Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New York Jets Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Bilal Powell is also back

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Jets finally get their man! A new GM caps off a roller coaster of an off season and you would have to say they are in a better position at the end of it. At least we have hope!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Good signing from the sounds of it, the good thing to see imo is a very long contract, means he's been given reassurance that his success isn't tied to Gase I would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

From a magazine here:

IMG-6796.jpg

IMG-6797.jpg

IMG-6798.jpg

IMG-6799.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    From a magazine here:

Thanks. Amusing they start with "it's a critical year for GM Mike Maccagnan." Perhaps a bit out of date :P

• Advertisement

Not much newsworthy in Jets land at the moment, but Saturday, possibly the best player overall in J E T S history is inducted into the HOF. #68, Kevin Mawae. Congratulations, best center the team's ever had and perhaps one of the top 2 or 3 ever.

Not too much noteworthy from last night, starters looked good, depth didn't.... Corners and kickers were poor. Good to have football back though!

Avery Williams out for the season with an ACL injury :(

phatkev wrote: »
    Avery Williams out for the season with an ACL injury :(

Yeah killer, although ILB is the one position where we look ok for depth. Hoping Cashman and another step into the void with a bit of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Carli Lloyd (the first woman to earn a college football scholarship to an NCAA school at the Division II level or higher) has reportedly gotten an offer from a NFL team (possibly 2 teams) to kick in a preseason game Thursday. But Lloyd can’t make it work because the national team plays Portugal that night. She was at the Philadelphia Eagles’ practice last week. Things got serious when she sent a kick sailing 55 yards through the uprights. Lloyd, 37, was on the US Women’s World Cup championship teams in 2015. She was also a two-time FIFA women’s world player of the year. I wonder if the Jets were the team to make the offer?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭franglan

From what I've seen she takes a fair run up to her kicks - would be interested to see her in a game situ.

notobtuse wrote: »
    Carli Lloyd (the first woman to earn a college football scholarship to an NCAA school at the Division II level or higher) has reportedly gotten an offer from a NFL team (possibly 2 teams) to kick in a preseason game Thursday. But Lloyd can’t make it work because the national team plays Portugal that night. She was at the Philadelphia Eagles’ practice last week. Things got serious when she sent a kick sailing 55 yards through the uprights. Lloyd, 37, was on the US Women’s World Cup championship teams in 2015. She was also a two-time FIFA women’s world player of the year. I wonder if the Jets were the team to make the offer?

It's just easy headlines, if she was actually getting calls (I doubt it), then so would a thousand male players be giving it a go.

franglan wrote: »
    From what I've seen she takes a fair run up to her kicks - would be interested to see her in a game situ.
    Fair point and was addressed in this article from SI.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/08/28/carli-lloyd-training-camp-field-goal

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Taylor Bertolet kicks 2 field goals and misses 3 in the Jets' 6-0 win over Eagles.

Last year's kicker Jason Myers was 8-for-9 in the preseason, with three field goals from 50+ yards. The $5.5 million he's making this year from Seattle doesn't look so hefty, now does it?

With all the promise this season, they're still the Jets.

Taylor Bertolet kicks 2 field goals and misses 3 in the Jets' 6-0 win over Eagles.

Last year's kicker Jason Myers was 8-for-9 in the preseason, with three field goals from 50+ yards. The $5.5 million he's making this year from Seattle doesn't look so hefty, now does it?

With all the promise this season, they're still the Jets.

So what you're saying is don't watch the last preaseaon game... Girl this carli one a call so.

Big surprise cutting Polite. Production not there but a lit of beat writers saying that they never used him as a pure pass rusher which is his main strength. The 53 man they released yesterday definitely should change with waiver claims today. The Jets could possibly sign 2 CBs 1 WR 1 kicker 1 OLB and even 1 RB.

Big surprise cutting Polite. Production not there but a lit of beat writers saying that they never used him as a pure pass rusher which is his main strength. The 53 man they released yesterday definitely should change with waiver claims today. The Jets could possibly sign 2 CBs 1 WR 1 kicker 1 OLB and even 1 RB.

Yeah any time I noticed him in the pre season they seemed to be using him as an all around OLB, not really sure why as coming he seemed to be solely suited to a pass rushing roll. Maybe the FO felt they couldn't take a one trick pony onto the 53 given how poor the squad depth is.

The depth at CB, S, Linebacker and O-line has me fairly worried

Fined 100k in his few months with us, unclaimed on waivers and eventually stashed on the Seahawks practice squad.... sounds like he has an awful attitude and wasn't wanted aroudn the place, we didn't even try and stash him on our PS.

hots wrote: »
    Fined 100k in his few months with us, unclaimed on waivers and eventually stashed on the Seahawks practice squad.... sounds like he has an awful attitude and wasn't wanted aroudn the place, we didn't even try and stash him on our PS.

Seems like it was the right thing to do. Not knocked out by waiver signings but they will provide depth. I still think we need a CB or two in the next few days.

Seems like it was the right thing to do. Not knocked out by waiver signings but they will provide depth. I still think we need a CB or two in the next few days.

Yeah I was surprised Dortch didn't hold on to a spot, hoping him and a couple of others sneak back to the PS.

• Advertisement

franglan wrote: »
    So what you're saying is don't watch the last preaseaon game... Girl this carli one a call so.
    Bertolet’s gone. Kaare Vedvik, originally from Norway, is the Jets new kicker. And I understand he can punt, also. He didn’t have a great preseaon, either, but looked good before the start of the 2018 season... which ended before it even started because of an assault that left him with head and facial injuries, and some teeth were knocked out. Well, he's now out of dangers of violent Baltimore for the safety of New York City. :pac:

Poor first half from Jets offence. Sam very shaky behind porous offensive line. He is looking for Bell on every play. 4 turnovers by defence is excellent.

Poor first half from Jets offence. Sam very shaky behind porous offensive line. He is looking for Bell on every play. 4 turnovers by defence is excellent.

Defence has been good, but I cant help feel that if they were playing against a competent QB, they'd be a couple of scores down by now

Seem to be settling in in the 3rd quarter. Only complaint was the roughing penalty that enabled the Bills the FG, very avoidable.

Whether the Jets have a kicking game at all remains to be seen. I have a feeling it's audition time next week. Why is it so difficult to find a kicker...

Jaysus, Mosley goes off and the defence turns to sh1t

ugh, they're going to end up losing this game

What happened to Mosley?

Igotadose wrote: »
    What happened to Mosley?

reported as a groin injury

who'd off knew you'd need CB's to have a half decent defence! Johnson/Roberts are without a doubt the worst set of corners in the league

• Advertisement

"That was as bad a loss as you'll see", Ive definitely heard that somewhere before!

Horrible stuff. Sam terrible missed Robbie deep twice late on. O line didn't help. Cant understand why Gase didn't have Sam roll out a bit more when the pocket was collapsing all the time. Sam had about 8 passes batted down. Our corners are terrible but the turnovers should have been enough to cover for that today.

Horrible stuff. Sam terrible missed Robbie deep twice late on. O line didn't help. Cant understand why Gase didn't have Sam roll out a bit more when the pocket was collapsing all the time. Sam had about 8 passes batted down. Our corners are terrible but the turnovers should have been enough to cover for that today.

the first one was definitely on Darnold but Anderson seemed to stumble on the second one, cant really but the blame on a QB for that.

The offensive play calling seemed to be all over the place for the majority of the game, some really suspect calls

Daryll Roberts on the last Bill TB absolutely pathetic. A returner not a starting CB in the NFL.

Awful stuff, and all the things people have been saying all offseason as the problems, kicker, no corners, weak O line.

Still the same old Jets with a terrible fall-from-ahead loss?

• Advertisement

The early season optimism is gone even earlier than last year. Hopefully things will improve but its surely not a good sign that the Jets have moved on to their fourth kicker of the season after only 1 game played! If they dont win Monday an 0-6 start is very possible.

More blows to early season optimism with Enunwa out for the season. Nathan Shepherd is suspended for 6 games for PEDs and could be cut. Not too much to be positive about and Sam was even sent home with strep throat.

Kaare Vedvik out… Sam Ficken in? Why no talk of bringing back Nick Folk who I hear is playing in some independent league this year and is not too shabby?

Kaare Vedvik out… Sam Ficken in? Why no talk of bringing back Nick Folk who I hear is playing in some independent league this year and is not too shabby?

Heard someone mentioning him on a podcast and lots of love for Ross Martin on Twitter but it seems like this Jets regime has their own ideas on kickers and are looking for a young cheap option

Heard someone mentioning him on a podcast and lots of love for Ross Martin on Twitter but it seems like this Jets regime has their own ideas on kickers and are looking for a young cheap option
    Crazy! One of the best kickers and they had tons of cap space. I think I read somewhere 2018 had the most games ever in the NFL decided by 3 points or less.

• Advertisement

More blows to early season optimism with Enunwa out for the season. Nathan Shepherd is suspended for 6 games for PEDs and could be cut. Not too much to be positive about and Sam was even sent home with strep throat.

Man i feel bad for Enunwa! Its his second neck injury, so you'd have to wonder would he be better off retiring. The Thomas trade makes a lot more sense now
    Shepherd is no loss imo, he's been useless since he was drafted.
    Adams was on the injury report too :(

Jets and Pats have hated each other going back to Belichick bolting NY for NE. I don’t think the two teams have made player trades since. Now Brown might be facing suspension at the Pats for rape. Did Gase pull one over on them in getting Thomas?

Jets and Pats have hated each other going back to Belichick bolting NY for NE. I don’t think the two teams have made player trades since. Now Brown might be facing suspension at the Pats for rape. Did Gase pull one over on them in getting Thomas?

Prior to yesterday the Jets were the only team Belichick hadn't traded with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Did Gase pull one over on them in getting Thomas?
    I listen to the Patriots podcast (they cover everything (live from training camp etc) and they never had him definitely in the final roster, was always a cut candidate. The signs from the first game was that he wasn’t missed.
    Remains to be seen how he plays and his recovery from injury. A 6th round pick is nothing if he stays healthy and has a 1k yard season.

Darnold is out for the next few weeks with mono, what the actual fcuk? Season seems doomed before its even really started!

Le'Veon Bell going for an MRI on his shoulder.

Wow. Just. Wow.

Reading about mono it is the same as glandular fever. Apparently the spleen gets enlarged and any hit to the body could rupture it. It would be a surprise it he back before week 6. I remember reading that Novak Djokovic had it and it took him a long time to get back to the energy levels needed to play tennis at a high level.

Reading about mono it is the same as glandular fever. Apparently the spleen gets enlarged and any hit to the body could rupture it. It would be a surprise it he back before week 6. I remember reading that Novak Djokovic had it and it took him a long time to get back to the energy levels needed to play tennis at a high level.

Had the kissers disease myself when I was 17, missed school between mocks and orals in leaving cert. Wasnt starting in the NFL at the time though! He could be out for half the season.

Apparently he's lost a lot of weight in a very sort space of time as well

Trevor isint the worst backup to have tbh. Don't see the Jets trading for an interim starter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement