Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drink driving? Is it really that bad?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

GMSA wrote: »
    A lad and his girlfriend drive to a pub of an evening. At closing time they leave and drive home. On way home they pass a squad car. The driver panics and floors it. Shortly after he crashes at speed into a pole. Gardai are first on the scene. Both are seriously injured.
    Girl recovers but driver suffered spinal injury and is paralysed from the neck down. Six months later locals organised several charity events for yer man. I was asked to participate in an event by someone on the community events committee. Told him I had no intention of paying for lawbreakers medical bills. They got plenty grief from locals complaining about the same. That said they still managed to raise over 25k.
    I wonder did all the contributors know the whole story?

That's actually quite interesting. The ironic thing about it is that if the girl had died there would have been zero funds raised and zero attempt made to do so and he would be castigated by the majority. Instead he obviously has the sympathy of a lot of people despite his crime being exactly the same albeit with a lucky result in relation to not killing the girlfriend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I know too many people who have had their families made smaller by drink drivers. I dont really care of it happens in the minority of cases or not - ending someone elses life so that you can have a pint (in any circumstances) isnt worth it; and especially so in the case of having a pint and getting home quickly and/or cheaply in your own car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Lots of us would be well capable of driving home after 2 or 3 pints. Wouldn't even register.
    The problem is lots of us isn't everyone. People can have a low tolerance for alcohol, can be tired, can be prone to a heavy right foot or worst of all be poor at maths, so just "a quick one then home" becomes 4 or 5.

There are too many idiots in the world and most of them own a car. So it has to be zero tolerance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Another thing is the publicans disregard for closing times. Passed 2 pubs last Wednesday night. 4or 5 cars outside each. Passed one at 01.15 and 3 lads chatting over the bonnet of a car. I know one of them. Tradesman and a martyr for porter. His van appeared outside the pub about 10.45. I passed at 1.15 . It was gone 20 mins later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

In my younger days I saw nothing wrong with drink driving, night on the p1ss and drive home regularly after 10+ beers and shots etc. The car got me home on more than one occasion.

Luckily as I got older I saw sense and don't do it anymore. Too much enforcement rurally now, that was what made me stop. I have probably driven well over 10k km drunk. No accidents, all down rural boreens. But now with police at every corner it's not worth the risk of losing my license.

Another thing is the publicans disregard for closing times. Passed 2 pubs last Wednesday night. 4or 5 cars outside each. Passed one at 01.15 and 3 lads chatting over the bonnet of a car. I know one of them. Tradesman and a martyr for porter. His van appeared outside the pub about 10.45. I passed at 1.15 . It was gone 20 mins later.

"one for the road" and drive home is not unusual out the country. Happens every weekend night in north meath. I see it, as I'm waiting for my (sober) lift home. Pub car park empties after closing time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,289 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I'm not convinced the recent lower limits are needed.

I think it was a mistake to focus on a legislative option of the recent lower limits as against the loopholes which meant something like 50% of
    people who failed tests on the old higher limit escaped.

So now we have a crap shoot where you have people who failed tests on higher blood alcohol levels getting off scot free; and people who failed on lower levels getting points etc.

I think proper enforcement of the old limits would have been a contribution to road safety; this is more of a quick political act at the stroke of a pen to be seen to be doing something without providing any more resources, or tackling court issues.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I have 15 pints and reverse the car home. You can only go so fast in reverse, nice and safe.

That's what I'd call really backwards thinking! ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

It is ba-ba-ba-bad to the bone my friend ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

I think people need to cop on. If you feel the need to drink, arrange a lift home, or have a club orange. To my shame I was once caught drink driving. Completely needless, 4am in the morning and a mile-long journey. I was pulled over yards from the house. Valuable lesson learned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

ELM327 wrote: »
    In my younger days I saw nothing wrong with drink driving, night on the p1ss and drive home regularly after 10+ beers and shots etc. The car got me home on more than one occasion.

Luckily as I got older I saw sense and don't do it anymore. Too much enforcement rurally now, that was what made me stop. I have probably driven well over 10k km drunk. No accidents, all down rural boreens. But now with police at every corner it's not worth the risk of losing my license.

Honestly if that's what made you stop then I don't think you've seen much sense at all. The risk of killing people due to the stupidity of it should be what makes you stop, not potentially getting caught by the police.

At least I'm honest :P

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭WengerOutIn

Crock Rock wrote: »
    I live rurally, last night my friend had 3 and a half pints and my friend had 11 and he drove us home. I got there in one piece and so did he.

The new limits are stupid and overrestrictive. No one crashed after 3 or 4 pints. Let's restore the old limit of 0.08 %.

Discuss.

I can only assume that you are taking the literal and metaphorical piss.

Insert inflammatory comment here, discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Publicans have to take some blame for issues with drink driving in rural communities, there is to much of a blind eye to people they know getting behind a wheel after a few drinks.

Publicans in rural communities with little to know transport should be doing more to make sure all there patrons have a way to get home safely.

Also it would help a lot if there was some decent non alcoholic options available in pubs, I know ide rather drink a non alcoholic beer when I'm in company of others drinking rather than a glass of coke or club orange. But many pubs have little to no choice of any non alcoholic beers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Igotadose wrote: »
    I'm from the US. Designated driver's a thing. Driving after a few is frowned upon.

In Washington, anyway, they seemed to draw a big distinction between drinking and drunk. People were super casual about driving after drinking so long as you didn't cross the line into what they considered drunk, which I thought was pretty absurd. Even then it was kind of "Oh, not sure Tony should be driving home, I think he's a little drunk" and then letting him do it, anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Agricola wrote: »
    Lots of us would be well capable of driving home after 2 or 3 pints...There are too many idiots in the world

The irony is excrutiating.

It's not about if you're able to drive. I'm able to drive while totally langered, but it's doesn't mean I am safe to drive. Regardless of how confident you feel about your driving after three points your reactions and awareness are dulled and you are far more likely to kill someone. I really don't understand why people just can't get that into their skull.

Stop trying to be a hard man who thinks his brain doesn't react to alcohol according to the simple laws of biology.

Publicans have to take some blame for issues with drink driving in rural communities, there is to much of a blind eye to people they know getting behind a wheel after a few drinks.

Publicans in rural communities with little to know transport should be doing more to make sure all there patrons have a way to get home safely.

Also it would help a lot if there was some decent non alcoholic options available in pubs, I know ide rather drink a non alcoholic beer when I'm in company of others drinking rather than a glass of coke or club orange. But many pubs have little to no choice of any non alcoholic beers.

Many if not most publicans do sort ways home for people if there aren’t taxis etc but that’s all for the end of the night you can’t be expecting a publican to be going here and there all evening long with lads who called in for a few pints after work. It’s also a royal pain for a lad to either have to get a lift in or leave his car when he needs it in the morning when it’s only popping in for 2/3 pints after work.

The majority have no problem paying for a taxi after a proper session but personally I see no reason a lad on his way home from work on a Tuesday evening can’t have his 2/3 pints and drive home. I’d say you would lose more than half the people drinking in my local in the early evening if the limit was heeded 100%.
    Zillah wrote: »
    The irony is excrutiating.

It's not about if you're able to drive. I'm able to drive while totally langered, but it's doesn't mean I am safe to drive. Regardless of how confident you feel about your driving after three points your reactions and awareness are dulled and you are far more likely to kill someone. I really don't understand why people just can't get that into their skull.

Stop trying to be a hard man who thinks his brain doesn't react to alcohol according to the simple laws of biology.

The effects that 2 or 3 pints have on your driving are highly highly exaggerated that’s the issue. The absolute vicious outrage over driving after 2 or 3 pints is borderline insanity from some, I really don’t think they ever did it or were around someone doing it to actually see that it’s actually grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

Is would be interesting to get a breakdown of accidents by BAC. I've always wondered how many accidents were caused by drivers in the 0.05-0.08% range, and whether it justified the lower limits. As the RSA hasn't released this information, a suspicious person might think that the legislation is not evidence-based.

They're not going to release that information, it would prove that the lower limits don't make sense, particularly the 0.02%.

In the US, you can legally fly a 747 with hundreds of people on board with a BAC of 0.04%. I would have far more confidence in the FAA's research than the RSA.

Now admittedly, the EU regulations are 0.02% for pilots, but flying a plane is infinitely more complicated than driving a car 3 miles home after 2 pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I had 13 pints last night and drove home.

Apparently I've just been reported. The only thing is never said what was in the pints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,289 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Apparently I've just been reported. The only thing is never said what was in the pints.

Whiskey?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

I reckon driving tired is way more dangerous than driving drunk if you're sensible when you're drunk and not completely ****faced.

Balanadan wrote: »
    I reckon driving tired is way more dangerous than driving drunk if you're sensible when you're drunk and not completely ****faced.

There is no doubt about it that driving tired is much worse than a few pints. Driving while very tired totally takes you over you are doing everything in your power to keep your eyes open and not nod off and people drive like this all the time without a second thought.

Driving after 2/3 pints feels just fine in comparison, you are perfectly aware and well able to drive in comparison to tiredness.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I'm not convinced the recent lower limits are needed.

I think it was a mistake to focus on a legislative option of the recent lower limits as against the loopholes which meant something like 50% of
    people who failed tests on the old higher limit escaped.

So now we have a crap shoot where you have people who failed tests on higher blood alcohol levels getting off scot free; and people who failed on lower levels getting points etc.

I think proper enforcement of the old limits would have been a contribution to road safety; this is more of a quick political act at the stroke of a pen to be seen to be doing something without providing any more resources, or tackling court issues.

A common misconception that limits were reduced following the changes implemented last year. The limit stayed the same at blood alcohol level of 50mg for experienced drivers, that limit was actually introduced in 2011. Although, the limit was reduced for learner drivers and professional drivers in 2018, at a blood alcohol level of 20mg.

It was the penalties for being caught over the limit that were significantly increased.

I only wish the Government addressed the hospital treatment waiting lists scandal with similar gusto, as there are over 700,000 people currently waiting to see a consultant in the public system. No doubt plenty of elderly and sick die waiting for treatment.

Why isn't there an RSA type of body for the public hospitals and constant adverts showing the horrors of the public health system with comparisons done with the various hospitals - the blatant hypocrisy is sickening. By the way, I'm in favour of anti-drink driving measures and legislation, I just get frustrated over the significant deficiencies in our health system.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

Oh lol. I've seen the **** that passes for road etiquette in Thailand and neighbouring countries. You can only be lucky so many times.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

True, I have driven extensively all over South East Asia, completely different experience to western roads. China being by far the worst.

The difference between somebody cutting into your lane and waiting for you to pass before initiating their lane changing maneuver is dependent on who is first across an imaginary horizontal line drawn the road between both motors.

It is a bit mad but I actually like the style of driving, never a dull moment :-)

Life itself is a stupid game; everybody starts from the same place, plays the game based on their own interpretation of the rules and regardless of how successful one is at the game we all win the same stupid prize in the end; we get to rot in the ground forever.

I'll die sometime for sure, so will you. If I die today I shall do so with no regrets and a full fu*kin' heart :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

There's a certain type of bogger who thinks drink driving is "cool" and boast with their mates about how much drink they can "hold". These monkeys always drive everywhere at max rally speed, tailgating and bullying their way around, making other drivers far more likely to have accidents. They then slag the **** out of eachother down the pub for driving slow which to them is only for pussies. They are yen make sure their loud guffaws reverberate throughout the pub.

They're the worst example of boorish unrefined bogger Ireland. "Big thick ignorant ****ers" some bogmeisters would call them, although ignorant means "ignores people" in the bogger dictionary whereas the real meaning is "to not know something"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Anyone who thinks it’s ok to drink and drive has obviously never been at the scene of an accident caused by a drink driver. Maybe if they saw a woman trapped in her car screaming because her arm has been almost ripped off and is hanging on by a piece of muscle they just might change their mind. An ambulance takes a very long time to arrive and there’s nothing anyone can do.

or if they had to identify their mother in the mortuary with her head smashed in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

So you are trolling then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

There is no doubt about it that driving tired is much worse than a few pints. Driving while very tired totally takes you over you are doing everything in your power to keep your eyes open and not nod off and people drive like this all the time without a second thought.

Driving after 2/3 pints feels just fine in comparison, you are perfectly aware and well able to drive in comparison to tiredness.

I'd be inclined to agree depending on what you mean by a few pints and how far/ how familiar they are with the roads they are driving home on.

But the RSA or the Gardai can't test for tiredness and therein lies the problem. They can seize on a yardstick on alcohol, it's a target that's enforcable. They could also ban drivers automatically for using mobile phones when driving, but won't as the roads would empty..

What I can't understand though why the RSA is not cracking down big time on those who drive without insurance. By some accounts could be 1 in 5 drivers you encounter? Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Drink driving and driving when texting is lethal and so selfish . To think someone’s selfishness could ruin someone’s life forever . was nearly hit by a presumed drink driver last year that was on wrong side of road. The car was going so fast and it’s head lights were coming straight for us It swerved in at the last second.

Was stuck behind drunk driver yesterday on a busy road at a time people and families were heading home after nice fun day in sun. the driver was indicating taking bends, overcompensating when cars where approaching, crossing continuous white line and driving erratically . I called gaurds which is something I don’t generally do but this person was all over the road and was going to cause an accident. hopefully they arrested the person as the car turned into a very built up area. Texting and driving is just as bad

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It's fairly bad if you have lost someone due to drink driving alright, yeah.
    But drunk drivers don't bother thinking about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Igotadose wrote: »
    I'm from the US. Designated driver's a thing. Driving after a few is frowned upon. MADD's done a good job.

Laugh back at your dangerous companions. They're living the 99% life - 99% of the time, they get away with sh1t. But if they hit the 100%... look out below

Not my experience.... from what I have seen in multiple states, they are pretty casual on drinking and driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Drink driving? Is it really that bad?
    Discuss.

Yes it bloody well is, specially if you're plastered and mounting pavements at 3am with the risk of knocking down unsuspecting pedestrians, or crashing headlong into incoming traffic!

Drink Driving is stupid and irresponsible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I live rurally, last night my friend had 3 and a half pints and my friend had 11 and he drove us home. I got there in one piece and so did he.

The new limits are stupid and overrestrictive. No one crashed after 3 or 4 pints. Let's restore the old limit of 0.08 %.

Discuss.

11 pints? Your mate is an prick that's ridiculous like.

Drink driving is the absolute worst.

Advertisement