Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 12th Lock

Options
  • 08-02-2016 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭

Someone has just told me the 12th Lock was closed over the weekend?

Any information on this? Was it by the HSE for health reasons?

MOD EDIT: Thread title changed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

No mention of any orders against them on the FSAI press releases page.

Could have been for a private party or a death in the owner's family or a hundred other reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

12th Lock was sold I believe.

Anyone buying vouchers over Christmas period were advised against it as it could have happened 'any day'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

AGC wrote: »
    12th Lock was sold I believe.

Anyone buying vouchers over Christmas period were advised against it as it could have happened 'any day'

I forgot it was for sale. Hadn't heard anything about it in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ongarite

Was going to go there yesterday for the rugby match but it was shut.
    Phones line is dead & website while still online is showing no bookings available at any future dates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I ran by it yesterday at around 12:30pm, I thought that it was just a quite afternoon with nobody in the bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

That's a pity, staff were always very nice place was always good fun for food and a drink. Pulled pork was lovely too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Noooooooo

That was my breakfast treat on a Sunday place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Sono

Shame it's gone, was a lovely pub for the summer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Sign on the door says "closed due to circumstances beyond our control ".

Wasn't great for drink in fairness, I got bottles of beer past their best before date, and was offered Tiger beer as one of their craft selections.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Wasn't great for drink in fairness, I got bottles of beer past their best before date, and was offered Tiger beer as one of their craft selections.

Had Staro, OHaras and others on tap - always worked better for me. Always enjoyed the drink there. Never got a bad pint.

Ben Dunne after buying it apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

I do hope it opens up again. Its a nice location but I dont think it fits well as a hotel there. Anyone ever actually stayed in it?

I liked the place for a bite to eat and sure the place does be packed during a nice Summer evening.

Im sure Brady's will get some business from that now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Didn't let me bring my dog into the beer garden or even the picnic table outside, Happy days more business for Bradys

conor-mr2 wrote: »
    I do hope it opens up again. Its a nice location but I dont think it fits well as a hotel there. Anyone ever actually stayed in it?

My uncle stayed twice. really liked it.
    Borderfox wrote: »
    Didn't let me bring my dog into the beer garden or even the picnic table outside, Happy days more business for Bradys

I went to the picnic tables many a time with my dog over last summer, and was never turned away. Pity that that wasnt the uniform experience, its very annoying not to be able to walk the dog and have a drink. The canal bar in Ashtown would bring out a bowl of water to you outside for your dog.

Having a dog in a beer garden wasnt allowed because they served food there, and they did not want to fall afoul of the HSE rules.

Borderfox wrote: »

Bradys could do with any extra business it can get, nice pub is bradys just doesn't draw a crowd for whatever reason I do not know.

I actually forget it exists a lot of the time. Last time we were out around the village we were trying to figure out where to go for a pint after dinner, had we remembered Bradys we would have gone there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Gave up going there for food having been very ill after two successive visits. Always thought it was over rated tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Would love to see a proper Gourmet pub go in there. Something like Lock 13 in Sallins. Found the food pretty average anytime we were in 12th Lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Sono wrote: »
    Bradys could do with any extra business it can get, nice pub is bradys just doesn't draw a crowd for whatever reason I do not know.

Brady's is on what was the old Navan road. Once it stopped becoming a main thoroughfare, it died unfortunately.

The Bell is far busier due to locality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Sono wrote: »

There's just no atmosphere, ever. Food cannot be faulted though. Always excellent and superior to 12th lock grub every time.

Brady's is on what was the old Navan road. Once it stopped becoming a main thoroughfare, it died unfortunately.

The Bell is far busier due to locality.

Cannot stand the bell, a right dump, I would guess the bookies after going in beside it draws a good few heads in as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Is Brady's not closed aswell ?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

BohsCeltic wrote: »

Nope its still open.
    Its a nice place but tends to be very quiet. Ive gone in there with the missus for a few drinks a good few times. Id actually prefer that to the bell for a quiet few.

BohsCeltic wrote: »

the separate restaurant thats attached to it has changed hands a couple of times i think, but ive never heard of Bradys closing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

the separate restaurant thats attached to it has changed hands a couple of times i think, but ive never heard of Bradys closing.

Yeap, never been closed but constant rumours that it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Not sure how Bradys is still open. It is always quiet and I find the service can be appalling in there. Once you are eventually served the food is pretty good.

I popped over to the 12th Loch the other day for food only to find it closed down. I assumed the crowd headed to Bradys but it was dead. They even stopped serving food at 8pm so they lost out there as the 12th Loch served till 9.30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Pity :(

Was a nice stop on a walk with the dogs on a sunny day to chill for a pint or coke.

Is it still closed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭AlanG

No lights on when I passed yesterday.

Advertisement