Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 330e

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

mickdw wrote: »
    Its a bit simplistic to say it's best buy. If you are doing 1000 miles per week, it's the wrong car.
    It is certainly a great option for Someone wanting petrol

Sounds like it's the best buy for just about everyone except Taxi drivers and some sales reps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Sounds like it's the best buy for just about everyone except Taxi drivers and some sales reps.

Or anyone who does long distance journeys, you're never going to get the claimed fuel economy if you go from say Galway to Cork, 50 mpg is the best you'll get (and that's still really good for a petrol, but I bet a 320d would do at least 55 mpg on a similar run plus the fact that diesel is cheaper).

It's supposed to be a good car to drive as well, because despite the considerable extra weight, the batteries are mounted very low down in the car so the handling isn't really any worse than a standard 3 series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

Yeah
    There's no doubt that if you do longer journeys you're better in a diesel. but if a fair bit of your driving is urban or shorter distances then this will be good. Never mind that you don't have to listen to a diesel racket.

Or anyone who does long distance journeys, you're never going to get the claimed fuel economy if you go from say Galway to Cork, 50 mpg is the best you'll get (and that's still really good for a petrol, but I bet a 320d would do at least 55 mpg on a similar run plus the fact that diesel is cheaper).

It's supposed to be a good car to drive as well, because despite the considerable extra weight, the batteries are mounted very low down in the car so the handling isn't really any worse than a standard 3 series.

Well nobody only does long distance driving. If it'll only be 10% worse than a diesel on a long journey then it arguably makes the 320d pointless for all drivers as it'll perform much better on short journeys, has around 250bhp and will be more refined than even a 6 cylinder diesel.

I have a 520D which is obviously heavier than a 320d but only get 40mpg in mixed driving around Dublin. Usually get close to 50mpg on a long journey driving around 140. A 5 series version of this would make total sense for me and any other Dublin-based driver. There's a lot of 520D's in Dublin. Plus cities would be much quieter cleaner places with more cars like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I like this car but no way will it be within 10 percent of a diesel on a long run.
    I'm currently driving a 1.8 turbo petrol and get about 30 mpg.
    Driven similarly I'd expect the bmw 2.0 turbo to be only marginally better given the energy recovery onboard.
    As I say I don't think it's the car for anyone doing a lot of miles but if the typically daily drive can be done on electric or even 50 percent of the daily drive, You would be beating the diesels hands down.
    It also had the other market, people who would buy a petrol 3 series regardless of economy. The fact that you get a 330 for entry level money makes it a no brainer for that market too.

I have a 2.0 petrol golf gti.
    On a longer journey I can get 38-40 if I take it very very easy but usually low 30's is more likely. If I could get 45 plus on a longer journey with similar performance to what I have that would be good.
    A diesel on a longer journey is obviously better but not in town or stop start driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

We have a diesel bmw in the house. Monday to Friday the engine never even warms up. In that time it would do 75 miles. It gets the odd longer run at the weekend, but still doing more than 50 miles in a day would be rare for it. This type of car would make a lot of sense for that type of driving. Electric assistant to reduce mpg nearly all the time that came from charging at home/work.

More economical
    More powerful
    Much more refined

A lot of urban situations I imagine would be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 volcan132

Hi all, I expect to be in the market for a new car in the near future. I have to admit the 330e really catches my eye. One thing in particular is giving me pause for thought. My daily work commute is 25 miles each way of which 20 miles each way are on rural roads of 80/100 km/h speed limits. Am I silly to be even thinking of a hybrid?

volcan132 wrote: »
    Hi all, I expect to be in the market for a new car in the near future. I have to admit the 330e really catches my eye. One thing in particular is giving me pause for thought. My daily work commute is 25 miles each way of which 20 miles each way are on rural roads of 80/100 km/h speed limits. Am I silly to be even thinking of a hybrid?
    You won't do it on all electric but id imagine with a full fill of electricity on board, it would make for excellent mpg over the entire journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I have a 520D which is obviously heavier than a 320d but only get 40mpg in mixed driving around Dublin. Usually get close to 50mpg on a long journey driving around 140. A 5 series version of this would make total sense for me and any other Dublin-based driver. There's a lot of 520D's in Dublin. Plus cities would be much quieter cleaner places with more cars like this.
    the 530 e is due out next year, 25 mile electric only range...

As mick says I would agree you would get excellent fuel economy from the 330 e on your commute. Whether it would be much better than diesel is hard to know.
    I think this car will be very much dependant on how much charge you can get access to regularly. If you could charge it every night and don't do journeys greater than 100km regularly I'd say it's a winner alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 volcan132

mickdw wrote: »
    You won't do it on all electric but id imagine with a full fill of electricity on board, it would make for excellent mpg over the entire journey.
    carsfan wrote: »
    As mick says I would agree you would get excellent fuel economy from the 330 e on your commute. Whether it would be much better than diesel is hard to know.
    I think this car will be very much dependant on how much charge you can get access to regularly. If you could charge it every night and don't do journeys greater than 100km regularly I'd say it's a winner alright.

Thanks for the replies.

Charging at night wouldn't be a problem as I would be able to charge it at home at night (I presume ESB would install a charge point for me). My place of work is open to the idea of installing one as well.

I've only ever owned petrols. Do you think I do enough mileage to justify a diesel?

volcan132 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

Charging at night wouldn't be a problem as I would be able to charge it at home at night (I presume ESB would install a charge point for me). My place of work is open to the idea of installing one as well.

I've only ever owned petrols. Do you think I do enough mileage to justify a diesel?

Wouldn't bother with a diesel for the mileage you do.
    If charging at work could be arranged you would be set.

Apparently BMW UK have started cancelling people's orders of the 330e as demand has been so high their entire allocation has already been reached!
    I think the government grants there with favourable company car tax on it make it extremely cheap to run there.
    Amazing that over here the dealers still seem to know little enough about the model.

The purchase price in the uk is not as cheap as here relative to the model range.
    As bmw ireland is only a regional division of bmw uk, we might not see too many of them here.

• Advertisement

Yeah and the government grant there is reducing from 5000 pounds to 2500 pounds for cars ordered after March 1st. So people are ordering now.
    Probably government grant will be reduced here too if these type of cars catch on.

Yeah and the government grant there is reducing from 5000 pounds to 2500 pounds for cars ordered after March 1st. So people are ordering now.
    Probably government grant will be reduced here too if these type of cars catch on.

Sounds like there could be people paying a premium to buy out order spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

I'll play the long game on this especially with the 530e that someone mentioned. I start a new job Monday but the commute is still within the range of these machines. I don't spend a huge amount on fuel in my petrol e39 at the moment but I could run one of these practically fossil fuel free most of the week as I don't travel more than 20/30 km away from the house except on the odd occasion. But the savings consistently would easily pay for my infrequent long journeys. Very, very interested especially if the government are committed to rewarding greener drivers into the future which I think they will have to be.

bmwguy wrote: »
    especially if the government are committed to rewarding greener drivers into the future which I think they will have to be.

They'll reward them until these cars reach critical mass, then they'll screw them like every motorist.

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    They'll reward them until these cars reach critical mass, then they'll screw them like every motorist.

That much is pretty obvious but id say there is 5 years to play with here.

• Advertisement

I dunno, I reckon the government grants will go quick enough if these type of cars gain any traction in the market.

I dunno, I reckon the government grants will go quick enough if these type of cars gain any traction in the market.
    Ya grants will go rather quickly but electricity costs still make electric cars stupidly cheap to run. At a point where there are large numbers on the road, the government are surely going to come up with a tax that makes running an electric similarly priced to running a diesel. At that stage they will be pointless.
    I can see them bringing in the PRAT tax on all electricity used for road transport.
    (Premium Rate Automotive Tariff)

Called to another dealer about this.
    I was their first enquiry. Surprise surprise.
    The sales manager came over to say however there was a bulletin from bmw to say supply is limited on them due to high order volume in Europe.
    Couldn't get accurate final figures even on their own system as it doesnt take the grants into account.
    The finance guy did say that he could take the 5k grant off either the deposit or the list depending on what I want .
    They reckon residuals not a prob either as the gfv was showing 24.5k and he said there is no way any 3 series m sport will be that cheap in 3 years. Reckons 30k plus.

To update about this car.
    In with dealer today.
    That are now saying I have to apply to get the 5k grant for the car. They can take off the 2.5k vrt relief but I have to pay up front then claim back the vat.
    Does anyone know if this is correct?
    If I order now, there is such a demand world wide and in Europe especially, it will be June/July before car will arrive so will be 162.
    Edit
    Just checked and dealer has it wrong about the grant. Seai website explains that customer and dealer apply when car is ordered and the grant comes off the price.
    Complicated stuff.

To update about this car.
    In with dealer today.
    That are now saying I have to apply to get the 5k grant for the car. They can take off the 2.5k vrt relief but I have to pay up front then claim back the vat.
    Does anyone know if this is correct?
    If I order now, there is such a demand world wide and in Europe especially, it will be June/July before car will arrive so will be 162.
    Edit
    Just checked and dealer has it wrong about the grant. Seai website explains that customer and dealer apply when car is ordered and the grant comes off the price.
    Complicated stuff.

If you pm me an email address, I will forward the quote I got. You don't have to pay the 5k at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

^^ I was told the same, you never pay the €5000.

Hi Mick
    Think you need to clear some space before pm can be accepted.

Should be room now

What do those following this think is a reasonable spec for a 330e?

I got prices for a sport model and an m sport plus.
    The sport with visibility pack(led lights etc.)heated seats,upgraded speakers , privacy glass and upgrade alloys comes in after grants etc. at about 45 k on the road.
    The m sport with the plus pack and heated seats is 50k.
    They obviously are essentially the same car just m sport looks better, a bit more special.
    I haven't decided if I even will buy one but wanted opinions on what others would go with if buying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

5k difference is a fair chunk of money if it's just a few visual differences between the Sport and M Sport. Does the Sport come with the sports seats? Presume the Sport doesn't come with the M Sport suspension?

I'd also recommend the auto dimming/tilting/folding exterior mirror pack. Have them on my F10 and are so handy.

• Advertisement

Same sports seats in both.
    Steering wheel in m sport much nicer.
    Should add dealer said if pcp then go m sport with plus pack as won't add hugely to monthly due to good residual and he reckons would be much more sought after car in a few years but he would say that wouldn't he?
    The folding mirror pack is another 413 euro. I added that but forgot to mention in my post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Does the M Sport have the visibility pack also?

Yeah m sport plus model has it included alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭digiman

Yeah m sport plus model has it included alright.

I've a very high specced 328i Msport. I would recommend getting the headsup display and the comfort access. They are my 2 favourite options I think that I would spec again on another car.
    Surround view is also great when parking, will save your alloys quite a bit as it gives a really good 360deg birds-eye surround view of the car when parking.

If you can afford it I would go for the M-sport for sure, makes the car a hell of a lot better looking. I would drop other options to ensure I had that.

Digiman
    I would guess a bmw 328i is a very rare car in Ireland. Yours sounds like it's loaded.
    I would love some of the stuff you've listed but would find it very hard to justify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭digiman

Digiman
    I would guess a bmw 328i is a very rare car in Ireland. Yours sounds like it's loaded.
    I would love some of the stuff you've listed but would find it very hard to justify.

I wouldn't be shocked if it's the only one, it will be interesting when I go to sell it in a couple of months I suppose!! But as you say it's got basically everything you could imagine.

I'd say there would be good interest in a car like yours with such a full spec.
    A few posters on here might even be keen.
    Petrol cars definitely making a comeback.

Don't know if any interest in this but cars are being delivered in UK and people on bimmerpost and pistonheads are posting their findings which are largely positive.
    Appears you have to drive it in a certain way to get the best fuel returns but seems to be regular 3 series with good ride, handling etc.

Over here BMW Ireland have one car now and my dealer is getting it for me to test drive next week to see what it's like with a demo from the bmw hybrid expert.

..... with a demo from the bmw hybrid expert.

He might even know where the plug is on the car..... I'm not convinced by the bmw experts at all

• Advertisement

Don't know if anybody else still interested but I got a test drive in this today.
    I thought it was a very impressive package overall for some drivers. Not good if you're a high motorway miler as diesel still better but for a lot this could be good. Very quick and smooth acceleration and cool in town on electric power.
    BMW have 23 Irish orders for July apparently.

Don't know if anybody else still interested but I got a test drive in this today.
    I thought it was a very impressive package overall for some drivers. Not good if you're a high motorway miler as diesel still better but for a lot this could be good. Very quick and smooth acceleration and cool in town on electric power.

You didn't happen to see how many miles it would do on all electric?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Any more impressions from it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Where did you get a test drive?
    Seriously looking at one but not till I take it for a spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Thanks for this. That's encouraging to hear there's been some takers. I'd say there'll be even more next year as the model becomes more established and more people are aware of it. For most people, it makes a lot of sense, especially with the way it's priced - it's cheaper than a 318d automatic after all.

The simple fact is that without these cars there is no way any of the premium German makes can get through the EU's CO2 rules, not even diesel will be enough to get the fleet average down to 95 g/km by 2020 and 75 g/km by 2025. If they start to increase in popularity then we'll definitely see a move away from diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

23 is quite an impressive number for initial orders, considering the irish motoring public and the something of a leap of faith required to pull the trigger on electric.

I'd really like to go for the tech myself, but the 3 series just isn't for me.

• Advertisement

You won't get more than about 15 to 20 miles on all electric and the climate control/ heated seats reduce this.
    The car I drove was one that the dealer got brought down from bmw Ireland so I'm sure if a potential customer was interested any dealer could do the same.
    The car was a mineral white sport model with black 18" alloys and black mirrors. Loads of kit on it, electric seats, pro nav, surround view cameras etc.
    The ride was very good, firm but not too hard at all.
    Boot space is ok. Bigger than a golf but it doesn't come with folding rear seats which the genius recommended speccing to increase flexibility(350 euro).
    The car always starts on electric and in auto mode and then transitions to petrol when/if required. If you floor it you get combined engine and e boost and it picks up very quickly, faster than my golf gti. The handling was good, normal 3 series and steering was light but firms up at speed.
    The genius was saying that you should look at it as 2 cars in one. A performance car when you want it and an eco car in urban settings. When you input a destination in the nav and put it in auto mode the car works out in the route where to give you electric/ petrol or a combination.
    The sales guy says you're getting 330 performance with 320 economy at 318 prices thanks to the grants. He obviously would say that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Saw my first one today in the flesh. 161 D heading towards Dublin on the M11. Whoever it was wasn't worrying about saving range anyway. Nice car! Anyone from here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Bigger than a golf but it doesn't come with folding rear seats which the genius recommended speccing to increase flexibility(350 euro).
    It would be moronic not to get folding seats for E350! I had to get something into the brothers E39 5 series the other day, we both just assumed it would have folding seats, it didnt, pain in the ass, wed have taken the E46 instead otherwise, lesson learned...
    The genius was saying that you should look at it as 2 cars in one. A performance car when you want it and an eco car in urban settings. When you input a destination in the nav and put it in auto mode the car works out in the route where to give you electric/ petrol or a combination.
    Id agree with that, bloody hell my 325 ci 2.5 petrol does 0-100 in claimed 7.2, this is doing it in 6 flat. You are going to burn 99% plus of new cars sold off the line Id imagine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

All going well, I will be putting in my order this week for a July delivery :D

Subject to test drive and "appropriate" cash discount...

MaceFace wrote: »
    All going well, I will be putting in my order this week for a July delivery :D

Subject to test drive and "appropriate" cash discount...

Any word of them doing a 430e or 440e

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement