and we all laughed at him, myself included

The man is a fool and made many many mistakes, but time will be kind to that man, in 10 - 20 years from now on certain subject's

Sean O'Rourke got the boot over Golf Gate. Should Eileen Dunne and the rest of them face a similar fate?

It will be on the back pages tomorrow

No one is going against RTE

Thierry12 wrote: »
    ^^^^

Its a propaganda station

Trump called it years ago and we all laughed at him, myself included

The man is a fool and made many many mistakes, but time will be kind to that man, in 10 - 20 years from now on certain subject's

Trump commented on RTE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

It will be on the back pages tomorrow

No one is going against RTE

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you are no fan of CNN either?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,651 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

froog wrote: »

Yep, all main stream media are fake news.

BigBob55 on my twitter feed told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭Archeron

I've come to hate Rte so much over the past few months that sometimes I think I might turn into the incredible hulk. Shower of Nphet pandering manipulative asshats. Then they have the gall to run that recent ad about how they speak the truth. I've seen first hand since March with my own elderly dad how they just try to instill a never ending cycle of fear and misery. I would happily see rte shut down for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Impressive that Phil Collins was working at RTE, guys. I nearly wet myself on the spot when I found that out there. If Phil Collins was working with any of you people who are quick to admonish our personalities at rte I am fairly sure you would party on too. Hypocrisy is alive and well. Fiona in Meath has been baking cupcakes every day since march. Wash your hands. The dark wave of interminable fear in George Lee's eyes really concerns me, thousand yard stare, the things he must have seen, like Twink. On the upside he also got to see Phil Collins .

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Impressive that Phil Collins was working at RTE, guys. I nearly wet myself on the spot when I found that out there. If Phil Collins was working with any of you people who are quick to admonish our personalities at rte I am fairly sure you would party on too. Hypocrisy is alive and well. Fiona in Meath has been baking cupcakes every day since march. Wash your hands. The dark wave of interminable fear in George Lee's eyes really concerns me, thousand yard stare, the things he must have seen, like Twink. On the upside he also got to see Phil Collins .

tenor.gif?itemid=13851901

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭AlanG

These presenters have definitely lost all moral authority they had. I feel the RTE coverage has been very over the top and scaremongering. Clearly their top presenters think the same. They consistently report people who died with suspected COVID as dying from COVID. Two completely different things.

Rte are loving the coverage they're getting. Up until covid popped up they were reportedly in a bad way. This must have given them a second wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 clairevoyant

bet they wont be asked to step down from their pedestals in RTE though

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

I notice a lot of people on these forums giving out about RTE and there presenters they should do what I have done and give up watching it have not watched it in years and do not subscribe to live TV got sick of there PC news reporting stories and biased news - with the exception of Sport there is nothing worth watching that's my opinion though.

As much as it despises me having to hand over €160 of my hard earned money I have no choice to pay the license for TV as I have access to TV for my kids who watch Netflix you tube and XBOX with the exception of the Toy Show once a year they don't watch live TV and have no interest,

froog wrote: »

One of the sad effects of Trump is that so many Irish people defend CNN. When before CNN was viewed as tabloid rubbish to us. The worst kind of media.

• Advertisement

Joe Duffy has it on now.

Anyone that is actually doing the restrictions must surely feel stupid now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I think what the presenters did goes to the crux of the Covid problem, that is that everyone kinda thinks they themselves have unique exceptional circumstances for putting the guidelines aside here and there.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,558 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Masks posts since prior warning deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I think RTE in general is poor and their news output is particularly is weak.

There's a definite love of negativity. Part of this is journalistic laziness in that a large proportion of their stories are simply moany press releases and lobby pieces from NGOs with axes to grind. If they did any sort of proper journalistic analysis of the claims they wouldn't bother putting them up because it's not real news.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭BrianD3

As well as the lack of social distancing, a question would need to be asked about whether some who were at that presentation should have been WFH or if they were WFH did they "just pop in to wish Phil luck". Or indeed whether Phil herself should have been there (linkedin says that there is a Phil Collins in RTE who is a reception supervisor so probably justifiable)

I'm aware that this all sounds very petty but that is a consequence of the restrictions that have been imposed on people and the already poor opinion that people had of RTE.

Teddible Joe.

They stood for a picture, they should be fired Joe.

Teddible.

Is that about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Rte are loving the coverage they're getting. Up until covid popped up they were reportedly in a bad way. This must have given them a second wind.

A second wind in ratings definitely, but I think there was a recent article about their revenue being very much fúcked

Couldn't have happened to a "nicer" organisation

Boggles wrote: »
    Teddible Joe.

They stood for a picture, they should be fired Joe.

Teddible.

Is that about it?

No worse than Chief Medical Officer Tony then

Masks dont work for an airborne virus he said for months and came back to ramble on about heavy traffic

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    A second wind in ratings definitely, but I think there was a recent article about their revenue being very much fúcked

Couldn't have happened to a "nicer" organisation

For sure

They'll be gone when this pandemic is over

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

For sure

They'll be gone when this pandemic is over

They're too big to ever fully be gone. But there will be huge cuts made internally

Tubridy isn't worth €495,000 a year or anywhere close to it

Advertisement