Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tarmac drive price 600m2 .

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bideye

that grass is a curse - I have it up through my tarmac as well - cannot get rid of it just keeps pushing through each year - would love if anyone knows how to get rid of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

bmm, thats not grass its horsetail weed one of the oldest plants on earth, the roots could be yards long, the only way to kill it is neat roundup scuff it and pour on, boiling water is also good.. It more than likely came in in sand for your build..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

macadam wrote: »
    bmm, thats not grass its horsetail weed one of the oldest plants on earth, the roots could be yards long, the only way to kill it is neat roundup scuff it and pour on, boiling water is also good.. It more than likely came in in sand for your build..
    you don't work around Dublin do you

you don't work around Dublin do you
    Was in Dublin 15 this past 3 days..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Was in Dublin 15 this past 3 days..
    Can you pm me on your details, I'm looking to get the back end of my garden done ,it's an entrance off a lane so I'm looking to tidy it up with tarmac the area is 19 by 49 ft roughly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Yeah, have put loads of boiling water on it over the years.

Any idea what to do with the holes it leaves behind ??

tx

bmm wrote: »
    Yeah, have put loads of boiling water on it over the years.

Any idea what to do with the holes it leaves behind ??

tx

Make sure its dead, cut them out twice the size at least of the damged area and get it patched, leave it until next summer and paint the whole driveway with Liquafix S..

bmm wrote: »
    Hi,

i had tarmac laid in 2005. By 2007 weeds were growing thru the tarmac. see foto. I have been going around with weed killer since then but sometimes the weeds have already pushed the tarmac out by the time i get to them. Is there a patching kit or something i could use to patch these areas. i saw a bag of tar in a diy shop . Could i melt this and pour it on. I have no budget to replace the tarmac. Thanks.

6313631732_434dc8b1cd_z.jpg

Spray it with Argitox...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Bloody horsetail.

I recently got a bit of tarmac done, and I had horsetail on an area. The guy doing the tarmac give it a spray for a couple of days before laying the tarmac, but he was honest enough to tell me that this stuff would eventually make its way through.

How long do you think its going to take to see the light of day?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

I assume if laid correctly and thick enough then these type of weeds will never come through?

• Advertisement

I would imagine that after a few years the tarmac would become brittle and several years of freeze/thaw, the surface would crack then seeds get in and grow.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Bloody horsetail.

I recently got a bit of tarmac done, and I had horsetail on an area. The guy doing the tarmac give it a spray for a couple of days before laying the tarmac, but he was honest enough to tell me that this stuff would eventually make its way through.

How long do you think its going to take to see the light of day?
    It could appear anytime its a hard weed to kill but the argitox or pure roundup every time it appears will do the job

893bet wrote: »
    I assume if laid correctly and thick enough then these type of weeds will never come through?

The only way you could be certain of it not appearing if it was present before is to excavate to approx 2mtrs depth, its one of the toughest weeds in the world..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭rambojon

Hi mac.. Looking at getting driveway done ,, measured at 530sq m .. And 2 guys quoted 6500 and 8000. Kerbing done and well compacted as I'm driving on it for yrs as is ..both say they will put down 1.5 to 2 inches . But didn't say of wat ..? I just presume they know wat to put down .. Should I ask them.. I asked for Tarmac drive that was it .. How do these prices seem ..? (Big diff for basically doing the same job .)tonneage 1 guy said was 47 is this accurate ..? Thanks in advance !

I would be allowing 65 tons of stone mastic asphalt, wearing course macadam is no longer suitable for driveways which are more heavily trafficked now than 20 years ago and with the improvement of power steering and larger wheels it will only be a matter of years you will have holes in wearing course macadam.
    The €6500 sounds to me like this guy is going to have to rip you off to make a profit ie he will probably lay a maximum depth of 30mm which will probably last 3-4 years max, you really need to be laying 60mm of SMA and compacting it down to 50mm it should last you a minimum of 20 years..
    The guy that said 47 ton will only be laying a compacted depth of approx 35mm again you are being screwed, if you went into a store and ordered 2" nails aand the guy only gave you 1 1/2" nails would you take them? No because they probably would be no use to you.
    Ge a written quote from each of them when you have it then ask the finished depth and the amount of material it will take for it, please dont get conned..
    Are these guys laying by hand or machine, you can PM me there details if you wish and Ill check out if their all above board..

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭c07

Hey macadam, we're finally looking into getting Tarmac done on our drive. I would guesstimate at about 800sqm, including kerbing. There is a base there, pretty compacted from approx 8yrs driving on it. But couldn't tell u if we need more.
    My question to you is, would you have details of reputable and reasonable Tarmac layers that would service the south kildare area? If you could pm some contacts, that would be mucho appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bigred ATC

Hi, I'm looking for quotes for laying 400sq m SMA on my driveway which has 804 laid over 4years with kerbs in place in North Donegal ?
    Any help much appreciated.

Get a few quotes and pm me the details, its well up from me so I will help you as best I can to get the best job done, may not be the cheapest..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bigred ATC

Hi Macadam, got one quote for driveway..
    Lay 413m sq SMA 50mm finished @ €12 / m excl vat = €4956

How does this sound? What difference in cost of asphalt v SMA ?

Thanks.

Can you PM me the quote you got, Im nowhere near Donegal, but I'd be very sceptical, of a price like that.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 FarmersSon

Anyone have a price per m2 (euro or sterling) for 'sealing' a Stone Mastic Asphalt (SMA) driveway with tar.

Have a few customers, where their SMA driveways are full of moss and weeds. Spraying and scraping it off only works so long.

Granted some sections are not trafficked that much, and that is probably what causes so much moss.

TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 phile0912

Can anyone give me some advice on what I have been quoted for, I have a small business with a carpark and then a driveway leading to my house. The carpark gets around 10 cars on it a day and some 7.5 tonne vehicles once a week and the driveway has 1 car once a day and the occasional septic tank lorry. The sub base for the carpark is fairly solid with the occasional soft area but the driveway has received a lot of wear through recent construction work, both are currently have gravel and been in place around 20 plus years.
    Below is what the contractor has advised-

Drive – 235m2
    1) Excavate area to a depth of 280mm and cart all muck off site.
    2) Install new flat top path edgings to perimeter of drive on 150mm concrete bed and haunch.
    3) Compact sub base and roll out weed control terram.
    4) Spread and compact 200mm of Type 1 Granite.
    5) Machine lay 50mm thickness of 20mm Dense Binder Course.
    6) Machine lay 30mm thickness of 6mm Stone Mastic Asphalt Surface Course.

Parking & Access – 464m2
    1) Grade existing surface making up levels with road plannings.
    2) Cut keyway joints to existing surfaces and bitumen.
    3) Machine lay 50mm thickness of 6mm Stone Mastic Asphalt Surface Course.

He quoted €30,000. Is that Reasonable?

Does this sound like a good job and will the car park (parking and access) be Ok with just 50mm on the existing sub base as it is will get more wear than a domestic driveway.
    Any advice would be most appreciated.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

No mention of drainage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

phile0912 wrote: »
    Can anyone give me some advice on what I have been quoted for, I have a small business with a carpark and then a driveway leading to my house. The carpark gets around 10 cars on it a day and some 7.5 tonne vehicles once a week and the driveway has 1 car once a day and the occasional septic tank lorry. The sub base for the carpark is fairly solid with the occasional soft area but the driveway has received a lot of wear through recent construction work, both are currently have gravel and been in place around 20 plus years.

Drive – 235m2
    2) Install new flat top path edgings to perimeter of drive on 150mm concrete bed and haunch.

Parking & Access – 464m2

Does this sound like a good job and will the car park (parking and access) be Ok with just 50mm on the existing sub base as it is will get more wear than a domestic driveway.
    Any advise would be most appreciated.

Sounds expensive to me.
    Macadam would be the man to give advice here (if he recovers from the heart attack he might get after reading your post :) )

You should at least get a few quotes to make sure you're not getting ripped off.

phile0912 wrote: »

Drive – 235m2

Parking & Access – 464m2

Any advice would be most appreciated.

A few things catch my eye straight away here, terram?? In 25 years Ive never used this on a driveway, if he's stripping the driveway there wont be any weeds that can come through, why is he stripping the driveway if by your account it is solid after 20 years of traffic, why are you getting occasional soft spots on the carpark?
    Driveways will a solid base, we are recommended to lay a minimum of 50mm wearing course, we never have a problem, my own driveway is done a number of years and I can bring 32tons across it anytime i have 60mm on mine.
    I would like to know how many kerbs are on the driveway to give you an approx costing also if you can Pm me some pictures they would help..
    The use of road plannings would also sound the alarm bells ringing, this is classed as toxic waste, if you are paying the astronomical amount he is charging for the works €30K, you should at least be getting top end products...
    €30k seems a right rip off to me.........

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭silverwood

Hi macadam, any chance you could please PM me a tarmac contractor you could recommend in Cork. I have about 310 square metres of area at the rear of my house that I need doing. The builders will have it prepared and ready for tarmacing.

What price per m2 is reasonable for a 50mm thickness.....about €14 or €15 per metre?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Hi,Im looking for a contractor to Tarmac around house about 300 sq meters,The area needs leveling off and a few gullys put in. What would the going rate per sq meter be now.Could anyone recommend a contractor in Roscommon or surrounding area
    Thanks in advance
    Mgn

mgn wrote: »
    Hi,Im looking for a contractor to Tarmac around house about 300 sq meters,The area needs leveling off and a few gullys put in. What would the going rate per sq meter be now.Could anyone recommend a contractor in Roscommon or surrounding area
    Thanks in advance
    Mgn

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Strip

Looking for recommendation in south galway please

• Advertisement

Strip wrote: »
    Looking for recommendation in south galway please

PM sent

Advertisement