Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Northern Distributor Road

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

What's the actual planned alignment for this road

Is it not 60km/h one lane + one bus lane in either direction seperated by a kerb median with pedestrian/cyclist facilities? With all junctions either roundabouts or traffic lights? Sort of like the Groody-Parkway except with a bus lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

marno21 wrote: »
    What's the actual planned alignment for this road

Is it not 60km/h one lane + one bus lane in either direction seperated by a kerb median with pedestrian/cyclist facilities? With all junctions either roundabouts or traffic lights? Sort of like the Groody-Parkway except with a bus lane?

That's exactly what I thought it was yep.
    Which would be a pretty textbook distributor design right now.
    But some people above are saying it's just a dual carriageway. If it's just a bog standard dual carriageway it might not be fit for purpose as a distributor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pigtown

The description on the council website doesn't mention a bus lane. Do distributer roads have median barriers? I would have thought they aren't suitable to urban areas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

The original design document says:

"1 x 2.6m wide central reserve;
    2 x 7.0m carriageways, with 2 traffic lanes in each direction;
    2 x 1.5m grass verge shoulders;
    2 x 2.5m two-way cycle track;
    2 x 2.0m footpath;
    2 x 1.0m grass verge;"

Note that there's no mention of a central barrier (and the wider median may be because there is no barrier; 2+2 roads have a 1.5 metre median, including barrier). Also:

"Design speed for the proposed mainline road is 85 kph." and "A speed limit of 80 km/h is proposed, which is the statutory speed for all nonnational rural roads". The design-speed is important to note: this is not even a 2+2 road (design speed of ~110km/h, posted limit 100)

(source: https://www.limerick.ie/sites/default/files/lndr_route_selection.pdf )

The document does not explicitly say there will be dedicated bus lanes, but it does mention improved bus transport as a positive outcome of the scheme. Having a dual carriageway in place allows permanent bus lanes to be installed later at a very low cost, something that cannot be said for a single carriageway road

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

This is the 300m section beside Tesco Coonagh that was done as part of the advance works. The rest of the road is due to be the same.
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.675494,-8.6738463,3a,75y,351.39h,90.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKvD6XemRHKFNS4C1iCECzQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

• Advertisement

Ryan has backed down and signed off the road.
    https://twitter.com/LimerickCouncil/status/1359439359406206980

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

They need to build a few roundabouts for all the u-turns they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2021/0210/1196202-moyross-road-project/

Limerick road project will proceed without delay - Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pigtown

So one lane in each direction will be a bus lane. I get the desire to make the project more sustainable but are there really enough buses proposed to need dedicated lanes?

pigtown wrote: »
    So one lane in each direction will be a bus lane. I get the desire to make the project more sustainable but are there really enough buses proposed to need dedicated lanes?
    No, there aren't. And the fact that it's to be a dual carriageway means that a dedicated bus lane isn't needed either.

Also he's talking BS about extra pedestrian facilities and cycleways. They were always part of the plan which can be seen in the map KrisW1001 attached earlier in the thread.

According to the Limerick Post an unnamed source in government has said that the Taoiseach and Tainaiste forced him to sign off on the project. https://www.limerickpost.ie/2021/02/10/limerick-regeneration-road-will-go-ahead-despite-months-of-controversy-over-delay-in-funding/

• Advertisement

No, there aren't. And the fact that it's to be a dual carriageway means that a dedicated bus lane isn't needed either.

Also he's talking BS about extra pedestrian facilities and cycleways. They were always part of the plan which can beseen in the map KrisW1001 attached earlier in the thread.

With respect, I'd like to disagree that dual carriageway means that dedicated bus lane "isn't needed".
    Near me:
    Tivoli Dual Carriageway / Car Park
    Horgan's Quay Dual Carriageway / Car Park
    Cork South Link Inbound Dual Carriageway / Car Park
    would all benefit significantly from the left-most lane being dedicated to sustainable transport.

In each of the above, the additional "general" lane does nothing to improve traffic, for hours of the day they're bumper-to-bumper, and buses are held up by cars.

If you don't design for sustainable transport at the outset, it's always going to be a tougher job to retrofit. If it's an urban distributor it needs to have sustainable transport prioritised, or it will certainly fail in a few years.

Note that I've been in favour of this distributor from the outset, but I'm not in favour of a half-assed dual carriageway.

With respect, I'd like to disagree that dual carriageway means that dedicated bus lane "isn't needed".
    Near me:
    Tivoli Dual Carriageway / Car Park
    Horgan's Quay Dual Carriageway / Car Park
    Cork South Link Inbound Dual Carriageway / Car Park
    would all benefit significantly from the left-most lane being dedicated to sustainable transport.

In each of the above, the additional "general" lane does nothing to improve traffic, for hours of the day they're bumper-to-bumper, and buses are held up by cars.

If you don't design for sustainable transport at the outset, it's always going to be a tougher job to retrofit. If it's an urban distributor it needs to have sustainable transport prioritised, or it will certainly fail in a few years.

Note that I've been in favour of this distributor from the outset, but I'm not in favour of a half-assed dual carriageway.
    This isn't Cork and it won't have anywhere near those levels of traffic. The nearby roads (which this will remove some traffic from) are never a 'car park' and this won't be either. Its unlikely to ever need a dedicated bus lane.

This isn't Cork and it won't have anywhere near those levels of traffic. The nearby roads (which this will remove some traffic from) are never a 'car park' and this won't be either. Its unlikely to ever need a dedicated bus lane.

But I don't understand: why would a second general traffic lane be helpful if a bus lane wasn't also helpful? If you get my meaning, either traffic will be heavy or it wont, and it's in an urban area?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The levels of traffic there are unlikely to justify two general traffic lanes anyway but the existence of them will allow traffic levels grow towards that level over time, which is not a good thing. Better to have under-utilised bus lanes and incentivise greater use of buses rather than incentivise people to drive and then be unable to implement bus lanes in the future due to a supposed lack of demand for buses.

I really can't help thinking that Eamon Ryan has only recently read the design documents for this scheme, and that up to this point he may have been under the impression that this was a motorway. It would be consistent with the abrupt change in position.

Regarding bus lanes, the original 2012 design mentions enhanced bus provision several times, but stops short of specifying a permanent bus corridor. It's certainly possible, but paradoxically, the only way to justify a permanent bus corridor would be to complete the northern arc of this road and allow orbital bus services to use it... but that section of the road is much harder to justify.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

KrisW1001 wrote: »
    I really can't help thinking that Eamon Ryan has only recently read the design documents for this scheme, and that up to this point he may have been under the impression that this was a motorway. It would be consistent with the abrupt change in position.

Regarding bus lanes, the original 2012 design mentions enhanced bus provision several times, but stops short of specifying a permanent bus corridor. It's certainly possible, but paradoxically, the only way to justify a permanent bus corridor would be to complete the northern arc of this road and allow orbital bus services to use it... but that section of the road is much harder to justify.

My reading of things is he decided to 'hold the road to ransom' in order to get a commitment to open up Moyross area for walking/cycling/buses etc more. At least I've seen comments from Moyross community groups praising the green party actions on Moyross, saying they are the ones who have been fighting to get the walls taken down and get them connected to Limerick without having to drive.

I'd buy that, except that the road project already had cycling and walking facilities included, and has had since its inception. Also, there has been no change to the LNDR project itself between him blocking it and re-allowing it. The opening of the cul-de-sacs is a separate project that could have been pushed without stopping the road first.

Withholding something that benefits the area because something else that benefits the area isn't in place seems like a very strange tactic, but it fits the pattern of making perfect the enemy of good that characterises the Green Party in general. (I am a Green voter, but I really, really wish they'd look up the word "pragmatism"; too many times they pick stupid hills to die on and we get no progress at all on environmental improvements)

I do still think my original assessment is much more likely: until last week, I bet that Eamon Ryan thought that this road was a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I'd buy that, except that the road project already had cycling and walking facilities included, and has had since its inception. Also, there has been no change to the LNDR project itself between him blocking it and re-allowing it. The opening of the cul-de-sacs is a separate project that could have been pushed without stopping the road first.
    Which is more important to the local Community?
    What are the desire lines / places along LNDR from a cycling and walking perspective currently? These facilities will perhaps really come into there own 20yrs down the road. Do the Community really want more cycling and walking connectivity along this corridor or south towards the City?

Which is more important to the local Community?
    What are the desire lines / places along LNDR from a cycling and walking perspective currently? These facilities will perhaps really come into there own 20yrs down the road. Do the Community really want more cycling and walking connectivity along this corridor or south towards the City?
    This is a false dichotomy. It was never a question of one or the other.

Not having something like the LNDR has created many of the economic problems in this part of Limerick. Poor transport links in this part of the city means few jobs are created in the area, near to people's homes. But because this problem is "built in" to the area and has existed for so long, I guess not so many see it as a thing that urgently needs to be fixed.

The LNDR is also essential if you want to open out the streets for better bus transport, because without a quick, predictable alternative route, removing cul-de-sacs will just create rat-runs through residential areas.

And there's no single "community" in any area with a population of this size. What one group of people thinks is important is of no use to another... but they can still both be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭what_traffic

The LNDR is also essential if you want to open out the streets for better bus transport, because without a quick, predictable alternative route, removing cul-de-sacs will just create rat-runs through residential areas.

And there's no single "community" in any area with a population of this size. What one group of people thinks is important is of no use to another... but they can still both be right.

Who is the community :D

One can easily remove cul-de-sacs for buses and people who cycle & walk without creating car rat-runs through residential areas. If the will was there.
    Perhaps those in power locally needed a nudge and push.
    Don't see much money been drawn down by the local authority for this area when looking at the recent Sustainable transport funding announcement yesterday.
    https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Combined-Allocations-Final-20210203-002.pdf
    Page 21/22 for Limerick City

• Advertisement

I don't understand what your argument is here. Do you think this phase of the LNDR should not have been built?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭mart 23

Is it known who was awarded the contract to extend the road to Knocklisheen.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Limerick74

mart 23 wrote: »
    Is it known who was awarded the contract to extend the road to Knocklisheen.

Roadbridge

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

As Limerick74 said above, it was already known that Roadbridge had it, but I suppose it couldn't be signed off officially until Ryan u-turned.

As Limerick74 said above, it was already known that Roadbridge had it, but I suppose it couldn't be signed off officially until Ryan u-turned.

Tender awards are never published immediately anyway. I always post the award notice so anyone looking for the detail can have a look (number of bids/bid ranges etc)

Works have officially begun on the Coonagh to Knockalisheen section. https://www.limerick.ie/council/newsroom/news/main-contract-works-begin-coonagh-knockalisheen-road-project

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Coonagh-Knock will still be completed it seems. Though that could take years as the now-bust Roadbridge were building it so I assume it'll have to be re-tendered.

Advertisement