Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else fed up of dating apps?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,433 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Just deleted it. **** it. For me Bumble is 10x better anyway. The women seem more genuine.

Isn't that just for women to contact men, a guy can't contact a lady.. That is even worse I'd imagine. All based on looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Isn't that just for women to contact men, a guy can't contact a lady.. That is even worse I'd imagine. All based on looks.

I think its better. It saves you messaging loads of women that aren't going to reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Taeholic

It's tough out there. In the past 24 hours on pof I've gotten one unwanted photo, one conversation initiated by him with 2 word replies to my questions of trying to get to know him better and one offer to buy me clothes for my next date with someone in my league. His words not mine. And several other weird messages. Some people expect you to have your phone in your hand 24/7 or you get an abusive message. One potential date though, we'll see.
    On tinder also, which is better in the sense you have to match to message but its still very difficult to get more than a few word reply. And I'd talk the legs off a donkey I ask questions. What's the point if you're not trying to get to know each other.
    I'm sure its equally difficult for men, maybe you guys have the same problems. Rant over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,917 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

lot similar but i found POF to be more filled with spam accounts and pickier than other...got more dates off tinder and bumble(bumbles problem is theres a lack of a distance filter -im down in cork but i keep getting matches up in Galway/Donegal)

Bumble added a distance filter about a month ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Taeholic wrote: »
    I'm sure its equally difficult for men, maybe you guys have the same problems. Rant over

I think we have the opposite problems.

Lots of messages sent with very few replies even if you keep it relevant and polite.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

I'm a right divel, when I smell a rat or someone who's just plain full of ****.

I tell them I've most of my life in order, all that's missing is someone to share good times with...

What can you bring to my life that might not be there already ?

They usually bolt or tell me I'm a knob lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I think we have the opposite problems.

Lots of messages sent with very few replies even if you keep it relevant and polite.

Some of them expect some grand elaborate opener... Meanwhile a simple hello will suffice for a man

Some of them expect some grand elaborate opener... Meanwhile a simple hello will suffice for a man

I seen some of those headlines looking for an elaborate opening line....

you wouldn't meet a friend and think, hold on I'll have to impress this person now.

imagine dealing with someone who's looking for someone who's exceptionally sharp with an opening line... goes down hill after that lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

S.G.M. wrote: »
    No, I know you're not. Just curious as to how you felt that the narrative was that we will go for any woman we see.
    Guys on this thread saying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I thought Bumble was just for the B’s? Turns out it’s all C’s and D’s.

• Advertisement

The hi/hello messages don't bother me. If I like your profile and location is somewhat close, I'll reply. But literally answering questions with one/two words is painful. And the "You?" replies get boring very quickly.

The hi/hello messages don't bother me. If I like your profile and location is somewhat close, I'll reply. But literally answering questions with one/two words is painful. And the "You?" replies get boring very quickly.

More tea vicar:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Ficheall wrote: »
    I just ask out everyone who thanks my posts on boards and seems female and intelligent.

Trollop.

I think they should make an app that involves no messages at all. Just swipe and meet.

nthclare wrote: »
    I seen some of those headlines looking for an elaborate opening line....

you wouldn't meet a friend and think, hold on I'll have to impress this person now.

imagine dealing with someone who's looking for someone who's exceptionally sharp with an opening line... goes down hill after that lol

I've lost count of the amount of profiles I've seen with "if we match don't message Hi" "if we match you message first"

And here's me thinking we were in the age of equality...

nthclare wrote: »
    More tea vicar:)

Haha can't resist a good cuppa

When a man talks dirty to a woman its sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man its £2.99 a minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

When a man talks dirty to a woman its sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man its £2.99 a minute.

Its more than 2.99 a minute. Wut you think i am cheap??

Its more than 2.99 a minute. Wut you think i am cheap??

How much is it per minute to ring the Headmelter Hotline?

Well if it's your first message it could be a problem alright 😄

• Advertisement

Oh we do that for free haha

Oh we do that for free haha

FFC146-E5-1-F0-E-4-C96-81-E9-DC90-B683-C5-EE.jpg
    patriot iron man suit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭S.G.M.

Do any other guys literally never match with a woman they really want to match with?

I wouldn't accept your calls so i don't know why you're asking.

If you want to pay for it, fair enough 45p is pretty cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

Does anyone go for those international dating sites. I went on an Asian one lately and can't stop chatting women up on it. Great action all together.

S.G.M. wrote: »
    Do any other guys literally never match with a woman they really want to match with?
    I'm not sure. I mean I sometimes match with a girl who looks great in the first few photos but then looks dreadful in the rest so I can't make my mind up. Or sometimes I match with a girl who could be attractive but they have silly filters with dogs ears and glasses. Theses wouldn't be young girls either.

I'm not sure. I mean I sometimes match with a girl who looks great in the first few photos but then looks dreadful in the rest so I can't make my mind up. Or sometimes I match with a girl who could be attractive but they have silly filters with dogs ears and glasses . Theses wouldn't be young girls either.

:pac:

All the better to deceive you with my dear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Had anyone else been catfished?
    Happened me twice last year. Took a few months break after it. Such a waste of a Saturday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,433 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If it was me I'd create a dating app call Stuck On You , when two people message and reply, then you are now '' Stuck On You'' , and it takes 20 messages each, back and forward to break the '' Stuck '' and each message needs to be 10 lines at least.
    That would get people talking at least.

Its very difficult to find someone who shares your vision of the future on there.

I presume it isn’t in the interest of these dating sites to have people find a partner. Losing paying customers isn’t good for business.

Bring back the slow set and shifting on the dance floor.

I presume it isn’t in the interest of these dating sites to have people find a partner. Losing paying customers isn’t good for business.

pretty much....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

:pac:

All the better to deceive you with my dear
    Don't hate women. It'll just eat you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

“will you shift my friend. he really likes you”

the good auld days

• Advertisement

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Don't hate women. It'll just eat you up.

Wut?

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    Had anyone else been catfished?
    Happened me twice last year. Took a few months break after it. Such a waste of a Saturday night.

been bitten by a conger eel a few times, once I had a slap in the face by a dogfish....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Anyone ever organise a dating raffle? Pick a number and you get whoever. No point in complaining, you get who you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Sick of online dating myself, been on and off POF for years, am on Bumble as well, was on Tinder but found it the most boring of all.

All of my dates (5 in all, 2 with the same person) were got from POF, one girl she was nice but had a bit of baggage, and I think both of us thought it wouldn't go beyond the first date and contact with her fizzled out, another girl went on one date and she claimed to want to go out again but it was impossible to get a meet up with her, then last year I went on two dates with one girl who I thought was lovely, she friendzoned me after the second date, which I thought was a bit unfair, didn't really keep in touch with her.

Then in June I had this amazing date, talked to her on POF also, what led up to it was a said I was attending the Fleetwood Mac concert with a mate and she was a big fan of Fleetwood Mac but she couldn't go because of work, I said "oh Ill record your fave song at the front of the audience since I got a Gold circle ticket" her fave song was "Rhiannon"

At the gig my phone had a weird meltdown and switched off and couldn't get it to come back on, my mate knew I was in the process of chatting this one up, and saw my phone was f**ked and lent me his phone to get a snippet of the song, got the whole track on camera, sounded great, sent it to her the next day, she was delighted and couldn't believe I did that for her. Anyway, I got back home and was just chilling out after the journey home, she texts me saying she was off out with a friend, sent me a selfie asking she she look nice, the picture was gorgeous and I said she she looked fab and to have a nice time out.

An hour went by and I get another text saying her friend couldn't make it at the last minute, and asked was I around for the evening, I hadn't planned on it, and I spent enough cash the night before at the gig, but I said "f**k it, not often I land this kind of encounter" so I washed real quick, brushed my teeth, put on my best shirt and made my way down to the bar, which is both one of our local spots. Met her near the bar, she looked great, and we had a great night, just having a laugh and a few friends of mine came over and we had the banter and they went off to other bars.

Next thing she jumps on me in the beer garden, kissing, groping etc. Not something that happens on a first date for me anyway, I've always had to work for it, so it had been nearly 3 years since...eh...well...you know! Wasn't thinking of it as a possible one night stand, I was just enjoying the moment and the date in general, wasn't out looking for it either, kind of just happened. Next thing we're back in her house, where she stated she doesn't sleep around, I believed her, so the obvious happened, all f**king night. Easily the best date and sex I had in 5 years and she was up for it again the next morning, even some cuddling after, was the first time in years I felt good about myself after many a rejection.

After that, we went out and I bought us breakfast some where nice and we chatted away, then went to Dunnes and helped her pick out a Father's day present, she bought a big heavy ceramic pot and I carried it back to her car which was 15 mins away near her house, she then gave me a lift home before she had to return to her parents for the weekend, got a kiss goodbye. It was nice.

Spent the weekend on a bit of a high, thinking I might have something going here, felt sure of it. Monday comes, I get ready for work, half an hour before I'm due in, a text rolls in from her, reading "hey I had a lot of fun with you the other night, but I'm not looking for anything serious right now can we be friends"

It was a total sickener, tried to convince her and talk her around but she wouldn't go for it, was just a slap in the face for me. Tried to not be the bollocks and tried to do the friends thing. Stayed in contact, didn't hound her with texts, she then gave me some spiel about needing to do an exam in order to obtain a promotion in work, and needed to focus on that until early September and she wasn't looking for a relationship, she took the same exam in June but didn't pass it, she mentioned it on our date and I said she'd be grand and she'll pass it the next time, and not to worry about it etc.

Didn't think about her for a while, but September came, and I was wondering could I win her over when she passed the exam, thought about sending her flowers if she passed her exam, so well into September I text and said "hey, how goes the study?" and she said she hasn't studied yet, and that was on holiday out in Ibiza and when she gets back she has two other trips to plan both Octoberfest and a trip to Japan, I said "oh well, ok, enjoy your holiday, have fun"

So, got on with life, about a fortnight later, I became an uncle for the second time, took a snap of my new niece, sent it to her, and she outright blocks me on whatsapp. The next day I text her asking what was her problem, she claimed she wanted to stay in touch, thought she'd have liked the snap, just blocked out of f**king nowhere after a friendly text, and I then text her said "No idea what I did to deserve to be blocked, just text you with some news and to see how you were. No reply for a few hours.

I was stewing after not getting a text back, and I fired one more saying "and to think, I was actually going to send you flowers when you passed your exam, thanks, thanks for making me feel like s**t, sorry I bothered, have a nice life"

Finally I get a text back saying saying I'm being unfair since we only had one date and she said she didn't want anything serious, and she was sorry that I feel bad, and that I'm a lovely guy and should put my energy into someone else, that we're too different and that she'd like to have a drink with me and chat, not all this negativity.

She f**king blocked me like! She didn't really know my exact feelings and what I was thinking of doing before she blocked me, which to me says she didn't even want to be friends at all.

I being tick at the time, text back "Unfair, you blocked me when all I did was send a friendly message, and also, too different? but good enough to bring home and discard a few days after, you can just f**k off now"

Probably nasty to send that, but I was really angry at being blocked like that, after I send a generally sweet kind of photo, you know? Thinking she'd be happy for me or whatever. I'm just generally sick of being the nice guy that never gets a look in or a chance like. I'm sure there are plenty of blokes that feel the same way.

Like this one is in her early 30's, she more interested in the career and galivanting around the globe than putting any effort into daily life at home, whats with all this waiting around? Who is she and women in general waiting around for? And choosing to rot on these apps for years on end. Like I'm no oil painting, I'm a pretty average guy, a lot of Irish men are f**king average, but come on, if you're in your 30's you should be thinking a bit more long term about your dating life and making more of an effort in person and on these dating apps, I mean in my area, I live in the south east, I use POF most of the time, and it's the same f**king handful of women aged between 26-35, that would be the age bracket I'd message I suppose, close to my age. And none of them would say as much as boo to you.

Honestly think Irish women are the pickiest women on Earth, and are only on these apps to be plamased more so than dating anyone! Probably a very long rant for this thread, but sure if people don't like what I said, whatever, my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Very Long Post

Couldn't really blame her in fairness mate! You came on a bit strong for her and then you lost the rag when she wanted to cut contact?

• Advertisement

Couldn't really blame her in fairness mate! You came on a bit strong for her and then you lost the rag when she wanted to cut contact?

I gave her some space, as I said, didn't hound her with texts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

You guys might have a different perception of space! Fair enough blocking you for sending a picture is a bit much too, But switching to another form of media to contact her against her wishes is a little strong!

But whatever's meant for you won't pass you and all that!

You guys might have a different perception of space! Fair enough blocking you for sending a picture is a bit much too, But switching to another form of media to contact her against her wishes is a little strong!

But whatever's meant for you won't pass you and all that!

I merely wanted an explanation, I hadn't done anything to her, she was the one who wanted to keep in touch and I confronted her, I was being treated unfairly and I wasn't going to let it go that easy.

I was being the nice guy at the end of it, she instigated my reaction.

And I hate that saying "whatever's meant for you won't pass you" ugh...

I have relatives still single in their 50s and 60's, the thought of that for me makes me want to puke really.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

I was stewing after not getting a text back, and I fired one more saying "and to think, I was actually going to send you flowers when you passed your exam, thanks, thanks for making me feel like s**t, sorry I bothered, have a nice life"

Finally I get a text back saying saying I'm being unfair since we only had one date and she said she didn't want anything serious

She f**king blocked me like! She didn't really know my exact feelings and what I was thinking of doing before she blocked me, which to me says she didn't even want to be friends at all.

I being tick at the time, text back "Unfair, you blocked me when all I did was send a friendly message, and also, too different? but good enough to bring home and discard a few days after, you can just f**k off now"

Probably nasty to send that, but I was really angry at being blocked like that, after I send a generally sweet kind of photo, you know?

I'm just generally sick of being the nice guy that never gets a look in or a chance like. I'm sure there are plenty of blokes that feel the same way

How are you sick of being a nice guy?! You are anything but.

You have no right to make that assumption, you know nothing about me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭S.G.M.

zcorpian88 wrote:
    I merely wanted an explanation, I hadn't done anything to her, she was the one who wanted to keep in touch and I confronted her, I was being treated unfairly and I wasn't going to let it go that easy.
    Mate, I can tell you're incredibly frustrated. I have been in the same boat especially when you like the person in question.
    However, she doesn't owe you anything. Being the 'nice guy', doesn't entitle you to her time and affection. What she done with regards blocking you without an explanation was quite immature and I can see how upsetting that could be but you've gotta be the bigger person in that situation. Losing the head with her, isn't going to help anyone. She obviously isn't the one for you, so forget her. Sounds like you have some issues in yourself, you could work on with regards dating. This isn't a dig either. I used to have a tonne of issues in that regard as do many but I started to work on myself and feel I'm in a better place now. Best of luck.

Being honest mate, you were a bit too quick to dance to her tune, I've just watched my own mate go through this and get discarded, even the whole texting her afterwards is just giving her free validation... You need to kill that part of you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Homelander

Honestly think Irish women are the pickiest women on Earth, and are only on these apps to be plamased more so than dating anyone! Probably a very long rant for this thread, but sure if people don't like what I said, whatever, my opinion.

Sorry man you actually sound like a bit unhinged, and that's even from your own version of events. I'd hate to hear her side of it to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Newspaper classifieds FTW.

Actually a lot of this stuff is nothing new. I remember when we were kids we'd laugh at the newspaper classifieds. One really stuck with me. Some guy in his thirties describing himself as "one of the lads" - as if any woman is out there dreaming of The One as some indistinguishable blob of no distinct personality.

It's like a lot of people, men and women, are just oblivious to what each other want, or more likely can't be bothered thinking about it and then just retreat into bitterness when they don't immediately get what they want. You get it with women too. Tinder's full of girls putting up job descriptions like "Assistant Manager - Lifestyle Sports", no men care about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,156 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Newspaper classifieds FTW.

Incurable romantic seeks filthy slut.

• Advertisement
Advertisement