Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Can anybody advise me how to upload videos or photos?? I have clicked on the 'attach files' pin at the bottom but it doesn't do the job.

I gave tried several times.

Is there another way??

Thanks in advance.. I wanted to upload a couple of the Dublin Mountains today in the snow.

You're probably best to post them on Twitter and share the tweet here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Sleet shower here in central Meath. Thought it’d be snow as it was freezing beforehand.

The 15Z ICON Flash has the snowline low enough over much of the country, except near the coasts, where the precip is. :rolleyes:

538150.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Icy rain with some sleet in D14, decent intensity... pity

• Registered Users Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

To cheer some up a bit a short sharp frontal snowfall still holding on for Wednesday night

iconeu_uk1-1-84-0.png?03-16

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

To cheer some up a bit a short sharp frontal snowfall still holding on for Wednesday night

i]
    Not showing anything in wexford :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Currently raining here in wexford.

Not showing anything in wexford :(

It's only a snap shot, it goes through south Leinster too, even Wexford ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

S.Kildare. WOW station down the road is at 0.2c with a DP of -0.9c. Radar looks fairly uninspiring thus far for my spot. If I'm only missing sleet then I won't be put off too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Dew point of 1.0c with temp of 1.9c and it’s sleet falling at my station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

Cracker of a day! Frost didn’t clear in many places. I’m not expecting any snow in east Co Galway, but this type of weather is almost (maybe equally) as good. Met showing no precipitation at all for us the next few days. No snow :-( but no rain either :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Burst of graupel just now in coastal north Dublin, you know it's Irish Sea showers when you hear that clatter! not quite hail and the much-loved graupel shower.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Annoying cloud coming over from Scotland keeping the temperatures up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Frost hung around all day in the sheltered parts. It was a great day for a long walk. I don't know how anyone could prefer blow torch south westerlies to days like today.

#nosnow #nopeace :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Frost hung around all day in the sheltered parts. It was a great day for a long walk. I don't know how anyone could prefer blow torch south westerlies to days like today.

Smashing day, the entire Christmas period has been mostly excellent here in Cork. Just the one poor evening on the 26th and dry most of the rest of the time. You love to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Temp dropping fast here near Tralee from a brief high of 3.9C to 1.3C atm, low -3.4C

Still had frozen sand in the shade in Banna Beach this afternoon

hlyM26v.jpg?1

Oh wow Banna beach one of my favourite ones in the world! Love the place! So great to see a picture!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Still plenty of brightness here in Castlebar with clear skies, pink tinge in the distance you get with cold weather.beautiful evening.

Agree with you totally Oscar Bravo. A stunner of a winter evening.
    Below a picture taken of that evening sky in Lough Lannagh in Castlebar this eve. Plenty of ice still left on the lake after last night's hardy frost.

538167.jpg

Below, one from Lough Lannagh yesterday eve taken with a bit more cloud in the evening sky. Would gladly take another few days of this.

538169.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lostweekend3

Some people love wind events. Maybe if we didn’t get so much wind in this country I might even look forward to it

Some people love wind events. Maybe if we didn’t get so much wind in this country I might even look forward to it
    We haven't had a decent wind event in this country in ages, certainly the vast majority of us.

Can't remember the last proper wind-storm in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

We haven't had a decent wind event in this country in ages, certainly the vast majority of us.

Can't remember the last proper wind-storm in Dublin

Storm Ali from September 2018 was an impressive one imo, I was in Offaly (the cancelled Ploughing Championships :P) for most of that storm and it was windy enough there. when we came back to Dublin I saw lots of trees knocked down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

Light rain at 0.9°c in Kildare :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Oh wow Banna beach one of my favourite ones in the world! Love the place! So great to see a picture!

Well, to paint the picture for you Wine Goddess it was absoloutly beautiful there today, crisp and crystal clear air, great view all along the Slieve Mish Mt range out to Brandon Pt and over to kerry Hd and all the islands pin sharp. Tide was very low, calm and smooth as glass . Flocks of Brent geese and Sandpipers on the shore. Very refreshing both for body and mind in these difficult days.

The Black Rock looking out towards Kerry Head, can see the line of cloud showing up well off the coast on the Sat Pic.

LKRPIwC.jpg?1

U1fNk2z.jpg?1

NASA

lGLpSGm.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

Freezing rain now here on surfaces

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Storm Ali from September 2018 was an impressive one imo, I was in Offaly (the cancelled Ploughing Championships :P) for most of that storm and it was windy enough there. when we came back to Dublin I saw lots of trees knocked down.

Did the gusts not top out around 60 knots?

I mean a 70-80 knot proper wind-storm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

big shower approaching here now and it's all cold rain, such a pity seen this brief easterly go to waste with no real cold in place to turn things to snow. -5 uppers, +2 dew points and temperature of 3C.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Artane2002 wrote: »

You know how much I enjoyed Storm Ali well by now after the many posts I did mentioning and reminiscing about it. Statistically in Dublin however, it was not a standout storm and would had to have been there solely for experiencing it.

February 2020 was record breaking windy for many because of the persistence of winds which was very frustrating even for somebody who likes a good stormy day every now and then or any weather extreme for that matter. No day or "storm" stood out on their own for me. Brendan (which wasn't even in February) was probably the closest somewhat memorable storm I observed last winter despite the Polar Vortex of Doom giving some very deep depressions. I've felt far windier conditions in previous winters like 2011-12 or 2013-14.

It has been so bland, like with most weathers recently :rolleyes: , with big monster windstorms lacking after that period from the 70s to 90s when we had many notable events. I like to look at old RTÉ Archives news reports a lot and any images/videos I can find of Dublin "back in the day", I get the constant reminder that our weather of late really has been boring and it's not just a recency bias or something like that.

9 February 1988 a proper storm that warranted red warnings.. one of a few from back then.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/collections/news/21268770-storm-sweeps-northwest/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭highdef

Gonzo wrote: »
    big shower approaching here now and it's all cold rain, such a pity seen this brief easterly go to waste with no real cold in place to turn things to snow. -5 uppers, +2 dew points and temperature of 3C.

That same shower is knocking on my door now. It'll either be sleet/snow or freezing rain. Either way, roads are going to be lethal as a result

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

highdef wrote: »
    That same shower is knocking on my door now. It'll either be sleet/snow or freezing rain. Either way, roads are going to be lethal as a result

I just went outside to turn off the heating and almost slipped, footpaths and grass are quiet icy after the last shower. Roads could be fairly icy in the morning but not expecting the same severe frost as last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,706 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Did the gusts not top out around 60 knots?

I mean a 70-80 knot proper wind-storm.

For 2 hours in Galway, Storm Ali was exceptional. I have never seen so many trees knocked over.
    I saw 2 fall on the way to work around 8am (in a traffic jam for around 1 hour). I had never seen a tree fall before.

We had a gust of 147 km/h at Mace Head during Ali (79 knots)

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Advertisement