Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink driving? Is it really that bad?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

There's a huge emphasis on anti drink driving, which is good, but next to none on drug driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

You'd see some of the aul lads nowadays driving home in the tractor or car after 13 or 14 pints in the local rural pub. Shocking stuff all together

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Andrew00 wrote: »
    You'd see some of the aul lads nowadays driving home in the tractor or car after 13 or 14 pints in the local rural pub. Shocking stuff all together

13 or 14, surely auld lads drink 23 or 24 ?

Yes, you could drive after 8 or 9 pints.

The issue is you wouldn't be able to drive safely and you would be a hazard to yourself and others!

Never mind himself. Let all these "people who are fond of the drink" (usually known as 'alcoholics' outside Ireland) do what they like to themselves in the privacy of their own homes. "Free choice" and all that. Just protect the rest of us from their exercise of that "free choice".

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Hopefully when they do have an accident they are the only ones to get injured/killed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Drink driving is idiotic. There's no excuse for it.

I am not sure what you would call somebody who drinks and drives, then boasts about it.

People killing themselves on the roads while drunk, zero pity. However, that's not a guarantee and the same scumbag will kill innocent people going about their daily lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Nobelium wrote: »
    There's a huge emphasis on anti drink driving, which is good, but next to none on drug driving.

This is true, especially when it comes to medication making people drowsy. That's no joke either.
    Some probably comes from the expectation that people have to be in work under all circumstances which forces people taking their meds I order to make it through the day if they feel crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Clareman wrote: »
    Driving with any kind of impairment carries a lot of risk and can result in death. that might be having drink taken, taking on the phone, texting, checking facebook, doing your makeup, being distracted by kids, not wearing a seatbelt, driving like a dick or whatever. You might get away with it 99 times out of a 100 but that 1 time can ruin your or someone else's life, why take the risk???

When you stop texting or doing make up you will be fit to drive. Stupid things to do and probably illegal and they cause accidents. But not the same as being impaired from alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,800 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I could drive after 8 or 9 pints still.

Absolute nanny state we live in u can't even have 1 and ur pulled the next morning

Cool, if it's a choice, I'll happily go with the nanny state thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Drink driving: No unless you have 1 pint and wait at least 90 minutes before driving.
    I've rank on 5 pints before. Around a town, went into a mcdonalds drive thru, garda car followed me around the ring road but didn't stop me. Doubt they noticed anything.
    Not proud of that.

Driving after smoking weed: Grand unless you're absolutely blazed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,768 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Ara I'd have about 45 pints in 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw1HavgoK9E

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i love going around trying to kill people when drunk
    it makes me really cool and anti establishment

• Registered Users Posts: 24,929 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Problem is, if you are allowed say one pint, it will encourage people to head to the pub with the car, having every intention of having just the ‘one’. The difficulty is when knucklehead mates are buying another one, encouraging you ‘sure you’ll be grand, two pints over two hours will you come on!’ You go for a hit and miss and some other twat is throwing a vodka into that second pint, acting the maggot then on the way home when you are driving, visibility isn’t great, roads slippy, the drinkers acting the maggot with you from the back... it’s just not a good mix.

Drinking, leave the car at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,800 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

bluewolf wrote: »
    i love going around trying to kill people when drunk
    it makes me really cool and anti establishment

You forget edgy

The key to being really edgy is come up with something along the lines of "hey man, drink-driving isn't so bad", oohh

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Anyone caught driving after drinking 11 pints should be given a substantial jail sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If I had 10 pints, I would have a certain type of drunkenness after 3 or 4. If I still had the equivalent of 3 or 4 in my system the next day, it would not feel like the same sort of drunkenness. Science and research probably says both are equally impairing for driving?

I have the impression that the Gardai started checking drivers outside Sunday Mass for a while, to have a go at the politicians who brought in the new limits. It will probably not be sustained

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Deedsie wrote: »
    Young lad killed in a crash just outside Nenagh last night. <snip>. RIP. But drink driving isnt that bad apparently.

Beyond stupid thing to do.

Says nothing about driver being intoxicated in the papers. Doubt if he was it would have been released yet,yet you say he was. Have you a source in the morgue ?

Only time I've ever driven after drink was when I had 2 pints over about 3 hours so would have been under the limit in the North. Was driving back and it started spitting rain and I was trying to figure out if I had a chip on the windscreen. Pulled over a couple of minutes later for food and couple of smokes before setting off again. Not worth it.

Strumms wrote: »
    Problem is, if you are allowed say one pint, it will encourage people to head to the pub with the car, having every intention of having just the ‘one’. The difficulty is when knucklehead mates are buying another one, encouraging you ‘sure you’ll be grand, two pints over two hours will you come on!’ You go for a hit and miss and some other twat is throwing a vodka into that second pint, acting the maggot then on the way home when you are driving, visibility isn’t great, roads slippy, the drinkers acting the maggot with you from the back... it’s just not a good mix.

Drinking, leave the car at home.

You are allowed one pint, most people would be unlucky to be over the limit after two in reality if they spend any time drinking them at all. Many could even drink 3 over a few hours and be under.

The rule change was idiotic, limit should have been left at 80, even worse it’s now a ban over 50. Absolutely nobody with 2 or 3 pints is causing any danger on the roads and the outrage by many is silly really. A man should be allowed to have his 2 or 3 pints and drive home (everyone is at it anyway out my part of the county anyway) and let the guards worry about catching the people driving after 10+ pints or committing actual crimes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Crock Rock wrote:
    I live rurally,
    last night my friend had 3 and a half pints
    and my friend had 11 and he drove us home.

I got there in one piece and so did he.

What happened to the guy who had the three and a half pints if only two of you got home??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

We're the only country in the world trying to legalise drink driving......... But only for country people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Driving is difficult enough in this country with many poor roads, poor or no lighting, insane speed limits on rural and built up areas, bad or under-qualified drivers, animals on the road, terrible weather, pedestrian that either don't know rules or can't be seen due to dark clothes without adding in the effects of alcohol. And yes even one pint can have effect on driving as simulated experiments have shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Crock Rock wrote: »
    I live rurally, last night my friend had 3 and a half pints and my friend had 11 and he drove us home. I got there in one piece and so did he.

The new limits are stupid and overrestrictive. No one crashed after 3 or 4 pints. Let's restore the old limit of 0.08 %.

Discuss.

It gets discussed on a regular basis.

Come back and discuss it after a drunk driver ploughs into the rear of the car carrying two of your children and puts them and an adult in hospital.
    Anyone caught drink driving should have their car taken off them and crushed, preferably with them in it.
    These days anyone drinking and driving is a selfish fcuking retard, so fcuk them, their car, their license, their income and anyone else who condones it. And that goes for anyone driving while stoned as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

If people were honest they'd admit that even after one pint their judgement is somewhat impaired and that little amount could mean the difference between reacting to safe someone's life, perhaps even your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I

Absolute nanny state we live in u can't even have 1 and ur pulled the next morning

What are you drinking, pints of Absinth?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Nobelium wrote: »

Apart from the ads on the radio and the constant tweets by the gardai you mean?

Nearly sure I've seen print ads too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I’d delete this. Unless you know for sure the particulars of the tragic accident it’s probably best not to speculate/comment on a public forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

No it’s not ‘grand’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Maybe the alcohol limits should just be recommendations.

Advertisement