Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

A breeze from the W last night caused temperatures to fluctuate between -1c and +1c throughout. Some frost about here this morning in S Laois where it is currently 2.1c under a mostly clear sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Icy af on my cycle to gym this morning at around 7am, all gone when the sun came up. It was lovely and still but breeze picking up now. I'll be glad to see the back of this cold spell I can't get bloody warm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Blue skies and sunny in Galway. Gorgeous.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Blue skies and sunny in Galway. Gorgeous.

Same up the road in Castlebar

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

frost melted here again as the week begins to turn milder. We had 4 nights in a row of heavy frost and 1 ice day, already well ahead of last winter and the winter before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Trying not get excited but the Christmas Eve/Christmas day period is looking juicy indeed. Still Fantasy island but it’s a possibility. Beast from the east for Christmas, wouldn’t that be unreal

Was icy in D5 this morning at 7am cycling, slipped at one stage. Thankfully it seems to be the end of the really cold spell.
    How am I supposed to get anything done in the garden when everything is constantly wet? I think we usually get a few days of 12c+ in December it must be when I normally cut the grass etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

A dull morning in wexford. Also milder than the last few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

Lashing rain and the wind has picked up in East Clare.
    Miserable morning..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭pauldry

wet and 7c today here.

frosty days are gone for a while. Maybe some at night in sheltered spots but next 5 days will be dominated by cold rain or showers

Wet in Galway today. I have to say the last several days of cold and dry weather were lovely. Even the fog was lovely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

back to normal service here in Meath, cloudy, drizzly and Atlantic mucky day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Based on the latest model runs it looks like La Nina is beginning to exert its influence, with the influence of the Russian high declining. Hopefully it's wrong, but it has to be said the EC46 was not in agreement with some of the earlier promising GFS runs for Christmas week.

Dark and murky here in Castlebar

horrible day in Meath, wet since this morning but nothing too heavy. Feeling chilly despite the milder temperatures compared to recently.

The Atlantic is back for the time being with a mixture of cool and mild interludes over the next 10 to 14 days. Hopefully during this time we will see much more interesting developments for Christmas day and beyond to New Year's Day.

edit: GFS updated again and it's another swing towards mild unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Awful evening in Cork City. Very heavy rain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Gonzo wrote: »
    horrible day in Meath, wet since this morning but nothing too heavy. Feeling chilly despite the milder temperatures compared to recently.
    Similar here all day, and feels colder now than it did during the recent foggy/frosty spell.

Give me a raging, active, lightning fueled Atlantic over this current drab, pointless garbage any day.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Artane2002

the fog is back in Dublin 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

Artane2002 wrote: »
    the fog is back in Dublin 5.

As it is also in North Kildare.

If things are to be believed. Each run just keeps looking better. I’m still not convinced yet as how many times have the models let us down but there’s so much potential showing up for Christmas Day snow.

• Advertisement

If things are to be believed. Each run just keeps looking better. I’m still not convinced yet as how many times have the models let us down but there’s so much potential showing up for Christmas Day snow.

that's Louth in Lincolnshire along the east coast of England, not County Louth in Ireland. At the moment we can't even begin to predict what Christmas Day will be like with so many swings from one run to another. Hopefully next week we will start to see a more reliable pattern for Christmas Eve/Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lostweekend3

Yet the latest GFS op run shows the hairdryer southerlies for Christmas??? Know our luck that’s what we’ll get even though there’s likely to be a massive pool of cold air to our north and east. Beyond laughable.

In order to get the forecast for Louth, you can type in Dundalk or Drogheda rather than the county of Louth.

ens_image.php?geoid=64978&var=201&run=6&date=2020-12-10&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=1

Not that much real cold on offer with this mornings ensembles, there is just one run going into the freezer for the Christmas period, the others are everything inbetween standard cold and very mild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

We seem to follow a very similar December pattern these past few years. An early cold spell around the first week and gets you in a festive mood then mild Atlantic driven weather right through to New Year with only the odd colder day. Anyone else notice this? Then the cold doesn't arrive until March when we want the Spring weather to be arriving!

Seems to be the major pattern for the last 5 years maybe.

Lol silly mistake on my behalf with location but yeah it’s up and down but still good signs. See how the rest of the GFS runs play out. Blocking trying to take hold. It’s way better reading than last year at this time that’s for sure.
    In order to get the forecast for Louth, you can type in Dundalk or Drogheda rather than the county of Louth.

ens_image.php?geoid=64978&var=201&run=6&date=2020-12-10&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=1

Not that much real cold on offer with this mornings ensembles, there is just one run going into the freezer for the Christmas period, the others are everything inbetween standard cold and very mild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Real heavy rain here now in Meath, and the sky has an orange glow to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Real heavy rain here now in Meath, and the sky has an orange glow to it

Snap, just posted likewise on the Convection page in error. Should have been over here. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Kutebride wrote: »
    Snap, just posted likewise on the Convection page in error. Should have been over here. :o

Back to a dark sky now, that was unusual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

We seem to follow a very similar December pattern these past few years. An early cold spell around the first week and gets you in a festive mood then mild Atlantic driven weather right through to New Year with only the odd colder day. Anyone else notice this? Then the cold doesn't arrive until March when we want the Spring weather to be arriving!

Seems to be the major pattern for the last 5 years maybe.

This chart shows the average max temp for each 7 day running period for the last quart of the year for the period 2011-2019 (red line. Blue is just this year to compare) on a national level. We see that overall, there is a gradual decline in temps between October and late November, before they bottom out during early December, and if anything, begins to show a small rise thereafter.
    bUjw0D1.png

(data is from Met Eireann)

New Moon

pouring rain here in Meath. The next 10 days are starting to look quite unsettled with no shortage of rain and showers in from the Atlantic. The Atlantic looks to be well and truly back in charge in the run up to Christmas.

• Advertisement

pouring rain here in Meath. The next 10 days are starting to look quite unsettled with no shortage of rain and showers in from the Atlantic. The Atlantic looks to be well and truly back in charge in the run up to Christmas.
    What's new :rolleyes:

Is christmas period itself a write-off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

We had a nice orange glow ourselves in the morning sky here in Mayo today. There was a lovely splash of colour in the eastern sky around sunrise. It did not last long however as the grey murk soon rolled in to give a damp and dreary December day. Still raining on and off out there at present. 9c.

535762.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lostweekend3

I’d actually love another cold, frosty, foggy period over Christmas like the one we just had a few days ago. At least it would feel seasonal. If no snow, then that is second best for me.

In 12 days the days start to get longer. :)

Overwritten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

Ugh, I hate the long evenings in the summer. Just feels weird for it to be 22:00 and still bright outside. Don't mind the early mornings though, love getting up early to watch sunrise :D.

Oh God, the thoughts of being up at 5am to watch sunrise doesn't sound too enticing, unless I'm still up from the night before. Nice weather in the summer combined with late sunsets is heaven and is literally the only thing that has kept me from moving to the likes of southern france or italy, where summer sunsets are a fair bit earlier especially in southern italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Ugh, I hate the long evenings in the summer. Just feels weird for it to be 22:00 and still bright outside. Don't mind the early mornings though, love getting up early to watch sunrise :D.

Complete opposite here. There's little more depressing than looking out the window at 4pm and it being almost dark. I tend to be a bit of a night owl so not unusual for me to get up at 12-1 on weekends and you've only 2 hours of actual daylight left. Vitamin D supplements ftw.

It is a nice novelty around Christmas with the lights, but if I could have 16-hour days year round, I'd take them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

IT looks like we are going to be lucky over Christmas although that it is with a caveat this far out. Think temps will be a bit higher than normal so will be nice to get out for a walk etc.. Hopefully the outlook remains that way

Chistmas is not a write off yet as it is still 2 weeks away and plenty can change over the next week, however the charts have become more uneventful with each run and we have a fairly average to mild Atlantic setup between now and the 21st of December. Perhaps over time the jet will dip futher southwards to allow us into the colder air nearer to Christmas. For now all is still to play for but so far the mild and Atlantic is winning despite the blocking that is set up and forecast to strength over the next week with an increasingly negative NAO and AO.

ao.sprd2.gif

nao.sprd2.gif

We also have a warming taking place that looks to fall just short of a SSW, this may or may not affect us come January, only time will tell. it appears this warming won't be enough to completely split the PV, it will stretch it somewhat and maybe displace it further south so not really a proper SSW.

gfsnh-10-252.png?0

Compared to last winter and the winter before that at least we have a few building blocks in place but none of it looks convincing enough to summon a beast in time for Christmas or the run up to the New Year.

• Advertisement

highdef wrote: »
    Oh God, the thoughts of being up at 5am to watch sunrise doesn't sound too enticing,
    Nah i like doing it. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

I have to say that I am the opposite and love those long evenings in June when the twilight lingers long in the northwestern sky. On a clear night, you might be lucky and have the added bonus of some noctilucent clouds brightening up the northern horizon into the wee hours.
    I don't mind the winter as such and love the prospect of a snow chase though they rarely come to fruition. There is no logic to why I like it but I think it is the inner child in me that still loves that hypnotic trance of watching snowflakes fall at night as they are lit up by an outside light.
    It is the blue skies that I probably like the most in any season. Cold, crisp, frosty weather will do me nicely in the winter and even though we are no strangers to rain here in the west, I really despise those grey days of rain that we can get in the winter when the temperature remains around 4 or 5 degrees.
    If I could cherry pick a few days, I would take the weather that we had at the end of last May and over the June bank holiday weekend. That was glorious!

Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    I have to say that I am the opposite and love those long evenings in June when the twilight lingers long in the northwestern sky. On a clear night, you might be lucky and have the added bonus of some noctilucent clouds brightening up the northern horizon into the wee hours.
    I don't mind the winter as such and love the prospect of a snow chase though they rarely come to fruition. There is no logic to why I like it but I think it is the inner child in me that still loves that hypnotic trance of watching snowflakes fall at night as they are lit up by an outside light.
    It is the blue skies that I probably like the most in any season. Cold, crisp, frosty weather will do me nicely in the winter and even though we are no strangers to rain here in the west, I really despise those grey days of rain that we can get in the winter when the temperature remains around 4 or 5 degrees.
    If I could cherry pick a few days, I would take the weather that we had at the end of last May and over the June bank holiday weekend. That was glorious!

fully agree :)

Wow, I'm the only one who doesn't really like the long evenings in summer? I don't mind it being bright until 8-9pm, but after 10pm it just seems too late to be bright. Or maybe I'm having bad memories of this year's awful summer. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

aw i absolutley love the long summer nights, espically going out for beers on a sturday night or sun evening in summer , glorius sitting in a beer garden of a pub in high summer at 9pm and still broad daylight and maybe 17/18 celcius. thats heaven. Actually when i retire i paln on going to nz or australia from october to april and never seeing a winter again. its actually due to get brighter by 1 min per day from dec 16th. i always feel after paddys day the back is broke on winter, it cant throw much at you after that as day length has it beat.up to paddys day though nothing is ever off the table. dont forget on april 1st each year its bright til after 8:30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Wow, I'm the only one who doesn't really like the long evenings in summer? I don't mind it being bright until 8-9pm, but after 10pm it just seems too late to be bright. Or maybe I'm having bad memories of this year's awful summer. :D

I like the long evenings in summer but I also like the late sunrises in winter. I'm not keen on sunrise being so early during summer, sometimes I go to sleep after the sun is up during summer which I don't enjoy doing.

• Advertisement

I will say that you don't know what you're missing if you've never been up at sunrise in summer. It's incredible with the birdsong, everything is still quiet, and just watching it get brighter. Sadly I never got to do it this year because of the s*** weather but I would highly recommend it.

Sunny morning in wexford currently.

I always hate if you have friends around and you're having beers etc then someone opens a curtain and there's blinding sun and the panic sets in as people realise they need to go home. In winter you can be at a party till 6am and go home and it still doesn't feel bad as it's pitch black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭pauldry

Very dense fog here today. Dont see that mentioned on forecast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,234 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

pauldry wrote: »
    Very dense fog here today. Dont see that mentioned on forecast

Where are you? Sligo is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Chistmas is not a write off yet as it is still 2 weeks away and plenty can change over the next week, however the charts have become more uneventful with each run and we have a fairly average to mild Atlantic setup between now and the 21st of December. Perhaps over time the jet will dip futher southwards to allow us into the colder air nearer to Christmas. For now all is still to play for but so far the mild and Atlantic is winning despite the blocking that is set up and forecast to strength over the next week with an increasingly negative NAO and AO.

ao.sprd2.gif

nao.sprd2.gif

We also have a warming taking place that looks to fall just short of a SSW, this may or may not affect us come January, only time will tell. it appears this warming won't be enough to completely split the PV, it will stretch it somewhat and maybe displace it further south so not really a proper SSW.

gfsnh-10-252.png?0

Compared to last winter and the winter before that at least we have a few building blocks in place but none of it looks convincing enough to summon a beast in time for Christmas or the run up to the New Year.

The warming in the cart is going to be affected by the positioning of the Russian high.
    Two weeks ago polish forecasting agency released there long range weather forecast.
    They were forecasting this warming and basically said the Russian high will dictate what will happen.
    Two main scenarios.
    The Russian high will push further north and east bringing a near direct northerly blast to eastern and central Europe
    This would be a very snowy picture for central Europe as you would have a feed of moisture been steered up from the south meeting the cold air from the north.
    Or the high will start to move east and more southern bringing a north east blast.
    Both are cold and snowy for eastern and central Europe although this would also bring much colder temperatures
    But for Ireland the second would be more preferable as an easterly would be easier sourced.

• Advertisement
Advertisement