Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

Basq wrote: »
    Mine tends to just stop in a state of buffering after the first ad break when casting. Frustrating!

This happens to be too. I tried casting from my oneplus and my wife's iPhone and get the same. Restart the cast and it works again until the next ad break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

What's the best (and easiest) method to use in order to watch the BBC iPlayer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,942 ✭✭✭✭banie01

BandMember wrote: »
    What's the best (and easiest) method to use in order to watch the BBC iPlayer?

A smart DNS service rather than VPN.
    BBC are very quick at switching off VPNs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

banie01 wrote: »
    A smart DNS service rather than VPN.
    BBC are very quick at switching off VPNs.

How can I set this up the shield?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tuff1

Just looking on around on Donedeal, Adverts etc and there's 2017 models going for 100-120. Reckon it's worth picking up one of these on the cheap rather than the TV or Pro 2019 models?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭corks finest

tuff1 wrote: »
    Just looking on around on Donedeal, Adverts etc and there's 2017 models going for 100-120. Reckon it's worth picking up one of these on the cheap rather than the TV or Pro 2019 models?

Go for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,035 ✭✭✭✭Basq

CEX has had the 2017 model for about €130 once or twice in the last month.. but with controller and no remote.

If you've an oldish phone, easy enough to get close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Does anyone know if Disney + will work on the Shield?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Daz_ wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Disney + will work on the Shield?

Yes, I installed it the other night.

Yes, I installed it the other night.

Excellent thank you

• Advertisement

I picked up a 'Used (Acceptable)' the other day for £111 (splurged on cheap sterling when weak last week so worked out roughly €120).

Condition indicates a good few imperfections / scratches (scratches everywhere basically - as above! :D) but it'll a small enough device and will be hanging behind the TV in a wall bracket anyways so don't mind that!
    So this arrived just over a week early.. to say I'm pleasantly surprised would be an understatement.

Everything well packaged in the box, although does look repackaged (sellotape on top of box):

IMG-20200327-105405.jpg

This is the worst scratch on it and you'd have to look for it as the matt exterior hides them well.. I was honestly expecting a few deep white scratches of surface:

IMG-20200327-105306.jpg

Remote is absolutely pristine:

IMG-20200327-105237.jpg

No HDMI cable in the box though doesn't indicate if there should be... I've a rake of them anyways!

EDIT: From reading around.. nope, no HDMI provided.

A steal at €120 IMO... also picked up a 128GB micro SD card for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭setanta1984

No HDMI cable in the box though doesn't indicate if there should be... I've a rake of them anyways!

Yes it doesn't come with a HDMI cable when new, which is unbelievably stingy for such an expensive product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Mr.S wrote: »
    A Plex related (stupid) question..

If I have the Plex server running on the Shield, but use the Plex client app on my TV, does direct-play still happen or will it transcribe everything?

It should direct play as long as it's in a format and has an audio codec that the client app on the TV can natively play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

OK lads a few questions from myself yet again realted to Shield and Getflix:

1. Does it open RTE Player from abroad??
    2. Do I need a second/alternative Google account for Irish/UK stuff if the Shield is setup for German use normally??
    3. Is Getflix an app that I install on the Shield?? Can be switched on and off according to use??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I'm also very interested in Getflix. $35.64 for 2 years seems decent too.

What do people use it for mainly.

Just to get U.S netflix and watch BBC iPlayer mainly I suppose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭xlogo

MiskyBoyy wrote:
    I'm also very interested in Getflix. $35.64 for 2 years seems decent too.

Where can I get Getflix for that price??

xlogo wrote: »
    Where can I get Getflix for that price??

"Click on the "Promo Code" tab and enter the code LIFETIME60 to claim your 60% lifetime discount on two yearly subscriptions."

1. Getflix doesn't work with RTE Player, sadly. Or, I have never gotten it to work!
    2. No second Google account needed, all you are tweaking is your DNS settings either at Device or Router level.
    3. No app on the Shield, it's not like a VPN - you edit your DNS and then setup your dashboard on the Getflix website for what services you want. There's an mobile app to easily update your IP / turn regional Netflix on / off etc.

Automatic region switching without having to connect via a VPN to pick a specific country etc.

Eg you can access UK and US content at the same time without having to do anything.

I use it for US Netflix, Prime and Disney+ and then iPlayer / ITV Hub.

BBC will look for account details to access I player, at least it did for me when trialling a VPN lately ( I used a specific address in the 6 counties)

Just put any valid UK postcode, it’s not unique to the BBC web account.

Did that obviously,my old post code,( n of IRELAND) looking fir licence details etc, no joy

• Advertisement

Did that obviously,my old post code,( n of IRELAND) looking fir licence details etc, no joy

There are 2 options to register as far as I can remember.
    1 with license details, 1 without, both need address details tho.

I know when I registered for iPlayer that I used option 2.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    When I registered they asked if I have a licence and I selected yes of course and that was the end of it, they didn’t want anything specific

That's what I may have been misremembering horribly in my earlier post!

License yes/no and clicked yes with no other details required.

There are 2 options to register as far as I can remember.
    1 with license details, 1 without, both need address details tho.

I know when I registered for iPlayer that I used option 2.

Thanks I used my old Derry post code ,same issue last year while trialling another VPN no joy

I was expecting it to request a licence number but thankfully it didn’t

Looked for one off me

That's what I may have been misremembering horribly in my earlier post!

License yes/no and clicked yes with no other details required.

FFS I made a ball's of it so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

1. Getflix doesn't work with RTE Player, sadly. Or, I have never gotten it to work!
    2. No second Google account needed, all you are tweaking is your DNS settings either at Device or Router level.
    3. No app on the Shield, it's not like a VPN - you edit your DNS and then setup your dashboard on the Getflix website for what services you want. There's an mobile app to easily update your IP / turn regional Netflix on / off etc.

Automatic region switching without having to connect via a VPN to pick a specific country etc.

Eg you can access UK and US content at the same time without having to do anything.

I use it for US Netflix, Prime and Disney+ and then iPlayer / ITV Hub.

Activated a month's sub again just to see how I get on, can't find any settings for iPlayer within the dashboard.

I'm prob missing something obvious I guess.

Is there a handy step by step instructions for the shield?

• Advertisement

there isnt any settings for iplayer as such you just need configure a uk dns setting

So basically log in on the app on my phone, open Ethernet settings on the shield, and input the DNS settings?

Seems straightforward if that's the case, I'll have to try later when I can reclaim my telly from my 4 little savages!.

If this works, I'm going to drop VPN unlimited, iPlayer hasn't worked via that in about 3 weeks, sick of it at this stage.

No app needed, although you can use the Getflix app to activate your IP address and switch on / off Netflix regions without having to log into the Getflix dashboard.

--

- Signup to Getflix
    - Log onto your Getflix dash while connected to your network (either via laptop, phone, tablet or browser on the Shield)
    - Under "IP Address Status" click Update / Register (this registers your IP address with Getflix. You sometimes need to force refresh this every couple of months)
    -Under "Regions" select which if you want Netflix US on or off. Same with Amazon Prime. You can probably ignore the rest as they are very US / Canada focused. iPlayer / ITV should work automatically and doesn't need to be enabled.
    - On your Shield, navigate to connection setting config and follow the steps to change the DNS servers to that of Getflix. Pick two servers nearest your location. I use the Dublin and London ones.

iPlayer works 99.9% of the time. The very rare time I get an error message and need to restart the app.

I did all the above and nothing seems to have changed guys.

Do I need to reboot server or anything?

I put the UK server in DNS1 and Dublin server in 2.

Are you definitely saving the settings with the new DNS settings?

Once you save, reboot the Shield.

Do you lose internet access? If so, then the setup was incorrect. If you still have internet, try iPlayer and see if it works.

Rebooted shield and now have no internet on it so there was s problem there is my guess.

Will try again, cheers for this.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Rebooted shield and now have no internet on it so there was s problem there is my guess.

Will try again, cheers for this.

Na, sorry Mr.S, I don't know what in the hell is going on for me but it's not working.

Here's basically what I've did.

Logged into the geflix dashboard on my phone (on my WiFi)

Opened the Shield settings , changed the IP address to static and continued through the options to the DNS entering the UK and Ireland ones from Geflix own site.

Saved settings.

Restarted shield and no internet. Tried severally times I manually inserted the DNS settings, and copied and pasted. Tried the shield on both WiFi and on ethernet, but nothing.

Just gave up, and reverted back to how it was beforehand.

I'd like to consider myself as fairly tech savvy, but it's beaten me for now. :mad:

McMurphy wrote: »
    Na, sorry Mr.S, I don't know what in the hell is going on for me but it's not working.

Here's basically what I've did.

Logged into the geflix dashboard on my phone (on my WiFi)

Opened the Shield settings , changed the IP address to static and continued through the options to the DNS entering the UK and Ireland ones from Geflix own site.

Saved settings.

Restarted shield and no internet. Tried severally times I manually inserted the DNS settings, and copied and pasted. Tried the shield on both WiFi and on ethernet, but nothing.

Just gave up, and reverted back to how it was beforehand.

I'd like to consider myself as fairly tech savvy, but it's beaten me for now. :mad:

Check that when you are setting your internet Gateway that the IP is correct.
    Losing internet connection points to a gateway issue.

Shield defaults to 192.168.1.1 when setting a static IP.
    Many home setups have 192.168.0.1 as their gateway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Ben Done

Check that when you are setting your internet Gateway that the IP is correct.
    Losing internet connection points to a gateway issue.

Shield defaults to 192.168.1.1 when setting a static IP.
    Many home setups have 192.168.0.1 as their gateway.

Also, you need to update your IP address on the getflix website - mine changes every night (on Vodafone)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Have you disabled ipv6 on the shield and turned off location services ?

With regard to Netflix and Getflix, it might also be that you have to enable static routes on the routine block google and some other public dns (had to do that with a fritz!box).

Cheers guys, that was 100% the problem. There was a different IP address alright, Geflix own instructions are a bit pants tbh, as they basically tell you to ignore everything bar their global DNS settings which must be changed in DNS1 & 2.

Can confirm bbc iPlayer is now working (albeit initially with severe audio lag) I tinkered around with it a bit, including doing a software update and restarting the shield after that - worked perfectly**.

Disney + definitely working as I now have all 8 episodes of the mandalorian on the shield, compared with only 3 on my phone (which Geflix keeps saying failed the DNS test, despite me doing the same setup on it, pocofone F1)

Netflix working, but hard to tell if I'm definitely on the USA version, as I'm unsure of enroll proof method of testing, anyone know any 100% USA only movies or boxsets?

**A while back I was reporting that my BBC iPlayer refused to work for me at all unless i.left alone for ten secs or so immediately after opening the app. Upon further researching this, it turns out the app installed to remap buttons on the new remote causes an issue with iPlayer, and can confirm uninstalling the remap app seems to have cleared this up.

Can't help wondering now if that's what was causing iPlayer not to work with the VPN i had installed now all along.

Anyway thanks again for all your help lads, liking the looks of Geflix so far, may splurge out on them two years I think .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

this costs money with vodafone every month so i am choosing the cheaper way of refreshing daily on the app

Try DuckDNS. It's free and gives you an actual web address, eg mysubdomain.duckdns.com, that you can use rather than an ip address

Hi Folks. Anyone using Nord VPN on the shield ?my current Express VPN ends soon and Nord have a good value 24 0r 36 month option .

I use Netflix , BBC player mainly .

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Hi Folks. Anyone using Nord VPN on the shield ?my current Express VPN ends soon and Nord have a good value 24 0r 36 month option .

I use Netflix , BBC player mainly .

Thanks

It's cheaper for a reason. It's fine as a vpn but pretty useless for iPlayer or Netflix.

It's cheaper for a reason. It's fine as a vpn but pretty useless for iPlayer or Netflix.

Really ? That’s disappointing .
    Looking at Surfshark also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭bazzz

Really ? That’s disappointing .
    Looking at Surfshark also

Spider VPN is a decent option and they unlock most services(geo-blocking). They don't keep logs, good speeds and are decently priced(VPN Software or VPN Routers).
    They are available for most devices. Worth a research on the www.

Vpn companies are always detected because they have x amount of customers all coming from a few ip’s
    Smart dns is the way to go for Netflix and U.K. players

That may be true but I have used Express VPN for the last 15 months and it worked perfectly with Netflix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

That may be true but I have used Express VPN for the last 15 months and it worked perfectly with Netflix

You were lucky. It was hit and miss for me but way better than NordVPN.

• Advertisement

You were lucky. It was hit and miss for me but way better than NordVPN.

Don’t know if it was luck , using it most days ? I found Washington location worked the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Anyone else unable to update or download and install new apps from Google Play Store?

I have the auto update option selected but I often find apps waiting to be updated and tonight all I get is a continuous "Download Pending" message whenever i try to update or install a new app.

I've changed the internet connection from Ethernet to 5Ghz and back with no joy but both work fine as I can stream YouTube on both etc.

It seems like the Google Play app is somehow corrupt and rebooting etc hasn't made any difference. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭yellowbear

54and56 wrote: »
    Anyone else unable to update or download and install new apps from Google Play Store?

I have the auto update option selected but I often find apps waiting to be updated and tonight all I get is a continuous "Download Pending" message whenever i try to update or install a new app.

I've changed the internet connection from Ethernet to 5Ghz and back with no joy but both work fine as I can stream YouTube on both etc.

It seems like the Google Play app is somehow corrupt and rebooting etc hasn't made any difference. Any suggestions?
    Do you have adblocking app on it. Blockada used to do that to my shield. Apps updated fine once I turned it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

54and56 wrote: »

Try clearing the cache from the google play store app and try again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

yellowbear wrote: »
    Do you have adblocking app on it. Blockada used to do that to my shield. Apps updated fine once I turned it off.

Good shout but no. I used to use Blockada on phones and tablets but never the Shield.

BTW I'm on Version 8.0.2(32.5.205.105)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Anyone finding Disney+ buffering an awful lot with getflix?

Got 24 months SurfShark for roughly ~€42 an hour or so back.. installed it across two Shields and a Pi.

Looks good with seems like a decent speed.

https://order.surfshark.com/

Comes with 30 day money back guarantee so will see how things pan out.

Got 24 months SurfShark for roughly ~€42 an hour or so back.. installed it across two Shields and a Pi.

Looks good with seems like a decent speed.

https://order.surfshark.com/

Comes with 30 day money back guarantee so will see how things pan out.

I actually got this the other day too . Seemed good except none of the UK locations worked for me with the BBC player so I cancelled it

I actually got this the other day too . Seemed good except none of the UK locations worked for me with the BBC player so I cancelled it
    Really? Worked fine for me.

Though BBC Player was crashing for me on Shield so had to cast it.. will look into it a bit more.

• Advertisement

Getflix works fine for everything except Netflix for me. Netflix gives proxy error, detects DNS. Any idea?

Advertisement