Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-08-2017, 10:49   #61
walshb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maravilla33 View Post
I disagree with you on the likely outcome here but Wilder will be a solid underdog in this fight. He's 3/1 on Oddschecker atm which obv may change if a fight were announced (not too much mind). Anyway that is a cracking bet if you make Wilder 60/40 fav.
I am aware that the bookies would likely make AJ a favorite. For me this would be be one real possibility of them getting it wrong, for reasons I stated.
Advertisement
17-08-2017, 10:52   #62
walshb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac_man View Post
That shot from Wlad would have knocked down a house. An absolute peach of a shot. I was more impressed with the recuperative reaction of Joshua of been able to get up after that shot.
I kind of disagree on the shot. Good shot, but I think it was more where he hit as opposed to force. It was a right cross with not much speed on it. Thrown in a half defensive type mode. Didn't really step in behind it.

I am not saying it was weak, but I just didn't see it a s some real dinger. Good shot, but nothing wow, and it had AJ out of it. Properly so. He did recover. I will give him that. A better finisher and a more intense follow up and AJ was gone.

I though Whyte's shot was a better shot. Better placed, faster and likely more force. AJ did recover fairly well form that.

And for me Wilder can throw real dingers. I would not be confident at all that AJ survives.
17-08-2017, 10:54   #63
Maravilla33

Quote:
Originally Posted by walshb View Post
I am aware that the bookies would likely make AJ a favorite. For me this would be be one real possibility of them getting it wrong, for reasons I stated.
Oh I wasn't ridiculing your thought process on this by the way. So hard to find any value in betting and boxing in particular so genuinely meant that is a cracking bet if that's how you view the fight.
17-08-2017, 10:56   #64
akelly02

Quote:
Despite his safety first approach Wlad has serious power when he decides to throw his straight right or a left hook. KO ratio of 77% across 69 fights. Higher than Tyson amongst others. Although tbf that includes 'non prime' Tyson too.
Wilder is the hardest hitting heavyweight in the world I don't think many disagree. That's not to say wlad hasn't got power
17-08-2017, 11:01   #65
walshb

Quote:
Oh I wasn't ridiculing your thought process on this by the way. So hard to find any value in betting and boxing in particular so genuinely meant that is a cracking bet if that's how you view the fight.
I know you weren't.

It's just one of several fights where the bookies can get it wrong.

When I look at both and analyse their strengths and weaknesses I see Wilder getting the job done.

One thing that would shock me would be a points fight...

This does not last all that ling. Two big and too heavy hitting and likely both too chinny/vulnerable to allow this to last long.

I compare it to Hearns-Julian Jackson at 154 lbs. Not their styles or the way they fight, or the betting odds. More the outcome and length that the fight lasts.

For me the smarter money is Hearns. I think he finds JJs chin a little quicker, and JJs chin is not sturdy enough. Nor is Hearns, by the way.
Advertisement
17-08-2017, 11:10   #66
normanoffside

Quote:
I disagree with you on the likely outcome here but Wilder will be a solid underdog in this fight. He's 3/1 on Oddschecker atm which obv may change if a fight were announced (not too much mind). Anyway that is a cracking bet if you make Wilder 60/40 fav.
Same odds as McGregor to beat Mayweather
Thanks from:
17-08-2017, 11:27   #67
Maravilla33

He hasn't made his feelings crystal clear on the McGregor fight but not sure Walshy views Conor as a 60/40 fav...
17-08-2017, 14:13   #68
selectamatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelly02 View Post
Wilder is the hardest hitting heavyweight in the world I don't think many disagree. That's not to say wlad hasn't got power
Is he though?

He's got big power for sure and he throws in such a manner so as to maximise it but honestly what evidence is there that he hits harder than AJ?

while I can't say categorically who has more power, I will say that Joshua has been able to utilise his to better effect in the majority of his fights.
17-08-2017, 19:31   #69
akelly02

Quote:
Originally Posted by selectamatic View Post
Is he though?

He's got big power for sure and he throws in such a manner so as to maximise it but honestly what evidence is there that he hits harder than AJ?

while I can't say categorically who has more power, I will say that Joshua has been able to utilise his to better effect in the majority of his fights.
He is in my opinion , purely from watching heavyweights and how they throw, wilder has that 1 punch ko power which is scary
Advertisement
17-08-2017, 22:16   #70
pac_man

Quote:
I kind of disagree on the shot. Good shot, but I think it was more where he hit as opposed to force. It was a right cross with not much speed on it. Thrown in a half defensive type mode. Didn't really step in behind it.

I though Whyte's shot was a better shot. Better placed, faster and likely more force.
You're "kind of" talking bollox.

Last edited by pac_man; 17-08-2017 at 22:20.
17-08-2017, 22:55   #71
megadodge

I'm afraid Walshy, we're back to that old chestnut again - your love of power punchers blinding you to their other flaws.

You claim above "When I look at both and analyse their strengths and weaknesses I see Wilder getting the job done". I honestly can't remember you ever analysing Wilder's many, many weaknesses.

I would agree that Wilder probably has the harder punching power of the two and I suspect his stamina is slightly better. And that's it!

There's not much use having tremendous power if you don't have the skill and composure to land with it. And they are two things Wilder lacks in quite spectacular fashion. Watching him wildly swinging for the fences with that panicky look on his face makes for very awkward viewing for me. It makes me wonder what anybody watching who doesn't know boxing that well thinks, when somebody that obviously lacking in the basics can claim to be the best boxer in the world.

I've absolutely no idea how you can claim him to be a fast starter. Unless the last time you saw him was the Audley Harrison's 'fight'. Quite easy to steam into Audley. The moment the competition was upped even slightly (and let's be honest it hasn't been great) he got cautious as f*ck. Moves away, flicks out a jab and every now and then throws a wild 'keep away from me' swing.

He quite simply doesn't have the fundamentals to keep AJ off him. And with AJ being so solid fundamentally himself, along with being a big puncher who is equal in height and 'bigger' Wilder's nervousness and lack of composure will be even more evident. I would be surprised to see him last past 5 rounds. Probably less.

And Fury's sheer size, vastly superior jab and all-round boxing IQ would confuse the hell out of his already one-dimensional way of fighting and would see him easily outboxed before being awkwardly bludgeoned in around 8-9 rounds. I honestly reckon he would not land a single significant punch on a fit, ambitious Fury (something we may never see again I admit).

Wilder is a bully. Picking on smaller, weaker opponents his whole career. Facing a man 3 inches taller than him who can actually box, would see him mentally collapse long before the finish.
17-08-2017, 23:03   #72
walshb

You are completely overanalysing what I said..

Both are power punchers and for me both can end this early..it is not going past 3...

An AJ KO win would not be a surprise..

I simply lean with Wilder finding AJs chin earlier...

Nothing at all to do with me overlooking flaws..

Both KO Fury, and early......

Fury has not the chin or power or defense to prevent either man finding his chin..
17-08-2017, 23:23   #73
megadodge

Quote:
You are completely overanalysing what I said..

Both are power punchers and for me both can end this early..it is not going past 3...

An AJ KO win would not be a surprise..

I simply lean with Wilder finding AJs chin earlier...

Nothing at all to do with me overlooking flaws..

Both KO Fury, and early......

Fury has not the chin or power or defense to prevent either man finding his chin..

You're ignoring what I said - Wilder lacks the skill and composure to land big punches on AJ or Fury. He's not good enough to land on either.

Don't forget Klitchko had problems landing on AJ and the enormous disparity in skill between VK and Wilder certainly doesn't have to be mentioned. Before the knockdowns AJ was ahead on points. When hurt, admittedly Vlad didn't go flat out for the kill, but when he did let his punches go, a still not 100% Joshua did a tremendous job on making him miss. That's something that has gone almost completely unnoticed IMO. Joshua is very solid defensively.

Wilder would have even less chance landing on Fury. He simply would have no way around that jab. And he'd be scared sh*tless of a way bigger man who isn't remotely afraid of him.

Wilder would have a better chance of landing than the soon-to-be-very-rich chancer taking on Mayweather, but that's not exactly saying much is it?
18-08-2017, 01:39   #74
selectamatic

@mega
Not to drag this into the gutter like the other threads that actually relate to mayweather and McGregor, but there's only one chancer taking part in that "fight" on August 26th and it's the self titled GOAT who thought fighting Andre berto was an acceptable fight to take to get to 49-0 and now thinks fighting a man with zero pro boxing experience is an acceptable way to get to the coveted 50-0.

Money is the man making a mockery of the sport. Kind of ironic really because actual money has alway been a blight on boxing.

Anyways moving on I'd 100% disagree about wilder not being able to land on fury. Many men even less technically capable than deontay have landed big shots on Tyson and none of them were 6ft 7" with a dam long reach either. So I think Walsh makes a valid point.

However I do belive Aj will dismantle wilder when they meet so we're singing from the same hym sheet there.
18-08-2017, 07:17   #75
walshb

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadodge View Post
You're ignoring what I said - Wilder lacks the skill and composure to land big punches on AJ or Fury. He's not good enough to land on either.
I am not ignoring. I simply disagree. I believe Wilder can land clean on both to get the KO. I am aware of the flaws of all three. Flaws aside I still think Wilder connects.

You are either underestimating Wilder's ability at 6 feet 7 to throw and land clean on AJ, or over rating AJ as regards his ability to not get hit. AJ is far from Wlad as regards defense and awkwardness. He's right in front, upright, no head movement. So, surely it wouldn't be all that surprising to think Wilder could connect clean?

Your verdict on the fight?

In AJs case I make Wilder a 55/45 favourite.

Fury? Well, seeing as he is practically a non fighter now...

If he was fighting I'd make Wilder a warm favorite. He would land and he would KO Fury.

Last edited by walshb; 18-08-2017 at 07:49.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion