Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Another Hill Climb? Cruagh - March 30th

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I am presuming that given that this has not been officiall cancelled that it is still going ahead.
    If anyone wants to join me heading out from Dundrum just to warm up the I will probably head up Barnaculla and down Pinefirest Road.

Obviously if no one shows I win by defaultm anyway if I do win I will post it. If I do t I won't offend certain people by posting and will stay schtum.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Dude, right now it's lashing snow. I'm leaving my bike at home today.

el tonto wrote: »
    Dude, right now it's lashing snow. I'm leaving my bike at home today.
    I cycled in 90mins ago.
    Wasn't that bad.
    Throw on a pair of leggings, gloves, hat and a base layer and you'll be grand.
    With RAAM and Blorg out this is my chance at glory. I wouldn't miss it for all the tea in China.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

ROK ON wrote: »
    I am presuming that given that this has not been officiall cancelled that it is still going ahead.

Obviously if no one shows I win by defaultm anyway if I do win I will post it.
    you didn't vote to keep it today, and you will not have an "official" timekeeper, as I'll now be watching the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

I cycled in 90mins ago.
    Wasn't that bad.
    With RAAM and Blorg out this is my chance at glory. I wouldn't miss it for all the tea in China.

We were meant to head down to 3 rock for a few ascents this morning before work, as we usually do on a Tuesday. Got just past Dundrum and had to turn back - couldn't feel my feet or fingers, even with full winter gear, and was having difficulty seeing in the blizzard (seriously). 90 mins later and my hands are still cold.

This was in the city center. It's meant to get worse later on. Seriously doubt ye'll get up the mountains unless the met are wrong and the sun comes out for the rest of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

I cycled in 90mins ago.
    Wasn't that bad.

I was out for almost two hours this morning. Assuming you don't need to see, or use your hands afterwards, it should be fine. Snow wasn't sticking to the ground, just to everything else.

If you live in Dundrum, you'd probably get out, do the climb and back before the gear started weighting down too much.

Thanks for heads up folks.
    But was out for 1hr this morning. Sure its cold but I was prepared. Wore Assos winterjacket and a rain cape. Merino hat.
    Worst thing was visibility but glasses helped.
    I'll keep an eye on weather and make a call at 4.

If I head time from work it will be just all NAMA on the news. Frankly I would prefer to freeze my ass of on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

I think I'll be training on my mountain bike today... jeez - I thought by spending 2.5 months outside of Ireland this winter I would miss this sorta thing. Ahh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Ryaner wrote: »
    I was out for almost two hours this morning. Assuming you don't need to see, or use your hands afterwards, it should be fine.

Ditto. Though not so much hands as toes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Thanks for heads up folks.
    But was out for 1hr this morning. Sure its cold but I was prepared. Wore Assos winterjacket and a rain cape. Merino hat.
    Worst thing was visibility but glasses helped.
    I'll keep an eye on weather and make a call at 4.

If I head time from work it will be just all NAMA on the news. Frankly I would prefer to freeze my ass of on the bike.

After 1 hour this morning, I was pretty ok. Little wet in places but pretty warm and ok.
    Roll forward 20 minutes and it was starting to get cold.
    40 Minutes later and I had to bite my gloves to get them off as my fingers couldn't grip them.

It is now about two hours since I came in and showered. My hands are *still* cold and sore.

If you do go out and do the TT then you are crazier than I.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

From the AA

"*WICKLOW* Reports of 3 inches of snow covering roads in the Glencree area. Gardai tell us that the Sally Gap and Wicklow Gap should both be avoided. A lot of snow is falling around Roundwood, with slushy conditions on the Kilmacanogue Rd (R755). *"

Edit just noted my post count is now the same as my DOB !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

RobFowl wrote: »
    From the AA

"*WICKLOW* Reports of 3 inches of snow covering roads in the Glencree area. Gardai tell us that the Sally Gap and Wicklow Gap should both be avoided. A lot of snow is falling around Roundwood, with slushy conditions on the Kilmacanogue Rd (R755). *"

Edit just noted my post count is now the same as my DOB !

1st September 0070?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

So can we declare this event to be officially postponed?

Next Tuesday seems like a popular date for another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

and it's snowing again in D15 right now - I will help w/ marshalling next tuesday no prob.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Raam wrote: »
    1st September 0070?!
    He's just got 3 years younger. At this rate he'll be back to school by the time they go back after Easter:)

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Not being run tonight - just back from an MTB session I cut shorter due to the weather. Really really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Had a go of this earlier today, 22' 20". And there was me thinking I could go sub-20, so much for that. Cooked myself on the early bit despite all the warnings, so was still stuck in 39x21 for the final third. 193 bpm nearly all the way, wheezing and groaning.

Very few out today, which was a shame, lovely day after a poor start.

So who's giving this a go tomorrow evening? - weather looks OK (there may be the odd shower, but the wind should have died down a lot.

Ryan's original post suggested first off at 6.30, so I'll aim at being there 20-30 mins before that so we can sort out timekeeping and marshalling responsibilities

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Beasty wrote: »
    So who's giving this a go tomorrow evening? - weather looks OK (there may be the odd shower, but the wind should have died down a lot.

Ryan's original post suggested first off at 6.30, so I'll aim at being there 20-30 mins before that so we can sort out timekeeping and marshalling responsibilities

I will help you with the time keeping :) i will try to make it as quick as I can after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm out, can't shake the tonsillitis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Should be there too, 6:30 will be shaving it a bit close after work. Ryan going to head along the day after a multi-stage race.. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I'm still planning on being there...

@scienceboy - would I be right in thinking that headwinds at the top tip the scales more if favour of those with more watts total and away from those with better watts-per-kg? Trying to figure out what conditions I should be hoping for here...

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

It breaks my heart to say this cos I do love an old hill tt....but unfortunately I have to work. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Im going to be there

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

niceonetom wrote: »
    would I be right in thinking that headwinds at the top tip the scales more if favour of those with more watts total and away from those with better watts-per-kg? Trying to figure out what conditions I should be hoping for here...

Yes, headwinds always favour the big boned.

Gavin wrote: »
    Should be there too, 6:30 will be shaving it a bit close after work. Ryan going to head along the day after a multi-stage race.. ?

Hopefully if we can get a few there by 6.30, it won't matter too much if some arrive a bit late.

Sunset is just after 8pm, so we should have some flexibility, but we don't want to be starting it at, say, 7 if there are a lot doing it.

Ryan did indicate his preference for tomorrow, so hopefully he will be along

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

If the wind is anything like today, then the flat at the top will be more difficult than the climb

Diarmuid wrote: »
    If the wind is anything like today, then the flat at the top will be more difficult than the climb
    Forecast is for winds of 15-25kph (as opposed to 40-50kph today), and it may well swing round to the NW, which will make it a tail-wind

I hope to make it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I too shall be there.

Advertisement