Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Visconti

You do realise the fury camp were carefully picking their opponents right up until Tyson came into line to fight wlad, also when you look at his record there's a curious amount of bang average sub 6ft4" heavies who lacked speed and power but that's for another discussion.

If fury had taken a true face all comers stance then he'd have wins over the likes of povetkin, wach, Ortiz , pulev etc. These were all big names and decent opponents who would have jumped at the chance for a big paying fight in the UK and they were generally all in good form when Fury's proposed fight with haye was falling through, to which they would have been big name alternatives but you'll not see any of them on his record.

There's nothing wrong with that, that's how modern boxing is and shur he got his win over the champ so I'm sure it doesn't bother him in the slightest.

But let's not lose touch with reality here...

All camps pick fights carefully for their fighters thats their job. Many fights cant be made due to politics that you or I might not be aware of. Funny how the Lewis v Klit fight went to the champ because they eased it across the line before stopping it and the champ keeping his belt, lewis was clearly winning but boxing is a dirty sport.
    If you were managing Fury how would you have done it different ?

walshb wrote: »
      AJ is a handy fight for Fury?.....wtf!

Yes, handy until AJ hits him...

Doubt he will land much fury is excellent defensively and even when he gets caught he gets up to win.
      Some of the greats like bowe and lewis would have been interesting against fury great fights to see, AJ is not in their league he is chinny and lacks stamina in later rounds.
      In top shape their is not a boxer active at this moment to touch fury on skills and raw talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Anyone heading over? Accommodation seems to be a nightmare in Cardiff. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Visconti wrote: »
      All camps pick fights carefully for their fighters thats their job.

I have not argued differently to any of these new points you have brought up. Please read my post again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Danye

Doubt he will land much fury is excellent defensively and even when he gets caught he gets up to win.
        Some of the greats like bowe and lewis would have been interesting against fury great fights to see, AJ is not in their league he is chinny and lacks stamina in later rounds.
        In top shape their is not a boxer active at this moment to touch fury on skills and raw talent.

Respect your opinion but I disagree with you.

Klitschko could of landed on Fury but for whatever reason he didn’t throw a meaningful shot throughout the fight. It’s not as if he was throwing shots all night and Fury was slipping them all night like the matrix! This idea of Fury being some sort of majestic mover in the ring is something of a myth IMO.

Fury has got up off the floor alright but has he ever been tagged with someone of AJs power?

• Advertisement

Danye wrote: »
        Respect your opinion but I disagree with you.

Klitschko could of landed on Fury but for whatever reason he didn’t throw a meaningful shot throughout the fight. It’s not as if he was throwing shots all night and Fury was slipping them all night like the matrix! This idea of Fury being some sort of majestic mover in the ring is something of a myth IMO.

Fury has got up off the floor alright but has he ever been tagged with someone of AJs power?

I respect your opinion but I think the klit did not throw because he was afraid of the counter.
        From midway through he looked content to try to survive.
        This is what makes boxing interesting.
        There are many aspects of furys character I dont like, drug taking, some of his comments but purely in a boxing sense I like watching him fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes. Afraid of the counter that never came. Windbag!

Yes. Afraid of the counter that never came. Windbag!

I take it you are a fully paid member of the 2018 fury fan club lol
        Is that you Billy Walsh out of wexford behind this profile ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Danye

I take it you are a fully paid member of the 2018 fury fan club lol
        Is that you Billy Walsh out of wexford behind this profile ?

Is Billy not a fan of Fury?

Danye wrote: »
        Is Billy not a fan of Fury?

Not number one anyway by the looks of things......

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭megadodge

All camps pick fights carefully for their fighters thats their job. Many fights cant be made due to politics that you or I might not be aware of. Funny how the Lewis v Klit fight went to the champ because they eased it across the line before stopping it and the champ keeping his belt, lewis was clearly winning but boxing is a dirty sport.

No he wasn't, he was behind (correctly) on all three judges cards at the time of the stoppage.

With regard to Fury, I'm not sure how a peak Fury would have done against Joshua, but what I'm pretty certain of, is that they ever do fight Fury will have been out of the ring for an awful long time and in that time he has done nothing other than drugs and lots of food. The reason for that is lack of motivation!

The man has lost interest in boxing. He reached his Everest and more power to him, but it's pretty clear that's it. He might and might not fight again, but obviously won't take on Joshua in his first fight back and with the lack of care he has taken of his body he'll probably look so bad he'll either retire or the public will realise he has no chance and the match won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,455 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

He has beaten EVERYONE put in front of him all the way to the world championship.
        The Klit was not in his prime but either was tyson when lewis beat him you can only beat the man in front of you and thats what fury does.
        Aj is a handy fight for him. Parker is a handy one too.
        Wilder would be interesting.
        Hope fury comes back in shape and takes his belt back.

You do realise the fury camp were carefully picking their opponents right up until Tyson came into line to fight wlad, also when you look at his record there's a curious amount of bang average sub 6ft4" heavies who lacked speed and power but that's for another discussion.

If fury had taken a true face all comers stance then he'd have wins over the likes of povetkin, wach, Ortiz , pulev etc. These were all big names and decent opponents who would have jumped at the chance for a big paying fight in the UK and they were generally all in good form when Fury's proposed fight with haye was falling through, to which they would have been big name alternatives but you'll not see any of them on his record.

There's nothing wrong with that, that's how modern boxing is and shur he got his win over the champ so I'm sure it doesn't bother him in the slightest.

So pretty much the same as AJ, who's toughest fight was Wlad 2 years after Tyson beat him ,

He has beaten EVERYONE put in front of him all the way to the world championship.
        The Klit was not in his prime but either was tyson when lewis beat him you can only beat the man in front of you and thats what fury does.
        Aj is a handy fight for him. Parker is a handy one too.
        Wilder would be interesting.
        Hope fury comes back in shape and takes his belt back.

So pretty much the same as AJ, who's toughest fight was Wlad 2 years after Tyson beat him ,

Does anyone seriously believe that Fury is going to get back in real elite fighting shape and be as good as he was when fighting in 2014 and 2015? Be as fresh, fast, nimble and energetic?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Does anyone seriously believe that Fury is going to get back in real elite fighting shape and be as good as he was when fighting in 2014 and 2015? Be as fresh, fast, nimble and energetic?

Could do. Hes only 29.

Unlikely mind you.

The Nal wrote: »
        Could do. Hes only 29.

Unlikely mind you.

That's what I think. I'd say 'very' unlikely!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Em yes, I don't recall ever claiming Joshua cleaned out the division on his way to a title.
        He's led a very sheltered life thus far, ditto wilder.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭RezwoK

I think Fury will be back but nowhere near as good as he was v Klitchko. Pity about the camp split as Peter Fury seemed to instill discipline in him between the ropes at least.

Tyson recently said in an interview that he has fun with his new trainer (same dude that cornered BJS in that horror show performance in Scotland last year) and is not taking things as ‘serious’. Personally I think he’s fooling himself and some fans with this carry on - which is an awful pity when you consider his natural ability.

Only hope we have in seeing a return to previous levels is if he either reunites with Peter (dont get me wrong - Peter is no Emanual steward but he did the the best from Tyson) or he follows Billy Joe Saunders footsteps in to Ingle Gym where I feel could be a great fit for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Can't really make much of a judgement on Fury until he fights. The odds are against him but I feel the HW climate could change suddenly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Morrison J

The pounds are flying off him anyway.

https://twitter.com/BenDavison_/status/955510784620138497

• Advertisement

squinn2912 wrote: »
        Can't really make much of a judgement on Fury until he fights. The odds are against him but I feel the HW climate could change suddenly

I'd say Fury's praying that somehow Chisora becomes lineal champ, setting up a lineal HW clash for him.....

Why did Fury leave his Uncle ? has he spoke about it ,
        I think it was a huge mistake from him, I think he's got yes men now which is not what he needs at all ,

I think it was a huge mistake from him, I think he's got yes men now which is not what he needs at all ,

Has said it was getting stale going over the same things in the gym and that he wanted a change. No falling out or anything and hasn't ruled out working with him in the future.

It's working for the time being as he's clearly as motivated as he's been in years but when the fights come round I wouldn't be surprised to see Peter come back into the picture.

Morrison J wrote: »

Has said it was getting stale going over the same things in the gym and that he wanted a change. No falling out or anything and hasn't ruled out working with him in the future.

It's working for the time being as he's clearly as motivated as he's been in years but when the fights come round I wouldn't be surprised to see Peter come back into the picture.
        Does anyone know what weight he is at ? or what has he lost ?

He looks to have lost quite a bit of weight but it's only going from dangerously obese to very overweight. Of course that's a big step for anyone esp with mental health issues but he has all sorts of titles for himself. It means little more than bluff until he actually fights then we can decide. There was similar talk before the Wlad rematch that never came about. If he he's back to his prime then I think he can take them all but if he doesn't then it's just a payday to get ko'd.
        It's interesting that all of the main contenders have question marks on their records

He said on the latest Steve Bunce podcast he's lost four stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

He was reported to be between 26-27 stone before camp....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 user5147

He looks to have lost quite a bit of weight but it's only going from dangerously obese to very overweight. Of course that's a big step for anyone esp with mental health issues but he has all sorts of titles for himself. It means little more than bluff until he actually fights then we can decide. There was similar talk before the Wlad rematch that never came about. If he he's back to his prime then I think he can take them all but if he doesn't then it's just a payday to get ko'd.
        It's interesting that all of the main contenders have question marks on their records
        I think the something that ruins boxing is fighters trying to keep there 0 ,
        It seems to be such a big thing these days that fighters do not take tuff fights but always look for the easy fight, back in the day people like Steve Colins went and fought the top at a young age and developed that way and became great fighters, Now its all nonsense fight nobodies unless its a massive pay day

• Advertisement

I think the something that ruins boxing is fighters trying to keep there 0 ,
        It seems to be such a big thing these days that fighters do not take tuff fights but always look for the easy fight, back in the day people like Steve Colins went and fought the top at a young age and developed that way and became great fighters, Now its all nonsense fight nobodies unless its a massive pay day

I completely agree with you! There's some amount of dirt even in the HW division walking about with a paper 0. Even then though Eubank and Benn were rather protected while Collins was in batter session in America. Then he kicked the lining out of both. It's thrown at wilder often that he fought a lot of opponents outside the top 30! Though there are other factors to the story. Avoiding hard fights isn't new.

Advertisement