Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Detailing chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Guys - any shampoo recommendation please ? I got Poor Boys ph neutral shampoo 3/4 years ago and its been pretty good. Just wondering should I go same again or go for a different/better ?

if relevant - one car has ceramic coating and other one has Fusso wax on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

bbari wrote: »
    Guys - any shampoo recommendation please ? I got Poor Boys ph neutral shampoo 3/4 years ago and its been pretty good. Just wondering should I go same again or go for a different/better ?

If your happy with it stick with it.

If you want/fancy a change then I am a Bilthamber fan myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,587 ✭✭✭✭vectra

bbari wrote: »

I use one I get from Autopia
    Apparently it is the same as Chemical guys Mr.Pink

Insta finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

vectra wrote:
    I use one I get from Autopia Apparently it is the same as Chemical guys Mr.Pink

Stupid question....That says ph balanced, is that same as ph neutral?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭Ryath

I need to stock up on fallout remover, tar remover and wheel cleaner. Was using Carpro Iron X and their tar remover Bilt hamber Korrosol and autowheel. Thought korrosol was the better fall out remover and autowheel is amazing. They are expensive though at €15 to 20 per litre. Are any of the cheaper Autopia or Reflect products worth considering? Some of them aren't that much dearer for 5L than the Car pro for 1L

May have a new car to do soon. I still have Dlux and Cquartz left that's about 2.5 years old now reckon it's alright to use? Not sure I'm up to doing a full car again and I don't think I have quite enough cquartz do the whole car twice. Could just do the bonnet, front and back bumpers or else just one coat all over. Have more than enough to do the alloys and trim with dlux. Will have to get a few more of the small microfibre applicators. Other quicker option is maybe not bother with the cquartz at all it will save my back! and I'll just use reload as a quick detailer. I must say I've found it very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I find Reflect iron x and tar remover works just as well as CarPro. There's 15% off on the Reflect site till midnight. Code is FLASH if anyone is interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I buy bilt hamber autowheel in 5 litre and it lasts ages.

With regard to your 2.5 year old flux and cquartz, these products have a shelf life especially when opened.

EPAndlee wrote: »
    I find Reflect iron x and tar remover works just as well as CarPro. There's 15% off on the Reflect site till midnight. Code is FLASH if anyone is interested

It's not too harsh though? Know it doesn't smell as good! Korrosol smells great even my daughter said that the other day when she asked what the smell was!

See that Autopia have 25% off their Black range too autopiablack25

Fairly sure it said on the bottle acid free and pH balanced, it smells pretty bad

EPAndlee wrote: »

Thanks for the code. Ordered Reflect tar remover. Stuck with Bilt hamber korrosol and autowheel. They're not that badly priced especially compared to Carpro stuff. Did pick up some Carpro BugOut. Don't think I could be without autowheel but I might try out Reflects Iron X next time.
    I buy bilt hamber autowheel in 5 litre and it lasts ages.

With regard to your 2.5 year old flux and cquartz, these products have a shelf life especially when opened.

Temping alright to just get the 5L as it would be better value in the long run it's just a good bit of money in one go. I assume direct from Bilt Hamber is the best place to get it? 1L from reflect wasn't to badly priced. Strange Bilt hamber don't do a tar remover. Looking around different online shops can be hard sometimes to get everything you want in one place. Want some Cquartz fabric but Reflect don't have that detailing shed still do but were out of stock of nearly everything else. Hopefully the get back running properly and fully stocked.

With Cquartz knew they have a shelf life they seem ok though haven't crystallised or gelled. Reading on some other forums people have used them after shelf date and they said they still worked well. Don't know if it's worth chancing and it's so much prep to use them. Might just give the car a good clean and rely on Reload for the paintwork. Or pick up Hydro2 lite?

• Advertisement

Ryath wrote: »
    Temping alright to just get the 5L as it would be better value in the long run it's just a good bit of money in one go. I assume direct from Bilt Hamber is the best place to get it? 1L from reflect wasn't to badly priced. Strange Bilt hamber don't do a tar remover. Looking around different online shops can be hard sometimes to get everything you want in one place. Want some Cquartz fabric but Reflect don't have that detailing shed still do but were out of stock of nearly everything else. Hopefully the get back running properly and fully stocked.

With Cquartz knew they have a shelf life they seem ok though haven't crystallised or gelled. Reading on some other forums people have used them after shelf date and they said they still worked well. Don't know if it's worth chancing and it's so much prep to use them. Might just give the car a good clean and rely on Reload for the paintwork. Or pick up Hydro2 lite?

Yep, I got it direct from BH. I also got a few of these extended triggers so that I can use it straight out of the 5L and not have to pour it into the 1L bottle. It's also easier on the hand when spraying.

Personally I wouldn't use a product like that that's been opened for 2.5 years. I may have misunderstood you but that's not something I would do. Prep the car anyway and give it a go in a small area and see how it goes. If it were me I'd be going with your idea of using reload or Hydro2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Can someone recommend a good snowfoam? I'm close to Reflect Auto is they have anything decent.

I use Gtechniq but have read a lot of good reports on the Bilt Hamber Auto foam. I haven't used it myself but some prefer it to Gtechniq.

I use Gtechniq but have read a lot of good reports on the Bilt Hamber Auto foam. I haven't used it myself but some prefer it to Gtechniq.

Did you get it online, or is there a bricks and mortar place to pick it up?

D & D Detailing in Cork stock the whole Gtechniq range.

I use gtechniq snow foam, normally buy it in 5 litre. It's a bit on the expensive side

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    Can someone recommend a good snowfoam? I'm close to Reflect Auto is they have anything decent.

One of the best foams if not THE best
    https://www.reflectautocare.ie/Bilt-Hamber-Auto-Foam?search=hamber

I might pick up both and see what works best. Saying that, I would like it to last aswell. Thanks for the info guys.

I think you might prefer the Bilt Hamber.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Badger2009

I use Bilt Hamber and like most their products it is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

Anyone got a recommendation for a Wash & Wax in Celbridge/Leixlip/Maynooth area please? Lucan is also an option.

I've been hand washing my 181 Mazda 3 the last few months but wouldn't have the time/skills etc. to do a good wax job! I wouldn't have an idea of the cost either:pac:

2pzbqzn.jpg

Anyone got a recommendation for a Wash & Wax in Celbridge/Leixlip/Maynooth area please? Lucan is also an option.

I've been hand washing my 181 Mazda 3 the last few months but wouldn't have the time/skills etc. to do a good wax job! I wouldn't have an idea of the cost either:pac:

[irl]http://i67.tinypic.com/2pzbqzn.jpg[/url]

Not sure exactly where Brian in spirit detailing is based now, but could be worth a call?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭10fathoms

Hello everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has used Autoglym Polar Seal?

I've tried their polar blast snow foam and found it quite good.

10fathoms wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has used Autoglym Polar Seal?

I've tried their polar blast snow foam and found it quite good.

Used it about a month ago, seems to be holding up pretty good so far

vectra wrote: »
    Not sure exactly where Brian in spirit detailing is based now, but could be worth a call?

Cheers for that, unfortunately it looks like he is now operating from Batterstown in Meath:(, would ideally need something closer. Thanks anyway for the suggestion:) Anyone else?

Cheers for that, unfortunately it looks like he is now operating from Batterstown in Meath:(, would ideally need something closer. Thanks anyway for the suggestion:) Anyone else?

Pro Car Detailing (Gtechniq Accredited Detailer)
    GD House
    Whitestown Drive
    Tallaght
    Co. Dublin
    D24 FW5D

Phone: 085 287 4449
    Prop: Wojciech Kowalczyk
    www.procardetailing.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Tom at Premier Car Care is mobile and does really good work. He is on FB and seems to have a lot of satisfied customers. Not affiliated.

Tom at Premier Car Care is mobile and does really good work. He is on FB and seems to have a lot of satisfied customers. Not affiliated.

Thanks for the recommendation Stallingrad:D

LOL :D

53633603_2476447045712209_6135452750470709248_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_eui2=AeFNIps87xu7U5ZflxlLa3l8UqaP7N2WT0m7hp4kMLG4NJYaL5dG4RbsSwItGVFR4F6tJk4aQt8L1WVKDMQadrYUroTKQCEZeZfZXAbulXvVmg&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=124d3af5ca61fc59c260b7171a1e554d&oe=5D18706B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

Seamless finish in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Lads, whats the easiest way to remove tint from the front two windows?

Duff wrote: »
    Lads, whats the easiest way to remove tint from the front two windows?

Use a heat gun or at a push, a hairdryer. I've never done it before but it could be tedious.

To remove any residue left over, use HG Sticker Remover or hot soapy water and a sponge. Instead of a normal sponge I would use one of those yellow pad scrubbers. Be sure not to use the one with the green surface as this can scratch but instead use a white or blue one.

Perfect, thanks a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Also a new Stanley blade or similar helps too.

Used a hairdryer and a stanley and the first tint came off almost flawlessly and left no residue at all. The second however, was a nightmare to remove even with the heat and stanley! Got all the tint off after an hour and a half or working a 1x1 inch section at a time. It's left loads of clear glue though. I've tried sticker/adhesive remover, hot soapy water and a stanley and they've all proved to be pretty futile in getting the glue off the glass. Any other ideas? Is there any industrial strength glue dissolver that I don't know about? :pac:

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Smash the glass and claim on your insurance :pac:

Smash the glass and claim on your insurance :pac:

:D:D If NCT wasn't this week I would!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Duff wrote: »
    Used a hairdryer and a stanley and the first tint came off almost flawlessly and left no residue at all. The second however, was a nightmare to remove even with the heat and stanley! Got all the tint off after an hour and a half or working a 1x1 inch section at a time. It's left loads of clear glue though. I've tried sticker/adhesive remover, hot soapy water and a stanley and they've all proved to be pretty futile in getting the glue off the glass. Any other ideas? Is there any industrial strength glue dissolver that I don't know about? :pac:

Cheers.

Get some paint thinners ( automotive standard NOT household. Tetrosyl or similar ) Cover the dash to protect it from drop's spillages etc. Get a pair of household rubber glove's and some clean cloth's. Put some thinner on a corner of the cloth, and rub it on the adhesive. Do it section by section, and as the adhesive softens, wipe it off. When it has all been removed, use a good window cleaner to restore the glass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Hi all, I'm hoping someone here can help, The mrs bumped the bumper of our 161 kadjar against a block wall earlier and now there is some scratches on the plastic bumper so i'm looking to know what is the best approach to minimizing the look of these?

Also once i've resolved those I want to bring the black colour back up on all the exterior trim i've seen CarPro DLUX or Gtechniq C4 mentioned for this a few times on the forum are these still the best products for a novice?

Final question any recommendations on a half decent alloy wheel cleaner? (EDIT a search shows up some recommendations on Wonder Wheels)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

tommycahir wrote: »
    Final question any recommendations on a half decent alloy wheel cleaner? (EDIT a search shows up some recommendations on Wonder Wheels)

If they are the larger diamond cut wheels with clear coat Wonder Wheels would be too harsh, you want something like Bilt Hamber Auto-Wheel. If standard alloys them you can be less fussy like Turtle Wax redline which is cheaper but still pH neutral.

• Advertisement

If they are the larger diamond cut wheels with clear coat Wonder Wheels would be too harsh, you want something like Bilt Hamber Auto-Wheel. If standard alloys them you can be less fussy like Turtle Wax redline which is cheaper but still pH neutral.

I am not sure if the Kadjar ones are diamond cut (pic of the version we have below), but the ones on our grand scenic are standard finish so should be ok

renault-kadjar-2018-diesel-white-suv-dublin-5c03a5c3c38f7-1007583510.jpg

Wonder Wheels is a load of sh!t. They tried to go into the whole "turning purple" once sprayed on the alloys but the stuff is already purple in the bottle.

A proper wheel cleaner (especially for diamond cut alloys) is Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel. My alloys are diamond cut and in order to preserve the finish I use Auto Wheel by spraying on, let it dwell for a few minutes and powerwash off. No brushes or anything used because they cause tiny cracks in the lacquer and alloy water in causing whiteworm.

Cheers looks like Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel is the wheel cleaner for me so.

Any feedback on how to deal with the bumper scratches and the colour restorer/protector?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭DoctorStrange

I've Hydro2 on the car at the moment for around 3 months, it's gone from the lower half of the car but still beading on the top half of the car.

I've a rare day off coming up and I want to try fusso soft 99.

Any ideas on how to remove the remaining Hydro2? APC, washing up liquid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I've Hydro2 on the car at the moment for around 3 months, it's gone from the lower half of the car but still beading on the top half of the car.

Any ideas on how to remove the remaining Hydro2? APC, washing up liquid?

All purpose cleaner, wash, decontamination such as tar remover and clay, then wash again.

Apply Fusso extremely light using a damp sponge.
    I normally do 3 panels then remove.
    ie
    2 front wings and bonnet.
    Roof would be do on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭DoctorStrange

How long do you wait between coats? I've tried two thin coats of Collinite before and works really well, usually did second coat the next day but I don't have the time anymore.

How long do you wait between coats? I've tried two thin coats of Collinite before and works really well, usually did second coat the next day but I don't have the time anymore.

Some say 6 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

A thin coat , or "covering", is all that is needed when applying a wax, sealant, etc as there is only a minimal layer of the coating that will actually bond to the surface. The rest will just come off with the buffing stage. Not only is that wastage of product, but if the first layer is too thick and cured quite thick it can mean removal needs to be more vigorous and this may lead to actual marring of the paintwork.

There is also a very merited idea that multiple layers of coating doesn't equate to the same multiple thickness layers. 4 layers won't give you 4 times the thickness of 1 coating. The carriers, some being solvents, in the wax to keep it semi-solid in the container can, and most likely do, actually remove some of the previous layer. Where a second coat can be beneficial is to be more sure of complete coverage of the area i.e- potential missed areas from first layer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Any opinions on this coming up in Lidl later this week?
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?articleId=17904

• Advertisement
Advertisement