Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The maths of it all and what it means to Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,020 ✭✭✭Ficheall

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I posted this late last night. Now that there's more people online, any feedback would be great

Ta
    People don't know the mortality rate. Anyone who tells you they know the numbers you're asking for is lying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Wave2, circa November, is an great unknown.

I've yet to see anyone on here provide a link that backs up this talk that another wave this Winter is a given

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

I've yet to see anyone on here provide a link that backs up this talk that another wave this Winter is a given

the HSE consultant that posts on here says so.

And he has no expertise in this area at all yet some take his word as gospel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Ireland's case fatality rate from Covid-19 is now almost 4%, the latest data shows.
    Some data suggest the uk could be triple this, around 12% which is nothing to be sneezed at.

The data published in the Health Protection Surveillance Centre's epidemiology report is based on figures up to midnight on Friday 10 April.
    It shows that of the 8,496 confirmed cases of the virus, 329 people had died, giving a case fatality rate of 3.9%.

Any idea that this WuFlu is <1% (as suggested above) is bonkers.
    When you consider the nature of the epicurve, demand surges, spread within nursing homes, lack of PPE, lack of medical staff (again their own high infection rates, even with some PPE).
    Fact is demand vs supply means that many old folks, comprimised folks will all be labelled as 'DNR' if there is a queue of younger folks waiting for the 10-14 day stint on machines.

Wave2, circa November, is an great unknown.

Not as bonkers as your claim that 5% of the worlds population would be dead by the end of the summer from this. 350 million people.

You have no clue about how any of these numbers work and you're still ignoring the fact that there are far more non confirmed infections than confirmed ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Nobody said it's a given, but a reasonable expectation, for WuFlu to merge with the rest of the seasonal sneezes (Inf A/B, even remnants of ye olde H1N1 still kicking about), even a bit of Norovirus, might fill hospitals even before any (potential) wave 2.

If Ire's 4% fatality rate isn't valid, then maybe someone should tell them (Health Protection Surveillance Centre's {epidemiology report}) not to publish, and go by casual armchair guesstimates as better indicators instead https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0413/1130250-case-fatality-rate/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Blut2 wrote: »
    The reason Ireland's fatality rate is so high is because our testing rate is so low. We're not testing huge numbers of people who have the virus, which makes our infection rate look significantly lower than it is, which means the fatality rate looks far higher than it is in reality.

In any closed environment, ie the German study above, or in Iceland, or in the Italian town of Vo, where extensive population testing was actually carried out the fatality rate was under 0.5%.

Its not even remotely debatable which figure is more accurate if you have any understanding of basic statistical analysis.

Honestly I just don't know anymore, these studies are placed in front of them but they don't want to listen and keep screaming hysterical.

These studies are far more reliable than nations just testing those that turn up to hospital or have to meet a high symptom threshold which makes testing not worth a feck at this stage bar confirming it for a hospital patient so they can be approved certain treatments

It's just a lot of people love the misery of it all I think. It's not even playing it down either, it's still deadly for a lot at 3.7 times more potent than any flu but it's a big difference to the 1 to 6% rate some people have been panicking over

Hopefully more and more studies will continue to show the same. Then again don't expect the media to carry it as it will reduce the panicked clicks.

trapp wrote: »
    the HSE consultant that posts on here says so.

And he has no expertise in this area at all yet some take his word as gospel.

I've seen many more than him saying it and in other places than Boards too.

As said, I'd also listen to him before many others on here on the subject

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

BloodBath wrote: »
    the fact that there are far more non confirmed infections than confirmed ones.
    So any sources of fact for this so called fact, or is a bit of 'speculation'?

The summer isn't over yet (has'nt even started yet). You have to admit the response has been dramtic to curb the spread, nearly 2bn people on an effective lockdown.

Q2 for many countries is going to be a negative 20/30% GDP, if economies hadn't of been closed the results would have been nasty indeed.
    Many CMO's predicted 60-80% total populaiton infection at start of year, it's now looking less that that due to severe measures.

Wave2 for end of 2020 is a great unknown (without a time machine) it may pass by, or it could be worse, mutation is another risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Nobody said it's a given, but a reasonable expectation, for WuFlu to merge with the rest of the seasonal sneezes (Inf A/B, even remnants of ye olde H1N1 still kicking about), even a bit of Norovirus, might fill hospitals even before any (potential) wave 2.

If Ire's 4% fatality rate isn't valid, then maybe someone should tell them (Health Protection Surveillance Centre's {epidemiology report}) not to publish, and go by casual armchair guesstimates as better indicators instead https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0413/1130250-case-fatality-rate/

It's a numbers game. They publish only what they have available.
    Since the other papers from Germany and Italy still need peer review, they can't put that into an official statement.
    If Ireland would have the capacity to test like Iceland, we'd be seeing similar CFR rates as them. The more you test, the more you find the milder cases or even asymptomatic ones. The Iceland data set also shows that about 50% of cases do not have any symptoms at all.

In Ireland you need a minimum of 2 symptoms to qualify for a referral to a test centre. That skews our CFR rate to be higher, since that is calculated from only confirmed tests.
    The IFR value is far more valuable when setting out policy decisions and capacity requirements in hospitals, as it counts all infected people.

Italy during their peak had to resort to hospital admission tests only, so heir CFR looks catastrophic, as they missed all of the mild and asymptomatic cases.
    Their IFR is most likely above the 0.37% indicated by the German study and Iceland's data since they did run out of ICU capacity. How much exactly? Impossible to tell right now, only wide scale antibody testing will reveal that number.

You have to remember too a population with nearly 1 in every 4 over 65 is gonna really fcuk you with this too.

That's 15m over 65 like :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

In any closed environment, ie the German study above, or in Iceland, or in the Italian town of Vo, where extensive population testing was actually carried out the fatality rate was under 0.5%. .

Weeks ago, I was listening to a Sam Harris podcast. He was quite pessimistic in his outlook, which at the time seemed quite sensible, with the outbreak in China.

But his guest was quite clear headed. Even at that point, he made the very sensible point that the only country with extensive testing (S. Korea) was showing a mortality rate of 0.6%. That's still quite significant but he made the very important point that this was the upper bound. As time passes, this seems to be even more accurate.

The fact that this podcast was available back in March 11 when Ireland still had less than 40 cases is damning. For policy makers to know this fact, and that we ended up with the panic and ignorance over a whole month later, with another month of lockdown to go, is damning. It doesn't bode well for the future really

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Weeks ago, I was listening to a Sam Harris podcast. He was quite pessimistic in his outlook, which at the time seemed quite sensible, with the outbreak in China.

But his guest was quite clear headed. Even at that point, he made the very sensible point that the only country with extensive testing (S. Korea) was showing a mortality rate of 0.6%. That's still quite significant but he made the very important point that this was the upper bound. As time passes, this seems to be even more accurate.

The fact that this podcast was available back in March 11 when Ireland still had less than 40 cases is damning. For policy makers to know this fact, and that we ended up with the panic and ignorance over a whole month later, with another month of lockdown to go, is damning. It doesn't bode well for the future really

Honestly I blame the media bud. This is a goldmine for them to generate clicks. The daily mail is raking it in. They are claiming fit and healthy teenagers are dropping dead from it only to be contradicted that they were known to have cancer amongst others and never correct it.

I will tell you if in the morning a 100% vaccine was at your GP, that evening they'd be showing flu cases with "Corona virus second wave begins?"

In fact I remember the Daily Mail for 2 weeks whipped up the population into demanding a lockdown only to then start whipping up a frenzy last week about the dangers of lockdown and when will lockdown be lifted

• Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Honestly I just don't know anymore, these studies are placed in front of them but they don't want to listen and keep screaming hysterical.

And he's ignoring it again now.

Why can people not get that the fatality rate in UK and Italy is ridiculously high because they only test people who require immediate hospitalisation. Even people with severe symptoms who don't quite meet the hospitalisation threshold are not tested. There is no contact tracing.

Our Fatality rate is a lot lower because we do a fair amount of community testing (but not enough) and contact tracing so we uncover more positive cases.

The real fatality rate is about 0.37 as proven by various extensive studies.Therefore the reality is that we have had at least 10 times the amount of people infected already i.e. 100,000+

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Diarmuid wrote: »

Obviously testing impacts the mortality rate. But it does so in more ways than one. Where there is moderate under testing then this can push the mortality rate high in comparison. But you can also get to a point of severe under testing like in the UK (or Sweden it would seem) where they are simply not testing anyone in the community and have been quite strict about even testing people in hospitals which makes the mortality rate half of what it is. It's difficult to know which of these forces is greater. I.e. is the mortality rate being falsely raised due to not enough asymptomatic people being included through testing or it being falsely lowered through thousands of deaths simply not being counted.

The testing also directly impacts mortality. Countries like South Korea and Germany tested extensively and followed this up with contract tracing and isolation. This helps to reduce the proliferation of the virus and protect vulnerable people so that health services are not overwhelmed like they were in parts of Italy and Spain.

From reading some of the posts above, I'm getting the sense that looking at the ideal study from Germany people are drawing the conclusion that the mortality rate from the virus would be 0.5% even if it was left completely unchecked. This seems to discount what happens when health services are overwhelmed with sick patients. And also the rate at which the virus devastates care homes and other long-term nursing facilities.

In Canada, for example, where they have done a pretty good job overall, there are numerous care homes where half the residents have died, including more than 26 in one in Ontario and 30 in a single facility in Québec and similar numbers in a facility in Vancouver. We're seeing the same in the UK with anywhere from 10 to 20+ people dying in multiple facilities.

I would submit that it is disingenuous to say that if the virus were left unchecked the mortality rate will only be .5% and that therefore all of the mitigation and the alarm bells that have been sounded by models from epidemiologists are panic inducing hysteria. In fact, what we have seen in Italy, Spain, France, the UK and New York seems to suggest that these epidemiological models would bear out and result in a very high number of fatalities if strong action had not been taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Blut2

Memnoch wrote:
    From reading some of the posts above, I'm getting the sense that looking at the ideal study from Germany people are drawing the conclusion that the mortality rate from the virus would be 0.5% even if it was left completely unchecked. This seems to discount what happens when health services are overwhelmed with sick patients. And also the rate at which the virus devastates care homes and other long-term nursing facilities.

In Canada, for example, where they have done a pretty good job overall, there are numerous care homes where half the residents have died, including more than 26 in one in Ontario and 30 in a single facility in Québec and similar numbers in a facility in Vancouver. We're seeing the same in the UK with anywhere from 10 to 20+ people dying in multiple facilities.

I would submit that it is disingenuous to say that if the virus were left unchecked the mortality rate will only be .5% and that therefore all of the mitigation and the alarm bells that have been sounded by models from epidemiologists are panic inducing hysteria. In fact, what we have seen in Italy, Spain, France, the UK and New York seems to suggest that these epidemiological models would bear out and result in a very high number of fatalities if strong action had not been taken.

For care home deaths, I don't think anyone is doubting the lethality of this for people aged 80+ with underlying health conditions. The mortality figure even in that age range thats usually accepted is approx 15% at the moment though, so individual cases of 90% are rather pointless to bring up as they're entirely anecdotal.

In regards to not knowing how high deaths would be had the virus been unchecked, luckily we have an ongoing case study of a country that implemented only social distancing, and no economic lockdown, in Sweden. Their deaths per million are entirely middle of the range despite this:

[img][/img]https://i.imgur.com/FSYgQJx.jpg

And this is their unemployment rate vs Norways in the last month, which shows a rather more clear cut effect of economic lockdown vs no lockdown:

[img][/img]https://i.imgur.com/JdbV1ds.png

Despite that I am of the opinion that implementing a quarantine here in Ireland for a month was the right thing to do - it at the very least bought the health service time to get more ventilators, PPE equipment, additional staff etc.

But as more and more studies come out showing how much less lethal the virus is than was previously thought, and how its just not effecting under 40s in any number, and as more and more economic damage occurs, questions really need to be asked about why we aren't beginning to lift our lockdown the way Denmark, Austria, Czech Republic etc all are already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

For care home deaths, I don't think anyone is doubting the lethality of this for people aged 80+ with underlying health conditions. The mortality figure even in that age range thats usually accepted is approx 15% at the moment though, so individual cases of 90% are rather pointless to bring up as they're entirely anecdotal.

In regards to not knowing how high deaths would be had the virus been unchecked, luckily we have an ongoing case study of a country that implemented only social distancing, and no economic lockdown, in Sweden. Their deaths per million are entirely middle of the range despite this:

[img][/img]https://i.imgur.com/FSYgQJx.jpg

And this is their unemployment rate vs Norways in the last month, which shows a rather more clear cut effect of economic lockdown vs no lockdown:

[img][/img]https://i.imgur.com/JdbV1ds.png

Despite that I am of the opinion that implementing a quarantine here in Ireland for a month was the right thing to do - it at the very least bought the health service time to get more ventilators, PPE equipment, additional staff etc.

But as more and more studies come out showing how much less lethal the virus is than was previously thought, and how its just not effecting under 40s in any number, and as more and more economic damage occurs, questions really need to be asked about why we aren't beginning to lift our lockdown the way Denmark, Austria, Czech Republic etc all are already.

Sweden would certainly have made an interesting case study. Unfortunately, their numbers cannot be relied on. Their total number of tests is very low and has remained static at 54,700 for four days now. Their death rate had been rapidly climbing till about four or five days ago at which point they seemed to have stopped testing or at least not reporting those statistics. They are also not testing in the community and are testing at even a lower rate than the United Kingdom. If you compare them to Norway their testing rate and mortality rate, despite the poor testing, is far from ideal.

Therefore, it is not possible to draw any conclusions about the efficacy of their methodology.

Some of the countries such as Austria that are beginning to lift their lockdowns were ahead of us in the game and shut down sooner. It seems that implementing harsher measures earlier combined with strong testing and tracing allows a speedier return to normalcy. Although the response in Ireland has not exactly been perfect, we have managed to contain things reasonably well and the government have earned my trust at least in the guidance they are receiving and following thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Are there concrete reports on whether you can get infected by the coronavirus twice? It would make you wonder if people who have already tested positive and recovered could be considered for returning to work?

The same could go for asking under 40s who don’t live with anyone high-risk or who aren’t classed as high-risk if they’d be interested in returning to work. Depending on the company, it may be possible as not all staff will be able to return, leaving more space in the office to implement social distancing.

Here’s another interesting one in the State by State breakdown of American statistics
    https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/01/tracking-coronavirus-u-s-data/

If you go the stats on US military (listed as it’s own State) it has 15 deaths from over 4500 cases, a death rate of 0.33%

Not sure if the military get tested more than other sections of society, I would assume so?

Here’s another interesting one in the State by State breakdown of American statistics
    https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/01/tracking-coronavirus-u-s-data/

If you go the stats on US military (listed as it’s own State) it has 15 deaths from over 4500 cases, a death rate of 0.33%

Not sure if the military get tested more than other sections of society, I would assume so?
    • Not a big enough sample group, and
    • 4,500 fit army feckers aren't reliable at all to any country's general population

• 4,500 fit army feckers aren't reliable at all to any country's general population

When the stats are broken down into the constituent parts only 2 ‘fit
    army feckers’ of 2500 have died, less than 0.1%
    The others are presumably retired military.

• Advertisement

Honestly Norman I don't know. After seeing the absolute geniuses in the other thread calculating their 21% death rate, I don't have the strength anymore

Honestly Norman I don't know. After seeing the absolute geniuses in the other thread calculating their 21% death rate, I don't have the strength anymore

I get the feeling we are being trolled?

I get the feeling we are being trolled?

Unfortunately not. Just some very ignorant people out there. A scary large amount, this crisis has opened my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I know this data isn't clean as there's duplicates in it when someone is listed twice but the death rate from the 1st to the 14th of April seems up a lot more on previous years for the same period. You could make an assumption the daily death rate is nearly double of what's been reported.

Deaths 1-14th of April year on year:
    2010 - 1102
    2011 - 1070
    2012 - 1047
    2013 - 1303
    2014 - 1376
    2015 - 1555
    2016 - 1604
    2017 - 1423
    2018 - 1647
    2019 - 1607
    2020 - 2200

Source RIP.ie

There's marked increase from the start of the last decade, that could be due to an aging population, I'm not sure why the numbers are ever increasing but it'd obvious were way higher than normal at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

the US army are not "fit"

from 2018
    The study, featuring roughly 18,000 randomly selected participants across each of the service branches, showed that almost 66 percent of service members are considered to be either overweight or obese, based on the military’s use of body mass index as a measuring standard.

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2018/10/03/a-staggering-number-of-troops-are-fat-and-tired-report-says/

2019 - 22% of sailors are obese (paywall)
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/04/us/military-obesity.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

I know this data isn't clean as there's duplicates in it when someone is listed twice but the death rate from the 1st to the 14th of April seems up a lot more on previous years for the same period. You could make an assumption the daily death rate is nearly double of what's been reported.

Deaths 1-14th of April year on year:
    2010 - 1102
    2011 - 1070
    2012 - 1047
    2013 - 1303
    2014 - 1376
    2015 - 1555
    2016 - 1604
    2017 - 1423
    2018 - 1647
    2019 - 1607
    2020 - 2200

Source RIP.ie

There's marked increase from the start of the last decade, that could be due to an aging population, I'm not sure why the numbers are ever increasing but it'd obvious were way higher than normal at the moment.

Just an idea but could the apparent rise in numbers also be influenced by the rise of usage of the website, people now see it as a method used to notify people of a death whereas 10years ago, people may have viewed the traditional newspaper as the method to use.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    It sure won't, but it could be lethal if you turned your back on it. Look what happened in Bergamo. Dublin is lucky insofar as it saw it coming, but we are not out of the woods yet, it is bad in the city centre.

The 10,000 deaths in the UK are small when you consider the London underground and other transport networks they have. This still leaves me head scratching about northern Italy. I am convinced that it was spreading there in December and they just didn't know it.

I think from looking at the data, Dublin is Ireland's Lombardy, just at a less severe scale. When you look at Italy, regions such as Lazio and Sicily, which have a similar population to Ireland actually have a lower case rate and death rate than we do, and its falling rapidly. Then when we look at Ireland, the east, dominated by Dublin has the large bulk of cases and deaths. The major factor in this appears to be the development of a large outbreak prior to lockdown. This happened in Lombardy, Madrid, London, New York and to a lesser extent in Dublin. This, I believe, gives an insight into why some countries fared much better - no major outbreak occurred prior to lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just an idea but could the apparent rise in numbers also be influenced by the rise of usage of the website, people now see it as a method used to notify people of a death whereas 10years ago, people may have viewed the traditional newspaper as the method to use.

You could make that assumption, I'd say it'd be safe to draw an average from 2015 on though..it would still put us 600 deaths above average for the same 2 week period on previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Running through the numbers, they way they are trending shows an estimate of 28 (24 to 34) deaths today, and 530 (510 to 570) new cases. This is just a best guess going off the previous numbers, and not counting for the cases from the lab in Germany. Numbers in brackets give the wider estimate of potential numbers

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

See stat bank link for deaths from CSO from 2005 - 2017. I simply have not got the time today sorry. But I think anyone interested is better using these than the RIP website, it is too new and was not being used 10 years ago.

https://statbank.cso.ie/px/pxeirestat/Statire/SelectVarVal/Define.asp?maintable=VSD01&PLanguage=0

You will probably need to design an excel add in to access all files.

Good luck.

Advertisement