Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things that used to be in waterford ya can remember

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭j walsh

WMT wrote: »
    Is that sale still on by the way ? :P

That's what Nelson Mandela said when he got out of jail!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 WMT

The carnival that used to be in the manor st john in lisduggan back in the late seventies and early 80's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Great thread. I'm probably repeating a few here but here are my memories of old Waterford.

Buying Pencil Cases and stuff in Woolworths (where the brasserie is now)

Winning a big ass teddy bear in a christmas raffle in the wimpy (where the brasserie is now haha)

The old cinema and the absolutely massive Screen One where there was a big walk way at the back of the room where the toilets where...not to mention the largest bin in the world over the balcony in front of the screen. What an amazing cinema that was.

Playing Paperboy in the Savoy arcades

Oh the thrill on the hill in ballybricken...why can't we bring that back?!

The pic n mix in darrers

The tiny shop across the road from mount sion primary (next to the barracks) we used to get whatever the little fad item of the time was (I remember one time it was these streamer type things that made us look like majorettes running around the yard)

Connolly's down the road owned by the lovely husband and wife whose faces have unfortunately vacated my memory.

The two sinnots video shops....Christ remember video shops years ago....the first one was upstairs from the music shop down by muldoons there...you had to walk up a tiny spiral staircase to walk into a VHS wonderland...Rocky II in a big huge plastic box...and then the second sinnots up at Electric Avenue there with the big steps up into the main Video section.

Teleport computers and Finns is obviously another one...4.59 for a new Commodore game or a tenner for the ones in the bigger box (that was supposed to be a better game lol) Wasn't finns down by where apache pizza is now as well?

I could go on all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

ok here's one that may ring a few bells among those of us who dabbled in a life of crime as schoolboys in the early '70s ... anyone remember 'Gimme Gimme'?

.. back when you'd 'borrow' a bottle of coke/cider/babycham/beer from the drink trucks parked outside Sullivans Drinks in high street and suddenly a guy would appear from the upstairs window and start shouting Gimme Gimme to try and get you to bring it back. ... yea that one worked for sure :D

Anyone remember the cattle up on ballybricken or the Fanning house where the government buildings are in the glen now.

• Advertisement

What about The Lark In The Park
    This was like a mini festival in the peoples park with mostly local bands of the time (eg Navarone (Now Avalon), the Succession (Now the Butterfly band) , Soul Reazon, etc....)
    It was held over 2 days Saturday and Sunday, but can't rember what time of the year it was .

Or the Roller Disco on 'o Connell Street across from The Bridge Hotel,
    they also held a disco there on monday night's for over 16's , think it was called "Bubble's Disco".

ducking off school and hiding on Mockey Dower (the truant inspector) on the way to the Gloss!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

SUNGOD wrote: »
    for anyone living out by quinnsworth/waterford shopping center lisduggan
    remember mickey wongs caravan selling curry/chips etc .
    which was either in larchville or at the corner of sunrise cresent and larchville
    mickey was a bit of legend..

mmmmmmm mini specials for £1 were amazing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭topazkk

Then:

Jobs,
    Vibrant town centre,
    People, loads of people.

Now:

Fewer jobs,
    Dead town centre,
    People are scarce,
    and we have a new
    phenomenon "The Serial Objector"

I wonder what happened?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

the flatroofs on Hennessy's Road. Some heads came out of them boi. :pac:

Shops & niteclubs:

An Siopa - batty auld ones down by the park.
    Wimpys
    Burgerland
    The Chuck Wagon
    Finns
    Teleport
    St. Josephs Youth Centre - got a baytin up there once.
    Cross Lane Videos - where I bought my first video cassette
    Fitzmaurices - great for the Transformers
    Sinnotts - Noel was the man. smoked the cigars.
    Winstons
    The Beefy King - hosted many a fight
    Breens - graduation night, got hammered and ended up riding a one from the Ursuline in the jacks.
    Club LA - circa 1995-97, sheer unadulterated hedonism
    Merlins
    The Roxy
    The Reg

Other memories:
    Kilcohan Park every 2nd Sunday to watch the Blues
    Building rafts and sailing down the Poleberry river. It was like Venice
    building bonfires on the train tracks down in Poleberry.
    spending every summer in Tramore
    scabbing the lorry drivers for coke outside Garveys
    Collecting for the Halloween bonfire and having run ins with the Cork Road crowd and the johnnie landers
    picking up some quare wan from Club LA and riding her at the back of the castle.
    going over to Twamleys and buying cans of cherry coca cola.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

topazkk wrote: »
    Then:

Jobs,
    Vibrant town centre,
    People, loads of people.

Now:

Fewer jobs,
    Dead town centre,
    People are scarce,
    and we have a new
    phenomenon "The Serial Objector"

I wonder what happened?

Couldnt agree more. Waterford in the 1990s was a hopping place.

"going over to Twamleys and buying cans of cherry coca cola."

Going over to twamleys to look at the picture of "jesus" that appeared on one of the fllor tiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

twamleys?is that twomleys?rem the guy with the grey hair and glasses workin there?his catchphrase was 'thank you very much' in a weird sing song voice whenever ya bought something

maggies shop up by the de la salle centre think its the top of alexandra st?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Sachs Nightclub in O'Connell st.

now there was a den of iniquity. Wine only licence, dark alcoves, jazz tobacco in the air, no-one went there to dance :p

Connolly's down the road owned by the lovely husband and wife whose faces have unfortunately vacated my memory.

micheal and julia connolly ,both passed away a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Julia Connolly is still alive but Michael is dead around 10 years now. Me mammy is good friends with her.

i went to his funeral as micheal was me granddads brother,always thought she was after passed awayhavent seen her since,shoulda really asked me mam b4 posting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

When Compustore opened on the mezzanine floor of The Book Centre. It was tiny, leading some to dub it Compustall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Awh now i am all sad.....i miss the following from my mis-spent teenage years when I am home:
    • The Roxy
    • The Old Rogue
    • Orange clothes shop
    • Red Square - ok so it was more of a triangle....but.....
    • Lockmans - think it has changed name - has definately changed - god they used to hate us, pile of us would take over the booths for the afternoon, nursing cups of coffee long after they were gone cold!!!
    • Cafe Luna - for when we were banned from Lockmans :rolleyes: -opps!
    • Preachers with cheap shots of tequilla or sometimes peach snapps!!
    • And okay these are still available but haven't had one in ages - chip butty with raw onions and mayonaise....yum yum......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

break dancing on card board beside the fish monger beside dunnes,

cassady's clothes shop where dunnes michael st is now

Mcairns Motors

Bourban St nite club (egans)

The chemist on the quay that hass been made into a new chipper

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

spaceylou wrote: »
    [*]Preachers with cheap shots of tequilla or sometimes peach snapps!![/LIST]

Yup, I remember them, Peach Schnapps and Tequila £1 a shot and 3 bottles of woodys for £5 on student nights..

I remember it cause I was one of the people serving em.. jeez, probably sold a few dozen cases of woodys and about a dozen bottles of tequila/peach schnapps a night.. couldnt stand those promotions.. Always scored on me break during em though.. :D;) :P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

One more..

JD sports on the quay, always a kind of posh sport shop, sold a lot of tennis stuff as the owners played tennis a lot and the expensive apparel.. no football jerseys in there I tell ya.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Kahless wrote: »
    When Compustore opened on the mezzanine floor of The Book Centre. It was tiny, leading some to dub it Compustall.

Hah, bought my first computer there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

before Ashley court was fully built i used to love "exploring" and finding pieces of pottery if i remember correctly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Surely Elvis must get a mention, landmark that he was.

Also Monica....

I remember kn***er drinking at the plaza building site in 1999 (must have been 16) when Elvis came wandering over looking for a can (I think it was Spraoi time).

Remember when all the sheds and warehouses were on the quay - where the carparks are now on the town side?

Also WRTC :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

bought all the parts for my first computer (that was actually 100% mine) in Teleport Computers in Georges Court, tis gone now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Elvis, and what about Tawdy? easiest way i can spell the name that might sound right :)

then theres the fella who i think is still going around, still shouting

"ITS MY TOWN!!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

kryogen wrote: »

then theres the fella who i think is still going around, still shouting

"ITS MY TOWN!!!!!"

brendan macann or multivan perhaps

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Trevs Menswear, where BPM is now, before that Trevs was down where T&H's (newpart) is now. Besco on Ballybricken, City Cycles in O Connel street and L&N where Sam McCauleys is now.

Soundwave video shop, where Carphone warehouse is now, Rockaway records where Book centre is now. Stripes was in that location before Rockaway. Wimpey in where brasarie is now. Jet garage on the cork road where woodies is now.

Advertisement