Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honestly, what do you think about Season 8? Mod warning post #1/#410

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Peatys wrote: »
    It feels like two completely different sets of people made the first 4 series to the second 4.

First is a world of epic proportions with naunced history spanning thousands of years, lately just feels like an extended action flick.

Still good in its own right, but not a patch on how the show was a few years ago.

When the tide goes out (i.e. you run out of GRRM material to adapt) you realise they have been swimming naked (i.e. the marked decline in the writing highlights how mediocre D&D are as writers to create original content).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

lawlolawl wrote: »
    It's a rather hollow experience so far.

Marvel's Game of Thrones.

I'd agree with hollow.
    I wouldn't agree with Marvel.

They got to the end of season 6 based on the books and GRRMs notes.

Once S7 hit then had the cruel task of finishing a story that had meandered all over the place. Few of the characters were anywhere near where they should be, in both character development and geography, so everything has been rushed and compressed.

All nuance, pacing, character development etc has been chucked to get to a finale, slashing and burning to get characters where they need to be, in the state they need to be in.

Definitely needed another 10 episode season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Sleepy wrote: »
    Benioff & Weiss had the Star Wars trilogy dangled in front of them and abandoned the show that should have been their masterpiece. Instead of doing the decent thing and handing it over to new show-runners who would take the time to conclude it properly

For me GOT is still the best TV show ever made. S5, S7 and S8 are not quite as good as the other seasons, like everyone else I agree the pacing in the last too seasons was too fast but I've still enjoyed EVERY episode of GOT, something good has happened in every episode. It's strange but after I accept they fecked up by shortening the last 2 seasons it comes down to every time I feel its going too fast its a case of saying to myself well they kinda have too move too fast as they have so much to cram in now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Season 7 was ropey as well and a lot of the pacing issues were caused by the desperately slow pace of seasons 5 and 6.

I'm still enjoying it, but in a "leave your brain at the door" kind of way. I laughed at a few of the scenes this week, including the supposedly emotional farewells between Jaime/Tyrion and Hound/Arya.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

It's spectacular television - outstanding set pieces, incredible SFX, great directing, great music, great editing.

The writing is dreadful.

Mirrors my own thoughts exactly. I am enjoying it, but my expectations are high and the writing is sub par based on previous seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Great spectacle but ultimately very dissappointing. I've felt like the quality has been sliding for quite some time but it is all coming home to roost in the final season.

It feels to me that D & D have tried to get to the same place that perhaps GRRM indicated he would be going but the seeds of all the problems were probably sown in earlier seasons when changes they made didn't hurt things then as much as they do now. Some examples.

Tyrion - they made some significant changes to his arc around the time of his trial in season 4 where they decided Shae was a woman scorned and some home truths Jaime passed on to him in the books were omitted. All of this may lead, in the books, to better explanations for where he ends up. Instead we get a character making more and more mistakes completely out of the blue.

Arya - I suspect the books might have substantially more in the training department than the TV shows sections of her getting hit on the head by a staff and stabbed in the belly meaning we might more readily accept her supergirl status.

Petyr Baelish - everything he did after Joffrey's wedding made no sense but again in the books it did and probably would continue to. One of either Varys or the Spider should have come out the other end of the game of thrones imo but Baelish's story was complete nonsense in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

Six episodes was always going to be too short.

Cleganebowl should have gotten an episode all to itself, a big lead in,, an even bigger fight with out in the open for all to see. (with a twist maybe)
    Cersei's death should have also gotten its own episode, The missed a big opportunity there.

I could go on, Varys and his ending might have been fleshed out more.

All in All,, they might have done better with two more episodes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Much like pizza, even when its bad its still pretty good. I really liked episodes 2 & 5. I thought 3 & 4 werent great. First episode was ok.

Also agree with the views about it being rushed, pacing being bad, poor plot decisions etc. But it is what it is and Id rather the end of the tv series was ruined by a rush job than the books being spoiled (subject of course to the books ever being finished)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Arya - I suspect the books might have substantially more in the training department than the TV shows sections of her getting hit on the head by a staff and stabbed in the belly meaning we might more readily accept her supergirl status.

I suspect/hope it will be the opposite and she wont be a superhero with ninja skills and will just be a sneaky face changing assassin and morally ambiguous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

It's gone seriously downhill since they ran out of book

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The fact we are even discussing this shows me how much of a flop this season has been. Disappointing after a 2 year wait.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

This season of the show has ruined a story I've been following for 23 years. Almost a quarter of a century and it's put to bed in shockingly poor fashion.

Dany goes mad. The Night King was just a big bad guy. Tyrion is now an idiot. Arya is a super ninja.

Disappointing doesn't sum it up. I doubt l buy the books if they're ever released.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Rushed because the showrunners heads were turned by the Star Wars trilogy and they wanted to finish this up as fast they possibly could.

Season 7 and 8 could have been a slower build to the showdown with the Night King and and finish off the story with season 9 as the battle for the throne and a more drawn out descent of Dany.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

J. Marston wrote: »
    Rushed because the showrunners heads were turned by the Star Wars trilogy and they wanted to finish this up as fast they possibly could.

I think the original distraction was Confederacy ,which has now been shelved.
    Good article here
    http://www.pajiba.com/tv_reviews/what-were-weiss-and-benioff-thinking-while-writing-the-final-season-of-game-of-thrones.php

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I'm finding it underwhelming, but part of that is because so much of the past seasons have been such amazing story telling. It's still good, but in a "competent writers with loads of money to spend" way. Loads of other series are as good if not better. Some of the lines made me laugh, the sporty sort of hangs together but it's just not what made GOT such an experience in the past.

Many of my criticisms have already been made here, but one that hasn't (I think) and that I don't get at all is the p1ss-poor writing of battle scenes. Well, Winterfell anyway (I'm away this week and have been instructed to wait till we're all home this weekend to watch the latest episode so I can't say anything about the battle for KL. V dubious about Daenerys just forgetting about the Iron fleet mind.)

But back to the Battle of Winterfell. It was spectacular, absolutely, but it had so much wrong with it. Unforgivable, with that budget. Why didn't they get a proper military adviser in, it's not like they couldn't afford one?

For instance, why would you start off by sacrificing your cavalry in the open field against a superior number when you've got the castle as defence? The Dothraki went so far out that the catapults were no use as cover - and then the trenches? Flaming trenches, great - but shouldn't you put them far enough away to keep your own forces inside them, and use the narrow passages to pick off your enemy as they come through? Instead of having them act as a bottleneck allowing your own troops to be killed by the enemy as they try and fail to retreat to the castle?

I'm no expert, but this is not even very complicated stuff, wasn't there a film about Ancient Greeks managing a lot better than that a long time ago? ;)

Oh and why didn't Bran warg to find out what the Dead were up to and where they were? Instead of sitting out in the wood waiting listlessly?

Thing is, they could have had a proper battle plan, and still, with the superior numbers of the Dead and their powers and so on it could still have been thrillingly close. Instead it stretched credibility. And that's the problem with the writing. It's effective as a spectacle, but it's not worthy of Game of Thrones.

That said, the non battle episodes have been better IMO, and I'll still watch to the end, but yeah, I'm disappointed with what they've failed to deliver so far.

satguy wrote: »

Cleganebowl should have gotten an episode all to itself,

ugh, I really didn't care much about Cleganebowl - the rivalry between them was never properly fleshed out in the TV series (maybe it's different in the books), and what was covered was like 5 seasons ago.

Since the 2 brothers were "resurrected" from their respective deaths they've had very little to do and have only been kept around for their eventual clash.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Failing to meet the standards it set for itself in earlier seasons. Still very good at times, but has sacrificed story, consistency, depth, and even logic for spectacle a bit too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Not impressed. I was expecting a twist but it played out in the most obvious fashion...

Not good enough by a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

HBO should have relieved the producers adnnd got a replacement who would take it to ten season.

You could have one season for the long night,
    One season for the battle of king landing and one season a battle between Danny and Jon.

So many of those characters deserved better send offs.

Jamie Lannister death deserved a better send off and it's own episode
    Same for cersei
    Same for the hound

None of the cast or grrm seem happy with the ending or the final two seasons.
    These lads butchered one of the greatest tv shows ever produced

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/game-of-thrones-has-descended-into-bumbling-spectacle-and-senseless-plots-1.3892012?mode=amp

They have ruined the show.

People not just suddenly totally acting out of character but actually doing a full 180.

Tyrion Smart to Idiot.
    Baelish. Cunning to coward.
    Varys. Whisperer to blabberer.
    Jamie. Noble to Callous.
    John. Dead to Alive to do what? Win staring contests.
    Arya. Faceless Superwoman who suddenly gives up for no reason.
    Dragons. Powerful to weak to powerful.
    Night King. Seriously. I mean wtf. Poof. Its wizard of oz ****. Im melting....
    Dany. Breaker of chains to mass murderer.
    Bronn. Nada
    Bran. Nada. Totally ignored.

No character or plot to go from A to Z

Acting good. Cinematography. Excellent.

You dont need budget and bang when the story and writing is good.

When it is rubbish as it has been then they dont add any gloss.

Im disappointed. I dont care what happens any more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I'm not going to watch the last episode..

Yeah, right...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭amacca

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/game-of-thrones-has-descended-into-bumbling-spectacle-and-senseless-plots-1.3892012?mode=amp

They have ruined the show.

People not just suddenly totally acting out of character but actually doing a full 180.

Tyrion Smart to Idiot.
    Baelish. Cunning to coward.
    Varys. Whisperer to blabberer.
    Jamie. Noble to Callous.
    John. Dead to Alive to do what? Win staring contests.
    Arya. Faceless Superwoman who suddenly gives up for no reason.
    Dragons. Powerful to weak to powerful.
    Night King. Seriously. I mean wtf. Poof. Its wizard of oz ****. Im melting....
    Dany. Breaker of chains to mass murderer.
    Bronn. Nada
    Bran. Nada. Totally ignored.

No character or plot to go from A to Z

Acting good. Cinematography. Excellent.

You dont need budget and bang when the story and writing is good.

When it is rubbish as it has been then they dont add any gloss.

Im disappointed. I dont care what happens any more

Agreed on practically all points.....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm enjoying it still for what it is. The writing's not what it was and they've done very poor service to some characters - Tyrion in particular - but it's not bothering me hugely. I can understand some people's frustrations although comments like "worst episode of any show ever" are ridiculous (unless this was the only show you watched).

The show didn't help itself when it had no books to use but I do think that the source material itself wasn't going anywhere - the last two books were meandering so I don't think I was ever going to get a satisfying conclusion in any medium. I eagerly devoured "A Storm of Swords" years ago and the books only fell from there, much like the show did at its halfway point (albeit it fell further).

Definitely though it's been far too rushed and I imagine it was the pile of dollars that kept D & D on board the most rather than from love of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It's gone from very smart to very dumb.

Happens with a lot of stuff unfortunately.

Creators start trying to please the 'whoop and holler' audience at the expense of subtlety.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Episode 1 - OK
    Episode 2 - Good, nice build-up
    Episode 3 - Spectacular but very flawed
    Episode 4 - Hmm this is a bit of a slow open.. OH GOD WHAT THE HELL IS THIS STUPIDITY?
    Episode 5 - Wtf is this sh*t? Hey that's a cool set piece, OH WHAT THE HELL IS THIS NONSENSE? Ooh cool battle! Rinse and repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 33,298 ✭✭✭✭Penn

loyatemu wrote: »
    ugh, I really didn't care much about Cleganebowl - the rivalry between them was never properly fleshed out in the TV series (maybe it's different in the books), and what was covered was like 5 seasons ago.

Since the 2 brothers were "resurrected" from their respective deaths they've had very little to do and have only been kept around for their eventual clash.

Have to agree. Never saw why it was being so hyped up. It's also not like they hadn't seen each other since childhood. We repeatedly heard over the seasons how much The Hound hated his brother, yet he seemingly never cared about killing him even to where we saw them briefly fight in Season 1 and The Hound stopped fighting him when King Robert ordered him to. They had no interaction other than that until last season and all of a sudden it became The Hound's life mission to kill his brother.

I enjoyed their fight a lot and it was a good end for The Hound, but it got as much if not a little more time than it deserved and it really seems like one of those things that was added because the fans were hyping it up rather than being in any way vital to the story.

loyatemu wrote: »

Completely agree. It's a microcosm that represents all of season 7/8. A cool looking moment that the fans wanted that didn't make a whole lot of sense. It's like fan fiction at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

I just can believe those 2 clowns have ruined what was (in its 1st 4 seasons) one of the best TV shows of all time.
    All so they can run off and make some castrated mess of Star Wars trilogy for Disney that nobody wants to see?
    If they were tired of GOT then hand it over I’m sure HBO could have found someone to do justice to the story over a few more seasons

Penn wrote: »
    Have to agree. Never saw why it was being so hyped up. It's also not like they hadn't seen each other since childhood. We repeatedly heard over the seasons how much The Hound hated his brother, yet he seemingly never cared about killing him even to where we saw them briefly fight in Season 1 and The Hound stopped fighting him when King Robert ordered him to. They had no interaction other than that until last season and all of a sudden it became The Hound's life mission to kill his brother.

I enjoyed their fight a lot and it was a good end for The Hound, but it got as much if not a little more time than it deserved and it really seems like one of those things that was added because the fans were hyping it up rather than being in any way vital to the story.

They could have left them both dead TBH.

Qyburn turning the Mountain into a zombie didn't really lead anywhere. In fact Qyburn turned out to be a fairly crap evil wizard. He didn't do anything with the severed wight hand he obtained last season, and clearly Kings Landing still had decent stocks of Wildfire but he didn't attempt to use them in the battle. No bonus for Qyburn this year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,502 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Pretty disappointing.

Maybe when I binge the whole lot in a few years this season won't stick out as such from an otherwise great show.

Advertisement