Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Howth weather station 5.8/2.0

It isn't even close for us coasties but there could still be graupel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

Just took a trip to the car outside and the place is absolutely covered in ice, didn’t realise it was that bad until I went out. Lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Temperature all over the place this evening, currently -0.2c after a recent low of -0.6°c, seems to be going up and down by a degree every half an hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 cp19 sleeper

As a truck driver I remember all the wind storms!
    I'm not looking forward to the morning Oldcastle-limerick for 7AM

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Temperature all over the place this evening, currently -0.2c after a recent low of -0.6°c, seems to be going up and down by a degree every half an hour or so.

That happens at my place too.. for a few hours then the temperature drops beyond midnight.

It might be similar to what Danno was discussing in his area.

• Advertisement

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    That happens at my place too.. for a few hours then the temperature drops beyond midnight.

It might be similar to what Danno was discussing in his area.

Yup, up to +0.7°c now after 13 minutes.

It'll for sure drop again, it's a strange one in the evening as the temperature seems to fluctuate wildly before settling down when it's well sub zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭appledrop

Hail shower now here in NCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Roads arn't great here at the minute, freeze, some rain, freeze again, temp currently 0.3c under a clear sky

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Yup, up to +0.7°c now after 13 minutes.

It'll for sure drop again, it's a strange one in the evening as the temperature seems to fluctuate wildly before settling down when it's well sub zero.

Its a rock steady 4.9 to 5.1 here in that lovely Irish sea air we're getting over this side

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Its a rock steady 4.9 to 5.1 here in that lovely Irish sea air we're getting over this side

Ah lovely, to be fair, that often happens here.

Currently -0.1, has fluctuated between -0.7 and +0.8c in the last hour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Plenty of rain in D3 at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

A decent north easterly wind has reached into Kildare now brining the temperature up a tad

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Bitterly cold in south Laois, a light NNE breeze with temperatures of -0.1c the first sub-zero since after 11am. The ground is frozen with a hoar frost forming and the tarmacadam sparkling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭circadian

Definitely getting colder in D9 but nowhere near as cold as other reports. Car reporting 3C at the minute with heavy clouds coming in from the east. This morning was a lovely frosty affair but I suspect tomorrow will just be a cold damp morning, unless temperatures miraculously drop with this cloud cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Belmullet has managed to get down to 0 on the 11pm reports. Not many times in the year that happens

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Casement reporting a Hail Shower (temp 3,dewpoint 1)

EIME 032300Z 04016G28KT 9999 -SHGR SCT018CB SCT022 03/01 Q1025

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Grauple and sleet here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Grauple and sleet here

ditto in Dublin 5, some slushy hail deposits on the shed roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

-0.6c here now in meath and with the wind, its fierce cold, road outside the house extremely slippy now

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Let’s forget the 18Z

• Advertisement

circadian wrote: »
    Definitely getting colder in D9 but nowhere near as cold as other reports. Car reporting 3C at the minute with heavy clouds coming in from the east. This morning was a lovely frosty affair but I suspect tomorrow will just be a cold damp morning, unless temperatures miraculously drop with this cloud cover.

Huh, just after posting this there was a heavy graupel shower just like a few others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Gonzo wrote: »
    big shower approaching here now and it's all cold rain, such a pity seen this brief easterly go to waste with no real cold in place to turn things to snow. -5 uppers, +2 dew points and temperature of 3C.

Personally, I'll be glad to see the back of this spell. A huge disappointment, not that I expected it to be anything else, both statistically and in the actual sense. We are traditionally in one of the coldest periods of the year, and the best we can muster from a cold spell in a cold part of the year is a few miserable cold rain and sleet showers and a few light air frosts.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Personally, I'll be glad to see the back of this spell. A huge disappointment, not that I expected it to be anything else, both statistically and in the actual sense. We are traditionally in one of the coldest periods of the year, and the best we can muster from a cold spell in a cold part of the year is a few miserable cold rain and sleet showers and a few light air frosts.

Sadly there was no proper cold pool to tap into this time. Frustrating but hopefully we will get a proper spell at some stage this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

pointrosee
    Dew points just arnt low enough along the northeast. I expect it to be better later tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Temperature around 0,despite the - 5 that was forecast, but everything is frozen solid, fun drive to work ahead...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Footpaths and roads are lethal in Naas. I don't think they gritted the roads this morning. My morning walk was very treacherous.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

So we can get back into a conveyor belt of south-westerlies dumping rain on us? Because that, generally, is the alternative at this time of the year. It's been very dry and sunny here in the south and people have been able to get out and about at least for a walk or some exercise.

There was a pretty heavy hail shower here around 5am, no sign of it now but it left a nice coating of white.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭eon1208

Nothing worse than the muck from the Atlantic. This is a nice respite. Well said.

• Advertisement

Place is completely white this morning, currently -3.2°c (which is the overnight min), coldest this winter yet. West Clare.

Advertisement