Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Circular Number: 0037/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Treppen wrote: »
    I think averages aren't correct as it assumes that you will regress if your latest mark is the highest one. .

I hope teachers aren't considering averages.

To be honest I think it depends on the student. You have some students who are consistent throughout the two years, whether that be a consistent C or a consistent A. And then you have students who take it easy in fifth year and then move up a gear in sixth year. So the upward trajectory is probably a better indication of their final grade, in line with the way they work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I think averages aren't correct as it assumes that you will regress if your latest mark is the highest one. .

I hope teachers aren't considering averages.

I'm not talking about averages. Just the silly scale in the document. The student got one B on an exam they could easily cheat on having been mostly at a D. The document also specifically rules out using the mark you think they might have a reasonable chance of achieving on a good day - that actually makes things much more difficult imo.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I've been marking papers for the SEC for 19 years, 16 of those at LC level, so ya I'd say I have a fair amount of experience of correcting LC. My previous predictions have been pretty much bang on.

Inflate does not mean err on the side of caution, it means the direct opposite. I never said this was an objective system, you've just made that up right now. And teachers have been given fair warning about including mock results in their deliberations because students can cheat the mocks.
    Sorry I got a bit emotional there. It was the wrong word choice- inflate. But I think you need to realise that the vast majority of teachers have not corrected. So you need to stop picking holes in the arguments of teachers who have not corrected and have a different subject to yours. What is your subject btw ?

He did, he edited it out of his post while I was writing mine.

I have not decided anything

Rainbow you are pontificating based on your one subject. One subject. We don't know your type of school either or your subject. I'm glad you can sit back after 19 years of correcting. Time machine time again - if only we knew we'd be put in this position we'd all have corrected for 2 decades.
    Thus taking grade avg and the students very decent mock results plus benefit of the doubt plus a possible late surge I'd say moving a student 10% up is reasonable.

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Sorry I got a bit emotional there. It was the wrong word choice- inflate. But I think you need to realise that the vast majority of teachers have not corrected. So you need to stop picking holes in the arguments of teachers who have not corrected and have a different subject to yours. What is your subject btw ?

The subject a teacher teaches is not relevant. You're going on about it taking weeks and are suggesting people are mad if they think they'll be done by the end of the week. You're suggesting giving a C to a student for whatever reasons..... but by your own admission you haven't read the documentation, which is something you really need to do. How can you comment on grading your student when you haven't read about what is entailed in the grading?

Rainbow you are pontificating based on your one subject. One subject. We don't know your type of school either or your subject. I'm glad you can sit back after 19 years of correcting. Time machine time again - if only we knew we'd be put in this position we'd all have corrected for 2 decades.
    Thus taking grade avg and the students very decent mock results plus benefit of the doubt plus a possible late surge I'd say moving a student 10% up is reasonable.

I'm not because I teach three subjects to LC. Two of them regularly and one of them occasionally. As it happens I only have one LC class this year and it's not the subject I correct. I still don't have a problem in applying the process to my students. My type of school has absolutely nothing to do with the way I calculate grades either.

To say the subject does not matter is ridiculous.But you have a point. I have not read the document but I seriously doubt it will change my views
    Yes the school matters. Middle class schools generate more data because parents are more involved.kids generate more work etc

You have clearly stated it's not objective. But be careful of thinking you know it all in however many LC subjects there are. My advice stands bang them up a few percent unless you are in the 10% or less miniority who correct regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

Agreed. Dougal, Ted and the car for the raffle come to mind.

My wife cutting my hair tonight was a bit like that...

To say the subject does not matter is ridiculous.But you have a point. I have not read the document but I seriously doubt it will change my views
    Yes the school matters. Middle class schools generate more data because parents are more involved.kids generate more work etc

You have clearly stated it's not objective. But be careful of thinking you know it all in however many LC subjects there are. My advice stands bang them up a few percent unless you are in the 10% or less miniority who correct regularly.

The application of the guidelines applies to all subjects. Schools/teachers generate data. If you choose to hold a monthly class test then you have lots of data. If you choose to hold no class tests, and only go with christmas and summer tests you have less data. You can be in any type of school and make that choice.

I have not claimed to know it all. I'm following the guidelines as they are set out. You should have a fair idea how a student will get on in their exams whether you correct or not. Teachers advise students of considering changing levels because they know a student isn't able for HL. They don't need to mark exams to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭JDMC2

Bobtheman and rainbowtrout
    Could you please create a new thread to discuss your differences?
    I'm really interested in this thread (as I was in the previous one)
    However, silly childish bickering and one-up-man-ship will result in this thread being closed if you don't stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Treppen

So is everybody clear on what they have to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Buddhas belly

Hi, hope it is ok to ask this question here? My niece is in leaving cert and she is wondering if the previous exam results from the school will affect her grade. Eg. in science and languages they have excelled in the past few years and she thinks this may boost her grade, which would be great. Is this the case or should she be more realistic regarding her grades?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Hi, hope it is ok to ask this question here? My niece is in leaving cert and she is wondering if the previous exam results from the school will affect her grade. Eg. in science and languages they have excelled in the past few years and she thinks this may boost her grade, which would be great. Is this the case or should she be more realistic regarding her grades?

I’m sure her school has provided her with all the information available already but just in case here it is
    https://www.education.ie/en/Learners/Information/State-Examinations/a-guide-to-calculated-grades-for-leaving-certificate-students-2020.pdf

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2f07eb-leaving-cert-2020-information/#information-for-leaving-cert-students

That’s it. No teacher can add anything to it for students .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

So is everybody clear on what they have to do?

A bit off topic but we can no linger discuss it anywhere else
    http://twitter.com/emma_okelly/status/1263961224347291648

Apologies to Rainbow trout but I think I was misunderstood. We all have varying levels of Data. Some have corrected at LC levels -MOST have not.
    I didn't give a huge amount of tests because my class attendance varied wildly and it was hard to get any homework from them. I had no idea this was coming-who did?
    I do have students who averaged mid 40s on Exams but got 70% in the mock. Kids often do better on the day. They would also normally have had March-May Teaching. I was making huge headway in March before this. A lot of students only really tune in the last few months.
    Thus it is not a huge leap to move a student up by 8% in their grade from 47 to 55%. It is erring on the side of caution. Also I don't take the Mock as Gospel.
    I doubt the guidelines say just use Tests-there is your professional knowledge of the student. That is allowable?
    So it's not throwing a dart at a dartboard or anything like that. But there will be random guesses no matter what anybody says.
    Because even class tests are quite random. Perhaps we should have all been forced to correct at least once but alack-alas that was not the case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Apologies to Rainbow trout but I think I was misunderstood. We all have varying levels of Data. Some have corrected at LC levels -MOST have not.
    I didn't give a huge amount of tests because my class attendance varied wildly and it was hard to get any homework from them. I had no idea this was coming-who did?
    I do have students who averaged mid 40s on Exams but got 70% in the mock. Kids often do better on the day. They would also normally have had March-May Teaching. I was making huge headway in March before this. A lot of students only really tune in the last few months.
    Thus it is not a huge leap to move a student up by 8% in their grade from 47 to 55%. It is erring on the side of caution. Also I don't take the Mock as Gospel.
    I doubt the guidelines say just use Tests-there is your professional knowledge of the student. That is allowable?
    So it's not throwing a dart at a dartboard or anything like that. But there will be random guesses no matter what anybody says.
    Because even class tests are quite random. Perhaps we should have all been forced to correct at least once but alack-alas that was not the case!

I have to agree, for harmony in music to take an example it can just ‘click’ into place for students even right up to May and instead of struggling through the question and doing poorly they suddenly are getting B’s easily. It’s a 60 mark question so has a huge impact on their overall mark.

I would give examples but I’m going to be circumspect discussing even hypothetical students going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Kids often do much better on the day but kids that average mid 40s suddenly springing something over 70 in the mocks..... I call cheats, yes one in a class of 30 may achieve this jump but I still find it extremely suspicious !! I would base my prediction closer to their average

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

It’s already been mentioned that the rsr in history has an average result of 90 odd percent. That won’t show up in class tests. So a kid might do very well in the documents and rsr, and score lower in the essays. Most class tests will not have taken either of these into account, so the mock result would be higher. I’m sure a lot of teachers don’t include the rsr in the mock result either. So an average h4 student will be brought up to a h3 once the rsr is included.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

So for maths I'm using

From vsware:
    5th year Christmas
    5th year Easter
    5th year summer
    6th year Christmas
    6th year Mock (with caution)

From teachers journal:
    All other assessments

From working with the student:
    Engagement
    Homework etc

Finally, in addition to all the above, I am applying professional judgement to help arrive at final grade.

Comprehensive enough? Opinions welcome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Blondini wrote: »
    So for maths I'm using

From vsware:
    5th year Christmas
    5th year Easter
    5th year summer
    6th year Christmas

From teachers journal:
    All other assessments

Engagement
    Homework etc

Finally, in addition to all the above, I am applying professional judgement to help arrive at final grade.

Bout all you can do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

The application of the guidelines applies to all subjects. Schools/teachers generate data. If you choose to hold a monthly class test then you have lots of data. If you choose to hold no class tests, and only go with christmas and summer tests you have less data. You can be in any type of school and make that choice.

I would question the relevance of most in-class tests as they generally test such a short range of material often recently covered and allow for only a certain type of answer. Christmas and summer tests might amount to less data but more reliable and realistic data I would say. They are also available on the school data system. Presumably any teacher who suggests using class tests they have documented will have to find some way to scan this and make it available to a school data system as students will be entitled to see what has been taken into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Purefrank128

Rosita wrote: »
    Presumably any teacher who suggests using class tests they have documented will have to find some way to scan this and make it available to a school data system as students will be entitled to see what has been taken into consideration.

What makes you think that students will be entitled to see what evidence has been taken into consideration in decided the initial school-based mark? What document suggests that?

If a student appeals the final calculated grade, he/she can see the initial school-based mark and rank, but the appeal is very limited and is essentially a check for any clerical or administrative errors. I don't see anything to suggest that students will be told how the school arrived at their marks.

Since much of the evidence is non-corporeal, i.e. teachers' professional judgement, there is no way that students could or should expect to be able to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭History Queen

So for maths I'm using

From vsware:
    5th year Christmas
    5th year Easter
    5th year summer
    6th year Christmas

From teachers journal:
    All other assessments

Engagement
    Homework etc

That's my plan too

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Buddhas belly

km79 wrote: »
    I’m sure her school has provided her with all the information available already but just in case here it is
    https://www.education.ie/en/Learners/Information/State-Examinations/a-guide-to-calculated-grades-for-leaving-certificate-students-2020.pdf

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2f07eb-leaving-cert-2020-information/#information-for-leaving-cert-students

That’s it. No teacher can add anything to it for students .

thanks for the links km9. I'll send this to her. It may clarify things further for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

So for maths I'm using

From vsware:
    5th year Christmas
    5th year Easter
    5th year summer
    6th year Christmas

From teachers journal:
    All other assessments

Engagement
    Homework etc

Would you not consider the sec results for past 3 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

paddybarry wrote: »

I’d be careful with that. Don’t feel pressured to ensure that 25% of your class get H4 , or whatever.
    Let the bell curve boys be slicing and dicing.

Not that I’m suggesting we hand out a dozen H1s, or anything!

My thinking on that is that it isn't the teachers place to do so. That's the alignment process. Maybe I've misunderstood?

My thinking on that is that it isn't the teachers place to do so. That's the alignment process. Maybe I've misunderstood?
    I would have the opposite view. Ive had same class group for past 3 years. Sec gives me a fair guide. Doing it by year also helps as ability wise this years class might be closer to 2018 for example.
    Page 13 of guidelines states that this helps informs professional judgement.

I would have the opposite view. Ive had same class group for past 3 years. Sec gives me a fair guide. Doing it by year also helps as ability wise this years class might be closer to 2018 for example.
    Page 13 of guidelines states that this helps informs professional judgement.

I see your point of view but still see it as closer to the alignment process than teachers' role. I won't be using SEC records but unlike you I don't have the same group. I've an OL English group this year, I had a HL group for the last two years.

I'm more of the opinion that my professional judgement is my own experience as a teacher and what typical performances I have seen in my career should be applied to the group I have in front of me.

• Advertisement

Some will use it, some won't.

You can argue your group this year is very similar to previous years, therefore the SEC pattern will be part of the process.

You can argue this group are not similar to previous years or other factors may have changed such as a new teacher in department etc and hence you could argue these stats are not useful.

I will use it for one of my LC subjects but not the other. I can't really go into much more detail than that tho. You can fill in the gap yourself.

Some will use it, some won't.

You can argue your group this year is very similar to previous years, therefore the SEC pattern will be part of the process.

You can argue this group are not similar to previous years or other factors may have changed such as a new teacher in department etc and hence you could argue these stats are not useful.

I will use it for one of my LC subjects but not the other. I can't really go into much more detail than that tho. You can fill in the gap yourself.
    Exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Treppen

I'd ignore any result from before Christmas 2019.

It'd be like judging the form of a racehorse by a lap he did 10 years ago.

Just the mocks to consider then in a lot of cases. Only 7 weeks of face to face teaching excluding mocks in most schools. Unlikely to have been much assessment in that timeframe and in the context of the mocks taking place.

You'd study the form before you'd back a horse :)

solerina wrote: »
    Kids often do much better on the day but kids that average mid 40s suddenly springing something over 70 in the mocks..... I call cheats, yes one in a class of 30 may achieve this jump but I still find it extremely suspicious !! I would base my prediction closer to their average

Well 55 is closer to their avg of 47 than 70. I don't think these lads would bother cheating to be honest. I did the odd hint to compensate for fact we had not finished the course.

So for maths I'm using

From vsware:
    5th year Christmas
    5th year Easter
    5th year summer
    6th year Christmas

From teachers journal:
    All other assessments

Engagement
    Homework etc

That's fair enough. I kept few personal records as half the class were total disaster for homework. Had put in a few reports but no real improvement. Had about four kids who were often obnoxious and threatening . Luckily I was able to exclude them from class from time to time or they just stopped coming in ( to school)

I would suggest some preliminary discussion with your subject peers as to what way you are all thinking. That way you can mull over their views and avoid a chaotic meeting.
    Remember nobody but the department of education can adjust Your grade.

What makes you think that students will be entitled to see what evidence has been taken into consideration in decided the initial school-based mark? What document suggests that?

If a student appeals the final calculated grade, he/she can see the initial school-based mark and rank, but the appeal is very limited and is essentially a check for any clerical or administrative errors. I don't see anything to suggest that students will be told how the school arrived at their marks.

Since much of the evidence is non-corporeal, i.e. teachers' professional judgement, there is no way that students could or should expect to be able to see it.

This is insane. Any student prepared to challenged this will drive a coach and four (with the words GDPR written on the side) through the make-it-up-as-we-go-along-and-change-as-soon-as-we-are-challenged system.

The results are the student's, not the teacher's, not the Principal's, not the Dept of Education's. Any teacher worth their salt should not have a problem explaining where they came up with results and judgements and would be well advised to be ready to do so.

It is in the nature of the Irish public service to be secretive but that won't wash in this situation. Schools will not be in a position to be fudge this one and say students are not entitled to their own information. That's like saying you can't have your own school report.

This is insane. Any student prepared to challenged this will drive a coach and four (with the words GDPR written on the side) through the make-it-up-as-we-go-along-and-change-as-soon-as-we-are-challenged system.

The results are the student's, not the teacher's, not the Principal's, not the Dept of Education's. Any teacher worth their salt should not have a problem explaining where they came up with results and judgements and would be well advised to be ready to do so.

It is in the nature of the Irish public service to be secretive but that won't wash in this situation. Schools will not be in a position to be fudge this one and say students are not entitled to their own information. That's like saying you can't have your own school report.

I’m not sure I agree with that. If that’s the case ‘professional judgement’ goes out the window. You’re essentially saying all evidence has to be tangible and quantifiable.
    How do you put a percentage on an opinion?

• Advertisement

Letting students see the ranking is also unwise. Diligent Denis aghast at not making the top 10 while lazy Lorraine is perched in 8th place.
    A recipe for disaster.
    Either trust teachers or don’t.The student has the opportunity to resit any exam they’re not happy with.

I’m not sure I agree with that. If that’s the case ‘professional judgement’ goes out the window. You’re essentially saying all evidence has to be tangible and quantifiable.
    How do you put a percentage on an opinion?

Professional judgement doesn't go out the window. It will just need to be overtly defensible if required, and not shrouded in secrecy.

But how do you prove professional judgement? The document clearly distinguishes between evidence, and records of evidence. All relevant evidence is to be used, whether a record exists or not.

Letting students see the ranking is also unwise. Diligent Denis aghast at not making the top 10 while lazy Lorraine is perched in 8th place.
    A recipe for disaster.
    Either trust teachers or don’t.The student has the opportunity to resit any exam they’re not happy with.

I do not see point of the ranking from the student's perspective. No doubt it's to be used by the DES in some statistical trickery but I don't see what value it is to a student and risks being an irritation to students.

But how do you prove professional judgement? The document clearly distinguishes between evidence, and records of evidence. All relevant evidence is to be used, whether a record exists or not.

You don't prove it. It's not a matter of fact and not subject to proof. You demonstrate how it was arrived at and what the judgement was based on and prove that it was reasonable and rational. It's standard stuff for teachers who do it all the time. The stakes are just a little higher now that's all.

You don't prove it. It's not a matter of fact and not subject to proof. You demonstrate how it was arrived at and what the judgement was based on and prove that it was reasonable and rational. It's standard stuff for teachers who do it all the time. The stakes are just a little higher now that's all.

I'm well aware what's standard practice, thanks. The poster stated that students couldn't expect to see non-corporeal evidence. You say it has to be overtly defensible. I'm asking how? It is clear even on this thread that what one teacher considers reasonable and rational is considered unacceptable to others. If the student is going to be able to challenge professional judgement, which is not based on any agreed guidelines or standard procedures, then I think your belief that this will be simply a matter of explanation is naive.

I appreciate your concerns. All valid. Look we know this is a hobbled together process. A kid taking legal action will be rare especially given they have the chance to take a re sit . I'm fortunate in that I can't see any of my class protesting plus so long as you are not way below their grades avg they don't have a huge amount to complain about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Tensions are rising here.

I have a few students who I will have to fail, based on available evidence.

I have a maths department meeting tomorrow off which I'm the lead.
    We can see each other's results according to the guidelines.

If I feel they were too lenient or too strict, do I adjust accordingly.

You say it has to be overtly defensible. I'm asking how?

Lawyers will probably advise on that in due course. But the idea that someone could potentially pull a mark out if their rear end and not have it capable of being challenged is fanciful.

• Advertisement

Lawyers will probably advise on that in due course. But the idea that someone could potentially pull a mark out if their rear end and not have it capable of being challenged is fanciful.

Are you aware of the other stages of the process?
    Tha alignment meeting?
    The Principal’s role?
    Nobody will be pulling results out of their rear end.

Advertisement