Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

wally79 wrote: »
    It might have clipped the back of the bar at best

Was never spinning back

Just a poor decision

Better luck next year hopefully

New striker required
    With hindsight, and slow motion replays, there is no consensus. If it was going to hit the back of the bar, then it was out of play by the time his fingertips got it. Most commentators don't agree that it was out. If it is that awkward to judge now, then imagine what it was like in the spur of the moment. It was a heartbreaking scenario, but not the clear mistake that some are painting it to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Ball was never out of play, never looked to be out of play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Johnmb wrote: »
    With hindsight, and slow motion replays, there is no consensus. If it was going to hit the back of the bar, then it was out of play by the time his fingertips got it. Most commentators don't agree that it was out. If it is that awkward to judge now, then imagine what it was like in the spur of the moment. It was a heartbreaking scenario, but not the clear mistake that some are painting it to be.

Back of the bar is still in play..

But doing nothing would have meant the ball going harmlessly out of play

However if he had to do anything.. just put it behind for a corner and regroup.

It's pretty much one of the first things told to schoolboy keepers... If you can't be sure of catching it then put it behind..

lawred2 wrote: »
    Back of the bar is still in play..

But doing nothing would have meant the ball going harmlessly out of play

However if he had to do anything.. just put it behind for a corner and regroup.

It's pretty much one of the first things told to schoolboy keepers... If you can't be sure of catching it then put it behind..
    I don't think Pickford thought it would go out if left. I think he felt he had two options, hit it out for a corner, or catch it. Given how shaky Everton still are at defending corners, he tried to catch it. I think he misjudged both the amount of spin, and how far behind him it was. In hindsight he made the wrong decision, but at that moment the choice you think he should have made wasn't an option as far as he was concerned. Of the two options he felt he had, I'd have knocked it back, but he either thought he could catch it, or that his defence couldn't handle another corner. Hard to argue with his decision making based on what's gone before. It wasn't an obvious mistake until after it happened, and he didn't have the luxury of waiting to see what happened, he had to make a decision. He's still our top keeper by far, and one of the best in the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

thebaz wrote: »
    we seam a million miles away from last year when we lacked any direction - Silva has given us shape and direction - think pickford will learn from today (hopefully) and get back to what he is good at - a top class striker for Christmas and get that stadium built (rather than the never-end fan consultations) - and I'll be happy (Everton wise

The very first thing we need to do is sign Gomes. He's the best midfielder we've had in over 30-years and I think Liverpool themselves will be eyeing him up after that performance today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Laois_Man wrote: »
    The very first thing we need to do is sign Gomes. He's the best midfielder we've had in over 30-years and I think Liverpool themselves will be eyeing him up after that performance today!

agree , we need to sign him up , but best midfielder in 30 years ???? - needs a lot more good performances before I'm having that

agree , we need to sign him up , but best midfielder in 30 years ???? - needs a lot more good performances before I'm having that

To be honest it is not really a long list to choose from..

He's definitely got the potential to be the best midfielder in a very long time for Everton.

But that's no good if he signs for someone else at the end of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

To be honest it is not really a long list to choose from..

He's definitely got the potential to be the best midfielder in a very long time for Everton.

But that's no good if he signs for someone else at the end of the season

Need to get him signed in January. His price has probably doubled already

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Lincoln in the cup at home. Hopefully the competition is taken seriously and we don’t have a repeat of the League Cup nonsense.

Lumbo wrote: »
    Lincoln in the cup at home. Hopefully the competition is taken seriously and we don’t have a repeat of the League Cup nonsense.
    Fingers crossed it's taken seriously. Although I think our second team should be good enough to beat Lincoln. Big problem is that all the big teams will see the FA Cup as their only chance at winning anything this season too given how City are going. We'd have had a better chance in the League Cup if we'd taken that more seriously...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I don't know why but I have a feeling we're going to give Newcastle a good hiding tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭wally79

SickBoy wrote: »
    I don't know why but I have a feeling we're going to give Newcastle a good hiding tonight.

Confidence is never a good omen for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

wally79 wrote: »
    Confidence is never a good omen for us

It's not confidence, I can't explain it but I do know it's not confidence.

Crap result

Dominated but couldn’t break them down. They actually had the clearer chances in the end. We need to be beating the likes of Newcastle at home. More points dropped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Lack of a striker is obvious

We also seem to play in front of teams too much and don't get runners in behind for through balls

I've also never seen anyone slip as much since Gerrard retired as Bernard. I think there's a reason we got him on a freebie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

nice_guy80 wrote: »

We also seem to play in front of teams too much and don't get runners in behind for through balls

I've also never seen anyone slip as much since Gerrard retired as Bernard. I think there's a reason we got him on a freebie

He is used to playing in the snow where the ground is solid, but give him this season and like Bambi he'll find his feet

Digne would want to look at himself for that first goal

nice_guy80 wrote: »

quality striker is essential - Tosun and Calvert- Lewin are not up t o it - lets sell Tosun in the window and bring in some quality striker -

quality striker is essential - Tosun and Calvert- Lewin are not up t o it - lets sell Tosun in the window and bring in some quality striker -

Who could we get? Callum Wilson possibly?

• Advertisement

eh i dunno wrote: »

tough one, maybe pinch someone over at Old Trafford, a lot of bench warmers ther now

Any striker we get is gonna be a big risk similar to the Tosun risk. I see we're heavily lined with Brazilian Gabriel Barbosa who has already flopped at Inter Milan and who have sent him on loan back to Brazil where he's flying it again in a mid-table team - 27 goals since February. But he's still young and seemingly has the ability, he just needs to settle in Europe.

There really aren't a lot of decent strikers around!

tough one, maybe pinch someone over at Old Trafford, a lot of bench warmers ther now

Alexis Sanchez is really the only one who they MIGHT want to dispense with. Even then, I don't know if they'd be wanting to help a team that's close to them in the table!

Rashford, Martial and Lukaku are all getting plenty of games. Lukaku would never come back anyway!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Callum Wilson seems to be the name to drop over on Toffeeweb. I don't see it. His record isn't great.

Calvert Lewin is quality, I'd like to see him play more.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Callum Wilson seems to be the name to drop over on Toffeeweb. I don't see it. His record isn't great.

Calvert Lewin is quality, I'd like to see him play more.

really? I'm not convinced by him personally

really? I'm not convinced by him personally

I have an illogical grá for him. He’s tall, strong, quick, good in the air and has great feet. I get the feeling it’ll click for him soon and he’ll be a real player. I’m not sure what’s holding him back.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I reckon Silva has some Richarlison-esque striker that no one has heard of hidden up his sleeve - but we'll probably have to wait till the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I have an illogical grá for him. He’s tall, strong, quick, good in the air and has great feet. I get the feeling it’ll click for him soon and he’ll be a real player. I’m not sure what’s holding him back.

Ability is what’s holding him back!

That and his girlfriend!!!!

Gavlor wrote: »
    Ability is what’s holding him back!

That and his girlfriend!!!!

His girlfriend? The lad has all the ability I’m world.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

His girlfriend? The lad has all the ability I’m world.

She’s a distraction alright

if you're into that sort of cheap lad mag tabloid look of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

if you're into that sort of cheap lad mag tabloid look of course

I think you just made that up.

I think you just made that up.

I'm sure she could scrub up better than that cheap tart look...

I'm sure she could scrub up better than that cheap tart look...

Yeah, wouldn’t touch her. State of her....

Yeah, wouldn’t touch her. State of her....

exactly :D

• Advertisement

Any news on James McCarthy?

Any news on James McCarthy?

Thought he was back training a month ago but heard nothing since. Schneiderlan has also disappeared.

Thought he was back training a month ago but heard nothing since. Schneiderlan has also disappeared.

fingers crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭wally79

Think silva said yesterday that he’s nearly back

Gueye is such a better player than either of these - Schneiderlan could be good, but just seams lazy - McCarthy is injury prone and not up the standard we want right now.

• Advertisement

Gueye is such a better player than either of these - Schneiderlan could be good, but just seams lazy - McCarthy is injury prone and not up the standard we want right now.

Completely disagree. If McCarthy was at his best, I'd have him above Gueye every time. A lot of people really over rate Gueye - although it only seems to be Evertonians. His passing is dreadful! No point in having a good ball winner who immediately loses it again so often!

Completely disagree. If McCarthy was at his best, I'd have him above Gueye every time. A lot of people really over rate Gueye - although it only seems to be Evertonians. His passing is dreadful! No point in having a good ball winner who immediately loses it again so often!

Averages 55 passes a game
    85% successful passes

Dem baps though

When was McCarthy at his best?? Gueye is consistently a 7 or 8 out of ten McCarthy, when fit, consistently a 5 or 6.
    He hasn’t turned into the player you’d like to think he could have been.

Averages 55 passes a game
    85% successful passes

But have you got any stats on the % success when he tries to play it forward?
    When was McCarthy at his best?? Gueye is consistently a 7 or 8 out of ten McCarthy, when fit, consistently a 5 or 6.
    He hasn’t turned into the player you’d like to think he could have been.

He was fantastic in his first season and he was looking like getting back to that again last season when he got that leg break!

But have you got any stats on the % success when he tries to play it forward

If you can find those stats post them up.

But that’s not the point you made. You said his passing is dreadful! No point in having a good ball winner who immediately loses it again so often. The stats show that he doesn’t.
    Also, I find it strange that you’re suggesting that McCarthy, the king of the sideways pass, would be better at passing forward. I’ve very rarely seen him make a defense splitting pass.

Don’t get me wrong, I like McCarthy, he does a good job as a defensive midfielder and his injuries have been unfortunate for him. But I would have Gueye ahead of him every time.

and I compleltly disagree - he has been our most consistent midfielder the past few years , not saying much, for various reason McCarthy has not been that.

If you can find those stats post them up.

But that’s not the point you made. You said his passing is dreadful! No point in having a good ball winner who immediately loses it again so often. The stats show that he doesn’t.
    Also, I find it strange that you’re suggesting that McCarthy, the king of the sideways pass, would be better at passing forward. I’ve very rarely seen him make a defense splitting pass.

Don’t get me wrong, I like McCarthy, he does a good job as a defensive midfielder and his injuries have been unfortunate for him. But I would have Gueye ahead of him every time.

A fully fit, on form McCarthy would be a step above Gueye any day for me. However, we're never likely to see that again. Martinez's first season was the last time we really saw it, he was phenomenal for Everton.

they/them/theirs

and I compleltly disagree - he has been our most consistent midfielder the past few years , not saying much, for various reason McCarthy has not been that.

I like Gueye a lot. He's hard working and committed, but he's limited. He's essentially the Senegalese Lee Carsley. The fact that he's been our best midfielder in his time at Everton says more about our other midfielders than it does about him as a player.

they/them/theirs

I clean forgot about McCarthy. Says it all, totally forgettable talent. Decent player but that's it, no value due to injuries though, get rid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement