Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things that used to be in waterford ya can remember

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Wilde_37

anplaya wrote: »
    shockwave wrote: »

The dingy old shop opposite mt sion school where you could get a single fag for 10p. Used to be packed at break time

think it was called connollys

That area had loads of shops...

The shop across from Mt. Sion was Brown's
    Brigie Walsh had an old shop on the grounds of the school and there was always a smell of Kerosene
    Also on Barrack street you had:
    Connollys,
    O'Connors
    Hennessy's Butchers
    Kervicks green grocers
    Speccer's green grocers
    Heneberry's
    The down the other end you had Harte's which became a hair dressers and Mrs Harte opened a post office next door
    Rea's on the corner of Barrack St & Convent Hill
    Rea's next door to that
    Tracey's
    The gift Shop
    (It was a busy street)
    Down further you had the dentist (next to Mullanes bar)
    Below that you had Hamilton's sweet shop at the top of Castle street
    All the old houses on castle street - and the pigons
    Leadmore dairies at the top of Rice Park
    The Laundry in the Good Shepard convent
    Murphy's shop on the corner of Manor and Baths street (became Gallaghers)
    Flint's across the road
    Morris's Builders when they used to be on the Manor where Close Gate is now
    The old Post Office
    Davy Macs
    Celtic Linen (where Masons is now)
    Eddie Coady In the Beefy (There's a guy works down our chip-shop swears he's Elvis!!)
    Fish Kennedy's in John's street
    Kathleen Brown's sweet shop (great place)
    Harney's bakery across the road
    Kervick's had another place where Dignity is now
    Just over the hump bridge you had Sweeney's BBC shop

I'll stop now...

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭j walsh

I remember losing plenty blood and sweat (no tears though honest) in Rocky's gym in parnell st up over the old Winstons, Pot Black started at the big window and went back to where the DJ's box is now and then there was a partion wall and we trained in behind that where Ruby's extended the night club a couple of years ago.The entrance was where the Espresso is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

j walsh wrote:
    I remember losing plenty blood and sweat (no tears though honest) in Rocky's gym in parnell st up over the old Winstons, Pot Black started at the big window and went back to where the DJ's box is now and then there was a partion wall and we trained in behind that where Ruby's extended the night club a couple of years ago.The entrance was where the Espresso is now.

I remember going up there for karate classes, the owner loved Samantha Fox and had posters all over the place

Oh that would be Rocky ok:D,
    I remember a couple of Sam Fox posters alright

trishw78 wrote: »
    I remember going up there for karate classes, the owner loved Samantha Fox and had posters all over the place

He has a autobiography coming out this year called The Real Rocky and i heard that there could be a film in the pipeline also.
    That book would be some read cause he's had a crazy life so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I just saw the planning permission signs on the old Besco and Rellis's newsagents this evening.

I must go in and have a word with Dick tomorrow and find out whats going on, I presume he'll be retiring and selling up the shop, it'll be a sad day when that shop goes though, its like a newsagents crossed with the tardis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I just saw the planning permission signs on the old Besco and Rellis's newsagents this evening.

I must go in and have a word with Dick tomorrow and find out whats going on, I presume he'll be retiring and selling up the shop, it'll be a sad day when that shop goes though, its like a newsagents crossed with the tardis.

He's leaving?? More magazines than the book centre in there, he had everything...

Remember when three sevens and a ten were three sevens and a ten?? :)

And while we're on it, I have fond memories of waking up on a Sunday morning to WLR on in the parents room with 'morning has broken' and Tony Weldon playing some of the worst music going :)

Ould' T.W.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭halfinch

Token on Broad Street

Trinity house where Michael Guineys in now, they used to have these dellboy types selling random stuff in there

When wacky shoes was downstairs in georges court and its all that was in there

Wimpy Knickerbokerglorys :D:D

When roches supermarket was in where debenhams is now

Old Green Buses

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭pommers

The Marian by the Mercy (padders) 10p a cig, out around the back of the shop then for a smoke before ya head back to school....ah dem were da days;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭jmcc

The Cove Shop on the Dunmore Road. Also, in Autumn and Winter, cows swimming in the field where Powerscourt is now. The Sports Shop on the Quay and the other one over in Georges Street. Television shops that also used to do repairs. Chip Shop Computer Basics on the High Street in the 1980s.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭pommers

jmcc wrote: »
    The Cove Shop on the Dunmore Road. Also, in Autumn and Winter, cows swimming in the field where Powerscourt is now. The Sports Shop on the Quay and the other one over in Georges Street. Television shops that also used to do repairs. Chip Shop Computer Basics on the High Street in the 1980s.

Regards...jmcc

Speaking of television shops, remember Thorn electric where monsoon is now,i bought my first tv there, i only got rid of it 6 months ago and it was still working!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭deisemum

Anyone remember the "chicken shed" out in Cheekpoint where the discos were held. Hubby has fond memories of them from his teenage years, hitching lifts out there and getting up to all sorts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'm feeling old - I remember getting a tuppenny wafer in Nolan's on the Cork Road (slice of HB vanilla between two wafers).

I also remember as a kid spending ages in Goff's stationary shop. They used have all kinds of pens in all kinds of colours. If my mother ever lost me she'd always head there first :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Waterford Crystal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mama

All of you must be really young - can anyone remember Bells Chemists on the Quay - next to Hearnes ? Not John Hearne's ironmongers shop but Hearnes department store where the money was sent from the counter to a cash desk on wires ?
    And Lipton's in Barronstrand St., and the Home & Colonial, or Merry's on the corner of the Carstand and John St., later Winston & Besco.
    Then there was Graves' in Park Road, near the Gold Crust bakery and opposite the Park .

This would have been in "old God's time" - early 1960's .

I have just remembered Mrs. Mul's shop on Cannon St, near the lower gate to the Presentation Convent where (in the good old 1950's) you could buy a handful of DILISK for 1d. (an OLD penny) and a ha'penny square. Ha'penny squares for the uninitiated were from slabs of toffee which were broken up and sold individually (a bit like the cigarettes in Bridgie Walsh's next to Mount Sion school). There was also a house on the other side of the street that used sell toffee apples from their front room. They were delicious.

There was a ballroom in Arundel Square for a while, I think that's where Dunlops was afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Paige Turner

The old man in Tramore that used to do the pony rides! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

any1 knw what happened with the de la salle cente up by st stephens school?
    the hibnerian bar
    the old dentists in newgate st,bad memories for me:mad:
    what was the name of the sweet shop in the manor,was in the 80s,sinn fein shop now situated there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

Waterford Crystal used to be in waterford once....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

any1 knw what happened with the de la salle cente up by st stephens school?
    My God yeah I always overlook that place but by christ its shameful. Spent many a time in there when I was younger because I grew up just across the street. I remember the dodgey old corridors upstairs in there looking down into the squash courts(?) Used to go to the little shoebox of a gym in there too before the whole place went tits up.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

I was told today that St. Paul's Secondary School on Paddy Brownes Rd. was a Pig Mart!! :D

the old esb place i think it was, across the road from the city hall

Jayeire wrote: »
    Waterford Crystal used to be in waterford once....

:pac: oh your hilarious.it still is ya ****

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

anplaya wrote: »
    remember those houses that used to be opposite the train station that they knocked down when making the new road?werent they crooked or something?

lol I used to live in one of those - Sallypark, the sitting room used to flood if the tide was too high - omg that must be nearly 30 years ago.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭henboy

My grandmothers sweet shop on patrick street. Any one who went to de la salle stephen street will have fond memories of the Cream buns. What a lady:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Boarders in De La Salle - more culchies in my class than Waterford people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Cantwell's in Michael Street - Vera Cantwell and John Hayes used to work there.

The Central Garage next to the Library; Wasn't there a bakery along that lane too?

The Old Stand, and previously The Stand;

The L&N, where the Broad Street Centre is now, which had that cafe upstairs?? Remember the L&N had an upstairs bit, you had to leave your trolley downstairs and carry your stuff down to it!

Bolger's - people called Dunnes that for years.

Cassidy's.

Phelan's key shop in High Street. What a mess- God knows how he ever found anything;

Johnny Hearne's is a recent loss, and sadly missed;

What was the TV shop along O'Connell Street?

And the TV shop where the 3 store is now in High Street?

Pan Power's hairdressers in Arundel Square;

Peter Street when it actually existed!

And missed most of all - deserving of a distinction - Egan's. That was THE place to go on Friday and Saturday nights. Huge inside and stuffed. Great staff (Frankie, Tony, Joe, Marcus, Maura Wicks, etc) great music, great atmosphere.

What happened to drive the entertainment away from that part of town?

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

old gregg wrote: »
    following on from Martin Hunt and Waterford characters, here's one that only folks of a certain vintage will remember .....
    STAB THE RASHER

:p

Yeah I heard how "STAB THE RASHER" got the nick name the lads in ferrybank used to dangle him by the legs down the delivery chute and he could stick his nose into the hams and the would rob them :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Duiske wrote: »
    Now theres a blast from the past :D

The Pineapple Grove bar in the Bridge hotel was a great hangout back in the day as well.

It was actually called the "Peppermint Grove" I remember in the 80's it had neon signs and those UV light which made your white clothes look really clean. I bet all you could see back then was fellas white socks and slip on shoes, oh yeah and don't forget those fleck trousers :D

Advertisement