Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

IMO in terms of services this is what I would have

TV: RTÉ ONE (as is), RTÉ GOLD (a mix of old RTÉ archive programmes and classic TV), RTÉ NEWS NOW (incorporating Oireachtas TV and Sport)
    Radio: RTÉ Radio 1 (as is), RTÉ Lyric and RTÉ Gold (mix of music and archive)

MOVE RTÉ2, RTÉ2+1, TRTÉ, 2FM, 2XM (put it on FM) and PULSE to the commercial sector, let them initially act like Channel4, then sell them, but no funding.

Merge TG4, RnaG, RTÉjr and RTÉjr Radio and introduce with them the Irish Film Board Channel as outline in the Broadcasting Act 2009. Make them the national broadcast service for Film, Children's Content and Irish Language.

Provide RTÉ with 42.5% of the licence fee, RTnaG with 42.5%, have them work together to provide news and current affairs (drop RTÉ commitment to TG4), The rest of the fee to the BAI's Sound and Vision (7.5%) and to the Orchestras (7.5%, merge them both with NCH).

Create a National Studio From montroes and merge it with 2RN (the network), and if they want they could move the studio and sell the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Do the +1 channels even pay their way?

They have a player for missed programmes,granted nobody wants to use it due to the level of ads,but how many shows are that unmissable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

The orchestras should be seperated from the TV station, as a matter of course. If they are truly "national" orchestras, then they should be funded as a function of the State and not stuck into the RTE budget. As for TV licenses, the collection system is stupid and archaic and no judge wants to waste time sending people to jail for license fine defaults, plus, RTE does not go chasing down TV license offenders in rough estates, so they hit the usual mugs. They would have a much higher collection rate if they adopted the French system, whereby it is included in the property tax, you pay it once a year, all in and the Revenue will chase you down if you don't. If you try and avoid it, in France, they put a lien on your property and you can't sell your house unless it is paid off. Most European contries are changing to a media tax / tv license payment, instead of tolerating our type of ineffeicient system.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,496 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Stovepipe wrote: »
    The orchestras should be seperated from the TV station, as a matter of course. If they are truly "national" orchestras, then they should be funded as a function of the State and not stuck into the RTE budget. As for TV licenses, the collection system is stupid and archaic and no judge wants to waste time sending people to jail for license fine defaults, plus, RTE does not go chasing down TV license offenders in rough estates, so they hit the usual mugs. They would have a much higher collection rate if they adopted the French system, whereby it is included in the property tax, you pay it once a year, all in and the Revenue will chase you down if you don't. If you try and avoid it, in France, they put a lien on your property and you can't sell your house unless it is paid off. Most European contries are changing to a media tax / tv license payment, instead of tolerating our type of ineffeicient system.

If they did that then they would dump all kinds of charges into the mix and also take away our right to protest I.e. the Water Tax issue. I would not be for that at all

There was plans for the revenue to collect it as part of the property tax.
    They didn't want to get involved however as it was not part of their core purpose of tax collecting,or so they said.

Seems they can dictate to the Government anyway,and the plans were dropped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

If they are truly "national" orchestras, then they should be funded as a function of the State and not stuck into the RTE budget.
    A national orchestra plays old and new symphonic work from local composers not Jenny Greene dance music crap.

kneemos wrote: »
    There was plans for the revenue to collect it as part of the property tax.
    They didn't want to get involved however as it was not part of their core purpose of tax collecting,or so they said.

Seems they can dictate to the Government anyway,and the plans were dropped.

If it was collected by Revenue it would then become a “Government station” and reinforce a lot of people’s opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Do the +1 channels even pay their way?

They have a player for missed programmes,granted nobody wants to use it due to the level of ads,but how many shows are that unmissable?

Plus 1 channels are to harvest advertising revenue not provide an extra service per se.

Plus 1 channels are to harvest advertising revenue not provide an extra service per se.

Have to get viewers to get advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Have to get viewers to get advertising.

The only cost is transmission, if you arrive home late and stick on the news for only 20 mins you've done your bit for rte. There are plenty of such people.

• Advertisement

The only cost is transmission, if you arrive home late and stick on the news for only 20 mins you've done your bit for rte. There are plenty of such people.

How come the BBC don’t have any? +1 really only split the audience and don’t retain audiences. Advertising revenue just remains the same, neither +1 has added to RTÉ’s revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I don't think anyone has accused RTE of right wing bias in the last 25 years, particularly on social issues.

I'm not particularly right wing, and and often the line RTE is pushing agrees with my own opinion, but that's not the problem, it the fact that RTE pushes a line at all. Taking Mary Wilson's interview on Friday: pertinent information to ask Kitty Holland was if either parent was working, another one would be to ask is there any personal responsibility when you decide to have 7 children at least some of which were born during the last 12 years whilst they were on the housing list? Is it fair that these people expect the state to accommodate them while every other working stiff is expected to pay through the nose for their mortgage and contribute to supporting them? She didn't even question the wisdom of them voluntarily vacating their small but existing rental before securing somewhere larger!?

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/11054978
    Starts at 1hr 42.

The same thing happens on RTE when they're doing some piece on direct provision, how someone had been stuck in it for 7+ years. They always neglect to mention that the individual will have had their case heard within 18months of arrival, was considered bogus, and are now appealing.

I could go on...

Leaving out pertinent facts is manipulation. No two ways about it...

mary willson isn't going to waste her time asking the questions you have above because ultimately they are irrelevant and do not change the facts of the situation. the people in their grim situation are quite rightly not going to care about mortgage holders who made a choice to buy property.
    Kivaro wrote: »
    If RTE were more balanced e.g. give an impartial/unbiased representation of these stories, the television tax would be more palatable. But no, they want to ram the D4 liberal view down our throats. RTE reminds me of the liberal University professors in the social sciences who have zero experience of real life, but believe that the confines of the University campus cocoon is a microcosm of greater society. Totally detached from reality.

but they are balanced impartial and unbiased. as i said i understand they won't tell you what you want to hear all of the time or maybe even none of it, but their job is to report the facts and that is what they do.
    RTE's elite do not care about asylum seekers, travellers, those in temporary accommodation, etc. I completely understand that people end up in awful circumstances through no fault of their own but completely because of the cronyism of the likes of RTE who then ironically feel sorry for the very people they NEVER gave a chance to.

I completely abhor Gileadism, racism, misogyny, sectarianism, fascism, 'right wing' fanaticism, uncaringness, Nazism, the anti welfare state brigade, etc. and I completely believe we should be a caring society 100%. RTE 'pretend' to get behind this but are not genuine: all they want is discussion topics for their shows.

realistically is that any different to the rest of the media?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Elmo wrote: »
    Well let’s set it aside.

Foreign programming/imports/acquisitions - €24.7m
    Children’s Content- 5.5m

Explain how RTÉ have made cuts to Imported programming while retaining funding to core minority programming (with particular reference to Children’s content)?

I also agree with you but this is a major question.

i think you would be best to put that question to rte as only they will know the reasons. personally i don't think foreign imports are needed on rte in this day and age unless they are programs that can be aired here before they are able to be watched elsewhere.
    IMO in terms of services this is what I would have

TV: RTÉ ONE (as is), RTÉ GOLD (a mix of old RTÉ archive programmes and classic TV), RTÉ NEWS NOW (incorporating Oireachtas TV and Sport)
    Radio: RTÉ Radio 1 (as is), RTÉ Lyric and RTÉ Gold (mix of music and archive)

MOVE RTÉ2, RTÉ2+1, TRTÉ, 2FM, 2XM (put it on FM) and PULSE to the commercial sector, let them initially act like Channel4, then sell them, but no funding.

Merge TG4, RnaG, RTÉjr and RTÉjr Radio and introduce with them the Irish Film Board Channel as outline in the Broadcasting Act 2009. Make them the national broadcast service for Film, Children's Content and Irish Language.

Provide RTÉ with 42.5% of the licence fee, RTnaG with 42.5%, have them work together to provide news and current affairs (drop RTÉ commitment to TG4), The rest of the fee to the BAI's Sound and Vision (7.5%) and to the Orchestras (7.5%, merge them both with NCH).

Create a National Studio From montroes and merge it with 2RN (the network), and if they want they could move the studio and sell the land.

moving parts of rte to the commercial sector is pointless and nothing is gained. there is already plenty of commercial tv and radio, and the networks and all else used by the likes of 2fm and rte2 will be needed for your proposed services anyway. so really there wouldn't be anything left to move/sell to the commercial sector apart from the brands which they probably wouldn't want as they are capable of creating their own.
    rte pulse and 2xm are services rte should absolutely be providing. lots of room for development into credible services which couldn't be provided by the commercial sector. 2xm could be modeled on something like 6 music and rte pulse should become an actual dance station.
    2xm or even pulse on fm would be nice but it is unlikely. if 2fm was to be replaced then gold is the most likely to do so. after that, as i understand there isn't another national transmission network available for another rte service without taking 1 of the already existing transmission networks used by the commercial sector (today fm and or newstalk) or taking whatever has been set asside for the national licence that is being proposed by the BAI.
    vriesmays wrote: »
    A national orchestra plays old and new symphonic work from local composers not Jenny Greene dance music crap.

there is no specific rule on what they can or can't play. if they are willing to have a bash at dance music as well as classical, fair play to them. it might get new people interested and involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

but they are balanced impartial and unbiased. as i said i understand they won't tell you what you want to hear all of the time or maybe even none of it, but their job is to report the facts and that is what they do.

Come on now EOTR.
    There are many instances when this is not the case. The Margaret Cash RTE reporting/interview comes to mind. No questions about her criminality and previous convictions, or who advised her to go to the Garda station, or about her husband's contribution to the care/support of his children etc. etc.
    None of these questions were asked.
    When they report or highlight any liberal cause du jour, it will be overtly biased towards that cause.

i think you would be best to put that question to rte as only they will know the reasons. personally i don't think foreign imports are needed on rte in this day and age unless they are programs that can be aired here before they are able to be watched elsewhere.

Do you notice how RTÉ didn't mention this spend? They blamed the 7.2million the spend on "special events", which they also did in 2016?

RTÉ have said that they have to cut in areas but in this area they haven't ever cut not really, not since 2003, the lowest amount they have spend was in 2014 when they went below 20m, in 2017 it was at the highest at 26m, while it fell slight back in 2018 to 25m.

We have to make cuts but not to one of the largest areas where we spend money. This is an important question. Surely this money is the cause of their losses not 7.2m on their "special events" which no one gives out about and based on their own figures they actually budgeted well for them.
    moving parts of rte to the commercial sector is pointless and nothing is gained. there is already plenty of commercial tv and radio, and the networks and all else used by the likes of 2fm and rte2 will be needed for your proposed services anyway. so really there wouldn't be anything left to move/sell to the commercial sector apart from the brands which they probably wouldn't want as they are capable of creating their own.

There is nothing gained by keeping them in RTÉ. RTÉ2 and 2FM could sink or swim. Again the budget for 2fm saw no decrease yet cuts given to other areas. Why has RTÉ insisted that 2fm should retain all of its budget when making a loss. Before 2012 2fm go no public funding, since then it has lost audiences and retained its budget? Moving them to Commerical might introduce some competition into the sector. Largely TV in Ireland is a duopoly between RTÉ and Virgin Media, both complaint about opt-out advertising but fail to make changes to their own channels and content.
    rte pulse and 2xm are services rte should absolutely be providing. lots of room for development into credible services which couldn't be provided by the commercial sector. 2xm could be modeled on something like 6 music and rte pulse should become an actual dance station.
    2xm or even pulse on fm would be nice but it is unlikely. if 2fm was to be replaced then gold is the most likely to do so. after that, as i understand there isn't another national transmission network available for another rte service without taking 1 of the already existing transmission networks used by the commercial sector (today fm and or newstalk) or taking whatever has been set asside for the national licence that is being proposed by the BAI.

2XM in Dublin taking the place of Phantom/TXFM, and I assume that nationally that there is space at local levels. I wasn't suggesting replacing 2FM with 2XM or Gold.

The new commercial service would be given their broadcast licence to serve the above audiences, rather than a supposed public service news and current affairs provisions as given to other commercial operators.

RTÉ2 is a basket case.

BTW I defend RTÉ for years on baords, but currently they aren't doing their job and there is no real change taking place under Dee Forbes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

BTW I defend RTÉ for years on baords, but currently they aren't doing their job and there is no real change taking place under Dee Forbes.
    Did you think they hired a woman to take risks.

vriesmays wrote: »
    Did you think they hired a woman to take risks.

Nothing to do with her being a woman, I expected more from Cathal Goan because he’d done well in TG4, not sure if Noel Curran did anything special during his time. And from Dee Forbes some amount of change considering she was from outside RTÉ.

Do you notice how RTÉ didn't mention this spend? They blamed the 7.2million the spend on "special events", which they also did in 2016?

RTÉ have said that they have to cut in areas but in this area they haven't ever cut not really, not since 2003, the lowest amount they have spend was in 2014 when they went below 20m, in 2017 it was at the highest at 26m, while it fell slight back in 2018 to 25m.

We have to make cuts but not to one of the largest areas where we spend money. This is an important question. Surely this money is the cause of their losses not 7.2m on their "special events" which no one gives out about and based on their own figures they actually budgeted well for them.

it seems strange on the face of it, but it will come down to whether that spend actually does make a loss or not.
    There is nothing gained by keeping them in RTÉ. RTÉ2 and 2FM could sink or swim. Again the budget for 2fm saw no decrease yet cuts given to other areas. Why has RTÉ insisted that 2fm should retain all of its budget when making a loss. Before 2012 2fm go no public funding, since then it has lost audiences and retained its budget?

but again if rte is to provide new services then it is going to have to keep the rte 2 transmitter to provide at least 1 of them and probably scrap rte 1+1 and jr to provide the others. so really as i said there is nothing to move to the commercial sector once you strip out what rte will need to provide the new services you propose.
    Moving them to Commerical might introduce some competition into the sector. Largely TV in Ireland is a duopoly between RTÉ and Virgin Media, both complaint about opt-out advertising but fail to make changes to their own channels and content.

what competition would it introduce? there is plenty of competition within the tv market as a whole whatever about in ireland, and there is only a small amount of actual quality programming produced. ireland is a small tv market and saorview is able to take a number of stations if it wishes to do so, yet how many providers are queueing up to jump on? the last i heard none unless some have come forward recently. the reason why virgin media won't make changes to it's content is because it doesn't have to. it's a commercial business so is only going to provide what makes money. rte on the other hand is expected to be both commercial and public service at the same time, so are going to try and bring in as much commercial income as they can get. we may disagree with it being that way but until everyone complains enough to force the government to allow rte to focus on ps only then i can't see anything changing.
    2XM in Dublin taking the place of Phantom/TXFM, and I assume that nationally that there is space at local levels. I wasn't suggesting replacing 2FM with 2XM or Gold.

yes but you aren't going to be able to fit all of those national services. rte 2xm, and the the BAI are proposing.
    DoThe new commercial service would be given their broadcast licence to serve the above audiences, rather than a supposed public service news and current affairs provisions as given to other commercial operators.

even so, something like rte pulse is unlikely to be commercially viable. even 2xm is unlikely to be as it seems to be a lot brauder then tx/phantom. 8 radio could be licenced to go after the phantom/tx market. and 2xm could provide a much brauder offering as part of rte.
    DoRTÉ2 is a basket case.

so it can be changed to provide the gold service you propose.
    DoBTW I defend RTÉ for years on baords, but currently they aren't doing their job and there is no real change taking place under Dee Forbes.

that is not surprising. rte is in a position where it is expected to appeal to everyone when that is just not possible. rte is expected to be both commercial and public service at the same time. how can they make changes when in reality by the looks of it at least, they have little support from all sides?

Come on now EOTR.
    There are many instances when this is not the case. The Margaret Cash RTE reporting/interview comes to mind. No questions about her criminality and previous convictions, or who advised her to go to the Garda station, or about her husband's contribution to the care/support of his children etc. etc.
    None of these questions were asked.

because it would be threading over old ground. we already know the answers and she isn't going to give an answer.
    When they report or highlight any liberal cause du jour, it will be overtly biased towards that cause.

it will report the facts of the situation yes . that is it's job and that is exactly what it does. rte has a fine line to thread in terms of being impartial and balanced, and trying to keep almost everyone on side.

it seems strange on the face of it, but it will come down to whether that spend actually does make a loss or not.

So you telling me the World Cup that was one of their most watch events were they were selling ads at a premium made a loss? And that Imported Programming that airs after mid-night, of which some don't take advertising and other less advertising and while some shows are unavailable on the Player which in turn only generates the kind of audience of a plus one service?

:confused:
    but again if rte is to provide new services then it is going to have to keep the rte 2 transmitter to provide at least 1 of them and probably scrap rte 1+1 and jr to provide the others. so really as i said there is nothing to move to the commercial sector once you strip out what rte will need to provide the new services you propose.

Yes, they should scrap RTÉ ONE +1, and replace it with RTÉ Gold. RTÉ News Now would merge with Oireachtas TV and provide some live sports.

As I said RTÉjr would merge with TG4 who would become the Public Service Media provider for Children's Content, Film and Irish Language on both Radio and TV. TG4 would have TG4, RTÉjr and the Irish Film Channel as separate channels. (Plus RnaG and RTÉjr Radio, Chill replace by Radio RiRa)

RTÉ2, 2FM etc would become a new service with almost all of RTÉ's imports going to the new service along with some sports like Champions League. National Sports would most likely have to stay with RTÉ and TG4.
    what competition would it introduce? there is plenty of competition within the tv market as a whole whatever about in ireland, and there is only a small amount of actual quality programming produced. ireland is a small tv market and saorview is able to take a number of stations if it wishes to do so, yet how many providers are queueing up to jump on? the last i heard none unless some have come forward recently. the reason why virgin media won't make changes to it's content is because it doesn't have to. it's a commercial business so is only going to provide what makes money. rte on the other hand is expected to be both commercial and public service at the same time, so are going to try and bring in as much commercial income as they can get. we may disagree with it being that way but until everyone complains enough to force the government to allow rte to focus on ps only then i can't see anything changing.

TV market in Ireland in squashed by opt-out advertising, by introducing a new Irish Service you might being to see Irish TV grow a bit of an audience rather than 55% staying with English TV.

Why would foreign channels come in when they can just take ad revenue from Ireland via their English channels, while also getting money from cable and satellite companies for carriage? This is why RTÉ2 is strongly placed to take an independent position on Saorview.

I am not foolish enough to think that any Irish station could run a 24 hour station of just Irish programming. But more Irish content could be provided.

Virgin Media and RTÉ with an independent home competitor RTÉ2 would have a strong competitor and they would have to improve. Otherwise their market share will continue to decline.
    yes but you aren't going to be able to fit all of those national services. rte 2xm, and the the BAI are proposing.

I am only suggesting 2XM, the FM services will remain the same, RTÉ2fm will have those extra digital stations. what are the BAI proposing, to do absolutely nothing as they have always done?
    even so, something like rte pulse is unlikely to be commercially viable. even 2xm is unlikely to be as it seems to be a lot broader then tx/phantom. 8 radio could be licenced to go after the phantom/tx market. and 2xm could provide a much broader offering as part of rte.

Again I am suggesting that RTÉ2 (including digital station) would be limited by their contract, as to what they could provided 2XM, PULSE and 2FM would have to provide a certain level of public service broadcast in term of music and content rather than in terms of current affairs and news. TV wise it would have to provide programming to 8 -12 under TRTÉ.
    so it can be changed to provide the gold service you propose.

RTÉ Gold radio would remain largely the same but RTÉ would have to have a number of programmes from the archives such as the Doc On 1 or a look back at radio from the past along with the currently line up. They would also have a sister TV channel which would replace RTÉ 1+1.
    that is not surprising. rte is in a position where it is expected to appeal to everyone when that is just not possible. rte is expected to be both commercial and public service at the same time. how can they make changes when in reality by the looks of it at least, they have little support from all sides?

I still bring it down to the 24 million. Yes RTÉ have to be everything to everyone and they can't be that. But they have shown in the past that they want to do that.

Not everything will be new, not everything will be Irish but RTÉ should be able to provide some of the services that they are not providing.

They should be able to invest in High quality drama and Children's Content.

Any none of this will happen. so I don't know why I am arguing it.

At the end of the day RTÉ is not fit for purpose and they are unwilling to make cuts in certain areas where cuts should be made.

The Reform has be come from both RTÉ and the licence fee, as it currently stands.

• Advertisement

So you telling me the World Cup that was one of their most watch events were they were selling ads at a premium made a loss? And that Imported Programming that airs after mid-night, of which some don't take advertising and other less advertising and while some shows are unavailable on the Player which in turn only generates the kind of audience of a plus one service?

no, and i'm not sure how you are getting any of this from what i actually said.
    Yes, they should scrap RTÉ ONE +1, and replace it with RTÉ Gold. RTÉ News Now would merge with Oireachtas TV and provide some live sports.

that could be done.
    As I said RTÉjr would merge with TG4 who would become the Public Service Media provider for Children's Content, Film and Irish Language on both Radio and TV. TG4 would have TG4, RTÉjr and the Irish Film Channel as separate channels. (Plus RnaG and RTÉjr Radio, Chill replace by Radio RiRa)

chill is a service worth keeping and could be braudened to include similar genres of electronica during the day. if radio rira wishes to go on dab then i am sure they could approach rte themselves as the dab network probably has enough slots.
    RTÉ2, 2FM etc would become a new service with almost all of RTÉ's imports going to the new service along with some sports like Champions League. National Sports would most likely have to stay with RTÉ and TG4.

but again here is the problem. if we sell the whole of them lock stock and barrel then we are restricting rte's ability to provide another service. creating a new transmission setup from scratch to replace rte 2 at least is going to cost. and there is already virgin media which could probably cover the imported stuff. unless these new services are going to remain with rte after all?
    TV market in Ireland in squashed by opt-out advertising, by introducing a new Irish Service you might being to see Irish TV grow a bit of an audience rather than 55% staying with English TV.

how is it squashed by opt out advertising? the commercial sector can choose to take it or not can they not?
    a new irish service could likely launch if someone wanted to do so, yet none are launching. tv3 even sold up to virgin media. even taking a look at the uk tv market where there are loads of tv stations, which we can also receive, many of them are just repeats or more low brow nonsense similar to what is available here, just done better. i am not seeing what any new irish servicee could offer, so much that we would sell rte 2 rather then use it to provide another rte service.
    Why would foreign channels come in when they can just take ad revenue from Ireland via their English channels, while also getting money from cable and satellite companies for carriage? This is why RTÉ2 is strongly placed to take an independent position on Saorview.

they likely wouldn't. even if rte 2 was to be sold. it would just become an outlet for whatever they are already providing which we can likely already get.

I am not foolish enough to think that any Irish station could run a 24 hour station of just Irish programming. But more Irish content could be provided.

you don't need to sell rte 2 for that to happen. you simply need to reposition rte to focus on public service, minority and irish programming only. the likes of vergin media can be left to provide the imported "entertainment"
    Virgin Media and RTÉ with an independent home competitor RTÉ2 would have a strong competitor and they would have to improve. Otherwise their market share will continue to decline.

you are again assuming the new rte 2 would be providing better programming, so much so that virgin media are going to up their offering. that is unlikely. it will likely be the same as what is already available.
    I am only suggesting 2XM, the FM services will remain the same, RTÉ2fm will have those extra digital stations. what are the BAI proposing, to do absolutely nothing as they have always done?

the BAI are proposing to licence a national service as soon as the conditions allow for it. operators will have to apply once the competition is opened, if it ends up being so.
    Again I am suggesting that RTÉ2 (including digital station) would be limited by their contract, as to what they could provided 2XM, PULSE and 2FM would have to provide a certain level of public service broadcast in term of music and content rather than in terms of current affairs and news. TV wise it would have to provide programming to 8 -12 under TRTÉ.

so why not just keep them within rte then.
    i wouldn't be surprised if long term we see the public service element of commercial radio and tv being scrapped as the audience and revenue decline.
    RTÉ Gold radio would remain largely the same but RTÉ would have to have a number of programmes from the archives such as the Doc On 1 or a look back at radio from the past along with the currently line up. They would also have a sister TV channel which would replace RTÉ 1+1.

that is fine.
    I still bring it down to the 24 million. Yes RTÉ have to be everything to everyone and they can't be that. But they have shown in the past that they want to do that.

because in reality they probably don't have much of a choice.
    Not everything will be new, not everything will be Irish but RTÉ should be able to provide some of the services that they are not providing.

They should be able to invest in High quality drama and Children's Content.

Any none of this will happen. so I don't know why I am arguing it.

At the end of the day RTÉ is not fit for purpose and they are unwilling to make cuts in certain areas where cuts should be made.

The Reform has be come from both RTÉ and the licence fee, as it currently stands.

they are able to invest in new services and on things like drama and children's programming rather then imports but it is a question of whether they would get the support to actually do it.

no, and i'm not sure how you are getting any of this from what i actually said.

You seem to be willing to say that RTÉ are being truthful when they say that the special events caused their losses, but that the refuse to tackle either 2fm or Imported Content, in terms of spend.

you are again assuming the new rte 2 would be providing better programming, so much so that virgin media are going to up their offering. that is unlikely. it will likely be the same as what is already available.

I am assume that they would have to use their bought in content correctly. RTÉ2 is languishing at RTÉ. It's filled with Repeats, has just about 6% of the audience with sport. (excluding the Soccer World Cup when it had 10%, but it made a loss during that tournament????)
    the BAI are proposing to licence a national service as soon as the conditions allow for it. operators will have to apply once the competition is opened, if it ends up being so.

Why would it matter to the BAI when is the most appropriate time? a new commercial service is commercial if it fails it fails. Any IMO they pretty much rule it out.
    so why not just keep them within rte then.
    i wouldn't be surprised if long term we see the public service element of commercial radio and tv being scrapped as the audience and revenue decline.

Because RTÉ on the one had want nothing to do with RTÉ2, and are for some reason keeping 2fm afloat with by giving them licence fee funds for no reason.
    because in reality they probably don't have much of a choice.

Yes they do, they can choose to buy in less programming, or as they did in 2017 more!
    they are able to invest in new services and on things like drama and children's programming rather then imports but it is a question of whether they would get the support to actually do it.

Who would support them creating jobs in the TV and Film industry?
    They seemed to have no problem cutting children's content by 75%, when they said they where going to cut children's programming!
    chill is a service worth keeping and could be broaden to include similar genres of electronica during the day. if radio rira wishes to go on dab then i am sure they could approach rte themselves as the dab network probably has enough slots.

I think Radio RiRa is on DAB. But it Chill goes back to being everything to everyone.
    but again here is the problem. if we sell the whole of them lock stock and barrel then we are restricting rte's ability to provide another service. creating a new transmission setup from scratch to replace rte 2 at least is going to cost. and there is already virgin media which could probably cover the imported stuff. unless these new services are going to remain with rte after all?

They've already done it by setting up RTÉ2 +1,

RTÉ ONE - no change
    RTÉ TWO - commercial
    RTÉ NEWS NOW - merge with OTV
    RTÉ ONE +1 - RTÉ GOLD
    RTÉjr - with TG4
    TG4 - no change
    RTÉ TWO +1 - Up to the new entity what to do with it
    Share with RTÉjr- Irish Film channel under TG4
    Oireachtas TV still available.

Virgin Media are happy not to enter the import market they have their ITV deal, they know that that's more important.
    how is it squashed by opt out advertising? the commercial sector can choose to take it or not can they not?
    a new irish service could likely launch if someone wanted to do so, yet none are launching. tv3 even sold up to virgin media. even taking a look at the uk tv market where there are loads of tv stations, which we can also receive, many of them are just repeats or more low brow nonsense similar to what is available here, just done better. i am not seeing what any new irish servicee could offer, so much that we would sell rte 2 rather then use it to provide another rte service.

40 - 60m goes to the opt out market! TV3 sold up because the made bad business decisions going back to 2006, when it was bought for 265m, sold to Virgin Media for 80m. TV3/Virgin Media have never look to US or Australian TV, even when it lost Coro St and Emmers it did fight back with other programmes. UTV Ireland failed because it spent to much on News and failed to use it local radio and NI service for that part of their broadcast. It did well in terms of audience share and could have continued if they'd been more careful.

You seem to be willing to say that RTÉ are being truthful when they say that the special events caused their losses, but that the refuse to tackle either 2fm or Imported Content, in terms of spend.

perhapse the events did cause the losses. i don't know. perhapse some of their imported content either caused or are part of the losses, again i don't know. i do think however that rte would have some idea of what is causing their losses however. if it turns out they aren't being truthful, then by all means they should be called out on that.
    I am assume that they would have to use their bought in content correctly.

i don't know how you use it correctly. either it has an audience or it doesn't surely?
    RTÉ2 is languishing at RTÉ. It's filled with Repeats, has just about 6% of the audience with sport. (excluding the Soccer World Cup when it had 10%, but it made a loss during that tournament????)

tbh repeats are the way for many many tv channels unfortunately. just looking at all of the non-irish ones, nothing but repeats on many of them. so the solution is to focus the channel on other programming rather then giving it to the commercial sector to pump more of the same dross.
    Why would it matter to the BAI when is the most appropriate time? a new commercial service is commercial if it fails it fails. Any IMO they pretty much rule it out.

ultimately it doesn't and shouldn't matter, but unfortunately the way everything is set up means that the BAI get to interfear beyond simply providing a licence. a proper market would have saw the likes of 4fm off the air years ago for example. that is how it should be.
    Because RTÉ on the one had want nothing to do with RTÉ2, and are for some reason keeping 2fm afloat with by giving them licence fee funds for no reason.

so again refocus their programming remit.

Yes they do, they can choose to buy in less programming, or as they did in 2017 more!

if they bought in less, you would have people complaining that they aren't doing enough to survive by trying to bring in programming of commercial value.
    Who would support them creating jobs in the TV and Film industry?
    They seemed to have no problem cutting children's content by 75%, when they said they where going to cut children's programming!
    who supports the creation of jobs in the film and tv industry as it is? tv i believe isn't exactly the easiest industry to get into.
    I think Radio RiRa is on DAB. But it Chill goes back to being everything to everyone.

yes but chill is within their remit. music that is not commercially viable but provides choice all be it to a small audience. ergo minority programming.
    They've already done it by setting up RTÉ2 +1,

RTÉ ONE - no change
    RTÉ TWO - commercial
    RTÉ NEWS NOW - merge with OTV
    RTÉ ONE +1 - RTÉ GOLD
    RTÉjr - with TG4
    TG4 - no change
    RTÉ TWO +1 - Up to the new entity what to do with it
    Share with RTÉjr- Irish Film channel under TG4
    Oireachtas TV still available.

or rte 2 and + 1 could provide some other rte service. if there is room for more commercial channels the commercial sector will set them up themselves.
    Virgin Media are happy not to enter the import market they have their ITV deal, they know that that's more important.

of course they are happy with their ITV deal. they effectively get programs handed to them for a fee?
    40 - 60m goes to the opt out market! TV3 sold up because the made bad business decisions going back to 2006, when it was bought for 265m, sold to Virgin Media for 80m. TV3/Virgin Media have never look to US or Australian TV, even when it lost Coro St and Emmers it did fight back with other programmes. UTV Ireland failed because it spent to much on News and failed to use it local radio and NI service for that part of their broadcast. It did well in terms of audience share and could have continued if they'd been more careful.

i believe tv3 did have the odd australian show. presumably other then what they did have, tv3, and now virgin media feel there is no audience hence they are going to put on what they believe is guaranteed to have an audience. they are a commercial business.

Jaysus EOTR I must take a week off work soon just to read a few of your posts.

Edit.

Elmo is getting as bad.

Jaysus EOTR I must take a week off work soon just to read a few of your posts.

Edit.

Elmo is getting as bad.

Never read multiple posts.

perhapse the events did cause the losses. i don't know. perhapse some of their imported content either caused or are part of the losses, again i don't know. i do think however that rte would have some idea of what is causing their losses however. if it turns out they aren't being truthful, then by all means they should be called out on that.

I am calling them out on this. You can't just take one aspect of you business and blame it, particularly when it looks as if they generally did a good job and also seem to have budgeted quiet well for those events. You have to look at your organisation as a whole.

RTÉ since 2003 have ring fence imported programming, unlike any other form of content, Dee Forbes suggest she has to take a look at cuts across the board, yet RTÉ will possible pay 25million for imports this year and the next. They are not worth this for a variety of reasons, but also you have to make cuts.
    i don't know how you use it correctly. either it has an audience or it doesn't surely?

Promote them (imported programming), air it in prime time locations, put it on them all on the Player and have the player work.
    tbh repeats are the way for many many tv channels unfortunately. just looking at all of the non-irish ones, nothing but repeats on many of them. so the solution is to focus the channel on other programming rather then giving it to the commercial sector to pump more of the same dross..

Both the BBC and Channel 4 have to report how many repeats they have on BBC 1, 2 and Channel 4, they have certain commitments to meet on their main public service channels. AFAIR BBC1 only has 3% of repeats, BBC2 has 25% while Channel 4 has 9% repeats during prime time TV. This compares to 25% on RTÉ ONE (remove news and it gets to 50%) and RTÉ2 has 55% repeats, this is a crazy amount for the main service, extra channels are in their nature repeat channels. (During Prime time hours, look at BBC and Channel 4 Annual reports for reference).
    ultimately it doesn't and shouldn't matter, but unfortunately the way everything is set up means that the BAI get to interfear beyond simply providing a licence. a proper market would have saw the likes of 4fm off the air years ago for example. that is how it should be.

Classic Hits :D But yes, suppose they had to change and the BAI let them, sin é.
    so again refocus their programming remit

That's something RTÉ could do tomorrow, they choose not to and have let RTÉ2 languish and 2fm spend millions for very little return.
    if they bought in less, you would have people complaining that they aren't doing enough to survive by trying to bring in programming of commercial value.

People don't see the vast majority of programmes that they buy in, RTÉ don't promote them and don't seem to have any real interest in them unless they are massive shows.
    who supports the creation of jobs in the film and tv industry as it is? tv i believe isn't exactly the easiest industry to get into.

Children's Content is a key aspect of getting into the industry. RTÉ choose to cut its funding by 75%, when they said they would not be cutting funding to children's content, a hard industry to get into made even harder by decisions such as spending 25m on imported programming (that's nearly TG4's total budget for commissions!!!!).
    yes but chill is within their remit. music that is not commercially viable but provides choice all be it to a small audience. ergo minority programming.

As is Radio RiRa.
    or rte 2 and + 1 could provide some other rte service. if there is room for more commercial channels the commercial sector will set them up themselves.

Well then RTÉ need to improve RTÉ2, its that simple, alternatively move it away from RTÉ, you could have said the same thing when Channel 4 set up.
    i believe tv3 did have the odd australian show. presumably other then what they did have, tv3, and now virgin media feel there is no audience hence they are going to put on what they believe is guaranteed to have an audience. they are a commercial business.

I am talking about during the period when TV3 did not have their ITV programmes.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Is everyone excited for TWINKlings this Saturday night?

a trip down the memory lane of your favourite TV personality with your favourite TV personality???
    Whatever about RTÉ splashing the cash, they're hardly spunking their entire budget on this show are they?

Saturday Night Prime Time - Twink showing us old videos of Twink = What a time to be aliv......... you know the drill.

Can I just buy 2 TV Licences?

• Advertisement

I am calling them out on this. You can't just take one aspect of you business and blame it, particularly when it looks as if they generally did a good job and also seem to have budgeted quiet well for those events. You have to look at your organisation as a whole.

RTÉ since 2003 have ring fence imported programming, unlike any other form of content, Dee Forbes suggest she has to take a look at cuts across the board, yet RTÉ will possible pay 25million for imports this year and the next. They are not worth this for a variety of reasons, but also you have to make cuts.

Promote them (imported programming), air it in prime time locations, put it on them all on the Player and have the player work.

Both the BBC and Channel 4 have to report how many repeats they have on BBC 1, 2 and Channel 4, they have certain commitments to meet on their main public service channels. AFAIR BBC1 only has 3% of repeats, BBC2 has 25% while Channel 4 has 9% repeats during prime time TV. This compares to 25% on RTÉ ONE (remove news and it gets to 50%) and RTÉ2 has 55% repeats, this is a crazy amount for the main service, extra channels are in their nature repeat channels. (During Prime time hours, look at BBC and Channel 4 Annual reports for reference).

Classic Hits But yes, suppose they had to change and the BAI let them, sin é.

That's something RTÉ could do tomorrow, they choose not to and have let RTÉ2 languish and 2fm spend millions for very little return.

People don't see the vast majority of programmes that they buy in, RTÉ don't promote them and don't seem to have any real interest in them unless they are massive shows.

Children's Content is a key aspect of getting into the industry. RTÉ choose to cut its funding by 75%, when they said they would not be cutting funding to children's content, a hard industry to get into made even harder by decisions such as spending 25m on imported programming (that's nearly TG4's total budget for commissions!!!!).

As is Radio RiRa.

Well then RTÉ need to improve RTÉ2, its that simple, alternatively move it away from RTÉ, you could have said the same thing when Channel 4 set up.

I am talking about during the period when TV3 did not have their ITV programmes.

radio rira is not an rte owned and ran station though. what is unique about it is it speaks irish instead of english but it's music is played on plenty of other radio stations. essentially it's content is already covered but just not together in 1 station. chill would be more minority and within rte's remit. radio rira as a privately owned station is the responsibility of those behind it. if radio rira wish to be on more outlets then it is for them to make that decision and discuss with whoever to make it happen.
    the channel 4 situation is not comparible to the situation with rte 2 as it was set up in different circumstances within a very different country with a large population. ireland is a tiny population where the commercial tv that does exist here is providing more or less what is already available on ITV etc.

Advertisement