Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response - Part II - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Aegir wrote: »
    Have you considered that it isn’t the British that have a problem, but you?

How do *I* have the problem?

I'm following the guidelines, wearing a mask in all enclosed spaces and generally being considerate and thinking of others, just like the Spanish, Italians etc. are managing to do with minimal fuss and hassle.

There is a significant minority of people here who are belligerent spoiled children who refuse to 'be told what to do' and are putting others in danger.

But do explain why you think I have the issue, when all I'm doing is trying to keep myself and others safe and wishing that everyone would just respect the goddamn rules, which are there for a reason.

Before you give out about the British, wait and see what it’s like in Ireland next week. I suspect it will be worse. No one wears them at all in my local shop right now. Literally zero people. And I got laughed at for wearing one this afternoon. Not a chance that there is a good level of mask wearing here in stores next week, law or not

Whereabouts in Ireland are you? My friends and family over there have reported that mask wearing and adherence to guidelines are generally very good. And let's remember that there have been far, far fewer cases over there than England.

I live in a borough where pretty much everyone knows someone who has died of covid (even if distantly) and still people walk into shops without a mask on. It's not because they genuinely can't wear one for medical reasons, it's total belligerence and childishness at being told what to do. You can see the look on their faces, as if just waiting for someone to challenge them so they can start a fight. It's like some people actually enjoy flouting the rules and mocking those who are taking them seriously.

And of course, it's never those people who end up dying or getting seriously ill. No, they're probably all asymptomatic, boasting about how they never got sick and coronavirus is all a hoax, while passing it onto vulnerable people. There seem to be a lot of people here who don't understand that it isn't about personal risk. It's about everyone as a whole. Nobody can possibly know for sure they don't have the virus, so the best course of action is to act as if you have it, and don't want anyone else to get it. How is that so hard?!

And yet my local shop in Dublin 8 today had all bar the staff wearing masks when I was in there twice, not to mention the various supermarkets I was in the last week from Dublin to Leitrim to Sligo had a huge cohort of mask wearers. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the non-wearers within stores are majorly outnumbered. So much so I barely saw any that I recall with any clarity/certainty.

No way anyone is "laughing" at mask-wearers at this point.

Maybe not in large supermarkets. But in your local Eurospar? Or the Yard, in Dublin 8 has zero mask wearing. I have a very different experience to you. And in IKEA it’s much less than 50%

In contrast my local store in London has been almost fully mask wearing for a good while. This isn’t about masks.....my only point is that in my experience between London and Dublin, the British are not behaving any worse than the Irish, and the Brit bashing here gets pretty old IMO

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

How do *I* have the problem?

I'm following the guidelines, wearing a mask in all enclosed spaces and generally being considerate and thinking of others, just like the Spanish, Italians etc. are managing to do with minimal fuss and hassle.

There is a significant minority of people here who are belligerent spoiled children who refuse to 'be told what to do' and are putting others in danger.

But do explain why you think I have the issue, when all I'm doing is trying to keep myself and others safe and wishing that everyone would just respect the goddamn rules, which are there for a reason.

Do you have much experience of life in Spain and Italy etc over the last 6 months to be able to tell what exactly is going on there?

From reading these pages regarding Ireland, and your posts re London and my experience in other parts of the UK and speaking directly with friends and family in other parts of UK/Europe / the world its all fairly similar response to the various regulations that have been brought in at different places. You do seem to attract, or notice, far more issues than others do though, but not sure that London or the UK population is really the outlier that you are claiming.

Some people complain, most people comply.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Enzokk wrote: »
    What does arranged marriages have to do with what we were discussing? You can point the finger at me for bashing the Tories (wait until you see my reply below, it is a doozy) but bringing in things like arranged marriages is at best as relevant to the lockdown discussion as Cummings starting this all off and at worst gaslighting of the community from posters.

It has already been put forward in this thread that the high instances in C19 is partly due to racism and lack of integration i.e. that the rest of society (clear inference being the 'white' majority) is racist against BAME and this keeps BAME groups from integrating.

The picture I am painting for you is that is not the case at all and BAME groups will proactively 'stick together' for various reasons to the exclusion of other ethnic groups. Arranged marriages are just one obvious example of how this cycle is perpetuated by BAME.

When you have a closed community with its own language, culture, religion and lack of ‘outside’ integration it becomes difficult to get messages across.

For example, the local Bengali community with poor spoken English and poor literacy levels are not going to be sitting around in Costa reading The Guardian and getting indignant about Dominic Cummings. Getting food on the table is only priority. You simple will not understand this in sitting over in Ireland.

The issue of racism and historical racism is an entirely separate debate.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    Do you have much experience of life in Spain and Italy etc over the last 6 months to be able to tell what exactly is going on there?

From reading these pages regarding Ireland, and your posts re London and my experience in other parts of the UK and speaking directly with friends and family in other parts of UK/Europe / the world its all fairly similar response to the various regulations that have been brought in at different places. You do seem to attract, or notice, far more issues than others do though, but not sure that London or the UK population is really the outlier that you are claiming.

I have extremely close friends in those countries (which I previously lived in) and they have all said that adherence is almost 100% by the locals. Most people in Barcelona are wearing masks even walking down the street. One friend moved back here a couple of weeks ago and was so horrified by how lax everything is that she's gone straight back to Spain.

Here, masks are mandatory on public transport and yet at least 50% of people just don't wear one, and nobody stops them. This is NOT the case in most other countries.

You are always going to get idiots everywhere, but there seems to be quite a high proportion of people here who just refuse to modify their lives in any way and insist on living as if there's not a global pandemic. I don't know is it some kind of coping mechanism or what, total denial, total refusal to acknowledge reality, but it's putting people at risk.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

But you are using a sample size of one (you) and using that to claim that the whole of the UK is not complying.

Just within my city the compliance to various measures is totally different in different areas that I frequent and that has been the same for the whole duration. Even on my local high street the compliance is different from one end to the other, even the time of day that you are out and about can make a difference. Maybe your friends elsewhere are just lucky that they live in a nice area that has high compliance with whatever the local rules are but the place you are hanging out don't follow the rules. It is most definitely not the case that the UK is not mostly doing as they are told though.

The only consistent thing we can take from your posts is that you don't like the area that you live in because they happen to not do what you think they should. Don't apply that view on the rest of the country though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Correct, it's important to balance out some hysteria with some facts. The situation with the virus is actually better than what it was last week according to the KCL data. The latest suggests that the UK R is down to 0.9 and that there are now 1626 daily cases.

There is an element of whack-a-mole going on with targetting responses, but this is going to be the norm for many months.

It is a bit frustrating that the rate of infection has remained so flat, eventually I think changing to an elimination strategy may be required.

The real test for the response to this will be in the autumn when people cannot spend so much time outdoors.

But you are using a sample size of one (you) and using that to claim that the whole of the UK is not complying.

Just within my city the compliance to various measures is totally different in different areas that I frequent and that has been the same for the whole duration. Even on my local high street the compliance is different from one end to the other, even the time of day that you are out and about can make a difference. Maybe your friends elsewhere are just lucky that they live in a nice area that has high compliance with whatever the local rules are but the place you are hanging out don't follow the rules. It is most definitely not the case that the UK is not mostly doing as they are told though.

The only consistent thing we can take from your posts is that you don't like the area that you live in because they happen to not do what you think they should. Don't apply that view on the rest of the country though.

But you're making my own point here.

There should NOT be this much inconsistency. That's the entire problem. You have no idea whether you're going to walk into a shop and find people all in masks, respecting social distancing and being considerate, or walk in and find nobody wearing one and all cramming together. The not knowing is actually the worst part. How can people feel safe to venture out and spend money and help the economy get going when you never know what the situation is going to be? How can you possibly make an informed decision?

There's no ifs or buts here. There should simply not be this much inconsistency. People should be wearing masks in shops and on transport, full stop. That is the law. And this attitude that 'well most people are doing it' or 'people aren't behaving the way you want them to' is part of the problem. Everyone should be complying. People in Spain wouldn't dare take the p1ss because the police would be straight onto them and everyone around them would be disgusted by their selfishness, and tell them so. Here, people are literally just doing whatever the fck they want with no consequences. Yes, most people are complying because they're decent and don't need to be babysat, but what about the significant number of morons? Other countries have police to deal with the non-compliers, we don't.

It's not even that hard to follow the rules. I've just enjoyed a few days off work, wandering around, sitting in parks, getting nice takeout lunches and coffees and spending time with friends outdoors and actually really enjoying myself in the lovely weather. Having to wear a mask to pop into a shop is such a minor inconvenience when you compare the freedom we have now to a few months ago in peak lockdown and yet people are determined to spoil things for everyone just so they don't have to wear a mask or do what they're asked to do.

When there's a pandemic, there should not be any flimsy notion of 'doing what you think is right'. Want to go into a shop or use a train? You wear a mask, or you're fined, and asked to leave. It is actually that simple.

I have just returned from Italy and social distancing in some towns was uncomfortably non existent. In shops it varied, Lidl for example was very strict but local shops mask wearing was around 50%.

An Italian lady had a complete break down at a guy on our flight for not keeping his mask on as well, actually it wasn’t that he wasn’t wearing a mask, it was the arrogant attitude from him when she asked him to put it on. He soon learnt not to mess with an Italian Nonna though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Correct, it's important to balance out some hysteria with some facts. The situation with the virus is actually better than what it was last week according to the KCL data. The latest suggests that the UK R is down to 0.9 and that there are now 1626 daily cases.

There is an element of whack-a-mole going on with targetting responses, but this is going to be the norm for many months.

It is a bit frustrating that the rate of infection has remained so flat, eventually I think changing to an elimination strategy may be required.

The real test for the response to this will be in the autumn when people cannot spend so much time outdoors.
    The time to change to elimination strategy is now, or better, it should not have been discarded ~5 months ago.

There is a real risk in entering Autumn/Winter and looking back at this period with regret for not following global consensus. Just like there is the hint of regret in some places of decisions made earlier in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Dave0301

For what it is worth, the use of face masks has been pretty good from what I have seen in my areain the UK.

It is good to see the usual posters leap to the defence of the British public regarding this issue, but they have nothing to add about the headline PPE news this morning?

50 million unusable masks which form part of a £252 contact awarded to a company in questionable circumstances, along with other PPE contracts.

But you're making my own point here.

Not really.

You claim was that Spain and Italy are 100% compliant whilst the UK is 100% non-compliant whenever you are out and about.

My point is merely that your experience of the UK is very limited and quite clearly wrong as there are places where people comply and place where people don't comply, just like in Ireland as we can tell quite easily from posts on this site. Without frequenting boards.sp or boards.it we can't know what is actually going on in Spain and Italy, but if your sticking by your claim that the UK is totally non-compliant then I'd be inclined to doubt your claim that Spain and Italy are 100% compliant as well.

The UK could do better, but I don't believe for a second that Spain and Italy are doing things perfectly. Just that your friends are living in compliant bubbles where you live in a non-compliant one.

Dave0301 wrote: »
    For what it is worth, the use of face masks has been pretty good from what I have seen in my areain the UK.

It is good to see the usual posters leap to the defence of the British public regarding this issue, but they have nothing to add about the headline PPE news this morning?

50 million unusable masks which form part of a £252 contact awarded to a company in questionable circumstances, along with other PPE contracts.

it would be interesting to see the numbers behind the headlines. On the face of it, this sounds like a seriously dodgy piece of business, but if it was part of a scattergun approach where they spent money with a huge amount of suppliers, purchasing ten times more than they needed, on the basis that fifty percent may be junk then it kind of makes sense.

The media are focused on about £500m of a £5.5bn spend on PPE, but I guess the headlines about £5bn of public money being spent with well known reputable companies, purchasing high quality goods that arrived on time isn't very interesting in today's age of shock and outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

The lockdown rules in the UK had so many exemptions that I was able to carry on with my daily life as normal. I went to my office workplace every day and as I do a lot of running well then that also qualified as my daily exercise.

Unlike the feedback from Ireland there really was no enforcement of the rules over here at all and certainly not in my area. The local parks became a joke with so many people out walking- I mean parks were thronged with families, groups of teenagers out drinking.

I never saw the police over here and yet friends of mine and family back in Ireland were regularly stopped by the Guards. Now most people here are wearing a masks in shops- no idea about public transport as I don't use it.

The English have acted more like the Irish in the disregarding of the rules. In fact the owner of my gym told me not to wear a mask (well I had no intention of it anyway).

The fact is the Tory government really have no appetite for a lockdown or such rules and that filtered through the entire population. They simply do not want it and it was half arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

it would be interesting to see the numbers behind the headlines. On the face of it, this sounds like a seriously dodgy piece of business, but if it was part of a scattergun approach where they spent money with a huge amount of suppliers, purchasing ten times more than they needed, on the basis that fifty percent may be junk then it kind of makes sense.

The media are focused on about £500m of a £5.5bn spend on PPE, but I guess the headlines about £5bn of public money being spent with well known reputable companies, purchasing high quality goods that arrived on time isn't very interesting in today's age of shock and outrage.

I'm sure you're capable of throwing the links in here.

Let's see this great work.

Maybe not in large supermarkets. But in your local Eurospar? Or the Yard, in Dublin 8 has zero mask wearing. I have a very different experience to you. And in IKEA it’s much less than 50%

In contrast my local store in London has been almost fully mask wearing for a good while. This isn’t about masks.....my only point is that in my experience between London and Dublin, the British are not behaving any worse than the Irish, and the Brit bashing here gets pretty old IMO

Creepy post is creepy.

Yes, in the Yard yesterday there was a high adherence level outside of the staff. Now, it's about 3 weeks since I was last there but I was there twice yesterday, but I figured, as I have noticed in other shops that mask use has ramped up so I would not be concerned about how things were a month ago.

The Spar in Kilmainham also has had a large adherence as well. The non-wearers are definitely the minor exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

if it was part of a scattergun approach where they spent money with a huge amount of suppliers, purchasing ten times more than they needed, on the basis that fifty percent may be junk then it kind of makes sense.

:confused: What economic model recommends that public procurement contracts should expect and/or cater for 50% of an order being junk?

It's one thing for a government to invest n billion £$€ in an option-to-purchase regarding a potential vaccine (the money is not entirely wasted if people are kept in employment and/or transferable skills and expertise are built up); but it's pure incompetence to buy physical goods for use in a critical environment, expecting half of them to be unfit for purpose.

I'm sure you're capable of throwing the links in here.

Let's see this great work.

the fact that this was part of a £5.5bn procurement package is stated in all the links above

:confused: What economic model recommends that public procurement contracts should expect and/or cater for 50% of an order being junk?.

what economic model is there for a global pandemic?

• Advertisement

what economic model is there for a global pandemic?

Any one of the "war games" run by various governments and think-tanks working on the basis of this very scenario. All of them highlighted the need to have appropriate stocks of critical materials and equipment; none of them suggested that it would be prudent to pour millions, or billions, into material of which 50% was unusable.

the fact that this was part of a £5.5bn procurement package is stated in all the links above

Shouldn't be hard to be specific if you want to engage and not obfuscate.

Any one of the "war games" run by various governments and think-tanks working on the basis of this very scenario. All of them highlighted the need to have appropriate stocks of critical materials and equipment; none of them suggested that it would be prudent to pour millions, or billions, into material of which 50% was unusable.

When these contracts were awarded, there was a massive problem all over Europe with sub standard PPE, I believe the French healthcare workers were some of the first to highlight this.

Going by one delivery to the HSE where 20% was unusable and 15% not suitable for the intended purpose, it made sense to over order, did it not?

Shouldn't be hard to be specific if you want to engage and not obfuscate.

I don’t want to engage with you actually. The details are all there. If you would care to read the thread and engage on a sensible level then feel free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Just received the letter for the ONS survey to take a sample. Will be interesting to find out what's involved.

I don’t want to engage with you actually. The details are all there. If you would care to read the thread and engage on a sensible level then feel free.

Oh my.

You're really bristling today. You can always tell when you're stuck in a corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,970 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1291300183796584449

When these contracts were awarded, there was a massive problem all over Europe with sub standard PPE, I believe the French healthcare workers were some of the first to highlight this.

Going by one delivery to the HSE where 20% was unusable and 15% not suitable for the intended purpose, it made sense to over order, did it not?

If you're talking about making sense, then it would have made sense to read the pandemic response report and implement it's recommendations. Instead, the UK government (like that in the US) shelved the report and actively made things worse, leaving themselves in a position where they were vulnerable to scams.

Also, from what I've heard here in France, any product that wasn't fit for purpose wasn't paid for. Such a mentality does not seem to exist in the UK any more.

That sort of childishness pretty much sums up 90% of the posts on this thread.

• Advertisement

If you're talking about making sense, then it would have made sense to read the pandemic response report and implement it's recommendations. Instead, the UK government (like that in the US) shelved the report and actively made things worse, leaving themselves in a position where they were vulnerable to scams.

Also, from what I've heard here in France, any product that wasn't fit for purpose wasn't paid for. Such a mentality does not seem to exist in the UK any more.

Without wishing to sound like Bonnie, is there anything to support this?

Advertisement