Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Hill Climb? Cruagh - March 30th

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

el tonto wrote: »
    Ryan, I presume we need a few volunteers for time keeping?
    Assuming I am driving by then , and it's on the 30th (I won't be back on the bike), I'll do some timekeeping

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I reckon that would be perfect, since it would mean less waiting around to make sure the time keeper got up to the top on time. What do you think Ryan?

Of course, if we wanted to give Ryan some real competition you could just race him on your motorbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Could Science-Boy please fill me in on whether the brief flat section before the viewing point plus the relatively gentle and exposed section at the end would justify a pair of aerobars (weight 400-600g.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Having something to lean on would justify them for me. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Hill? Swords? Where?...

It was at Ardgillan last year.

• Advertisement

el tonto wrote: »
    I reckon that would be perfect, since it would mean less waiting around to make sure the time keeper got up to the top on time. What do you think Ryan?

Of course, if we wanted to give Ryan some real competition you could just race him on your motorbike.

Self timed is what we did the first time out. What happened out in Three Rock?

Wasn't at Three Rock but we had a timekeeper for the 25TT. It is much better to do it with an official timekeeper IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

In Three Rock, we had a sheet at the bottom with names and start times. We set outselves off based on the time on my GPS. Mel was at the top of the climb taking names when people got to the top and used her synced GPS. When I got home, I did a little math and popped the times up.

Two volunteers would be great - one at the top, one at the bottom. Makes it a whole lot simpler :)

A little closer, I'll post this on some of the MTB forums to get some of them out too...

GPS time is taken direct from the satellites so easy to do between any two people with a GPS, no particular syncing even required.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

blorg wrote: »
    Could Science-Boy please fill me in on whether the brief flat section before the viewing point plus the relatively gentle and exposed section at the end would justify a pair of aerobars (weight 400-600g.)

You'll be averaging over 20kph, so probably yes, but I'm not taking any.

Losing to mountain bikers is bad enough without doing it on aerobars.

• Advertisement

GPS time is taken direct from the satellites so easy to do between any two people with a GPS, no particular syncing even required.

exactly - that is how we synced them :)

Lumen wrote: »
    You'll be averaging over 20kph, so probably yes, but I'm not taking any.

Losing to mountain bikers is bad enough without doing it on aerobars.

My average speed for the last 4.5 minutes when I did a 16 minute climb was 27.5kmph (397W avg). Aerobars - pah!

Aero-bars are for girls*. There, I said it.

* does not apply to a flat TT

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SACH Central

How about changing bikes en-route altogether, a la Jeff Bernard in the '87 TdF Ventoux TT :pac:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Raam wrote: »
    It was at Ardgillan last year.
    They got lost?
    There was only two left turns involved on that route, and I understand you did the "official" Mapmyride!
    Anyway, this year's is even simpler - shorter, sharper and straighter (no turns at all). In fact, some of your team-mates are out practising the hill at this very moment - 5 climbs every week, so you may have a bit more competition this year

Shaungil is one of them. I think I can have a few more pies before he is a danger :P

Shaungil is one of them. I think I can have a few more pies before he is a danger :P
    I can see where you're coming from there

Some of those lads are very keen though

You will have to PM me with names.

You will have to PM me with names.
    Some of them are long-time lurkers on here - I dare not reveal their identities :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

What the hell, put me down too, even though I've been off the bike for decades.
    Just started back commuting last thursday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Im in for sure, thats how i finish off my training rides its on my door step :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Aero-bars are for girls*.

Aint no girls gettin my aero-bars, they're for me...

It's not Terry's.. it's mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Achtung, in Germany. Disappointing, it would have been nice to trounce Lumen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Have we decided on a date for this then?

Did a recky today. I've done that climb loads of times before, but never really with enough attention to know how I'd pace it if I was trying to set a time. I wasn't giving it a full-on TT effort (I thought that would make the rest of my spin a bit unpleasant) but I wasn't going easy either.

It's a right bastard to pace I reckon. Very tempting to go too hard on the steep bit at the bottom and the headwind on the section after the viewpoint makes it very hard to pick up any momentum. I'm pretty sure the wind was stiff enough to justify aerobars (no science, just a hunch). I won't bother with them though, but I think some of the more powerful, though heavier, riders could recoup losses near the top.

No, Lumen, you cannot know the time I set today, but be assured, if it were something to boast about I would do so.

Passed kenmc on it - sorry for not hanging around, I was trying to get a respectable time. Didn't happen. Good to see you back on the bike though :).

niceonetom wrote: »
    Have we decided on a date for this then?

The one in the thread title? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Might be up for this, if not then I will definitely volunteer to do time keeping.

Oh, where exactly is it? I see from Ryan's second attachment the route itself, but where in Dublin is it exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

niceonetom wrote: »
    Passed kenmc on it - sorry for not hanging around, I was trying to get a respectable time.

Ouch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Might be up for this, if not then I will definitely volunteer to do time keeping.

Oh, where exactly is it? I see from Ryan's second attachment the route itself, but where in Dublin is it exactly?

FFS Dirk. It says it in the title. Cruagh.
    You have doubtless been up this dozens of time.
    You are actually from Dublin. Of all boardsies you are one of those who lives close to this climb.

Unlike NOT I have nothing to fear from posting my time.
    28min today. Sheltered till upper lever. Then a savage headwind forlast 2km.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Lumen wrote: »
    Ouch!
    Well I WAS nursing my other half up to Sally for her first time, so I was taking it dead handy anyways

• Advertisement

ROK ON wrote: »
    FFS Dirk. It says it in the title. Cruagh.
    You have doubtless been up this dozens of time.
    You are actually from Dublin. Of all boardsies you are one of those who lives close to this climb.

Meow! ;)

Advertisement