Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

Strumms wrote: »
    I don’t think so at all...

“Yeah I can’t wait until I can spend hours trawling through packed and sweaty shops for hours at a time” is NOT something you are going to hear.

Shopping will be done in the main early as in from around now and online.

Older people without the ability or access to go online will avail of help as in younger family, neighbors... I’ll be doing all my parents Xmas shopping online.

They aren’t a fan as they are old school and like to ‘see what they are buying’ but it’s for one year and the alternative is grim.

It'll be the retail industry, and the Department for Finance, that will put the government under pressure to open retail, not customers themselves. Even if the shops do reduced business, it'll mean that the pandemic payment won't need to be paid over those three December weeks and into January.

Same financial reason to open cafes and restaurants. Plus the fact that the government will understand that people will want to meet friends over Christmas and if they don't open cafes and restaurants people will meet up in houses, restrictions or not. People may be willing to buy in for these six weeks (and even that is doubtful) but there'll be a lot less compliance if the restrictions are extended into December. They've been very clear that this lockdown is only for 6 weeks.

What ordinary people will be clamoring for is an increase in the number of people allowed in your house rather than shops opening. I can't see the government resisting that, because a large proportion of people will end up doing it anyway, restrictions or not, at least on Christmas Day. And those that do keep to the rules will be raging when seeing that others aren't. It'll be a nightmare for them unless they relax the visiting rules for at least the two weeks around Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

JDD wrote: »
    I probably will carry around more (ethanol free) sanitiser. Whether I remember to use it or not will be another story.

You mean methanol free? :)

You mean methanol free? :)

:pac: Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

El Sueño wrote: »
    Do you have any examples of this? I'm not sure this is the case

Of course he doesn't. Its widely available to read up on regarding Spanish flu for example

El Sueño wrote: »
    Do you have any examples of this? I'm not sure this is the case

New hygien rules after every pandemic, for example.
    I had read that until the most recent cholera pandemic a few years back, it wasn't customary to wash hands as soon as arrived home from outodoors, or wash hands before eating.

This current pandemic will have us not hand shaking, carrying hand sanitizers or wearing masks more often than before, just like most Japanese do as a regular habit.

BTW, this is the first time in my life that I could walk into a bank or a post office with a mask on my face while the staff is happy to see me. I am quite sure that even when everything is fine again (one year, five years from now, who knows) nobody will object if one walks into a bank with a mask. Who will have the courage to ask you to remove it?

• Advertisement

Of course he doesn't.

Why are you so sure to say this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Strumms wrote: »
    I don’t think so at all...

“Yeah I can’t wait until I can spend hours trawling through packed and sweaty shops for hours at a time” is NOT something you are going to hear.

Shopping will be done in the main early as in from around now and online.

Older people without the ability or access to go online will avail of help as in younger family, neighbors... I’ll be doing all my parents Xmas shopping online.

They aren’t a fan as they are old school and like to ‘see what they are buying’ but it’s for one year and the alternative is grim.

The business community will no doubt kick off but we’ve seen what a bunch of selfish and disingenuous fûckers many of them are... couldn’t care less about covid stats, only spreadsheet stats. Fûck em.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, fu9k 'em. And fu9k all the jobs they provide and all the money they pay in taxes. Fu9k 'em all.

Why are you so sure to say this?

Please give an example of how a pandemic changed the social fabric of society then please seeing as you've said there's no return to normal in a previous post which I addressed.

My reference is Spanish flu, life returned to normal

Do you actually believe any of the nonsense you've just typed.

No normal? Ok so let me put it to you like this, there won't be large sporting events, festivals, travel etc no ? You honestly think none of that is coming back, people not being social with other people? People meeting others and settling down to build a family?

There's something in the middle between no sports events and no travel at all and all back to what it was. There might be new rules to attend events, there might be new way to travel, i.e. not packing trains and airplanes with people.
    It's not white or black.

Other pandemics have changed some things that were for granted before them, and you, too, can read up something about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

I had read that until the most recent cholera pandemic a few years back, it wasn't customary to wash hands as soon as arrived home from outodoors, or wash hands before eating.

This current pandemic will have us not hand shaking, carrying hand sanitizers or wearing masks more often than before, just like most Japanese do as a regular habit.

BTW, this is the first time in my life that I could walk into a bank or a post office with a mask on my face while the staff is happy to see me. I am quite sure that even when everything is fine again (one year, five years from now, who knows) nobody will object if one walks into a bank with a mask. Who will have the courage to ask you to remove it?

It still isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

This thread has gone from one of the most informative threads on boards to sh1t :)
    I apologize for my part in dragging it off topic.

Please give an example of how a pandemic changed the social fabric of society then please seeing as you've said there's no return to normal in a previous post which I addressed.

I didn't mention social fabric, I said life style.

polesheep wrote: »
    It still isn't.

It depends on where one lives :)

There's something in the middle between no sports events and no travel at all and all back to what it was. There might be new rules to attend events, there might be new way to travel, i.e. not packing trains and airplanes with people.
    It's not white or black.

Other pandemics have changed some things that were for granted before them, and you, too, can read up something about this.
    Great so you admit then things get back to normal.

If your going to say some things changed then please reference what has changed.

Anyway this thread is vaccine related so we're derailing it here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Ah ok well the part in bold I could see being the case to a certain extent, I thought you meant no more mass gatherings or something extreme like that

Edit: I thought this was the main thread, apologies for the non vaccine talk

Great so you admit then things get back to normal.

If your going to say some things changed then please reference what has changed.
    Anyway this thread is vaccine related so we're derailing it here

I would like to reply, but you're so right, the subject have derailed, I just replied (post #3998) to a slightly off-topic post and things have gone worse, my apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭VG31

Asian people wear masks mostly because of the air pollution, not because of viruses.

I don't believe mask wearing remaining long-term would be positive at all. Being able to see people's faces and expressions is important in our society.

VG31 wrote: »
    Asian people wear masks mostly because of the air pollution, not because of viruses.

Asian people visiting a nice quiet village in Europe and wearing mask aren't protecting themselves from the pollution.
    Have you ever seen them in the airports, or during a sightseeing tour of a city?
    They say it's out of respect for others, in order not to pass any kind of disease.

I won't write anything off-topic, I promise :P

JimmyVik wrote: »
    This thread has gone from one of the most informative threads on boards to sh1t :)
    I apologize for my part in dragging it off topic.

Ha! Me too, back to vaccine news.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

There will be no normal again, there will be a new normal and we will adapt to it. Those who are very young kids now will grow up in this new norm and they won't care. For those who are older (or much older) it might be harder to adjust to a different life style.

All pandemics have led to a new normal. Most of us aren't old enough to remember what life was before the last pandemics. Most of us know this "normal", which is different to what was the "normal" before that.

I just nominated this post forward to BS of the year post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

NVRL to close for the next 2 weekends due to staffing issues

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I just nominated this post forward to BS of the year post.

If this suits you, you're welcome.

You could read some article from post pandemics and epidemics.
    If you don't want to read too old stories, the last cholera about 45 years ago left us a different life style, and nobody can deny that.
    Anyway this subject is off-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Of course. Indeed you are correct, my bad. The spanish flu certainly changed things, the roaring 20’s ..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Take it with a pinch of salt but Trump said last night we'd have a vaccine 'within weeks' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

VG31 wrote: »

Also for hay fever, especially in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Sconsey

The AZ news is not surprising, I think they had been hinting at it. But the J&J one is really good news, they had been very quiet about details on their pause. Looks like someone in the trials had a stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Sconsey wrote: »
    The AZ news is not surprising, I think they had been hinting at it. But the J&J one is really good news, they had been very quiet about details on their pause. Looks like someone in the trials had a stroke.
    Great news x2. We don't know whether vaccines themselves will solve this on their own, or more likely they will be a part of the answer, but either way having a vaccine is going to mean things are improving.

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1319746785846480897

• Advertisement

Fantastic news about J&J today. The participant had a stroke which was not linked to the vaccine itself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement