Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Media Forecasts and Model Output (General Chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

noworries wrote: »
    All forums have histories..... 2 years ago - pram, toys everywhere....

I don't even know what this is about:D:eek:

I must be too innocent.

My remark was just about my dislike for some people coming on from other sites, having an air of mystery and superiority surrounding them and having a little dig at the same time! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

roryc1 wrote: »
    Got to love ME forecast for tmrw

Tomorrow

Further snow showers in places

BBC reckons we are getting nothing , in the east

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    The outlook for next 24 hrs is very hard to pin down in terms of where the heaviest snow will be. We are now in a nowcasting situation. Met Eireann's outlook for tomorrow verifies this. Their outlook is simply: "Further snow showers in places"

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

places - "An area with definite or indefinite boundaries; a portion of space"

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Snow showers widespread across country this evening
    Overnight -6
    Ease off later tonight
    Snow showers tomorrow in East
    Much the same for Sunday,
    coninuing for the early part of next week.

Synoptic maps at end showing similar up to and including Tuesday

The live norwegian Met Sat is showing some interesting more substantial cloud coming in this general direction, as well as some low centre developments in the flow, but as for exactly where they will go, it's going to be nowcast territory, and watching the weather radars to see who's getting what.

Some of the pictures in the news at one of what's happening in Europe were thought provoking.

I had to love the pictures from Sweden of heavy snow falling on the motorways and the speed restrictions as a result being posted as 80Kph. OK, they probably have proper winter tyres, maybe even with studs in them. That said, from experience recently, when we had similar snow here, we were lucky if some drivers were even doing 8, let alone 80. It's been a sore point over the last 2 weeks, people doing 70 or more on a lane that's 10 Ft wide, then they get to a bit where there's snow or packed ice in the middle of their lane, and they suddenly (sometimes dangerously) slow to about 20 Kph, and put fog gaurd lights or even hazard warning lights on, in broad daylight and clear conditions.

The stupidity of that is that their tyres are still running on EXACTLY the same conditions as they were 200 mtrs earlier, so if 70 was safe, it still is, especially when it's clear that the lanes are wet and not icy in any way, as is revealed by the significant water spray that's being thrown up:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:!

To sum up the present scenario, it ain't over till the fat lady sings, there's some significant mileage in the present scenario that's by no means played out yet.

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Ger Fleming was wheeled out?! That inspires me with more confidence so. I assume he wouldn't be taking the piss!

This is going to be interesting to see what happens this eve and night because the UK Met Office is giving us clear conditions for later and Met Eirrean giving this band of snow to cross the country later.:confused:

Who's right and who's wrong? or should i say which module is right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    This is going to be interesting to see what happens this eve and night because the UK Met Office is giving us clear conditions for later and Met Eirrean giving this band of snow to cross the country later.:confused:

Who's right and who's wrong? or should i say which module is right?

Eagle is right. He said: " the East and South will get snow tonight"

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭kegg

3hr precip chart showing a some heavy precip moving SSE

http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/3hr-rain.gif
    Thats lookin good for us in castlebar!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Flemming said on the news “places that have got snow through the night…will pretty much have snow for the next 72 hours” He said everywhere else should get some except for the furthest South (Cork? :rolleyes:).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I don't even know what this is about:D:eek:

I must be too innocent.

My remark was just about my dislike for some people coming on from other sites, having an air of mystery and superiority surrounding them and having a little dig at the same time! ;)

You said things along the same lines yourself the charts are all over the place but don't support what many are forecasting, I think T9 was just giving an overall report of what most members of IWN forum have been saying.

Some of the posts here and on other websites have been totally Over The Top in recent days and I think T9 was simply saying most of the IWN members haven't supoprted those OTT forecasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

If we do get anything in the east and south tonight it will be light, Im afraid its not looking good for heavy snow, we will wait to see what the gfs 12z run says

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ciaranm

If we do get anything in the east and south tonight it will be light, Im afraid its not looking good for heavy snow, we will wait to see what the gfs 12z run says

What time is that released?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

gone very dark here in north meath now, could this be the ''greenland express'' :eek:

ciaranm wrote: »
    It's getting a bit tribal

It's like the Mods and the Rockers around here. There could be a rumble. :eek:

Tornado9 must be a Rocker... because Weathercheck and Trogdor are both the Mods on these forums. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

inabina wrote: »
    Eagle is right. He said: " the East and South will get snow tonight"

When he was interviewed on TodayFM this morning he didn't sound that definite about tonight as he then went on to say if it didn't happen tonight it would happen sooner or later over the next few days.

maybe you should take the word 'we' out of the sentence so.

LOL

A lot of members HERE could use the term "WE" in that context. T9 wasn't trying to plug any site unlike others here, not looking too far away either ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tornando9

snow ghost wrote: »
    It's like the Mods and the Rockers around here. There could be a rumble. :eek:

Tornado9 must be a Rocker... because Weathercheck and Trogdor are both the Mods on these forums. ;)

I come in peace to spread love and unity. Its everyones weather.

I wasn't aware there was history.

I wasn't having a dig i was just expressing the general consensus elsewhere.

I'm done with this and am going back into my hole.

Happy forecasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ciaranm

Tornando9 wrote: »

Happy forecasting.

No, it's OUR weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭giggsirish

Villain you seen any precip in carlow? wondering how snow fell in newbridge/Kilcullen earlier. Grant it only for a few minutes. Cant see from radar how its possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

giggsirish wrote: »
    Villain you seen any precip in carlow? wondering how snow fell in newbridge/Kilcullen earlier. Grant it only for a few minutes. Cant see from radar how its possible.

Would the direction of the airflow onto the Dublin/Wicklow mountains have anything to do with that ?

• Advertisement

giggsirish wrote: »
    I'm not in Carlow but got report of very light graupel about 10 mins ago. Radar doesn't always pick up the snow showers 100%. During the recent bad snow spell radar had my location under light or no snow and it was pelting down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Villain wrote: »
    LOL

A lot of members HERE could use the term "WE" in that context. T9 wasn't trying to plug any site unlike others here, not looking too far away either ;)
    Come on now Villian. Don't be silly.

My website endorses what boards does and says. I will sink or swim with boards. IWN does what it does and excellently so may I add. I just do not like any attempt being made to create tension.

All of us back to the weather if poss and drop the keyboard commando routines.

For what it's worth, convective activity to the NW and W is really throwing up some beefy showers.

Tornando9 wrote: »

Happy forecasting.

Errrrh I was only joking about you being a rocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

So there's no hope anymore??:(:(

Come on now Villian. Don't be silly.

My website endorses what boards does and says. I will sink or swim with boards. IWN does what it does and excellently so may I add. I just do not like any attempt being made to create tension.

All of us back to the weather if poss and drop the keyboard commando routines.

For what it's worth, convective activity to the NW and W is really throwing up some beefy showers.
    I think you mis-read what T9 had to say to be honest, he wasn't trying to create tension just telling people what others had been saying.

The reaction to him was totally OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

I am getting reports of great difficulties being experienced from family in kerry and particularly Tralee currently where historically NEVER gets such snowfalls so it may be a bit premature to say snowfest is not happening....it is just localised at present...

I am trying to catch up with charts etc but in experts opinion trying to read through the latest posts here is there an argument brewing about a downgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

http://www.sat24.com/

Does this not mean its on the way to east coast?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

goodies wrote: »
    I am getting reports of great difficulties being experienced from family in kerry and particularly Tralee currently where historically NEVER gets such snowfalls so it may be a bit premature to say snowfest is not happening....it is just localised at present...

I am trying to catch up with charts etc but in experts opinion trying to read through the latest posts here is there an argument brewing about a downgrade?

Ignore the tiff and wait until mid afternoon for an update on the models :)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sillybird

Its has been 100% correct for the North and West :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

http://www.sat24.com/

Does this not mean its on the way to east coast?
    IMO it looks like it will go into the irish sea

Advertisement