Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE - head to correct thread if you want to discuss masks again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

The way Covid seemed to be rampant in RTE, I wouldn’t be surprised if more than one of them photographed has already had the virus, if you know what I mean ;):cool:

duffysfarm wrote: »
    We dont know what was in the cups but we do know they didnt social distance, that is quite obvious.

For workplaces that are deemed essential as long as contacts are traceable, that’s all that matters. Where I work, for those in jobs that don’t have a desk, 4 people sit together for lunch everyday as long as who sits with whom is controlled.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 192 ✭✭Deshawn

Party paid for by your license fee.
    Real value for money. Pass the punch Miriam

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

So having what looks like a party, putting your arms around your work colleages for photos is deemed essential? No wonder the numbers are not going down in level 5 with this carry on..

Donald trump does things like this and the internet nearly explodes....

QUOTE=Deleted User;115363753]For workplaces that are deemed essential as long as contacts are traceable, that’s all that matters. Where I work, for those in jobs that don’t have a desk, 4 people sit together for lunch everyday as long as who sits with whom is controlled.[/QUOTE]

So having what looks like a party, putting your arms around your work colleages for photos is deemed essential? No wonder the numbers are not going down in level 5 with this carry on..

Donald trump does things like this and the internet nearly explodes....

QUOTE=Deleted User;115363753]For workplaces that are deemed essential as long as contacts are traceable, that’s all that matters. Where I work, for those in jobs that don’t have a desk, 4 people sit together for lunch everyday as long as who sits with whom is controlled.
    [/quote]

False equivalences abound

• Advertisement

have to get my dictionary out for that one.........

False equivalences abound[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

We have to cull the minks... just saying.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

For workplaces that are deemed essential as long as contacts are traceable, that’s all that matters. Where I work, for those in jobs that don’t have a desk, 4 people sit together for lunch everyday as long as who sits with whom is controlled.

you seem like the kind of guy that would argue with his pet cat.

froog wrote: »
    you seem like the kind of guy that would argue with his pet cat.

It’s seems like in boards world, not advocating people are sacked for blowing up a few balloons and posing for a brief photo with an departing colleague is the abnormal view. Strange

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I don't think any of us would come out looking perfect if every photo taken over the past few months was scrutinised.

In saying that I take ForestFire's point about people being in positions of trust and particularly influence. If you are subject to greater scrutiny than the average person, you have to be extra careful. The people involved had the good sense to get out early and apologise, and I think RTE themselves now need to put out something bland about how they are re-emphasising to all employees the need to take precautions against Covid yadda yadda yadda.

• Advertisement

i would have to agree with you that posing for a photo should be not be a problem but when you work for a national broadcaster partially funded by the taxpayer you have to be beyond reproach, especially when the daily news broadcast of that same broadcaster reports constantly on people who make the similar mistakes to what they just did themselves. i mean last week there was some one on rte saying that christmas should be postponed and celebrated in january. why couldnt rte postpone the going away party and hold it at a later date?

It’s seems like in boards world, not advocating people are sacked for blowing up a few balloons and posing for a brief photo with an departing colleague is the abnormal view. Strange

these specific presenters were grilling golf gate people not so long ago. pretty mercilessly. it looks bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭banie01

No he was never in favour of them Cillian de Gascun the same. It was Ronan Glynn brought them in while Tony was off. They don't prevent the user from getting Covid that's blatantly obvious at this stage.

I'm trying to understand your logic here so help me out if I'm wrong.

According to you Dr Tony never wanted masks and they were snuck in by Glynn when Tony was off?
    Except NPHET recommended masks in situations where social distancing wasn't possible on the 25th of April, on Tony's watch.
    He didn't go on leave until early July, yes the mandatory mask wearing came in, in August but let's be honest not many weren't wearing them from late March early April.
    Do you think that Masks wouldn't have been have been mandated if Tony hadn't gone on leave?
    Given how closely NPHET have followed WHO advice?

So if the masks don't work to stop you catching the Virus?( And they don't, it's never been claimed anything other than not would), what is their purpose?
    What has been the actual advice given regarding the masks from their implementation?
    You said earlier that

Fact:
    "A major Danish study has found face masks give no clear protection from Covid-19 infection to the wearer"

What is very odd about that particular "Fact" and the incomplete snippet you chose to selectively quote is that in its entirety it funnily enough explicitly states it doesn't review the exact the reason that people were advised to wear masks.

In full, that "fact" reads.
    A major Danish study has found face masks give no clear protection from Covid-19 infection to the wearer, but did not examine whether the wearer protects others by using the item.
    Source: https://www.thelocal.dk/20201118/danish-study-finds-no-clear-evidence-face-masks-protect-wearer-from-covid-19-infection

Why are you so intellectually dishonest that you would still to using selective editing to support whatever your current position is?

i'm just trying to figure out what "gate" this is. nothing really rolls off the tongue. RTEgate? goingawaygate? photogate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭ForestFire

i'm just trying to figure out what "gate" this is. nothing really rolls off the tongue. RTEgate? goingawaygate? photogate?

#Licence2KillGate (TM)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Unless you have been living like a hermit for the last 6 months you would notice these markings on the ground inside and outside shops. They are 2 metres apart and its called SOCIAL DISTANCING. it would apply to photos also....

Irony of ironies..they were standing on the f*cking 2m Apart markers taking the photos :rolleyes:

Phil_and_Eileen_Dunne.jpg

Thierry12 wrote: »
    That's true

Who leaked the photos anyway?

No-one leaked it, it was put up on an RTE staff site last week, they've since taken it down, but the internet never forgets (which is more than can be said for RTE staffers)

ForestFire wrote: »
    #Licence2KillGate (TM)

catchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

No-one leaked it, RTE put it up on their staff site last week, they've since taken it down, but the internet never forgets (which is more than can be said for RTE staffers)

And Claire Byrne on RTE earlier desperately taking orders in her ear from RTE head honchos to blame the sun on the photos and RTE never published them.

Was hilarious listening live to the panic as the story broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Well that's not true at all.

All canteens have been adjusted for social distancing.

Jesus every shop, take away, macdonalds, garage, you name it.

Yet it's OK for the RTE privileged to ignore social distancing???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Well that's not true at all.

All canteens have been adjusted for sicial distancing.

Department of Health carried out a suprise inspection in our place in the summer and made a few recommendations

Surprised as we were very good

They'd want to call to RTE head office and recommend no parties, social distancing, masks to be worn and no hugging ;-)

hang on, are you saying contact tracing is the only control measure recommended by the HSE/HSA if you're an essential workplace? you need to talk to your boss pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Eileen Dunne just apologised on the 9 o'clock news. Quite awkward and bizarre but probably enough to draw a line under this.

hang on, are you saying contact tracing is the only control measure recommended by the HSE/HSA if you're an essential workplace? you need to talk to your boss pal.

Reading comprehension is a massive problem here obviously. Controlled contacts where unavoidable, know who is in contact with who where, people remain within their small groups, typically less than 4 people, no contacts at less than two metres for more than 15 minutes outside those unavoidable groupings. Nothing to prevent 2 colleagues having a 1 minute conversation however. And the hse are perfectly happy with the measures. If there is a confirmed case on site they don’t even question the lust of work contacts provided

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭peterofthebr

Can't see how RTE can interview anyone on covid restrictions while this is still in peoples minds..

Reading comprehension is a massive problem here obviously. Controlled contacts where unavoidable, know who is in contact with who where, people remain within their small groups, typically less than 4 people, no contacts at less than two metres for more than 15 minutes outside those unavoidable groupings. Nothing to prevent 2 colleagues having a 1 minute conversation however. And the hse are perfectly happy with the measures. If there is a confirmed case on site they don’t even question the lust of work contacts provided

what you said was;

"For workplaces that are deemed essential as long as contacts are traceable, that’s all that matters."

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Eileen Dunne just apologised on the 9 o'clock news. Quite awkward and bizarre but probably enough to draw a line under this.

No.
    If Clifden necessitated heads on plates (people who should have had more cop-on), then by the same standards, so should this.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,526 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

No.
    If Clifden necessitated heads on plates (people who should have had more cop-on), then by the same standards, so should this.

Is it the same as golf gate?

The elites on a jolly?

Versus

A few pics at the office of someone leaving?

But but but they had a balloon!!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

We dont know what was in the cups but we do know they didnt social distance, that is quite obvious.

Well you know they didn't social distance for a moment for a photo. That's all you know. They made a mistake and let their guard down for a moment. Yes, it looks bad, but I think this one is overblown.

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    Is it the same as golf gate?

The elites on a jolly?

Versus

A few pics at the office of someone leaving?

Could use that same description to describe RTE staff , unaccountable closed shop being subsidised massively by the taxpayer.

Advertisement