Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,526 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Ireland gave us Love/Hate with a smaller much smaller budget. They can make decent drama when given the right conditions as Love/Hate proved. The REASON Ireland's post-Love/Hate drama is so poor is not because of budgets but because idiots listened to the complaints about violence in Love/Hate. They took that onboard, cancelled Love/Hate and gave us tame, vacuous drivel like Striking Out and Finding Joy instead.

An Irish production company made Love / Hate, no one cancelled it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Boggles wrote: »
    An Irish production company made Love / Hate, no one cancelled it.

Officially speaking, Love/Hate was not cancelled but it was not continued either. Of course, the 5 seasons came to a logical end but also with room for a continuation or a spinoff if required. There were reports it would come back in 2016 and reports about a series featuring John Connors' character and his background. We know it never happened and while there is still options to revive it, it is doubtful RTE under its current anti-violence attitudes will.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

fritzelly wrote: »

As if calling people a sponger will guilt people into paying the licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

I'm female and in my twenties. But I have a parent who worked in RTE.

I am not really woke. I just like discussion :)

Fair enough. It wasn't your dad that intruded on and berated Pat Kenny a few years ago :)

Officially speaking, Love/Hate was not cancelled but it was not continued either. Of course, the 5 seasons came to a logical end but also with room for a continuation or a spinoff if required. There were reports it would come back in 2016 and reports about a series featuring John Connors' character and his background. We know it never happened and while there is still options to revive it, it is doubtful RTE under its current anti-violence attitudes will.

Spin offs seldom work, too many series get beaten death by keeping them going, I think the creators made the right decision on that one TBH.

Do RTE have "anti-violence attitudes"?

They were the first network to air The Fall and the next big one up for them is called "Dublin Murders", which i very much doubt is a rom com.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Close RTÉ. It’s a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Ireland gave us Love/Hate with a smaller much smaller budget. They can make decent drama when given the right conditions as Love/Hate proved. The REASON Ireland's post-Love/Hate drama is so poor is not because of budgets but because idiots listened to the complaints about violence in Love/Hate. They took that onboard, cancelled Love/Hate and gave us tame, vacuous drivel like Striking Out and Finding Joy instead.

I thought Love/Hate wasn't an RTÉ production anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

McGaggs wrote: »
    I thought Love/Hate wasn't an RTÉ production anyway?

Do they commission these things? Though Love Hate had other buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

It is 2019 we should not be forced to pay for the golden montrose jerk circle and subscribe by choice.Simple as..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Seven million plus for the women's world Cup.

If they want to go large in the virtue signalling stakes, don't expect the tax payer to front up

This is what RTE does. I'm just after listening to an interview on drive time with Mary Wilson, interviewing Kitty Holland and Jan O'Sullivan, relating to the plight of a family of 9 that's in temporary accommodation. Pure left wing propaganda: no questions on whether the man of the house was working, no questions on why you proceed to have a large family while on the housing list. All the States problem and no personal responsibility.

And RTE are always like this, completely softballing the asylum seekers issue, travellers and migration. No balance, just telling us what to think.

Why would anyone pay the license fee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That's a bit harsh.

I'd prefer to keep RTE and try to make it work better.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

This is what RTE does. I'm just after listening to an interview on drive time with Mary Wilson, interviewing Kitty Holland and Jan O'Sullivan, relating to the plight of a family of 9 that's in temporary accommodation. Pure left wing propaganda: no questions on whether the man of the house was working, no questions on why you proceed to have a large family while on the housing list. All the States problem and no personal responsibility.

And RTE are always like this, completely softballing the asylum seekers issue, travellers and migration. No balance, just telling us what to think.

Notice when they interview people on the street for opinions the first person broadcast is never Irish

elperello wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh.

I'd prefer to keep RTE and try to make it work better.

It should be ran like a business. Self sufficient and making money and not reliant on the citizens of the country to keep it going. It’s not a hospital, old folks home or something we need for survival.

It should be ran like a business. Self sufficient and making money and not reliant on the citizens of the country to keep it going. It’s not a hospital, old folks home or something we need for survival.

How do you propose that it will be run like a business if you close it down?

Would you be happy to see it morph into just another commercial operation with no regard to it's role as a national broadcaster?

Hospitals etc. I agree with you are vital and have a prior call on public funds.

However we should be able to have them as well as a vibrant publicly owned radio and television service.

elperello wrote: »
    How do you propose that it will be run like a business if you close it down?

Would you be happy to see it morph into just another commercial operation with no regard to it's role as a national broadcaster?

Hospitals etc. I agree with you are vital and have a prior call on public funds.

However we should be able to have them as well as a vibrant publicly owned radio and television service.

I suggested that it should be closed down.
    You suggested it should be kept and “made to work better”.

I don’t believe it does a good job as a national broadcaster at all. I also don’t believe that any of it’s top earners deserve their outrageous wage packets and I’m certainly not in favor of giving RTÉ a rise in the license fee to throw at these overpaid and very average presenters like Tubridy, O’Callaghan and Finucane.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Their public service remit should apply to everyone,not just the over 65's.

I suggested that it should be closed down.
    You suggested it should be kept and “made to work better”.

I don’t believe it does a good job as a national broadcaster at all. I also don’t believe that any of it’s top earners deserve their outrageous wage packets and I’m certainly not in favor of giving RTÉ a rise in the license fee to throw at these overpaid and very average presenters like Tubridy, O’Callaghan and Finucane.

I guess we are a good bit apart in the discussion.

I'm wary of throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

There are people in RTE well capable of producing good tv and radio. I think we need to harness that ability and make it work better for us rather than give up and have another commercial station.

I'm not sure how to achieve an improved RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

483893.png

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

and then what.
    the tv licence is unlikely to be abolished, it will probably go into general taxation. you will still be paying it though even if you are happy with it just going to the general pot.
    no chance are the commercial sector going to provide minority programming, or even the level of current affairs and other similar stuff that rte actually does well. it will just be more of the low brow entertainment end that they seem to be doing everytime i tune in at least.

are you sure they are telling you what to think? or is it they aren't telling you what you want to hear and are not providing information that aligns with your views?
    the bbc gets the same criticism from people on both sides of the political spectrum. they are to left wing, they are to right wing. can't win as a public service broadcaster.
    It should be ran like a business. Self sufficient and making money and not reliant on the citizens of the country to keep it going.

that is fine as long as you are willing for it to buy in more commercially focused programming at the expence of public service and minority programming. you can't have it both ways by where the broadcaster is self-sufficient and yet has to provide quite a lot of public service and non-commercially viable programming. and as i have said it is unlikely the tv licence would be abolished. so what do we gain?
    It’s not a hospital, old folks home or something we need for survival.

it is a public service broadcaster however, which the bought in foreign programming or low brow entertainment aside, we absolutely need.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

and then what.
    the tv licence is unlikely to be abolished, it will probably go into general taxation. you will still be paying it though even if you are happy with it just going to the general pot.
    no chance are the commercial sector going to provide minority programming, or even the level of current affairs and other similar stuff that rte actually does well. it will just be more of the low brow entertainment end that they seem to be doing everytime i tune in at least.

are you sure they are telling you what to think? or is it they aren't telling you what you want to hear and are not providing information that aligns with your views?
    the bbc gets the same criticism from people on both sides of the political spectrum. they are to left wing, they are to right wing. can't win as a public service broadcaster.

that is fine as long as you are willing for it to buy in more commercially focused programming at the expence of public service and minority programming. you can't have it both ways by where the broadcaster is self-sufficient and yet has to provide quite a lot of public service and non-commercially viable programming. and as i have said it is unlikely the tv licence would be abolished. so what do we gain?

it is a public service broadcaster however, which the bought in foreign programming or low brow entertainment aside, we absolutely need.

I don't think anyone has accused RTE of right wing bias in the last 25 years, particularly on social issues.

I'm not particularly right wing, and and often the line RTE is pushing agrees with my own opinion, but that's not the problem, it the fact that RTE pushes a line at all. Taking Mary Wilson's interview on Friday: pertinent information to ask Kitty Holland was if either parent was working, another one would be to ask is there any personal responsibility when you decide to have 7 children at least some of which were born during the last 12 years whilst they were on the housing list? Is it fair that these people expect the state to accommodate them while every other working stiff is expected to pay through the nose for their mortgage and contribute to supporting them? She didn't even question the wisdom of them voluntarily vacating their small but existing rental before securing somewhere larger!?

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/11054978
    Starts at 1hr 42.

The same thing happens on RTE when they're doing some piece on direct provision, how someone had been stuck in it for 7+ years. They always neglect to mention that the individual will have had their case heard within 18months of arrival, was considered bogus, and are now appealing.

I could go on...

Leaving out pertinent facts is manipulation. No two ways about it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Drivetime is usually a love in with the quangos

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Well let’s set it aside.

Foreign programming/imports/acquisitions - €24.7m
    Children’s Content- 5.5m

Explain how RTÉ have made cuts to Imported programming while retaining funding to core minority programming (with particular reference to Children’s content)?

I also agree with you but this is a major question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

In my view RTE is too D4 centric. The BBC in comparison have much more of a presence across their regions. I seen an RTE van last week and thought thats unusual they never bother with round here. Of course it was a court case the only reason they came.

There is a very large Eastern European community in Ireland what have RTE done to engage with them. Again nothing it appears. Their sporting and Irish language coverage is also not up to scratch in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

If RTE were more balanced e.g. give an impartial/unbiased representation of these stories, the television tax would be more palatable. But no, they want to ram the D4 liberal view down our throats. RTE reminds me of the liberal University professors in the social sciences who have zero experience of real life, but believe that the confines of the University campus cocoon is a microcosm of greater society. Totally detached from reality.

Irish language coverage is also not up to scratch in my opinion.

1 Tv channel and 1 Radio channel.

What more do you want?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

What more do you want?
    I think they could make more of an effort on RTE 1 and 2 to engage with it. Irish language groups think similar. I'm not an Irish speaker but I think they have just parked the issue over to TG4 and RnG.

What more do you want?

I'd definitely miss TG4 and LyricFM.

I think they could make more of an effort on RTE 1 and 2 to engage with it. Irish language groups think similar. I'm not an Irish speaker but I think they have just parked the issue over to TG4 and RnG.

There is a surprise.

If they start broadcasting the shíté they do in Irish, it will just drive figures lower.

They are only 70k odd of full time "native" speakers, they are well catered for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

RTE's elite do not care about asylum seekers, travellers, those in temporary accommodation, etc. I completely understand that people end up in awful circumstances through no fault of their own but completely because of the cronyism of the likes of RTE who then ironically feel sorry for the very people they NEVER gave a chance to.

I completely abhor Gileadism, racism, misogyny, sectarianism, fascism, 'right wing' fanaticism, uncaringness, Nazism, the anti welfare state brigade, etc. and I completely believe we should be a caring society 100%. RTE 'pretend' to get behind this but are not genuine: all they want is discussion topics for their shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

RTE's elite do not care about asylum seekers, travellers, those in temporary accommodation, etc. I completely understand that people end up in awful circumstances through no fault of their own but completely because of the cronyism of the likes of RTE who then ironically feel sorry for the very people they NEVER gave a chance to.

I completely abhor Gileadism, racism, misogyny, sectarianism, fascism, 'right wing' fanaticism, uncaringness, Nazism, the anti welfare state brigade, etc. and I completely believe we should be a caring society 100%. RTE 'pretend' to get behind this but are not genuine: all they want is discussion topics for their shows.

RTE is full of virtue signalling cavier bolsheveiks

Advertisement