Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink driving? Is it really that bad?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I'd like to know the statistics with regard to people on medication.

I'd also like to know the statistics on the lower limit. Does it save lives or not?

Drink driving is absolutely obviously wrong. But are the limits so low that you could fail the breathalyser test because you used mouthwash, or had a cake with alcohol in it, or that kind of thing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Crock Rock wrote:
    Discuss.

Drink driving is idiotic, irresponsible and selfish.

Anyone that partakes is a grade A moron.

/Discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 20,764 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I'd also like to know the statistics on the lower limit. Does it save lives or not?

Drink driving is absolutely obviously wrong. But are the limits so low that you could fail the breathalyser test because you used mouthwash, or had a cake with alcohol in it, or that kind of thing.

I think the statistics would be fairly meaningless. For every driver caught over any limit, there would be thousands more never caught. Just as with speed limits.

But if you compare with the old days when drink driving was acceptable, the numbers getting killed and injured now is way down. Used to be over 600 fatalities some years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Lackey wrote: »
    No it’s not ‘grand’

tis boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

tis boy.

Tis not. And tisn't humorous nor tough guy either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I have 15 pints and reverse the car home. You can only go so fast in reverse, nice and safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

If you're trolling, it's a pretty lame attempt.

If you're serious, you're in need of a clip around the ear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

It's true - people should be able to drive after a feed of pints. Not allowing them is: nanny state, political correctness gone mad, snowflake culture, and... what's the other one? Oh yeah, virtue signalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

The problem I have is the professional drivers. how one is treated the same in the eyes of the law as someone whos had 15 pints and drives on home. A lad getting caught next day (remember commercial is professional driver therefore 20mg) and getting 3 months off the road is no ****ing use to anyone or the state.. FINE the shiote out of them, let them keep their license for the first offense (in the 20 to 50 bracket) no man wants to be out of work.

Opposed to the lad who sinks 10 pints in 3 hours and goes up the road home. **** them.

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Old Pàidigir Lostigan and the wonky walk homes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭firemansam4

It's not as simple as just saying Dont drink and drive the night you go out drinking.
    Sometimes you have to think about when you will actually be fit to drive the next day after having a heavy night's drinking.
    Not just simply thinking that you can't drive the next morning.

It takes about 1 hour to sober up from a standard unit of alcohol (about 2 hours for a pint of beer) , so if you have 12 pints of beer from let's say 10pm to 3am then you will probably not actually be sober enough to drive until 10pm the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I am not sure what you would call somebody who drinks and drives, then boasts about it.

A wanker.

It's not as simple as just saying Dont drink and drive the night you go out drinking.
    Sometimes you have to think about when you will actually be fit to drive the next day after having a heavy night's drinking.
    Not just simply thinking that you can't drive the next morning.

It takes about 1 hour to sober up from a standard unit of alcohol (about 2 hours for a pint of beer) , so if you have 12 pints of beer from let's say 10pm to 3am then you will probably not actually be sober enough to drive until 10pm the next day.

True, and ultimately a large number of people are just saying they won't drink if they must go out so the morning alcohol checks are resulting in people not drinking at all, rather than drinking and getting a taxi home. It's no wonder the mouthpieces of the drinks/publican industry in the Oireachtas were just 6 months ago calling for an end to these morning checks as they were allegedly "an attack on rural Ireland" - as if most people in rural Ireland think it's acceptable to drive while above the legal limit.

I wish vast swathes of Irish society would grow up in their attitude to alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think some people believe they are ok to drive because they can walk reasonably well and would manage to drive on the correct side of the road after 6 or 7 pints.
    Certainly in a controlled environment, I could drive a car along a road and manoeuvre it reasonably well at a slow speed after 6 or 7 pints.
    The problem is that the roads are not a controlled environment. It is the ability to react in an emergency that is hit by alcohol and as such driving with drink cannot ever be acceptable.
    A child runs out in front of your car..... Would you have avoided them sober? That is not a question you want to be asking yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

The cost of losing ur license in rural Ireland is crippling

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    The cost of losing ur license in rural Ireland is crippling

Yeah so is having your brains scattered across the road.

If ur license is so important to you then how about you make the gargantuan sacrifice of not putting booze down your gob on that occasion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

You won't get statistics on fatal accidents where the driver had a BAC level between 50 and 80 because they don't support the argument for the lower level. From memory a coroner in the west requested such stats back around 2008 when the lower limit was being introduced and was shouted down with the same grandstanding you see all over this thread.

That said I believe the lower limit does save lives. Not because people have 2 pints and crash so much as because they're liable to have a lot more pints after the first 2 or 3. We had a terrible drink driving problem for decades and the only way to change it was with a range of harsh measures that may individually be criticised as overkill but collectively changed the culture so that even the thickest eejit probably won't drink drive anymore. Nowadays as a problem it's much reduced and probably focused on too much by the RSA et al while other wilfully dangerous driving like running reds at speed and mobile use at the wheel is ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Im driving 10 years and never been breath tested. I never drink and drive anyway. Its not that id be afraid of getting caught just that id be afraid i might kill someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Zillah wrote: »
    Yeah so is having your brains scattered across the road.

If ur license is so important to you then how about you make the gargantuan sacrifice of not putting booze down your gob on that occasion?

Because:

tumblr_m3u6s45p1D1qbyihao2_500.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Andrew00 wrote: »
    I could drive after 8 or 9 pints still.

Absolute nanny state we live in u can't even have 1 and ur pulled the next morning

We've an absolute rake of nanny state problems in this country.

52% tax on everything over 35k, minimum drink pricing imminent, RTÉ in general, speed limits 10km/h lower on average than every other civilised country in the world and Shane Ross's continued existence for examples.

Drink driving isn't one of them. With the exception of downtrodden backwaters with fascists in charge, every country bans drink driving. Yes it's mildly inconvenient not to be able to driver after a few jars but it makes perfect sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

They were giving out about the no smoking {Micheal Martin}.
    Try to buy a pint for less than a tenner in Norway or Sweden or Denmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

Currently lying in bed in Thailand nursing an extreme hangover after an all day drinking session yesterday. Drove back to the hotel last night, approximately 40 minutes journey, mixture of country and motorway class roads. Absolutely no incidents as I just staying in my lane, drove at appropriate speeds etc...

All the Thai's in attendance drove home too. Everybody drink drives here even though it is also illegal. Interesting to witness how much the average Irish Joe's mind has changed (been changed) over the last decade or so regarding road safety.

I am not advocating we have everyone driving around bladdered all the time but if society become so risk adverse that a guy/girl can't have a beer or two and drive home then what is the point of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Crock Rock wrote: »
    I live rurally, last night my friend had 3 and a half pints and my friend had 11 and he drove us home. I got there in one piece and so did he.

The new limits are stupid and overrestrictive. No one crashed after 3 or 4 pints. Let's restore the old limit of 0.08 %.

Discuss.

It's really bad if you kill someone. And you will never forgive yourself and regret you ever had such thoughts.

You can live without drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

Currently lying in bed in Thailand nursing an extreme hangover after an all day drinking session yesterday. Drove back to the hotel last night, approximately 40 minutes journey, mixture of country and motorway class roads. Absolutely no incidents as I just staying in my lane, drove at appropriate speeds etc...

All the Thai's in attendance drove home too. Everybody drink drives here even though it is also illegal. Interesting to witness how much the average Irish Joe's mind has changed (been changed) over the last decade or so regarding road safety.

I am not advocating we have everyone driving around bladdered all the time but if society become so risk adverse that a guy/girl can't have a beer or two and drive home then what is the point of life.
    Would you drive
    your TukTuk home after a feed of
    drink on the M 50?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

My parents live ruraly and theres a little rural pub in a village close by there house, there are regularly people drink driving on the roads at night. The amount of serious accidents that have happened is frightening, a young guy on his motorbike hit an electricity pole and died, another young lad drove straight into a tree, killed himself and his friend in the passenger seat, a car overturned outside my parents house, a car crashed into their back garden once, someone else crashed into the side of the house, all of them were drink drivers.

It only takes a second for an accident to happen and not only are you putting your own life at risk, youre endangering other peoples lives too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Thailand has the second highest road traffic fatality rate in the world at 36.2 per 100 000 with an annual estimate of over 24 000 deaths or 66 deaths every day

Ireland has the 4th safest roads in Europe with a road traffic fatality rate of 4.2 per 100,000.

The point of life is living. Not requiring a paramedic to pick bits off you off the side of the road because you or another luder can't manage to leave the gargle alone. A fact that the odds of you finding out the hard way are very good if you keep joining in with the locals and their night time Russian roulette.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

A lad and his girlfriend drive to a pub of an evening. At closing time they leave and drive home. On way home they pass a squad car. The driver panics and floors it. Shortly after he crashes at speed into a pole. Gardai are first on the scene. Both are seriously injured.
    Girl recovers but driver suffered spinal injury and is paralysed from the neck down. Six months later locals organised several charity events for yer man. I was asked to participate in an event by someone on the community events committee. Told him I had no intention of paying for lawbreakers medical bills. They got plenty grief from locals complaining about the same. That said they still managed to raise over 25k.
    I wonder did all the contributors know the whole story?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭votecounts

Arguably the stupidest post I have read in a while, you realise that a lot of people die or get injured as a result of drunk drivers such as yourself in Thailand.
    Anyone who drinks and drives is an idiot, just have lemonade, coffee, water or a non alcohol beer, simples

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Oh lol. I've seen the **** that passes for road etiquette in Thailand and neighbouring countries. You can only be lucky so many times.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Advertisement