Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink driving? Is it really that bad?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

I reckon driving tired is way more dangerous than driving drunk if you're sensible when you're drunk and not completely ****faced.

Balanadan wrote: »
    I reckon driving tired is way more dangerous than driving drunk if you're sensible when you're drunk and not completely ****faced.

There is no doubt about it that driving tired is much worse than a few pints. Driving while very tired totally takes you over you are doing everything in your power to keep your eyes open and not nod off and people drive like this all the time without a second thought.

Driving after 2/3 pints feels just fine in comparison, you are perfectly aware and well able to drive in comparison to tiredness.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I'm not convinced the recent lower limits are needed.

I think it was a mistake to focus on a legislative option of the recent lower limits as against the loopholes which meant something like 50% of
    people who failed tests on the old higher limit escaped.

So now we have a crap shoot where you have people who failed tests on higher blood alcohol levels getting off scot free; and people who failed on lower levels getting points etc.

I think proper enforcement of the old limits would have been a contribution to road safety; this is more of a quick political act at the stroke of a pen to be seen to be doing something without providing any more resources, or tackling court issues.

A common misconception that limits were reduced following the changes implemented last year. The limit stayed the same at blood alcohol level of 50mg for experienced drivers, that limit was actually introduced in 2011. Although, the limit was reduced for learner drivers and professional drivers in 2018, at a blood alcohol level of 20mg.

It was the penalties for being caught over the limit that were significantly increased.

I only wish the Government addressed the hospital treatment waiting lists scandal with similar gusto, as there are over 700,000 people currently waiting to see a consultant in the public system. No doubt plenty of elderly and sick die waiting for treatment.

Why isn't there an RSA type of body for the public hospitals and constant adverts showing the horrors of the public health system with comparisons done with the various hospitals - the blatant hypocrisy is sickening. By the way, I'm in favour of anti-drink driving measures and legislation, I just get frustrated over the significant deficiencies in our health system.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

Oh lol. I've seen the **** that passes for road etiquette in Thailand and neighbouring countries. You can only be lucky so many times.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

True, I have driven extensively all over South East Asia, completely different experience to western roads. China being by far the worst.

The difference between somebody cutting into your lane and waiting for you to pass before initiating their lane changing maneuver is dependent on who is first across an imaginary horizontal line drawn the road between both motors.

It is a bit mad but I actually like the style of driving, never a dull moment :-)

Life itself is a stupid game; everybody starts from the same place, plays the game based on their own interpretation of the rules and regardless of how successful one is at the game we all win the same stupid prize in the end; we get to rot in the ground forever.

I'll die sometime for sure, so will you. If I die today I shall do so with no regrets and a full fu*kin' heart :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

There's a certain type of bogger who thinks drink driving is "cool" and boast with their mates about how much drink they can "hold". These monkeys always drive everywhere at max rally speed, tailgating and bullying their way around, making other drivers far more likely to have accidents. They then slag the **** out of eachother down the pub for driving slow which to them is only for pussies. They are yen make sure their loud guffaws reverberate throughout the pub.

They're the worst example of boorish unrefined bogger Ireland. "Big thick ignorant ****ers" some bogmeisters would call them, although ignorant means "ignores people" in the bogger dictionary whereas the real meaning is "to not know something"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Anyone who thinks it’s ok to drink and drive has obviously never been at the scene of an accident caused by a drink driver. Maybe if they saw a woman trapped in her car screaming because her arm has been almost ripped off and is hanging on by a piece of muscle they just might change their mind. An ambulance takes a very long time to arrive and there’s nothing anyone can do.

or if they had to identify their mother in the mortuary with her head smashed in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Apparently I've just been reported. The only thing is never said what was in the pints.

So you are trolling then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

There is no doubt about it that driving tired is much worse than a few pints. Driving while very tired totally takes you over you are doing everything in your power to keep your eyes open and not nod off and people drive like this all the time without a second thought.

Driving after 2/3 pints feels just fine in comparison, you are perfectly aware and well able to drive in comparison to tiredness.

I'd be inclined to agree depending on what you mean by a few pints and how far/ how familiar they are with the roads they are driving home on.

But the RSA or the Gardai can't test for tiredness and therein lies the problem. They can seize on a yardstick on alcohol, it's a target that's enforcable. They could also ban drivers automatically for using mobile phones when driving, but won't as the roads would empty..

What I can't understand though why the RSA is not cracking down big time on those who drive without insurance. By some accounts could be 1 in 5 drivers you encounter? Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Drink driving and driving when texting is lethal and so selfish . To think someone’s selfishness could ruin someone’s life forever . was nearly hit by a presumed drink driver last year that was on wrong side of road. The car was going so fast and it’s head lights were coming straight for us It swerved in at the last second.

Was stuck behind drunk driver yesterday on a busy road at a time people and families were heading home after nice fun day in sun. the driver was indicating taking bends, overcompensating when cars where approaching, crossing continuous white line and driving erratically . I called gaurds which is something I don’t generally do but this person was all over the road and was going to cause an accident. hopefully they arrested the person as the car turned into a very built up area. Texting and driving is just as bad

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It's fairly bad if you have lost someone due to drink driving alright, yeah.
    But drunk drivers don't bother thinking about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Igotadose wrote: »
    I'm from the US. Designated driver's a thing. Driving after a few is frowned upon. MADD's done a good job.

Laugh back at your dangerous companions. They're living the 99% life - 99% of the time, they get away with sh1t. But if they hit the 100%... look out below

Not my experience.... from what I have seen in multiple states, they are pretty casual on drinking and driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Crock Rock wrote: »
    Drink driving? Is it really that bad?
    Discuss.

Yes it bloody well is, specially if you're plastered and mounting pavements at 3am with the risk of knocking down unsuspecting pedestrians, or crashing headlong into incoming traffic!

Drink Driving is stupid and irresponsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,976 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Crock Rock wrote: »
    I live rurally, last night my friend had 3 and a half pints and my friend had 11 and he drove us home. I got there in one piece and so did he.

The new limits are stupid and overrestrictive. No one crashed after 3 or 4 pints. Let's restore the old limit of 0.08 %.

Discuss.

11 pints? Your mate is an prick that's ridiculous like.

Drink driving is the absolute worst.

Advertisement