Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Had a van behind me on George's street this morning and the spidey senses starting tingling - could hear the low gear, crawling along behind and to my right, nothing ahead of him. Definitely on the phone. He eventually passes, when he manages to figure out how to multitask and get into second gear, and I see whats up. He's got his headphones in and he's having a facetime call. In a company van. From a very well-known, and nearby, food hall/restaurant.

At the next set of lights I asked him to put the phone down. He replied "Why?", i.e. "I don't care". Then he saw the camera and and panicked, ended the call. Good to know he doesn't care about anyone else on the roads, but the risk of being caught by a cyclist with a camera, who might* just email the pics to his employer immediately, is what worries him and makes him stop. Prick.

*did

MOD NOTE: <deleted> poster cannot respond in thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

What is the situation with box junctions? With cars turning across the box, should a cyclist stop to let them across them pass?
    Its risky if car cant see a cyclist passing on inside. I stopped, and was shouted by another cyclist behind..."hey, you are breaking the code".
    Roads joining Ranelagh road, are really dangerous with this sort of driver behaviour.
    Theres also the crazy lady filming cyclists each morning, with commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Everyone in their cars today seemed in such a rush to get to the next set of traffic lights.

Also, spotted an ad on a bus for a "respect" campaign for taxi drivers, had to do a double take on it but its actually true!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

What is the situation with box junctions? With cars turning across the box, should a cyclist stop to let them across them pass?
    Its risky if car cant see a cyclist passing on inside. I stopped, and was shouted by another cyclist behind..."hey, you are breaking the code".
    Roads joining Ranelagh road, are really dangerous with this sort of driver behaviour.
    Presumably you mean you’re proceeding straight through the box, and there is a car coming the opposite direction on the same road, turning right across your path? If so, you have right of way. Proceed with caution, at a speed low enough to stop, but not so low as to make it look like you’re giving way. Make eye contact with anyone turning right if possible. Stopping suddenly, other than to avoid someone turning into you, is confusing for those behind and although they should be prepared for it, they might not be.

The crazy lady sounds interesting. I’ve a week off next week, might check her out if the weather’s nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

I got passed by somebody in a Renault Zoe on the road to Kilaloe from Limerick around 6pm this evening who decided to reduce his carbon footprint further by trying to murder me.

There can't have been more than a few inches in it.

The worst pass I've had in a long time and I'm fairly sure he didn't even notice. I was also helmetless which I'd recently decided would discourage close passes. I think I'm going to revisit that decision!

• Advertisement

You need to be careful there, you do have right of way but what good is right and dead???

I recently had to let a shout at a guy in front of me as there were 2 vans on our side front of the queue at the yellow box which would have given someone turning right no chance to see him filter and I'd spotted a car turning right before I got to the vans.

You also need to be aware in case the car up ahead is letting someone out, in that case maybe car on your left is being flashed by the first car at the box on your side to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A 'near miss' from the 'opposite' side.

I nearly creamed a cyclist at the junction of Aungier St/Kevin St this evening. I was in the car and had a green light when he ploughed through the junction at speed from my right. Thankfully I was only pottering along and managed to stop on the button. Scared the fcuking crap out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I nearly creamed a cyclist at the junction of Aungier St/Kevin St this evening. I was in the car and had a green light when he ploughed through the junction at speed from my right. Thankfully I was only pottering along and managed to stop on the button. Scared the fcuking crap out of me.

So sorry to hear you now hate all cyclists unreservedly. :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Hope he was paying "road tax" and wearing a helmet...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭crisco10

She's still there?? first saw her back in may-ish or so and she was taping me waiting to go thru the lights. then screamed at a woman on a bike as she went by,. ...

takes all sorts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

So just to clarify, are you saying that;
    • the amount of cyclists going through red lights has increased massively, or
    • the amount of cyclists saying its ok once safe to go through red lights has increased massively, or both?

And if so, can you please confirm your source for either or both of these claims?

And once again, your claim that "this has now spread to motorists" is complete nonsense. Motorists didn't need any help from anyone to break lights or break the law.

Just as an FYI, dude has been banned from posting in this thread (see here) so you won't be getting a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

Witnessed a very near miss this morning. Saw it coming a mile away!

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3627169,-6.2983928,3a,75y,168.61h,87.91t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sfmY-fY78myxTQpbqoJPC4Q!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DfmY-fY78myxTQpbqoJPC4Q%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.revgeo_and_fetch.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D96%26h%3D64%26yaw%3D147.08615%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

I'm the first car in the queue at the roundabout. Traffic ahead so I'm hanging back. Queue of traffic behind me as well. Cyclist coming up the inside going straight through and I can see a people carrier coming up behind me on my right (fully on the wrong side of the road) overtaking 10+ cars in the process, indicating left. Only for some almost acrobatic action from the cyclist it would have been a disaster. Driver seemed slightly apologetic before speeding off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Witnessed a very near miss this morning. Saw it coming a mile away!

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3627169,-6.2983928,3a,75y,168.61h,87.91t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sfmY-fY78myxTQpbqoJPC4Q!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DfmY-fY78myxTQpbqoJPC4Q%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.revgeo_and_fetch.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D96%26h%3D64%26yaw%3D147.08615%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

I'm the first car in the queue at the roundabout. Traffic ahead so I'm hanging back. Queue of traffic behind me as well. Cyclist coming up the inside going straight through and I can see a people carrier coming up behind me on my right (fully on the wrong side of the road) overtaking 10+ cars in the process, indicating left. Only for some almost acrobatic action from the cyclist it would have been a disaster. Driver seemed slightly apologetic before speeding off.
    Sorry, he drove up the right of a queue of traffic, on the wrong side of the road, to go around the roundabout the wrong way, to go left??

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

Breezer wrote: »
    Sorry, he drove up the right of a queue of traffic, on the wrong side of the road, to go around the roundabout the wrong way, to go left??

Didn't technically go "around the roundabout the wrong way" but yeah he drove up the right of the queue of traffic I was in and turned left cutting across the front of me (not moving), but almost taking a cyclist out of it who was proceeding straight through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭tnegun

Had very similar happen me a few weeks back in road works. Temporary lights and a one way system was in operation causing a long queue, approx 20 meters back from the lights was the entrance to a housing estate and a guy at the back couldn't wait. I was filtering along the inside of the queue approaching the entrance to the estate when I heard a car accelerating as he was passing the cars in the queue to cut in to the estate. I began to slow suspecting that might happen and at the same time the driver in the queue at the entrance saw what was about to happen e.g. the car would turn in front of him into the estate and cut it very close to me and pulled forward to block him. Cue lots of beeping from the impatient queue skipper but fair play to that driver for being alert enough to see what could happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

crisco10 wrote: »
    She's still there?? first saw her back in may-ish or so and she was taping me waiting to go thru the lights. then screamed at a woman on a bike as she went by,. ...

takes all sorts.
    Which junction? Any description? Would be nice to give her a big smile and a friendly wave?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Her name is on her instagram, lets not start some weird doxxing thing against someone who is easlily identifiable. We are not lije some of those weird sites promoting such behaviour. If she is doing something illegal or dangerous, go to the gardai, lets not start any witch hunts agianst someone who so far just seems to be really annoying and nothing else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

near miss i witnessed earlier, thankfully not a near miss for me - on this section of road earlier, which is a slight downhill so i was probably doing 35km/h plus.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4827513,-6.3302434,3a,75y,1.01h,88.5t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stQxzhLU4g4q1-dLz2eKprw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
    i was overtaken by one car, and then a second; not the greatest place to overtake a cyclist, but hey ho. but the second motorist, instead of pulling in, stayed in the oncoming lane to overtake the first one, who just at that moment decided to delay pulling back into lane fully - i think to avoid a branch on the road, and this happened just as the second one was pulling alongside. so he had to slam on, but then gunned it anyway to get past. it's not a straight road; 200m later i passed two cyclists going in the opposite direction, so if the timing had been a little more coincidental, it would possibly have - at best - put the heart crossways in them.

then abuot two hours later, a chap in a northern reg small commercial van overtook me on a blind bend on another country lane, forcing an oncoming motorist to drop his or her wheels off the side of the road. low slung merc, i belt they got quite a jolt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Odd one this morning. At the crossroads of Aungier Street and Stephen Street, heading towards Dame Street. 3 cyclists at the light waiting. It goes green, we all go to set off, and a taxi blasts through the red from our left, straight through the junction. The 3 of us hesitate, one of the lads wobbles a bit, and the car behind sits on the horn. :rolleyes:

I gave him a confused look at continue on. He pulls up beside me at Dame St junction. I said "there's no need for that, we knew it was green, but the taxi flew through red"

"Oh I know, the other guy on the bike wobbled a bit so I beeped to let him know I was behind him".

Uh, what?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Black van overtook me in Shankill with oncoming traffic and me doing the speed limit, but anyways. Round the next corner he brake checks a car behind him, not sure if intentional or not but on we go. Get to the roundabout at Loughlinstown and I move into the right lane as I am turning right. Black van indicates left in the left lane and then proceeds to go round the entire roundabout to turn right. Winds down his window to let me know there is a cycle lane over there (points randomly to his left). I cannot respond properly because unlike him, I am focused on the road. He then proceeds to berate me for 100m, while I am trying to wait for him to move on so I can move into the left lane he cut me up on.

Not sure why he was wearing Latex gloves while driving, that left me a tad uncomfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

First video with my new camera (presumably the first of many :rolleyes:)
    Last Wednesday as I was passing Westmanstown, silver Fiesta decided to overtake me as another car was approaching in the opposite direction.
    Not blaming myself but normally I would have been further to my right not giving her the opportunity to overtake.
    I also left the bit in early on as people who know this stretch know that traffic would easily build up behind you. I pulled into a narrow hard shoulder out of courtest to let them pass. This hard shoulder wasn't along the stretch where she passed me...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Odd one this morning. At the crossroads of Aungier Street and Stephen Street, heading towards Dame Street. 3 cyclists at the light waiting. It goes green, we all go to set off, and a taxi blasts through the red from our left, straight through the junction. The 3 of us hesitate, one of the lads wobbles a bit, and the car behind sits on the horn. :rolleyes:

I gave him a confused look at continue on. He pulls up beside me at Dame St junction. I said "there's no need for that, we knew it was green, but the taxi flew through red"

"Oh I know, the other guy on the bike wobbled a bit so I beeped to let him know I was behind him".

Uh, what?

This junction is an accident waiting to happen. Cyclists setting off early from the lights are going to get creamed by a car at speed blasting through an aged red.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

tnegun wrote: »
    <snip>

On the misreading lights the worst junction has got to be the long mile and naas road coming from the nangor rd side. Almost every few minutes someone sees the next set go green and break a red light.

It's a very regular thing, but the lights are not great tbh. I saw this the day you posted. You can't see it from the video, but the lad in the wrong was giving it loads to the traffic in the right :D

For those who don't know the junction, the lights high up in the distance are not for my lane, those lights are right beside me. The far lights are for the traffic that yer man is annoyed with.

It can be confusing if it is your first time there.

https://streamable.com/r8mah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

I was lucky to be a bit back in the queue, but a few cyclists ahead of me turning right at Harold's Cross Bridge to go down the canal (from HX side) had very close calls with oncoming traffic.

Sequencing of the right-turn filter light changed so that it comes on long after the green lights, instead of at the same time, but they had gone ahead unaware of the change. They probably should have waited, but second nature to go ahead perhaps. Preferred the sequencing the old way. Being stuck in limbo in the right-turn box with 3-4 cars trying to squeeze by you isn't a fun time.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

I was lucky to be a bit back in the queue, but a few cyclists ahead of me turning right at Harold's Cross Bridge to go down the canal (from HX side) had very close calls with oncoming traffic.

Sequencing of the right-turn filter light changed so that it comes on long after the green lights, instead of at the same time, but they had gone ahead unaware of the change. They probably should have waited, but second nature to go ahead perhaps. Preferred the sequencing the old way. Being stuck in limbo in the right-turn box with 3-4 cars trying to squeeze by you isn't a fun time.

If the sequencing of some lights around Dublin City Centre was changed, i'd definitely get into a spot of bother in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CorkClaire82

That sequencing only changed to right arrow first in the past year and now it's gone back. I think right arrow first is miles better having experienced both but like you I was a bit back so luckily didn't go. There's no sign to alert you to the change in sequence either so it's confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

That sequencing only changed to right arrow first in the past year and now it's gone back. I think right arrow first is miles better having experienced both but like you I was a bit back so luckily didn't go. There's no sign to alert you to the change in sequence either so it's confusing.

I've always wondered if the City Council would notify the public if they were changing sequencing, but i suppose the onus is on the road user to react what is in front of them and not 'expect' it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

I've always wondered if the City Council would notify the public if they were changing sequencing, but i suppose the onus is on the road user to react what is in front of them and not 'expect' it.

I have seen notification signs once before when sequencing was changed for the pedestrian and bike lights on Sam Beckett Bridge, but even that was minimal and ignored!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

It's a very regular thing, but the lights are not great tbh. I saw this the day you posted. You can't see it from the video, but the lad in the wrong was giving it loads to the traffic in the right :D

For those who don't know the junction, the lights high up in the distance are not for my lane, those lights are right beside me. The far lights are for the traffic that yer man is annoyed with.

They have changed the sequence on this junction (milltown / clonskeagh near ranelagh):

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3183326,-6.2417935,3a,75y,334.15h,85.2t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sjVlwR9_Jt0IcU0CRQqmhLQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DjVlwR9_Jt0IcU0CRQqmhLQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D60.556324%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

Stopped giving a straight ahead filter arrow because too many motorists were turning left on it accross a pedestrian crossing that is showing green. Its a pity really because the straight on arrow let cyclists stopped at lights get ahead of traffic planning to turn left to head towards Milltown and avoid left hooks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Doesn't help you have people in the left lane driving over the lane marker into the second lane. Very surprised I haven't been hit by someone when driving in front of me going through in the second lane in the car.

Also doesn't help the painted lane markers are usually under traffic close to the lights.

Understandably a tricky junction, but once you realise everyone is coming from the right you tend to notice it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement