Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things that used to be in waterford ya can remember

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

ToxicPaddy wrote: »

What was the name of that computer/photography store that used to be in arundel square before city square was there? Grumpy aul git working there..
    Bought my first "ahem" PC there, a sinclair spectrum +2 :D

Tox

That was called "Finns's Camera & Computer Shop". I remember going in there for my games on the old Commodore 64. Yeah the fella who owned it was not too bad, he used to have glasses and the wife would be there as well. In reality they both knew F@*k all about the computer games :p. They then moved next to the Fresh Food Hall on Michael Street, but did not last long before closing/retiring.

Partizan wrote: »
    Couldnt agree more. Waterford in the 1990s was a hopping place.

+1

alinton wrote: »

And the TV shop where the 3 store is now in High Street?

It was called Bobby Whites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

lads,any1 know what the name of the cake shop up by blazing aces is?used to be next to one of the entrances to the church,theres a photography shop there now i think,have vague memories of going in there

also there used to be this guy who delivered the bread, blaas etc in a white van to your door saturday morning,got really vague memories of him ,any1 else remember ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

what was the name of the sweet shop in the manor,was in the 80s,sinn fein shop now situated there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

anplaya wrote: »
    lads,any1 know what the name of the cake shop up by blazing aces is?used to be next to one of the entrances to the church,theres a photography shop there now i think,have vague memories of going in there

also there used to be this guy who delivered the bread, blaas etc in a white van to your door saturday morning,got really vague memories of him ,any1 else remember ?
    The cake shop was Leahy's I think. Very fond memories. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DaveHoban

ziedth wrote: »
    The Old Cinema
    Quinnsworth
    Chess Mensware
    Sullys snooker hall
    Baker Street Pub

God, I remember burgerland. used to love it there as a boy.

Sullys is still going strong, i've been working there for the last five years, we moved down to o' connel street last year, just behind dooleys hotel/beside the maxim house chinese. we got rid of all the snooker tables except for one full size and a half size, we got 4 new pool tables which are always busy. I suppose we are more focused on the gaming area now with the slots, poker machines and roulette tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

KingLoser wrote: »
    The cake shop was Leahy's I think. Very fond memories. :D

Me too...and of the Green Bank Confectionery on Bridge St.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭jmcc

alinton wrote: »
    What was the TV shop along O'Connell Street?
    I think it was a German sounding name. The owner also owed a shop in New Ross as well. Ollie (R&M Electronics) used to work there.

Just remembered Stan Furlong in Gladstone Street. There was also a TV shop on Michael Street.
    And the TV shop where the 3 store is now in High Street?
    Bobby Whyte's shop. It only closed a few years ago.
    What happened to drive the entertainment away from that part of town?
    Egan's closed? :)

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭W1llz0rz

My nanny used to be the manager in Burger Land, never had to pay for a thing, although I can barely remember it, must have been only 4 or 5 when it closed. Some epic birthday partys in there though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭DinnyBatman

Was in college in Waterford in the 90's.
    Best memories are:
    Big beach parties (can't remember the name of the beach), loads of bands played, proper stage, sound system etc.
    King Kong Company gigs in Garter Lane.
    Playing pool in the Roxy in the evening and watching bands there that night.
    Ahhh, the memories!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

That was called "Finns's Camera & Computer Shop". I remember going in there for my games on the old Commodore 64.

They used to hold computer game competitions - had to pay to enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭j walsh

jmcc wrote: »
    I think it was a German sounding name. The owner also owed a shop in New Ross as well. Ollie (R&M Electronics) used to work there.

I think it was called Houston electronics, i remember it well my brother bought a massive pioneer hi-fi system and still has it,class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Playing quake in the old voyager internet cafe where rainbow records is now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 gemasha

Ah it was a sad day when PREACHERS closed down! ;) Oh the memories!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭larchielads

gemasha wrote: »
    Ah it was a sad day when PREACHERS closed down! ;) Oh the memories!!
    yeah used to work there for years. remember tryin to get up for school after a nights work.....some dose...... loved it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 gemasha

yeah used to work there for years. remember tryin to get up for school after a nights work.....some dose...... loved it though

Ha ha - snap - used to work there myself!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭annabellee77

Oh this thread has me beyond nostalgic....I'll have to come back later when have gathered myself!!! :(:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

Funderland aka the old bowling alley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Aimzey

the whimp wasnt tat in where the brasserie is now ??

merlins.
    The roxy
    Preachers now electric avenue
    Old eddie rocketss used to be where revolution is now
    Darress stores(ex sp) Where macdonalds now is in town

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

The old ardkeen stores. Entrance used to be where Supermacs is now. you had to walk down stairs to the shop, they had like 3 tills or something. Bring back Metroland, first time ever seeing Carl Cox. Egans on a Saturday night and flow motion (nearly cried when they knocked down the building just a few weeks ago). ah Memories :)

What was the name of the music shop around the corner of Manor and John St back in the '80s? It was beside the chipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭jmcc

Nolanger wrote: »
    What was the name of the music shop around the corner of Manor and John St back in the '80s? It was beside the chipper.
    Sinnotts?

Regards...jmcc

Ha no not Sinnotts - it was a musical instrument shop and it was on the John St on the left on the way up to Geoffs. Only there for a year or two. Also, what was the name of the video library upstairs on the same side of the street further up?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

The video store was strand electric

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Iv a poor memory for this.. A small few of the top of my head;
    - Computer Store in Georges Court,
    - Man United Shop where Egans was (pure class tbh!)
    - Vaguely recall the shopping center by H Samuels
    - The computer store (prob not that long ago) beside Lifestyle Sports
    - Strand Electric (remember the one in Tramore the best)
    - Funderland/Bowling place/Currys (:P)
    - Not sure if its still there but a small electronic store beside the Hyper.
    - Rainbow Records (cant recall that area thats now closed off)
    - Londis (and whatever it was before) at Ballybricken (that planning permission is old enough I think)
    - The Music store in The Book Center
    - Route66.

Kervicks was mentioned.. I believe thats now run by Polish folk? The store in Ballybricken?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Sully wrote: »
    Iv a poor memory for this.. A small few of the top of my head;
    - Computer Store in Georges Court,: Compustore
    - Man United Shop where Egans was (pure class tbh!)
    - Vaguely recall the shopping center by H Samuels: Broad Street Center(mmmm Bewleys)
    - The computer store (prob not that long ago) beside Lifestyle Sports: Also Compustore
    - Strand Electric (remember the one in Tramore the best)
    - Funderland/Bowling place/Currys (:P)
    - Not sure if its still there but a small electronic store beside the Hyper. : Keep forgetting its name but ill remember tomorrow
    - Rainbow Records (cant recall that area thats now closed off)
    - Londis (and whatever it was before) at Ballybricken (that planning permission is old enough I think): Bescos
    - The Music store in The Book Center: Zhivago
    - Route66.

Kervicks was mentioned.. I believe thats now run by Polish folk? The store in Ballybricken?
    Feckin younguns:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The computer shop inside Georges Court was Teleport, not Compustore, which was the one beside Lifestyle. The Man Utd. shop was beside T&H Doolans rather than Egans and the pub eventually extended into where the shop was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Kahless wrote: »
    The computer shop inside Georges Court was Teleport, not Compustore, which was the one beside Lifestyle. The Man Utd. shop was beside T&H Doolans rather than Egans and the pub eventually extended into where the shop was.
    Thank feck ya sorted that out. Posting from mobile.

Anyone remember the ice cream area in crazy prices? It was on the right when ya came in. Roughly where the games are now.

Also "giant land" as my brother and me used to call it . Where the cash register is in the hyper is now. Years ago ya could buy in bulk. Everything was massive. And
    By the bank in hyper they used to have the cash register. Oh and santa used to be in shaws.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

for the old chaps. Any of ye remember the name of the pub that was where spokes is now. I dont remember it .

Advertisement