Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink driving? Is it really that bad?

Options
  • 30-06-2019 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

I live rurally, last night my friend had 3 and a half pints and my friend had 11 and he drove us home. I got there in one piece and so did he.

The new limits are stupid and overrestrictive. No one crashed after 3 or 4 pints. Let's restore the old limit of 0.08 %.

Discuss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

Hi Danny, welcome to Boards. Nice to see they rolled out the rural broadband to Kilgarvan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I had 13 pints last night and drove home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Drivers should be breathalyzed on their test and whatever their BAC is they should be allowed drive below that limit forever more.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,453 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Crock Rock wrote: »
    I live rurally, last night my friend had 3 and a half pints and my friend had 11 and he drove us home. I got there in one piece This time and so did he.

The new limits are stupid and overrestrictive. No one crashed after 3 or 4 pints. Let's restore the old limit of 0.08 %.

Discuss.

Fixed that for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

Is would be interesting to get a breakdown of accidents by BAC. I've always wondered how many accidents were caused by drivers in the 0.05-0.08% range, and whether it justified the lower limits. As the RSA hasn't released this information, a suspicious person might think that the legislation is not evidence-based.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

11 pints seems excessive....most people prob be ok to drive slowly with 3 to 4 pints (i wouldnt,wicked lightweight,but depends on person i guess)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Ah lads give it up [drink driving] you'll ruin someones life or your own, you can't be lucky all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If I have to drive after more than 7 pints I take some cocaine, it wakes me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

It is

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Speed kills, speed and drink definitely kills

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

If acceptable, Id like to tack on an anti-immigration rant to this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Febreeze

Say all that in court after someone got knocked down and potentionally killed. See how the judge reacts and then you'll know why these rules are set in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

I could drive after 8 or 9 pints still but never have

Absolute nanny state we live in u can't even have 1 and ur pulled the next morning

Andrew00 wrote: »
    I could drive after 8 or 9 pints still.

Absolute nanny state we live in u can't even have 1 and ur pulled the next morning

You'd want to get real. You might have little regard for your own safety, but don't needlessly endanger others.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,453 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Yes, you could drive after 8 or 9 pints.

The issue is you wouldn't be able to drive safely and you would be a hazard to yourself and others!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

When I was drinking regularly, 3 or 4 pints and I'd be fine to drive, but I wouldn't have.
    Now, 3 or 4 pints and I wouldn't be anywhere close to safe to drive.
    Assuming I have the same blood alcohol level then and now, I can see why really low levels are required as you can't legislate for different people

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Crock Rock wrote: »
    I live rurally, last night my friend had 3 and a half pints and my friend had 11 and he drove us home. I got there in one piece and so did he.

Discuss.

The other friend not make it?

People think that drink driving is a joke and makes them the big guy if the get away with it[some here] it's someone's life your ruining and their family's as well, can you face everyday knowing you've killed on maimed someone, well worth a second thought before you do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Anyone who thinks it’s ok to drink and drive has obviously never been at the scene of an accident caused by a drink driver. Maybe if they saw a woman trapped in her car screaming because her arm has been almost ripped off and is hanging on by a piece of muscle they just might change their mind. An ambulance takes a very long time to arrive and there’s nothing anyone can do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

problem is the public road doesn't belong to you, it's also being used by those you think it's ok to kill and mame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

The graveyards of this country all have graves of people who thought they were "fine" to drive or their victims. The Guards dont hammer half enough of them. I came across a Garda checkpoint outside Mallow Friday night. Told them I was delighted to see them out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I hope they were pleased to hear that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Edgware wrote: »
    The graveyards of this country all have graves of people who thought they were "fine" to drive or their victims. The Guards dont hammer half enough of them. I came across a Garda checkpoint outside Mallow Friday night. Told them I was delighted to see them out

Ah, but sure that’s only a money making scheme or something.

Anyone who drives home after 8/9 pints is a crap human. And it’s not a Dublin v Rural thing. It’s a decent person v scumbag thing.

Only an absolute ***t drinks and drives these days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Driving with any kind of impairment carries a lot of risk and can result in death. that might be having drink taken, taking on the phone, texting, checking facebook, doing your makeup, being distracted by kids, not wearing a seatbelt, driving like a dick or whatever. You might get away with it 99 times out of a 100 but that 1 time can ruin your or someone else's life, why take the risk???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Never mind drink driving,.they should ban alcohol altogether and introduce prohibition...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

To me drink driving is one of the most selfish and stupid things you could do right up there with driving under the influence of drugs or whilst looking at your phone.

It’s bad enough that the OP has scant regard for his own safety but to turn a blind to the safety of other road users - how selfish can you be?

Never mind drink driving,.they should ban alcohol altogether and introduce prohibition...

NOooooooo:(

decky1 wrote: »
    Ah lads give it up [drink driving] you'll ruin someones life or your own, you can't be lucky all the time.

Yeah, making light of drink driving is "fun" apparently in the stupid culture of romanticising alcohol which still exists in nether regions of Ireland and of After Hours in 2019.

People who have an alcohol/drug problem and have the strength of character to sort it out before they destroy any more lives have my deepest respect. However, I've zero tolerance for the "Isn't drinking loads of alcohol so cool" cúnts who endanger other lives. Likewise for the people who entertain their sob stories after they are brought to court for killing innocent people. There have been so, so many examples of drink drivers killing people in recent years nobody can claim ignorance. Like 4-year-old Ciarán Treacy in Port Laoise in 2014 killed by somebody who got in his car after drinking 8-10 pints of cider. He got 6 years in prison for what he did to that family. He's probably free now.
    Alcohol is a factor in 38% of fatal crashes, and any amount of it impairs driving and increases the risk of a collision. This is not an opinion, it’s a scientific fact.... An average of 180 drivers were arrested each week in 2017 on suspicion of driving under the influence, while enforcement statistics for the first nine months of 2018 show more than 6,562 motorists arrested for driving under the influence.(Source: Drink driving in Ireland (2018))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

My dad and his best friend were hit by a drunk driver, they were pedestrians. My dad was in hospital for 2 months because his liver had a tear and his friend died on the scene.
    So no, I don't think it is even remotely cool.

If you wanna go have drinks with your friends designate a driver and have a rotation.

Advertisement