Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

Limpy wrote: »
    God gets his revenge for good Friday. Blame Munster rugby for challenging him.

Don't forget gay marriage and abortion!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

SteM wrote: »
    I'm assuming that Revenue will get to these companies at some point and the money will be paid back? Should be pretty easy to to figure out which companies are doing this based on tax return I'd hope.

I would hope so. My daughter works in the 'Health & Safety' sector and she says they've never been busier yet she and other employees are on this payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

A locked fool in a restaurant isn't indicative of how people will behave in their quiet local.

Hope you enjoyed your meal btw.

Show me your foolproof rule for differentiating between drinking establishments in which people will behave sensibly and those in which they won't. Show me the same rule that all pubs will be happy with. We were in a smart enough restaurant. Not the place where you'd expect that behavior.

I like the pub. I just think we need to deal with this deadly virus in a sensible way. If we can't expect everyone to be sensible in the pub, they we're going to have to wait longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Simon Harris and Varadker were on an absolute mission to try and end the drinking culture in Ireland over the last 4 years. They have been constantly lobbied by health Quangos and NGOs to go after alcohol. NPHET is run pretty much entirely by health professionals who no doubtedly have links or are apart of the anti-alcohol lobby. This is their golden ticket.

It is 100% an anti-alcohol thing.

I'm pretty sure it's an anti-deadly virus thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Did we do this backwards maybe? Should we have shut the off licenses and kept the pubs open? If 3/4 of new cases are people under 25 surely a lot of that must be down to house parties. With drink being more expensive in the pub and staff/management to enfore distancing maybe people would've had less exposure to the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

hmmm wrote: »
    The idea that they are doing this because some people don't like drink and see an opportunity is clearly nonsense, and worse on you if you really think this.

The government are taking their advice from the people in public health who are dealing with mass idiocy like house parties in Killarney where tens of people are getting infected. They can see what way the numbers are looking, and it's not looking good. So we need to get some control back before we can move ahead with further reopenings.

Wear a mask. Stop going to house parties. Physical distancing from other people. That's what will get the pubs opened.

So like MM you agree the problem is with the house parties.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

mossie wrote: »
    Few of those countries have the same pub culture we do though.

The issue isn't pub culture. Social hubs of any kind shouldn't have been re-opened for accommodating customers so soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

almostover wrote: »
    Would you be willing to admit that we have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol in this country?

The obsession with alcohol is in the critique of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

The idea that they are doing this because some people don't like drink and see an opportunity is clearly nonsense, and worse on you if you really think this.

The government are taking their advice from the people in public health who are dealing with mass idiocy like house parties in Killarney where tens of people are getting infected. They can see what way the numbers are looking, and it's not looking good. So we need to get some control back before we can move ahead with further reopenings.

Wear a mask. Stop going to house parties. Physical distancing from other people. That's what will get the pubs opened.

This is the nub of it.

Why not just shut down areas of the country that have high cases. Like Dublin. Don't let people in or out for a month.

The house party you refer to was a bunch that travelled from Dublin to Killarney when one of them was awaiting the results of his Covid test. (That a-hole should be locked up by the way - what he did was way worse that those people 'coughing' on Guards back a few months ago).

Kerry was Covid free for 30 days in a row around May/early June.

Is there a case for allowing everything to open in unaffected areas and restrict travel to/from areas where there are significant numbers?

But then again that wouldn't suit the people in NPHET cos most of them probably live and work in the area with the significant numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

You can't drink a pint if you're wearing a mask.

There was no problem if you didn't wear a mask in shops at the peak of the pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

BPKS wrote: »
    Is there a case for allowing everything to open in unaffected areas and restrict travel to/from areas where there are significant numbers?

But then again that wouldn't suit the people in NPHET cos most of them probably live and work in the area with the significant numbers.
    I'm not sure that works in this country, we are too small and people commute over long distances. Plus we have way too many back roads to get around any restrictions.

Besides, Sligo was the epicenter of outbreaks in recent weeks, it can pop up anywhere in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Akabusi

The reality is that most small rural pubs are just not suited to social distancing and would not have good circulation of air. Also the idea that a pub is okay just because it can serve food is not right either. Each pub should have underwent a suitability to open inspection, where they show an inspector the plans they have and the mods they made to keep their patrons safe. This thing is going to be with us for the foreseeable so its time to be proactive and learn to live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

boombang wrote: »
    Show me your foolproof rule for differentiating between drinking establishments in which people will behave sensibly and those in which they won't. Show me the same rule that all pubs will be happy with. We were in a smart enough restaurant. Not the place where you'd expect that behavior.

I like the pub. I just think we need to deal with this deadly virus in a sensible way. If we can't expect everyone to be sensible in the pub, they we're going to have to wait longer.

In that case, all restaurants and pubs must close unless you think you have the game won by where you frequent?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,085 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

This is the nub of it.

Why not just shut down areas of the country that have high cases. Like Dublin. Don't let people in or out for a month.

The house party you refer to was a bunch that travelled from Dublin to Killarney when one of them was awaiting the results of his Covid test. (That a-hole should be locked up by the way - what he did was way worse that those people 'coughing' on Guards back a few months ago).

100%

Regionalise it and micro manage it.
    Lockdown the areas of high incidents and high risk behaviour.

Blanket policies for the whole country at this stage is brutalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,135 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This is the nub of it.

Yeah this "one size fits all" approach isn't fair on the country as a whole.

If counties are doing well and have no new cases in weeks, they should get relaxations in front of places that can't control themselves.

Like NSW in Australia......if one area offends, shut it down.

No reason to shut a small rural pub which is doing its best just because there were people partying in Dame Street with pop-up DJs.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

This is my 4th pint of the evening, post-work, with dinner ingested and contact details provided. It is shocking that I couldn't do the same thing without the food for another few weeks but I can have gaff parties with less accountability to my heart's content.

You couldn't go without no?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

If part of the idea is to get the number of cases down to zero or single figures so the schools can go back..and pushing the re-opening of pubs until August 10th means if there's any "Spike" in cases it will come just before the schools reopen meaning a large number of parents could be infected and will have to isolate with the kids also and not send them back to school...
    So can anyone see the pub opening date being kicked down the line even further?

NIMAN wrote: »
    If counties are doing well and have no new cases in weeks, they should get relaxations in front of places that can't control themselves.
    And how do you stop everyone heading to (say) Galway if the pubs in Limerick are closed?

Or what happens people who work in Cork who commute from Kerry?

Or a farmer who has a field on one side of the county border?

What about people who live close to the border of their county, and they have friends/family/shops/hospitals etc on the other side?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

And how do you stop everyone heading to (say) Galway if the pubs in Limerick are closed?

Or what happens people who work in Cork who commute from Kerry?

Or a farmer who has a field on one side of the county border?

What about people who live close to the border of their county, and they have friends/family/shops/hospitals etc on the other side?

The Gardaí set up road blocks. Stop every car. Turn people back if they don't have good reason to be crossing a county border.

If you are commuting you get a letter from your employer (remember work at home where possible still applies).

There was no restriction on farmers moving around during the lockdown as they were classified essential workers.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Lockdown the areas of high incidents and high risk behaviour.
    So if there's a small cluster the other side of Dublin from me, in one electoral district, due to some idiots having a house party - something you won't be able to stop - you lock down the entire county? It needs to be a nuanced approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Very little of this is enforceable, that's not the type of country we are. It's your personal decision whether to be part of the national effort or not.

Lots of people are taking it seriously. A minority of loud and mostly obnoxious people are not.

call me obnoxious then.

We have opened up the country a bit and have gone from about 350 active cases to 571 (a small increase as would be expected) - with only 9 people in serious condition. NINE!!
    We have a population of 5million.
    The numbers are so low. These restrictions are not justified by any stretch. And there is no scientific benefit to wearing a mask . None.

It's amazing the number of people posting here who believe in the man on the telly . Micheal Martin whom most of you wouldn't piss now yet now take his word as gospel.

How easy have most of you just given up your basic freedoms. How easy are you being controlled ? Think about how quickly you have lost all that and think of the gombeens who are cheering it along.
    It's tragic that we are being effected by this climate of fear.

If restrictions work , then they'd close the boarder and allow us operate within the country in relative isolation. But they don't do that. Why?
    Cos they don't know what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The gombeens are those who are spreading the virus, not those trying to stop it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I understand the meal rules but they are nonsense. If I want go tomorrow sit down for 105 or whatever ridiculous number it is now have a few pints and go home,. I shouldn't have to eat overpiced food too

But then you don't understand it.

The 105 minutes was the time limit imposed to allow people to have a meal in a restaurant and then pubs began to operate as restaurants within that time frame
    The €9 was just a number picked to clarify what would count as a meal.

So when you now go to a pub you're not technically going to a pub but a restaurant and therefore it's for a meal and not pints.

So "pubs" are not open on the brought forward date of July 20th and now reverts back to the scheduled August date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭robbiezero

ablelocks wrote: »
    it's a good thing - from what I've seen, social distancing is not happening effectively in shops or restaurants. Not at the beach or on the streets. Not at all in sports training I'm involved in or by supporters at the challenge matches I've been to. There isn't a hope in hell that a pub can operate and not be a focal point for COVID 19.

Think about it - the people who are getting out and about as it is aren't doing what they're supposed to do.

If the pub's reopened on Monday, it would coincide with the restart of most GAA (and other sports) matches. So on the weekend of the 25th, people will go to a match, congregate in the ground, roar and shout and then go to the pub!

If Covid could talk this is what it would ask for - a perfect opportunity to reset and tear into us again.

Look at the evidence from around the world in countries that have eased their lockdowns.

I love going to the pub (or used to) but this is just asking for our hospitals to be overloaded again and all our efforts over the last 5 months will have been in vain.

So what changes in 3 weeks time?

paw patrol wrote: »
    How easy have most of you just given up your basic freedoms. How easy are you being controlled ? Think about how quickly you have lost all that and think of the gombeens who are cheering it along.

If restrictions work , then they'd close the boarder and allow us operate within the country in relative isolation. But they don't do that. Why?
    We are not going to lock down entire countries, spending a fortune and with huge social cost, just so you can get a pint. Neither are we going to allow this virus to run rampant across the country, just because a small group of people believe it is something trivial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

paw patrol wrote: »
    call me obnoxious then.

We have opened up the country a bit and have gone from about 350 active cases to 571 (a small increase as would be expected) - with only 9 people in serious condition. NINE!!
    We have a population of 5million.
    The numbers are so low. These restrictions are not justified by any stretch. And there is no scientific benefit to wearing a mask . None.

It's amazing the number of people posting here who believe in the man on the telly . Micheal Martin whom most of you wouldn't piss now yet now take his word as gospel.

Why don't you give us your opinions on 5G while you're at it. I'm sure you have all the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭firemansam4

robbiezero wrote:

It gives them time to see how things develop in the next 3 weeks.
    If cases continue to rise I think pubs will be staying closed for a lot longer than 3 weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

it's amazing how a lot of our social problems come down to drink.

I can empathize with people who love a social few pints and are able to adhere to the suggested guidelines.

But it's the same jocks and gannets who ruin it for everyone.

A man and a woman are entitled to a few sociable drinks.

Just remember it's the gombeens who ruined it for everyone,not covid or the political class.

But the plebs who lack personal responsibility and cannot enjoy a drink without slobbering and being idiot's.

For the sake of a year or two,why can't people behave themselves ?

It's not hard to have control over one's behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

robbiezero wrote: »

More time to suppress the virus and bring the R number down which has been rising over the last couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭almostover

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    If part of the idea is to get the number of cases down to zero or single figures so the schools can go back..and pushing the re-opening of pubs until August 10th means if there's any "Spike" in cases it will come just before the schools reopen meaning a large number of parents could be infected and will have to isolate with the kids also and not send them back to school...
    So can anyone see the pub opening date being kicked down the line even further?

I cant see it happening in 2020 tbh, back to school will be prioritised and rightly so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement