Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Trek: Lower Decks (animated series)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

no, aint watched it since the first awful episode.

I dont watch shows I dont like, I know it seems a weird concept for some to understand, but you might be surprised how many people tend to not watch shows they did not like.

I never saw the animated series either as i had no interest.
    Still I am sure there will be trek fans unable to comprehend a trek fan could not watch a cartoon they did not like and the usual accusations will soon follow

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Only accusation is that it's odd to keep hanging around a thread for a show you vocally declare to hate; just so you can remind everyone you really hate the show. Cool, I guess? A show now approx 4 episodes past the point you gave up at that. It's a unique dedication of ones times & energy, I'll give you that ;) Why are you even still here? I'm only hanging around so I can keep tabs on the prevailing mood towards it, how/if it gets better - whereas you seemed more steadfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭Rawr

GSPfan wrote: »
    Why is Boimlers hair purple? He’s human, I assume fully human, but I was wondering why he has purple hair.

Not really important but I wonder will they reveal one of his parents is not human.

Likely a grandparent from Ribena 6

pixelburp wrote: »
    Only accusation is that it's odd to keep hanging around a thread for a show you vocally declare to hate; just so you can remind everyone you really hate the show. Cool, I guess? A show now approx 4 episodes past the point you gave up at that. It's a unique dedication of ones times & energy, I'll give you that ;) Why are you even still here? I'm only hanging around so I can keep tabs on the prevailing mood towards it, how/if it gets better - whereas you seemed more steadfast.

And of a show you are not watching; when you can not know the content/quality/direction it is taking, and hate animation (no anime? ouch).
    It is a very strange use of time

Stark wrote: »
    One of the highlights for me was seeing someone in the captain's chair who wasn't a human or Vulcan. Odd that Tellar Prime and Andoria were founding worlds but you never see representatives from the two species in key roles.

I always wished they'd do that more too. I get that budget/time constrains made it easier to just put a human there, but it would have been good to see more alien captains. It was a pan-galactic organisation after-all. Glad to see that animation is giving them a chance to draw in a properly alien-rich Starfleet.

I want to see a Gallamite

I haven;t posted in this thread for weeks I believe, but because I posted in the past I still get notifications, and will read the thread because I am curious to see the comments by others who thought the show was rubbish or found faults.

Regardless whether i like the show or not I am entitled to post on the thread, and respond to a person curious why a cartoon character would have purple hair.

If you like the show then thats good, then my dislike for it should not affect your opinion, if you dont like my comments ignore them.
    But as i said I knew it would not be long before someone found a reason to complain .
    Trek fans do get very defensive

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I haven;t posted in this thread for weeks I believe, but because I posted in the past I still get notifications, and will read the thread because I am curious to see the comments by others who thought the show was rubbish or found faults.

Regardless whether i like the show or not I am entitled to post on the thread, and respond to a person curious why a cartoon character would have purple hair.

If you like the show then thats good, then my dislike for it should not affect your opinion, if you dont like my comments ignore them.
    But as i said I knew it would not be long before someone found a reason to complain .

I'm not complaining, I'm just curious what you hope to gain in following a thread for a show you obviously, vocally hate. Ain't no skin off my nose, but if all you're here for is to share in some dogpiling, then it seems like a curious choice of energy for a 20 minute comedy show. Plenty of media I hate, but can't say I'd be inclined to follow a thread on Mrs. Browns Boys just to kick it around once in a while. The fine lines between discussion through constructive criticism or hate-watching I guess; but then you're not even doing the latter cos you ain't even watching the show ;)

I'm not complaining, I'm just curious what you hope to gain in following a thread for a show you obviously, vocally hate. Ain't no skin off my nose, but if all you're here for is to share in some dogpiling, then it seems like a curious choice of energy for a 20 minute comedy show. Plenty of media I hate, but can't say I'd be inclined to follow a thread on Mrs. Browns Boys just to kick it around once in a while. The fine lines between discussion through constructive criticism or hate-watching I guess; but then you're not even doing the latter cos you ain't even watching the show ;)

I am not sure what part of my post you had difficulty with.
    I like trek, run a trek website, but because I dont like that show dont mean I cannot read the thread and comments from others and reply to posts.
    And your analogy to Mrs Browns boys is ridiculous, as lower decks unlike Browns boys is not part of a franchise that I love as a whole.

Here is another thing, when lower decks finishes, I will watch the lot on fast forward, to check what logos etc appear on screen so that I can recreate for my site, plus people already have made requests of me to do lower decks wallpapers, already have one made, so I am keeping up to date on the show, will reads the threads, the news etc, but can still dislike the show and still comment.

Do you question people who dont like the notion of god, from commenting in a religion thread.
    Do you question why people who hate politicians would post on a political thread.
    This is a discussion forum, where people are entitled to comment on whatever they want.

• Advertisement

I am not sure what part of my post you had difficulty with.
    I like trek, run a trek website, but because I dont like that show dont mean I cannot read the thread and comments from others and reply to posts.
    And your analogy to Mrs Browns boys is ridiculous, as lower decks unlike Browns boys is not part of a franchise that I love as a whole.

Here is another thing, when lower decks finishes, I will watch the lot on fast forward, to check what logos etc appear on screen so that I can recreate for my site, plus people already have made requests of me to do lower decks wallpapers, already have one made, so I am keeping up to date on the show, will reads the threads, the news etc, but can still dislike the show and still comment.

Ooooookay so. Am I supposed to know you run a Trek site? Don't see any link in your bio or signature - am I being blind / stupid? - so not sure why you're waving it in my face like I should know better what Justin Credible Darts does with his / her spare time ;)

Not a question of entitlement Justin, just idle curiosity why you put yourself in a position to indulge in something you don't like. If it's some kind of fan-site martyrdom, that's at least a reason.

Do you question people who dont like the notion of god, from commenting in a religion thread.
    Do you question why people who hate politicians would post on a political thread.
    This is a discussion forum, where people are entitled to comment on whatever they want.

See "constructive criticism" in the post you quoted. I don't question anyone who brings "constructive" criticism, just those who Hate (not)Watch and if it's absolutely the best use of their free time :)

Backing out of this 'cos feels like you're waving your fandom like a shield. Not a fan of that type of Trek fandom. And I imagine everyone else in the thread is just bored by the bickering. I'll pray for you while your make your wallpapers ;)

I have advertised my trek site on this forum in the correct place....the star trek thread for sites....believe it is a "sticky" in this forums index
    I have posted pics I created in numerous threads on here also.
    you do know it is possible to love TOS, voyager, enterprise, DS9, the movies etc, and not like cartoons like lower decks and the animated series.
    They are not mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,932 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I don’t know if I’ll stick with this show long term if I’m honest. I don’t think it takes itself serious enough and I don’t think it’s funny for a show that tries to be. It’s got some funny moments but my primary emotion is annoyance.

I think this sums it up well. My recurring thought is "these people would never make it to the Academy, never mind senior positions"

Like take this latest episode - pretty good overall to be fair but marred by Mariner's childish antics and the other Captain putting the whole mission, and both ships and crews at risk because.. what? He was jealous? That just wouldn't happen!

It's frustrating because there IS a good show in here (unlike Discovery and Picard) but it's being dragged back constantly by what I presume is a poor effort to ape the success of The Orville

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Trek fans do get very defensive

Indeed you do.

One other thing.. so the ship was transformed by the alien compound and physically damaged by things bursting through doors and bulkheads... yet a quick gas release later, there's not a mark left?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    yet a quick gas release later, there's not a mark left?

The good ol' Trek reset button?

• Advertisement

Goodshape wrote: »
    The good ol' Trek reset button?

Yea but the next scene was at spacedock.. just would have been more consistent to have the ship surrounded by a drydock undergoing repairs or something (eg: like the -E at the end of Nemesis)

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I’m also not really understanding why they would call the show Lower Decks when every episode has heavy involvement with the senior officers. Surely it’d be better to base the show on the day to day mundane duties of the ensigns and sprinkle in some senior officer interaction.

Yeah, if the show is named "Lower Decks" then the stakes of each episode need to be lower as well. They can't be interacting every week with the senior staff to help save the ship.

Greyjoy wrote: »
    Yeah, if the show is named "Lower Decks" then the stakes of each episode need to be lower as well. They can't be interacting every week with the senior staff to help save the ship.

That's mostly just Mariner though, isn't it? Acting like a (bad) senior officer just without the pips.

Same thing on Discovery. There was the interesting promise of a show not focused on the captain and senior officers but they couldn't help putting the main cast member in the middle of everything, solving every problem, out-smarting their superiors.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Like take this latest episode - pretty good overall to be fair but marred by Mariner's childish antics and the other Captain putting the whole mission, and both ships and crews at risk because.. what? He was jealous? That just wouldn't happen!

It's frustrating because there IS a good show in here (unlike Discovery and Picard) but it's being dragged back constantly by what I presume is a poor effort to ape the success of The Orville

The Tellarite captain's actions were over the top but commanding a starship would take a lot of ego and self-confidence. It might have been justified better if they had established a rivalry between him and capt. Freeman.

But Mariner's action during the briefing were beyond insubordinate.The difference in this episode is that she suffered some actual consequences for her actions by getting transferred to command branch.

Greyjoy wrote: »
    But Mariner's action during the briefing were beyond insubordinate.The difference in this episode is that she suffered some actual consequences for her actions by getting transferred to command branch.

I kind of like the way her mother realized that promotion was the worst possible punishment for her.

The fact that she got promoted to Full Lieutenant for her senior staff role, kind of make me retroactively sorry for Harry Kim...yet again.

Janeway had him as a bridge officer for at least 7 years. He was essentially 6th or 7th In Command for the entire ship, and yet Janeway would never even throw him a Junior Lieutenant pip. Ops must be a thankless job on some starships :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

On the plus side for him, he did seem to get all the privileges of being a senior officer including plush spacious private quarters and being invited to all the senior staff meetings.

I generally wonder what extra privileges there are at each level.

Quarters is an obvious one. Many starship classes (including the Cerrito) make Ensigns share quarters while Lieutenant and higher get private quarters with more senior ranks get the more spacious plush ones with the nice window views. Harry already had nice quarters so no advantage for him there.
    Extra holodeck time?
    On Voyager, more replicator rations? Though it doesn't look like Janeway went for that as it seemed the senior officers had to ration just as much as the junior officers.
    Maybe a few extra shore leave days here and there.
    I can't image nicer replicator menu as depicted on Lower Decks being an actual thing outside of the animated comedy setting.

Doesn't seem like Harry was losing out other than not having the collar pip.

Quarters is an obvious one. Many starship classes (including the Cerrito) make Ensigns share quarters while Lieutenant and higher get private quarters with more senior ranks get the more spacious plush ones with the nice window views. Harry already had nice quarters so no advantage for him there.

That's one element I kind of enjoyed about Lower Decks is that they managed to one-up a concept of the original TNG episode Lower Decks by tossing the junior officers into corridor bunks. They don't even get a door!

You need to work your way up from being slightly less mediocre to earn some shared quarters :D

Just seemed wierd that Harry never got past the Ensign stage, despite having all of the trappings of a Lieutenant aboard Voyager. Although...I guess that ship was choc full of NCOs....which means an Ensign would outrank most people there anyway....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

Rawr wrote: »
    I always wished they'd do that more too. I get that budget/time constrains made it easier to just put a human there, but it would have been good to see more alien captains. It was a pan-galactic organisation after-all. Glad to see that animation is giving them a chance to draw in a properly alien-rich Starfleet.
    Seth McFarlane made a point on one of the early season Family Guy commentaries that the great thing about animation is you can make a cut away gag in hell and it costs about as much as setting it anywhere else. Lower decks is the place to up the alien count as it costs about as much to design a human character as any other.

That's one element I kind of enjoyed about Lower Decks is that they managed to one-up a concept of the original TNG episode Lower Decks by tossing the junior officers into corridor bunks. They don't even get a door!
    Undiscovered Country had corridor bunks on the Enterprise-A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,737 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I want to see a Gallamite

A Tholian Hive. Or the Breen without the helmet and its something completely mental that cgi would be unable to copy successfully :D

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Evade wrote: »
    Undiscovered Country had corridor bunks on the Enterprise-A.

So did the Excelsior

Would bunks be against the spirit of the Federation? Seems like giving people something fundamentally less than what they'd probably be entitled too on Earth / a Federation world isn't particularly Utopian.

Maybe Federation ships should be 99% automated, and only have a dozen sapients to act as hands-on staff. If nothing else it'd be cheaper to cast for :D

Starfleet is still a hierarchical meritocracy so "rank has it's privileges" is probably still a common saying in the 24th century. That or it's a little Heinleinien, "something given has no value."

Surely not all aliens can sleep on bunk beds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

Haven't posted here in a few days so I just skipped to the end. Did I miss anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,086 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Inviere wrote: »
    Colour me not at all interested in a Star Trek themed adult comedy animated show :( How have we gone from Darmok and Jalad, to this level??

Absolute shaka

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Absolute shaka

When the walls fell

Inviere wrote: »
    Colour me not at all interested in a Star Trek themed adult comedy animated show :( How have we gone from Darmok and Jalad, to this level??

Sub Rosa, Allamaraine etc

Guys this is a Very Serious Scifi show, any comedy should be purely accidental:

Evade wrote: »
    Starfleet is still a hierarchical meritocracy so "rank has it's privileges" is probably still a common saying in the 24th century. That or it's a little Heinleinien, "something given has no value."

I kind of like the idea that most of crew bunk this way. Makes Starfleet feel more like a space navy, which is what I always imagined it was.

I guess we got spoiled with Enterprise D. She was essentially a space cruise liner with warp nacelles :D

pah wrote: »
    When the walls fell

Star Trek with new series launched
    Netflix at court, the court of silence
    CBS All Access, with fists region closed
    Rawr on the search engine
    Rawr and Chrome at the streaming site
    Shaka when the URL failed
    Rawr his face black his eyes red
    Working URL with arms wide
    Rawr, at rest

I kind of like the idea that most of crew bunk this way. Makes Starfleet feel more like a space navy, which is what I always imagined it was.

I guess we got spoiled with Enterprise D. She was essentially a space cruise liner with warp nacelles :D
    At least they don't have to hot bunk under normal circumstances like they do on submarines. The realism issue with the shared quarters on ships in Star Trek is the number of crew compared to the size of the ship. Voyager is a bit bigger than a Nimitz class carrier but only has a crew of ~150 compared to up to 6,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,309 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I want to see some Grizzellas in it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    I want to see some Grizzellas in it.

You can see them...

in 6 months

• Advertisement

Meh, ok episode. More unneccesary name dropping & references. 1 proper LOL when the red alien revealed the situation with his race. I'm ok with the F-Bombs in this for some reason V's the ones in Picard.

Episode 5 : really enjoyed it! Maybe the best one yet.

Good to see other characters getting a bit more time – felt less like The Mariner and Boimler Show. Seeing the new ship was fun. Had a chuckle when it totally dwarfed the Cerritos in the opening shot.

I love that everyone's potentially suspicious of everything, like Mariner vs Boimler's girlfriend. Because of course you would be! :D

And a decent little swicheroo at the end. Poor Boimler.

I liked that episode. Its a strong show for what it is. Liked the flashback to DS9 and the Olympic-class medical ship.

Couple of very funny moments, especially in the Turbolift and life on an exciting ship :D

I love my Trek ships and really liked that new style of vessel the USS Vancouver, a Parliament class ship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

5: This one reminded me of the slow moving tng episodes that'd get ya thinking. This felt a bit light on that. Was grand though.

Yea this was a marked improvement with Mariner significantly toned down from previous episodes. Good A, B and C plots and actually an enjoyable episode all round.

Yea this was a marked improvement with Mariner significantly toned down from previous episodes. Good A, B and C plots and actually an enjoyable episode all round.

I agree. That was pretty good. I was surprised to see them actually show the late TNG-era grey uniform in that flashback. They actually gave a damn about uniform continuity :eek: The more I see this the more I'm convinced that the usual Secret Hideout folk were not involved. Kurtzman probably just rubber-stamped this while he was focused on Discovery S3 or something...

I was laughing a good bit at what the Computer managed to determine as "cool" clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Enjoyed the latest episode. Mariner was much more likeable this episode. I think if they keep her at this level of intensity for the remainder of the series, it should be in a good place.

I'm curious how old she is. That flashback seemed to be set not long after the events of First Contact. And it has been hinted a few times throughout the series that aside from rank, she's quite senior and was probably full Lieutenant* at some point but has been demoted for misconduct on at least one occasion.

* I'm basing that guess on her being given a promotion directly to full Lieutenant instead of Lieutenant JG in the last episode. Presuming it was an Ensign/Lt. Paris style restoration of rank as opposed to a traditional promotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,892 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Every episode feels very shouty to me.

I'm curious how old she is. That flashback seemed to be set not long after the events of First Contact. And it has been hinted a few times throughout the series that aside from rank, she's quite senior and was probably full Lieutenant* at some point but has been demoted for misconduct on at least one occasion.

* I'm basing that guess on her being given a promotion directly to full Lieutenant instead of Lieutenant JG in the last episode. Presuming it was an Ensign/Lt. Paris style restoration of rank as opposed to a traditional promotion.

My guess is that the Late-TNG era Grey uniform lasted well beyond the Dominion War. It was a probably a few years before they started using the colourful Generations re-tool uniform you see in Lower Decks. The Dominion War ended in 2375, which is only 5 years before the events of this show.

I imagine that the current uniform in Lower Decks is pretty new and if you flashback only a year or so earlier you'd have them in the Grey uniform.

I like your theory about her rank. It did seem odd that they jumped a rank with her, but it would be interesting if that was a *restored* rank. I wonder if they'll reveal a story of her being senior staff but then something serious happened that resulted in her demotion, her indifference to command, and possibly also the reason she's been posted on her own mother's starship. (Possibly to keep an eye on her / take care of her)

I kind of base this on the flashback at DS9. She seemed far more mellow in that flashback compared to the current time. I sense a bit of character development at play....and I like it :)

I feared I'd end up hating Mariner, but she was pretty good in this episode. To parrot one Youtuber (who's name I've now forgotten) Mariner feels like what Micheal Burnham *should* have been. If you had her written like Mariner, I might have actually grown to like that character.

I rewatched the flashback just now and it makes no sense in that while it is obviously set post-Nemesis and DS9 (uniforms, ship class), the (current?) events they're talking about regarding the Enterprise and Lore sound like TNG's "Descent"

I rewatched the flashback just now and it makes no sense in that while it is obviously set post-Nemesis and DS9 (uniforms, ship class), the (current?) events they're talking about regarding the Enterprise and Lore sound like TNG's "Descent"

Absolutely irredeemable. One star!!

:pac:

I did notice that though, yeah. Bit silly alright. A lot of the franchise name dropping (and there is A LOT of it) seems pretty careless though. Wasn't Boimler just shouting "WORF WORF WORF" for no reason at all in the Bat'leth scene in the first episode? And "Romulan whiskey". And plenty of other bad examples.

Seems almost odd because most of the more subtle background references are great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement