Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

fritzelly wrote: »
    elperello wrote: »
    Eamonn Andrews, Gay Byrne, Terry Wogan

Who went where and made it? Wish some of these "top" presenters tried it as RTE keep reminding us they would go elsewhere if they weren't paid the salaries they get

As for the greyhound scandal - everyone and their dog has known this has been going on for years, cheap sensationalist journalism
    I had no idea the horrific way the poor dogs were treated. Had no idea what the bastards did to their ears. And the last 5 minutes of programme made me feel very ill. Well done to rte investigates team.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I had no idea the horrific way the poor dogs were treated. Had no idea what the bastards did to their ears. And the last 5 minutes of programme made me feel very ill. Well done to rte investigates team.

Seriously?

https://www.thesun.ie/news/4257085/rte-revisits-greyhound-scandal-pups-shot-e10-each/

Thats some amount of time to do the investigations

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

fritzelly wrote: »
    Who went where and made it? Wish some of these "top" presenters tried it as RTE keep reminding us they would go elsewhere if they weren't paid the salaries they get

As for the greyhound scandal - everyone and their dog has known this has been going on for years, cheap sensationalist journalism

That's not true. The average BBC presenter doesn't get what you think it would be more in line with the average RTE presenter.

Certain huge shows that air beyond the UK and do well in the states etc have huge salaries.

We poached Miriam O'Callaghan from the BBC for instance she was a producer on Newsnight. She was often headhunted by the BBC to go back. But she has a family etc and the BBC are not going to offer an Irish presenter unknown to british people THAT much. And Most of them have Families here etc.

Even Terry Wogan etc when they go over there they often have to start again etc.

That's not true. The average BBC presenter doesn't get what you think it would be more in line with the average RTE presenter.

What is not true, you're agreeing with me, they wouldn't get anywhere near the salary over there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Blueshoe wrote: »
    I don't pay the license fee and I use an illegal IPTV subscription.

So do I. It works quite well. The odd buffering issue but no popular or hard to find event or program is hard to find on this thing. Don't watch a huge amount but this setup is worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Certain huge shows that air beyond the UK and do well in the states etc have huge salaries.

We poached Miriam O'Callaghan from the BBC for instance she was a producer on Newsnight. She was often headhunted by the BBC to go back. But she has a family etc and the BBC are not going to offer an Irish presenter unknown to british people THAT much. And Most of them have Families here etc.

Even Terry Wogan etc when they go over there they often have to start again etc.

You post a lot of late. Hard to know your gender. I kind of see you as some woke Gran who can't stay away from the Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭cocaliquid

Rte will slowly die out good riddance. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

So do I. It works quite well. The odd buffering issue but no popular or hard to find event or program is hard to find on this thing. Don't watch a huge amount but this setup is worth it.

Mine has a hd, back up Hd and an SD choice for each channel. No issue with buffering thankfully. All ppv events too. Brilliant

You should get one with the sky menu skin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Not defending RTE but what is on across the other channels is not any better a lot of the time. The other Irish channels and the UK channels are equally as guilty of forcing trash at us in the form of reality TV and Mrs Brown for instance. Of course, RTE and other Irish TV shows have to copy all the UK trash.

But, one thing for sure, is that while the UK and indeed US channels have the same reality trash, the dramas are higher caliber. Compare:

US: Breaking Bad, The Handmaid's Tale, The Sopranos, Game of Thrones, etc.
    UK: Peaky Blinders, McMafia, etc.
    Ireland: Striking Out, Taken Down, Finding Joy, etc.

You post a lot of late. Hard to know your gender. I kind of see you as some woke Gran who can't stay away from the Internet.
    I'm female and in my twenties. But I have a parent who worked in RTE.

I am not really woke. I just like discussion :)

• Advertisement

I often thought RTE should just become a news channel only with some investigatory journalistic programs and that would be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

RTE are a complete busted flush and the prime example of their stupidity was Love/Hate.

It was one of the few RTE productions that was actually critically acclaimed and they stopped it because it was costing them too much money. Despite the fact that it was so popular it actually got international producers like Viacom and ITV bidding for the rights.

In October 2013, it was announced that streaming company Netflix has bought the show and will make it available to its subscribers. The first three series have also been bought by TV markets in Brazil, Israel and Singapore joining Australia, New Zealand and South Korea.

Now imagine that you're a BBC executive in 2006, you've done 4 seasons of Top Gear, it's doing brilliantly for the domestic channel and there's a lot of interest from international buyers for the rights. You take one look at the cost of producing the show, it's costing quite a lot and instead of thinking in the long term and finding the money to continue what could become an international brand for your network worth over a billion pounds, you decide to pull the funding, sell the rights and cash out so you can receive a pat on the back from a government minister and a nice little bonus for yourself.

That's what RTE did with Love/Hate. Instead of producing more seasons just when the international and digital streaming market were looking for quality drama content they decided to pull the plug because they were afraid of looking at the millions it cost to produce despite the offers already coming in from overseas. Can't be having any of that around here. Success? No we're allergic to that in RTE. We would rather pay D'arcy, Tubridy, O'Callaghan and Finucane nearly 2 million a year in wages despite the fact they have no discernible talent. If we sent any of their content overseas to be auctioned off to the highest bidder we would be charged on an invoice for their time being wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭joeysoap

There was a program recently on rte. Some cooking show. The ‘chef’ went to ‘mammy’s house’ to see how she made her ‘special’ stew/apple tart/baked beans on toast etc that her son/daughter missed since leaving home. She then appeared in Australia/ USA / South America with said son/daughter and proceeded to make a stew/apple tart/baked beans on toast like ‘mammy’. Who obviously didn’t show son/daughter how to do it/ never heard of Skype.

Unbelievable and cringe tv. And this from the same station moaning about climate change / carbon emissions. Not to mention license fees. I remember now - it was Catherine Fulvio.

Theres a show on at the moment called Hospital Stories Dublin - guess who makes it and where its shown?

Some of the best Irish shows are made overseas! What does that say about RTE?
    Even Mrs Browns Boys

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

joeysoap wrote: »
    There was a program recently on rte. Some cooking show. The ‘chef’ went to ‘mammy’s house’ to see how she made her ‘special’ stew/apple tart/baked beans on toast etc that her son/daughter missed since leaving home. She then appeared in Australia/ USA / South America with said son/daughter and proceeded to make a stew/apple tart/baked beans on toast like ‘mammy’. Who obviously didn’t show son/daughter how to do it/ never heard of Skype.

Unbelievable and cringe tv. And this from the same station moaning about climate change / carbon emissions. Not to mention license fees. I remember now - it was Catherine Fulvio.

Oh, that s**t with Catherine Fulvio? Yeah, it was a joke. A free holiday(s) all over the world for Catherine, who only had to cook a meal for someone.
    Then there was a 'healthy' food show with Pamela Flood, which was the most pointless return to tv. She'd been away for ten years, she wasn't missed.
    I think the Irish Independent nicknamed it 'guess who's ruining the dinner'.

Or there was the 'Wing man' show with Baz Ashmawy that was a cloying joke designed to make Baz look like a good guy... until you realise you're paying for this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,276 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why doesn't the goverment sack the entire board and get them to start fresh, current board unable to run the company within their current budget.

Why doesn't the goverment sack the entire board and get them to start fresh, current board unable to run the company within their current budget.

The power structure has an order of operations that doesn't allow that. For good reason it's to make the broadcaster independent from the govt.

There are in fact two boards. One is the Executive board of RTE. Its made up of the heads and directors diff of departments in RTE. Its chaired by the director general who is nominated by the exec board and then approved by the minister.

The RTE board replaced the RTE authority because of the 2009 broadcasting act. Its a separate body but has some of the same people. The joint committee of the oireachtas nominates 4 people and the minister nominates six people. The director general of RTE is also a member and one staff member is selected. Usually someone with some connection to the union.

The exec board is comprised of heads of departments its THERE where most policy is decided and they report to the RTE board.

The govt can't hire and fire the exec board. They are people RTE hired to be directors of those departments.

So the exec board is people who work for RTE ..the RTE board are people in the creative arts media production etc. The director general is on both boards. The Exec board reports to the RTE board.

There are nine members of the RTE Executive board they are all directors of the diff departments of RTE. There are independent people on the other board ...you can look them up i can't remember names.

But as you can see ...no one body could just replace either board.

Position
    Officer Holder Director General Dee Forbes Chief Financial Officer Breda O'Keeffe Director of Content Jim Jennings Director of Audience, Channels & Marketing Adrian Lynch Director of News and Current Affairs Jon Williams Director of Corporate Affairs Brian Dalton Director of Human Resources Eimear Cusack Director of Transformation and Technology Richard Waghorn Director of Strategy Rory Coveney

The power structure has an order of operations that doesn't allow that. For good reason it's to make the broadcaster independent from the govt.

There are in fact two boards. One is the Executive board of RTE. Its made up of the heads and directors diff of departments in RTE. Its chaired by the director general who is nominated by the exec board and then approved by the minister.

The RTE board replaced the RTE authority because of the 2009 broadcasting act. Its a separate body but has some of the same people. The joint committee of the oireachtas nominates 4 people and the minister nominates six people. The director general of RTE is also a member and one staff member is selected. Usually someone with some connection the union.

The exec board is comprised of heads of departments its THERE were most policy is decided and they report to the RTE board.

The govt can't hire and fire the exec board. They are people RTE hired to be directors of those departments.

So the exec board is people who work for RTE ..the RTE board are people in the creative arts media production etc. The director general is on both boards. The Exec board reports to the RTE board.

There are nine members of the RTE Executive board they are all directors of the diff departments of RTE. There are independent people on the other board ...you can look them up i can't remember names.

But as you can see ...no one body could just replace either board.

Position
    Officer Holder Director General Dee Forbes Chief Financial Officer Breda O'Keeffe Director of Content Jim Jennings Director of Audience, Channels & Marketing Adrian Lynch Director of News and Current Affairs Jon Williams Director of Corporate Affairs Brian Dalton Director of Human Resources Eimear Cusack Director of Transformation and Technology Richard Waghorn Director of Strategy Rory Coveney

By the way the RTE board not comprised of the directors of RTE (director of finance etc) are often the ones who have their own separate media companies creating a conflict of interests. And they are the board the RTE exec board reports to.

And yes in case you are wondering it IS an uneasy relationship.

Its been mentioned to the oireachtas committee and the minister numerous times not to nominate such people who have their own separate companies but there you go.

Its not the best structure as you can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

By the way the RTE board not comprised of the directors of RTE (director of finance etc) are often the ones who have their own separate media companies creating a conflict of interests. And they are the board the RTE exec board reports to.

And yes in case you are wondering it IS an uneasy relationship.

Its been mentioned to the oireachtas committee and the minister numerous times not to nominate such people who have their own separate companies but there you go.

Its not the best structure as you can see.

The Committee could vet the RTÉ board publicly as they have done.... once. The RTÉ Authority has been replace by the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland, previously RTÉ's Authority acted as a regulatory body, the current "board" does not have the same powers as the previous Authority, I don't think any of the current board sat on the Authority.

The Board must be made up of 50% men and 50% women according to the Broadcasting act 2009, so that 50%/50% board digram in the report is a waste of time, as the board has been 50/50 since 2011.

I think the Board and the Executive Board of RTÉ have a cozy relationship, I doubt there is much disquiet at meetings. If there was surely the Board would have told the Executive Board to stop spending so much on international productions and to focus on core Public Service commitments.

There is another board called the Auidence Council, it last met 8 months ago, and has yet to be replaced..... but they did advertise for a new council, no announcement as to when it will be formed. Largely made up of people RTÉ will agree with. (pointless).
    Position

You forgot Geraldine O'Leary...

Elmo wrote: »
    .The RTÉ Authority has been replace by the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland, previously RTÉ's Authority acted as a regulatory body, the current "board" does not have the same powers as the previous Authority, I don't think any of the current board sat on the Authority.
    No incorrect. The RTE authority was replaced with the RTE BOARD.

RTE has resisted attempts to really make it report to the BAI. The BAI is just a regulatory body and something you can complain to about RTE. They can't put rte in a certain direction or create policy outside of their mandate to regulate.

When the RTE authority was replaced with the RTE board and the BAI was set up it was to give other stations not from RTE independent regulation. It was too allow other stations to develop. It was also to create a regulator independent from RTE.

When the new board of RTE was set up it had way less power than the previous rte authority. And at that point and today imo the power is really with the exec board.

The BAI just regulates broadcasters all broadcasters in Ireland. They don't have a say in RTE. All broadcasters have to report to them ..

I think the Board and the Executive Board of RTÉ have a cozy relationship, I doubt there is much disquiet at meetings. If there was surely the Board would have told the Executive Board to stop spending so much on international productions and to focus on core Public Service commitments.

You would be incorrect. It's a very very antagonistic relationship with a lot of distrust.
    The exec board has been the one to try and rein in the spending.

International productions often collab with independant companies. SOme of whom the members of the other board have connections with.

Not that is not as shady as it seems. Most of the members of the non exec board are all from the production and creative side of things. They might actually think these are good ideas with a lot to offer RTE.

The exec board is made up of the human recourses director the finance director etc ...director of content.
    Who do you think care more about the purse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

First off, only 2 of these places are in the EU. Australia and North Korea are not in it. Of the 2 remaining, only one is a country. Leitrim is a region of the Republic of Ireland. So, that leaves the United Kingdom!!!

That's the joke........

The blame is on both boards though. But i think there is something wrong in the structure and the way its done too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Seven million plus for the women's world Cup.

If they want to go large in the virtue signalling stakes, don't expect the tax payer to front up

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

No incorrect. The RTE authority was replaced with the RTE BOARD.

RTE has resisted attempts to really make it report to the BAI. The BAI is just a regulatory body and something you can complain to about RTE. They can't put rte in a certain direction or create policy outside of their mandate to regulate.

When the RTE authority was replaced with the RTE board and the BAI was set up it was to give other stations not from RTE independent regulation. It was too allow other stations to develop. It was also to create a regulator independent from RTE.

When the new board of RTE was set up it had way less power than the previous rte authority. And at that point and today imo the power is really with the exec board.

The BAI just regulates broadcasters all broadcasters in Ireland. They don't have a say in RTE. All broadcasters have to report to them ..

I'd say technically/legally the Authority has been split between the Board and the BAI. But yes the BAI act as a self-regulator, rather than a combination of the UK's Ofcom(broadcast) and the BBC Trust as its name would suggest. Though the Minister still controls ads on RTÉ, the Dail ads on Commerical Radio and the BAI ads on Commercial TV!
    You would be incorrect. It's a very very antagonistic relationship with a lot of distrust.
    The exec board has been the one to try and rein in the spending.

International productions often collab with independant companies. SOme of whom the members of the other board have connections with.

Not that is not as shady as it seems. Most of the members of the non exec board are all from the production and creative side of things. They might actually think these are good ideas with a lot to offer RTE.

The exec board is made up of the human recourses director the finance director etc ...director of content.
    Who do you think care more about the purse?

The Executive board spent €24million on imported programming, my mistake I did not mean to suggest International Producations/Irish Co-productions.

I don't see the very very antagonistic relationship you suggest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    RTE are a complete busted flush and the prime example of their stupidity was Love/Hate.

It was one of the few RTE productions that was actually critically acclaimed and they stopped it because it was costing them too much money. Despite the fact that it was so popular it actually got international producers like Viacom and ITV bidding for the rights.

In October 2013, it was announced that streaming company Netflix has bought the show and will make it available to its subscribers. The first three series have also been bought by TV markets in Brazil, Israel and Singapore joining Australia, New Zealand and South Korea.

Now imagine that you're a BBC executive in 2006, you've done 4 seasons of Top Gear, it's doing brilliantly for the domestic channel and there's a lot of interest from international buyers for the rights. You take one look at the cost of producing the show, it's costing quite a lot and instead of thinking in the long term and finding the money to continue what could become an international brand for your network worth over a billion pounds, you decide to pull the funding, sell the rights and cash out so you can receive a pat on the back from a government minister and a nice little bonus for yourself.

That's what RTE did with Love/Hate. Instead of producing more seasons just when the international and digital streaming market were looking for quality drama content they decided to pull the plug because they were afraid of looking at the millions it cost to produce despite the offers already coming in from overseas. Can't be having any of that around here. Success? No we're allergic to that in RTE. We would rather pay D'arcy, Tubridy, O'Callaghan and Finucane nearly 2 million a year in wages despite the fact they have no discernible talent. If we sent any of their content overseas to be auctioned off to the highest bidder we would be charged on an invoice for their time being wasted.

Exactly. Love/Hate was excellent and the ONLY Irish drama I can think of that had international character. Amazingly, it was also made for the most part during the worst of the recession. It was money well spent and it should be continued. Of course, it didn't have the budget of say Breaking Bad and was less than half the length per season but for a drama out of a smaller country like here, it was amazing and it was done excellently.

Of course, Love/Hate or a spinoff could have been continued on. With our without Nidge, there was a story left to tell and RTE missed the chance to do as usual. While good dramas continue such as Peaky Blinders, The Handmaid's Tale, Better Call Saul (Breaking Bad spinoff: sometime RTE could have been inspired by!!), etc., what has RTE done? Striking Out, Finding Joy (and no, that is not an Irish take on the origin story of Serena Joy!!) and Taken Down. Says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Not defending RTE but what is on across the other channels is not any better a lot of the time. The other Irish channels and the UK channels are equally as guilty of forcing trash at us in the form of reality TV and Mrs Brown for instance. Of course, RTE and other Irish TV shows have to copy all the UK trash.

But, one thing for sure, is that while the UK and indeed US channels have the same reality trash, the dramas are higher caliber. Compare:

US: Breaking Bad, The Handmaid's Tale, The Sopranos, Game of Thrones, etc.
    UK: Peaky Blinders, McMafia, etc.
    Ireland: Striking Out, Taken Down, Finding Joy, etc.

The constant pushing of the PC Left Liberal agenda is much more obvious at RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

delusion
    /dɪˈluːʒ(ə)n/

noun
    an idiosyncratic belief or impression maintained despite being contradicted by reality or rational argument

Example of delusion:

Dee Forbes said that although the broadcaster was "full of programme ideas", every day it had to curtail its own ambitions and the creative ambitions of the independent production sector due to constrained resources.

I don't see the very very antagonistic relationship you suggest.
    Maybe it's not there anymore and it's changed now.

sxt wrote: »
    delusion
    /dɪˈluːʒ(ə)n/

noun
    an idiosyncratic belief or impression maintained despite being contradicted by reality or rational argument

Example of delusion:

Dee Forbes said that although the broadcaster was "full of programme ideas", every day it had to curtail its own ambitions and the creative ambitions of the independent production sector due to constrained resources.

Oh she is delusional all right. She sits on both boards. She is a terrible GD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 previousmass

At least it employees people in the entertainment industry

That is pretty much all RTE does from my point of view and I'm not really interested in being taxed to subsidise the lives of 'creative' people.

Advertisement