Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Comments

beauf wrote: »
    Have an entrance fee for the park, for pedestrians, cyclists and cars.

Let people vote with their wallet of they want to be there.

For pedestrians????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

For pedestrians????

It's to make up for them not paying"road tax"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Surely just make it paid parking. That would disincentivise the commuters and shoppers, who use it as a parking lot. Maybe free for an hour or two and then jack up the prices

I'd agree in principle but the place would be ruined with signage and in fairness to OPW they keep that kind of pollution to the absolute minimum in the Park.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'd agree in principle but the place would be ruined with signage and in fairness to OPW they keep that kind of pollution to the absolute minimum in the Park.

I think that a single big board at every entrance would be fine. Rather have some signage if it meant less parking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

For pedestrians????

Pay for the upkeep of the park.
    You use it. You pay for it.

Pay for the upkeep of the park.
    You use it. You pay for it.

You’re right. There should also be a fee for walking on the pavement in the city

You’re right. There should also be a fee for walking on the pavement in the city

Who do think pays for them...

Have an entrance fee for the park, for pedestrians, cyclists and cars.

Let people vote with their wallet of they want to be there.

Ah would ya cop on to life.

Phoenix Park is the jewel in the crown of the OPW, they run it on behalf of the people of Ireland and they use our taxes to do it, pretty well overall. Would you dream of seeing a charge for pedestrian entry into Hyde Park or Richmond Park or the Tiergarten?! Let's be serious here.

Ah would ya cop on to life.

Phoenix Park is the jewel in the crown of the OPW, they run it on behalf of the people of Ireland and they use our taxes to do it, pretty well overall. Would you dream of seeing a charge for pedestrian entry into Hyde Park or Richmond Park or the Tiergarten?! Let's be serious here.

It’s a wind up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Doesn't matter, no one is listening, no one who can decide really cares.

North Road for through traffic, no parking ever on Chesterfield.

Paid parking everywhere else.

Pedestrians and cyclists free to enter. It is important to protect the fabric of this wonderful park. For everyone.

Be better and safer with no People.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Be better and safer with no People.

Are you feeling ok beauf? What are you really trying to say here. I don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭d15ude

Are you feeling ok beauf? What are you really trying to say here. I don't get it.

don't feed the troll...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭Phil.x

beauf is an old disillusioned cyclist who's now caught between the paddles of a bike and a car.

It's a vicious cycle. I've gone all cranky in old age.

• Advertisement

The lockdown has created a few interesting dilemmas
    Before the lockdown I was planning on buying a new bike for commuting. My old one is worn out. Probably an eBike. Have to clear the old bikes first though. No space left! However we may end up working from home a lot more. So the bike maybe be only a 2 day week commuter. So it no longer needs to be an eBike. But even if it is. It can be something less sensible.

But I'm thinking of buying a cheap MTB in the interim to enjoy the rest of the summer. Almost bought it earlier. Might do it now.

I'm also wondering the same with the car and the train. I didn't renew the annual rail pass this year. I'm not likely to need it again I'm thinking.

So what this got to do with the Park I hear you not asking. Nothing. Though we've been exploring all over looking for trails locally within range of not driving. While researching that I found this...

https://youtu.be/Dj6yzO0Zf3k

It amazes me how many people go to the park and walk along the main road. Like what is the point in that!!!

There are so many wonderful little walk ways and trails etc.

For someone like me that was forced to move outside Dublin, I’d hate to think you can’t park your car in the park.

Its just easier to access I assume. Or at least it was. Handy for a buggy, roller blades, balance bikes etc. Some people like a easy measurable distance. I suppose its a bit like road cycling vs mountain biking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭daymobrew

While researching that I found this...

https://youtu.be/Dj6yzO0Zf3k
    FYI: There are bee hives on the opposite side of the canal just before the 11th lock (before train station).
    I didn't realise there were steps to the platform - I'd suggested such an entrance during the public consultation about the Ashtown/Castleknock greenway.

Back before where the video starts you can go over the footbridge. It's fun to watch the cars speeding down the off ramp from M50 southbound to N3 westbound. Or take the shortcut to Dunsink Lane. Then you can cycle up to Elm Green Golf Club or walk through this gate and explore area between the Tolka and Junction 6 (and it has a great view looking down on Junction 6 buildings and the N3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

So yes you don't understand the term unused space.

There's land at the back of Farmleigh they have used in the past as car parking just abandoned and derelict. There lots of areas on the fringe of the park that are pretty much dead ground, I've never seen deer or people anywhere near these areas in a lifetime of using the park. No one uses them because they are overgrown and/or inaccessible.

It would far better to have cars use those spaces than parked on the grass in the spaces that are used by people and animals.

You sound like Jeremy Clarkson.....

• Advertisement

Rosser wrote: »

..and you James May...?

Rosser wrote: »

All I was suggesting was moving the parking from the middle of the park (and on the grass) to the fringes of it. As is the case with most other parks.

What followed was a lot of whataboutery about concreting the whole park and not allowed to charge anything because it's been unchanged since the pyramids. When it's had loads of changes through the years.

Every park is busy even the ones with no roads. I wonder why that is? Pandemic maybe, schools and work closed? Of course not. Lol.

Most of the traffic in the park and parking is caused by the opw and poor traffic management. They could stop it if they wished. They choose not to. Likewise the sorry state of the cycling facilities in the park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Most of the traffic in the park and parking is caused by the opw and poor traffic management..

Nope Jeremy most of the traffic in the park goes through it without stopping, some of the traffic stops and should have parking the rest should go other routes.

James

No James I'm referring not referring to how it is normally.

I'm referring to the current plan which is causing massive traffic jams (traffic) far worse than normal with a fraction of the normal traffic volume.

If they didn't let it in the park, it wouldn't have to queue to get out.
    Its normally dissipated (into much smaller jams) by having multiple exits. Now its bottle-necked into just one.
    Once they saw that happening they should have closed the entrance.

I wouldn't call being stuck in a traffic jam for over an hour "not stopping". But then again James May is renown for his sedate pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

No James I'm referring not referring to how it is normally.

I'm referring to the current plan which is causing massive traffic jams (traffic) far worse than normal with a fraction of the normal traffic volume.

If they didn't let it in the park, it wouldn't have to queue to get out.
    Its normally dissipated (into much smaller jams) by having multiple exits. Now its bottle-necked into just one.
    Once they saw that happening they should have closed the entrance.

I wouldn't call being stuck in a traffic jam for over an hour "not stopping". But then again James May is renown for his sedate pace.

I’ll correct you there. Once they saw this they should have reopened all the other gates. You’re welcome 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Meanwhile in Castleknock village, the pedestrian lights were changed to reduce pedestrian waiting (and help them maintain social distancing).
    Then the motorists complained and won. Boo!

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=677957889432705

I think the best plan is to avoid going anywhere near these places in a car unless you've no choice.

No traffic jams to be seen in the Phoenix park this morning :)

I don't think you've ever seen any problems with the park.
    bubblypop wrote: »
    Take it from someone who is in there everyday, there is no parking in grass on the north road. None at all.

bubblypop wrote: »
    There is no traffic chaos at the moment.
    Chesterfield Ave is much safer without cars parked either side.

I found a way of not seeing them also...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

daymobrew wrote: »
    Meanwhile in Castleknock village, the pedestrian lights were changed to reduce pedestrian waiting (and help them maintain social distancing).
    Then the motorists complained and won. Boo!

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=677957889432705

In fairness the lights were only allowing a handful of cars to go through at a time which was bonkers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

i think what was bonkers was cars driving through a living village were given priority over those going about their business on foot in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭mcgragger

There is already a cycle lane in the park and like it or not the car park there takes away from the congestion in town.
    They need to open the sides up again for parking/cyclists. I am a user of this method. My car gets left outside of the city and I cycle down to work. Its win win.

If they want to preserve cycling in the park why cant the exisitng lanes be slightly widened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

mcgragger wrote: »
    There is already a cycle lane in the park and like it or not the car park there takes away from the congestion in town.
    They need to open the sides up again for parking/cyclists. I am a user of this method. My car gets left outside of the city and I cycle down to work. Its win win.

If they want to preserve cycling in the park why cant the exisitng lanes be slightly widened?

But you can't possibly be in favour of parked cars lining the main road in the park all day just so commuters can get into town? If it eases congestion in town that's not the answer... a different conversation needs to happen then around traffic management.

Hurrache wrote: »
    i think what was bonkers was cars driving through a living village were given priority over those going about their business on foot in it.

When they make a bottleneck worse (against local objections) by putting a huge supermarket in the middle of it, and an extra signal, and poorly design junction that the traffic will worse. You kinda expect they'll compound it by change the signalling.

Maybe they'll ban cars from the village next. That would certainly make it a nice walking experience.

What ever happened to the proposed cycle lane along Castleknock Road.

The location of the current cycle lane caused problems with pedestrians.

Especially with Strava times.

maxsmum wrote: »
    But you can't possibly be in favour of parked cars lining the main road in the park all day just so commuters can get into town? If it eases congestion in town that's not the answer... a different conversation needs to happen then around traffic management.

Well its debatable if the all the parking was commuters.
    But people seem to have selective memories about it.

The OPW could clamp them, that would solve that. Or not open the gates till 9.30 in the morning. Close them again from 4 to 7pm. 7 days a week.

Simple solution, put pay and display parking on Chesterfield Avenue. With a 3 hour max parking time it wouldn't be worth while for anyone going to the city.

completely disagree. The park shouldn't be for city parking. It should be for park users only. Hopefully a charge is implemented after a certain length of stay, at a level to strongly dissuade commuters from parking there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Hurrache wrote: »

Castleknock Village is a bit of a traffic disaster though, and I don't think having a constant traffic jam is in anyones interest.

As for the park, I actually think it's better this way. And I say that as someone who commutes through it, at least before the pandemic.

• Advertisement

Simple solution, put pay and display parking on Chesterfield Avenue. With a 3 hour max parking time it wouldn't be worth while for anyone going to the city.

I would say free for three hours. And then a hefty charge per hour

completely disagree. The park shouldn't be for city parking. It should be for park users only. Hopefully a charge is implemented after a certain length of stay, at a level to strongly dissuade commuters from parking there.

The objective is to remove parking off the ave.

Charging for it won't help with that aim.

If its not there I am going to drive into town and park in the office. My car is on the road and I would prefer to keep it out of the city so the park is ideal.
    Chesterfield avenue is a prime route into the city. I know its unfortunate but thats the way of it. I have to drive.
    There is no public transport where I live to get me to the city and if I was to drive to a Dublin 15 suburb I would be facing a 2 hour each way public transport journey.

Maybe we need carparks in the suburbs and cycle lanes from them into the city.

If its not there I am going to drive into town and park in the office. My car is on the road and I would prefer to keep it out of the city so the park is ideal.
    Chesterfield avenue is a prime route into the city. I know its unfortunate but thats the way of it. I have to drive.
    There is no public transport where I live to get me to the city and if I was to drive to a Dublin 15 suburb I would be facing a 2 hour each way public transport journey.

Maybe we need carparks in the suburbs and cycle lanes from them into the city.

Its not an ideal situation, and more parking is perhaps needed somewhere to facilitate parking & cycling, or parking & bussing. But the Phoenix Park should not be the answer to that

The objective is to remove parking off the ave.

Charging for it won't help with that aim.

I'm not convinced that we want to move parking off the ave. There is and always will be heavy traffic down the ave, so why not have the parking too. Keep as many of the cars in one place as possible. Then the remainder of the park becomes more car free. If parking was moved to other areas in the park (in addition to the various car parks that already exist), then it would just spread the traffic around more.

Paying for parking would at least make sure that commuters dont use it

There is also no hard shoulder now on chesterfield Avenue if you happen to have car trouble. That will create some traffic Jam when it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There is also no hard shoulder now on chesterfield Avenue if you happen to have car trouble. That will create some traffic Jam when it happens.

As if people won't simply kick the cones aside and park there when that happens. You already encounter OPW vans parked along the cycle lane/hard shoulder.

Stark wrote: »
    As if people won't simply kick the cones aside and park there when that happens. You already encounter OPW vans parked along the cycle lane/hard shoulder.

I'll be doing that to park anyway, try and start a bit of critical mass. As I've said before, they didn't change the bye-laws to install that cycle lane, its just a bit of paint and its unenforceable.

Its not an ideal situation, and more parking is perhaps needed somewhere to facilitate parking & cycling, or parking & bussing. But the Phoenix Park should not be the answer to that

I agree overall but it is the answer for the last how ever many years. Alot of people rely on it for the same reason as me. I park by the Castleknock gate and its fairly empty at 7am when I get there. But down closer to the Zoo and its filling up.

The parking and Public transport is deplorable in Dublin. Had you seen or attempted to get on to a Luas at peak time pre Covid? Unreal.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I think it makes sense to remove the daily commuter parking, Phoenix park should not be a park and ride for the city centre. On the flip side however, the park is a destination itself where people need to park. The closure of the parking on Chesterfield Av now means I have to drive all the way to the Papal cross instead of just entering the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I'll be doing that to park anyway, try and start a bit of critical mass. As I've said before, they didn't change the bye-laws to install that cycle lane, its just a bit of paint and its unenforceable.

Wait until a cyclist crashes into the back of a parked car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement