Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cold Spell Media Forecasts and Model Output (General Chat)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,984 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Scotland, parts of Northern Ireland having worse snow for 20 years :eek:

yes. it's the worst snow in northern ireland for 25 years. i think higher parts of northern ireland will see close to 18 inches of snow if this were to continue untill Saturday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

BEASTERLY wrote: »

Hope folks in the north and west are enjoying there mickey mouse dusting.
    Think Nacho might have something to say about that!

Met eireanns outlook has changed for xmas day now, given cold up to and including the big day :D

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    M.T says south bearing the brunt AGAIN!:D

Hope folks in the north and west are enjoying there mickey mouse dusting.

I'm happy with my measly dusting:D. who knew it was such a competitive sport:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

ch750536 wrote: »
    Allegedly some forecaster said 'it wont be as bad as it was 2 weeks ago'. Several people have told me this today. I point out the window - 'Can you see snow, cus we didnt have any 2 weeks ago here. So it is already worse than it was 2 weeks ago, for us.'

Damn silly dublin forecast for the whole country syndrome methinks.
    That indeed was a very misleading statment from Met Eireann.
    Sure some people here were quoting her and expecting nothing, we have more snow here now than the last big freeze. Its all geared for Dublin as you say, the grit ,the media coverage etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ciaranm

Can I ask, what does M.T. know, or claim to know, that the rest of you weather boffins don't?

I'm quite new to all this. I drop in for extreme weather. Drizzle doesn't excite.
    Is M.T. at a different level to everyone else... a cut above?

Sorry, I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers. Just to get a handle on what to expect.

ciaranm wrote: »
    Can I ask, what does M.T. know, or claim to know, that the rest of you weather boffins don't?

/QUOTE]

well i would be confident in what he says given he predicted December would be a exceptional month way back in early November. as he says himself he is due a reversal, so even if he gets the next couple of days wrong he deserves tremendous credit overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

I'm happy with my measly dusting:D. who knew it was such a competitive sport:pac:

It must be tough, my scraps left from 3 weeks are probaly deeper than what you have now, i feel for ya.:D

Only takin the piss;)

well i would be confident in what he says given he predicted December would be a exceptional month way back in Early November. as he says himself he is due reversal, so even if he gets the next couple of days wrong he deserves tremendous credit overall.

Sure, right or wrong, I'm not knocking the guy.
    It's not an exact science, I get that.

I've looked through the competition threads though. And while he's right up near the top, there are others that are seemingly just as credible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I'm quite new to all this. I drop in for extreme weather. Drizzle doesn't excite.
    Is M.T. at a different level to everyone else... a cut above?

Sorry, I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers. Just to get a handle on what to expect.

Hes a climatologist... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

Sure, right or wrong, I'm not knocking the guy.
    It's not an exact science, I get that.

I've looked through the competition threads though. And while he's right up near the top, there are others that are seemingly just as credible.

Its quite something the way everyone nearly has a different idea of what to expect ona NEXT DAY EVENT, normally we would have a good idea on the next day by now. Ah well time will tell:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Why was the post about N.Ireland removed ?

Opr

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Hes a climatologist... :rolleyes:

Alright, fair enough. What's everyone else then?
    I guess what I'm asking is, is M.T.'s opinion more valid that everyone elses?

Oh forget it, I can see I am ruffling feathers. If even just my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Why was the post about N.Ireland removed ?

Having posted it , I moved it to the other thread, as it is not really about model output.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bkelly86

How accurate are the predictive sequences on the raintoday website?

bkelly86 wrote: »
    How acurate are the predictive sequences on the raintoday website?

unless you have a login, they're not predictive at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

seems the north has a bad situation hi

unless you have a login, they're not predictive at all
    I signed up to the premium for a look, going by the forecast on there alot more snow seems to be pushing south-east.

I signed up to the premium for a look, going by the forecast on there alot more snow seems to be pushing south-east.

Oh, cool. Fair play to you.

Not sure how cool it is to be posting screenshots of their content, but I wouldn't mind a look.

Is raintoday predicting it all coming in from the north-west?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Screen shot prediction anyone? or is that a breach of copyright . . .???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I'm getting beers in preparation for the 18z, it's bound to look epic after them !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Screen shot prediction anyone? or is that a breach of copyright . . .???

Well people have been putting them up here for the last few weeks

here's the prediction for 21:00, its all pushing in from the north-west on the predictive sequence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

How accurate are the predictive sequences on the raintoday website?
    good for direction of precip but they do not factor in the weakening of precip as you forward on after actual readings

here's the prediction for 21:00, its all pushing in from the north-west on the predictive sequence.
    that is incorrect. all the premium version is doing is showing you what was over another part of the country at 6.30pm. While the path of the precip is correct the intensity shown there is not

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    good for direction of precip but they do not factor in the weakening of precip as you forward on after actual readings

Yeah i was thinking myself all showers were holding up well to make it that far inland.

that is incorrect. all the premium version is doing is showing you what was over another part of the country at 6.30pm. While the path of the precip is correct the intensity shown there is not

Do you think there is much chance of anything coming from the north-west making it across the country?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

I'm still a bit puzzled as to why MT is saying that the South East will get the most snow over the next few days. The showers that the west and south west are getting at the moment don't seem strong enough to make it to the corner of the country. Met Eireann are saying very little about the south east as are the models. I suppose MT has his reasons why he is predicting this, but i'm wondering on what basis :confused:

Do you think there is much chance of anything coming from the north-west making it across the country?
    they are making their way across the country. Snow in various parts of the midlands as well as Kildare and Meath at present. SE will not see much from these showers though unless a more organised band of showers develops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

I'm still a bit puzzled as to why MT is saying that the South East will get the most snow over the next few days. The showers that the west and south west are getting at the moment don't seem strong enough to make it to the corner of the country. Met Eireann are saying very little about the south east as are the models. I suppose MT has his reasons why he is predicting this, but i'm wondering on what basis :confused:

On the Hirlam model there is precp pushing in, sun

• Advertisement

very interesting little feature pushing towards SW
    http://www.sat24.com/gb

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

On the Hirlam model there is precp pushing in, sun

Looking at the RTE forecast there now its more clear to me how the south east and east might get some snow over the weekend. The winds are changing to a more east and North East direction from tomorrow and basically this is the only way for us in the south east to get anything thats resembles heavy snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Sorry, I've been lurking, reading, checking model runs, trying to stay awake, and wondering about that offer I heard on the radio while waiting for my one minute interview, something about a car I could have from Germany for only a million euros. Sounds good, I may get a picture of it first though.

Anyway, I was stressing southeast Ireland on the radio and have been in my forecasts from tomorrow on, and I think we can look back at previous forecasts to establish that today's snow in north and west has been well predicted. Even there, reports on this forum tend to range from 3 cms to 20 or more cms in Connacht which shows that any given regional forecast number is an average which your local situation may exceed or fall short.

I will be updating the forecast soon, after reviewing all the model runs and trying to make sense of what's currently unfolding. I think that the models are having more trouble than is worth describing here but I do feel that you can get a sense of the overall evolution and then decide from there what details are most likely to verify. Otherwise, I am stuck saying it's going to be cold and there could be snow if snow develops sort of a thing, which I think would be a waste of the reader's time since that is already obvious to anyone who is already interested in the weather.

Looks to me at present that the feature moving south into Ulster is the reflection of the polar vortex and should move generally SSE then SE next 12 to 18 hours. This should bring in a period of accumulating snow to the east and southeast. Will be somewhat conservative on the update for amounts with this (in those regions). The activity still moving in from the west may become steady-state, weaken a bit, then redevelop tomorrow as the PV arrives and begins to split in terms of upper and surface features.

From that point on, it's mainly a question of how strong the almost daily cycle of low pressure formation to the southwest tracking around south of Ireland will prove to be -- here's where the models are having all sorts of trouble. Some models look fairly robust on this energy and this is why I mentioned the potential for 10-15 cm snowfalls but as that radio interview was so shortened, I wasn't able to chat about details and would have said these are totals for different events that might peak in different places, also the snow will tend to be low-density and easy to compact, so even where some place sees several falls, the cumulative effect will be less than just adding the daily amounts, it will settle and the further snowfalls would weigh down the layers underneath. In that way, you could theoretically see 10 cms a day for three days but only have 12-15 cms at the end of the three days.

I'm sure that's more than enough for most people, and clearly this is all somewhat speculative, however, I have to say that I see a spectrum of possibilities that also includes an all-out major snowstorm, sooner or later with a frontal boundary like this established near 48-50 deg N, that New Years 1979 setup could show up in the mix. I saw some potential for a storm of that intensity during this 3-5 day period and if not, the current model runs are also suggesting potential for a major storm around 25-27 Dec now. As I thought, the GFS has totally abandoned the milder track for the weekend and kept the weekend lows in the Channel.

Okay, heading over to update the forecast after one last look at radar. Enjoy what you get, as JB says (we chatted once in 1979, a frightening experience for both of us, I think). :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Looking at the RTE forecast there now its more clear to me how the south east and east might get some snow over the weekend. The winds are changing to a more east and North East direction from tomorrow and basically this is the only way for us in the south east to get anything thats resembles heavy snow.

It really seems to depend on the wind directions. The winds look to be coming more from the east Sunday and Monday, driving the snow over the east and south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

very interesting little feature pushing towards SW
    http://www.sat24.com/gb

Is it this one Wolfe? If so will miss the Sw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Anyone care to give a brief run down of the forecast? Missed it after the news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Harps wrote: »
    Anyone care to give a brief run down of the forecast? Missed it after the news

Same thing really, snow could fall anywhere, the location of the LP,s is causing them trouble

I'm sure that's more than enough for most people, and clearly this is all somewhat speculative, however, I have to say that I see a spectrum of possibilities that also includes an all-out major snowstorm, sooner or later with a frontal boundary like this established near 48-50 deg N, that New Years 1979 setup could show up in the mix. I saw some potential for a storm of that intensity during this 3-5 day period and if not, the current model runs are also suggesting potential for a major storm around 25-27 Dec now. As I thought, the GFS has totally abandoned the milder track for the weekend and kept the weekend lows in the Channel.
    :

it would be absolutely incredible if a snowstorm were to happen. just a quick question M.T. how many snowdances would one have to do to make it happen? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Channel 4 news had a good lead story on the snow in Britain and the North, they said the UK met Office think it will be the coldest December ever in Britain if the second half of the month remains cold.

The presenter had a great dig at London, saying how over excited they'll get if they have two snowflakes. Seems the media being Capital City-centric is common in many places.

it would be absolutely incredible if a snowstorm were to happen. just a quick question M.T. how many snowdances would one have to do to make it happen? :pac:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_storm

Scroll down to 'Snow Storms'..

Dublin gets a surprise mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Does MTs latest forecast seem to be a downgrade for Waterford City particularly? I'm still on baby delivery watch. I wonder should I call her 'Cranium'.... The missis mightn't go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

What are the latest charts showing... anyone?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Trotter wrote: »
    Does MTs latest forecast seem to be a downgrade for Waterford City particularly? I'm still on baby delivery watch. I wonder should I call her 'Cranium'.... The missis mightn't go for it.

'Cranium Trotter' has a nice ring to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Nacho libre, you've already had a snowstorm so you must know the right moves. :D

Yes, I would say downgrade of forecast for southeast but not to the extent of saying no significant snowfalls, just removing the heaviest amounts from the table, would still be quite significant at even 5-10 cms a day.

Situation is clearly "fluid" and any snow that does occur can quickly become heavy as we've seen in the north and northwest. One factor is that this snow has low water ratios, meaning you get roughly twice the snow depth for the amount of available moisture, compared to average for snow. It's a fairly light, powdery snow that's being reported. Will settle to more compact depths in some places after a few hours.

By the way, let me know if you measure any snow to water ratios at your own locations. I would find it helpful, just to explain what I mean here, normally 10 cms of snow would melt down to 10 mms if you had a rain gauge, took the snow inside and let it melt. That would be the average. This kind of snow might melt down to only 5 mms of liquid. So it has a 20:1 ratio instead of 10:1 as perhaps last time with the streamers. On the other hand, a heavy wet snowfall that you sometimes get, might leave 15 mms for the 10 cms of snow. That would be more like a 7:1 ratio. We get those here sometimes and they are killers to shovel. The dry stuff you can sweep away sometimes. Those heavy lake effect storms are often 20:1 or higher ratios.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

That system showing up on sat24 that has been moving into north kerry clare could give some decent falls, It's just showing up on radar now should have better idea on the next frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

nacho libre whereabouts are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

The wind in Waterford city has changed from WNW to W in the last hour, I'm hoping this may mean that the system showing up on sat24.com will favor the southeast

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Any of you know whats in store for Athlone tonight? Not sure whether we come in under connaccht or leinster since we are bang on the boarder

Hoping for lashings of snow.

What are predictictions?:)

baraca wrote: »
    That system showing up on sat24 that has been moving into north kerry clare could give some decent falls, It's just showing up on radar now should have better idea on the next frame.
    heading into south kerry and west cork i think baraca

• Advertisement
Advertisement