Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ClydeTallyBump

Magpie Lane by Lucy Atkins.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Just finished "Hollywood Park" - A Memoir by Mikel Jollett.

Jollett is the front man of US band The Airborne Toxic Event. When I first heard he'd written a memoir I assumed it would be about his journey to music, forming the band, touring, the highs and lows of the rock and roll lifestyle etc. And while it does eventually lead to music and the band, it starts with him, aged 5, his older brother, and their mother, escaping from the infamous Synanon cult, which he was born into, and had lived with all the other children, separate from their parents from the age of 6 months, in what was essentially an orphanage within the cult compound. The bulk of the book is Jollett recounting their life after this point, on the run initially from the now violent cult, then his long road to understanding, accepting and dealing with the long lasting damage of those early years, and his relationships with his parents and brother, who were all dealing with the same things in very different ways.

It's a really good read, and despite dealing with some really dark stuff it's ultimately a love letter to his dad and to music and to family.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Just after finishing Shadowplay by Joseph O'Connor. Not previously a major fan but enjoyed this. Hugely entertaining.

I borrowed this during lockdown, it's the kind of book I would normally lap up but I just couldn't get into it. I fully plan on getting my hands on it again though and hopefully will enjoy it next time.

Renia's Diary by Renia Spiegel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Finished American Dirt. It's an amazing book, had me sitting on the edge of my seat for a lot of the time. Harrowing read at times but an extraordinary reminder of the terrible situations migrants of all nationalities have to endure to escape from intolerable situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Finished Cadillac Jack by Larry McMurtry
    Now reading US by David Nicholls, charming so far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Finished Orchid & The Wasp ... bit of a struggle to finish it, just didn't do it for me.

The Heat of Betrayal by Douglas Kennedy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

On the Night Circus now, and finding it very...padded.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

miamee wrote: »
    I'm reading The Way of All Flesh by Ambrose Parry and enjoying it so far. 19th century Edinburgh is an interesting place :D

And now I am reading the follow up, The Art of Dying and it is also fantastic :)

Disobedience by Naomi Alderman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Finished Chris Whitaker's We Begin At The End and would highly recommend it. It's a superb crime novel. Must read more of his work.

My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell

My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell

A disturbing but brilliant read.

I'm starting Once Upon a River by Diane Setterfield

Finished The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
    Now reading The Editor by Steven Rowley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭victor8600

Just finished The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi.

Good modern sci-fi. Very relevant in the light of the current pandemic.

Hope it is OK to post this news here (as I can't find a chat thread).
    almost 600 new books will be published on 3 September
    an increase of about a third from last year
    Source: https://www.theguardian.com/focus/2020/aug/16/literary-world-overwhelmed-by-600-books-to-be-published-on-one-day
    That's a lot of books to be looking forward to, this Autumn/Winter !

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Do you know where we can see the full list, Otnomart?

Dear Child by Romy Hausmann

New Home wrote: »
    Do you know where we can see the full list, Otnomart?
    i have not come across any.

Last year, the Guardian books section had a shortlist of the new launches, but I think it was later in the year, around October.

In one of the latest newsletters I got from Waterstones, there is a shortlist of Coming Soon books which are in pre-order
    https://www.waterstones.com/campaign/coming-soon

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Finished and loved My Sister the Serial Killer.

I'm about halfway through Fever by Mary Beth Keane and really enjoying it so far

• Advertisement

Be More Keanu by James King.

A bit of fun!

Absolutely loved Once Upon a River by Diane Setterfield ... really enjoyable read.

Now it's on to Pachinko by Min Jin Lee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

After finally finishing the brilliant Grapes Of Wrath I then read Downsize This by Michael Moore and now onto the lighthearted Three Men In A Float: Across England At 15 MPH by Dan Kiernan & Ian Vince

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Just started the first book from The Last Kingdom.

I've never really followed a series of books and feet it might be a good time to settle into a sequence of page turners, for various reasons.

I like it after the first couple of chapters anyway.

Great series.The final book is out in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Currently near the end of The Wanderers by Chuck Wendig. Unless there's a disappointing ending this will become my no:1 post apocalyptic read.

1:The Wanderers
    2:Swan Song
    3:The Stand

But also it seems like 20+ years since I read the others so to be 100% fair I would need to reread them back to back.Which is not happening in my lifetime.
    :(

Great series.The final book is out in October.

And I loved book 1 :-)

Just starting Hamnet and have heard really great things.

Chanel's Riviera by Anne De Courcy and The Summer Isles by Philip Marsden

I just finished The Godfather by Mario Puzo having not seen the film. Absolutely amazing - I'm on a bit of a binge of books from the 60s and 70s after reading Salem's Lot by Stephen King because I'm prefering the writing style to a lot of modern stuff.

Think it might be a while before I pick up another book from the last decade at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Read a few on my holidays:

The Second Sleep, Robert Harris - a decent enough page turner but not brilliant
    Be Pure, Be Vigilant, Behave, Pat Mills - a terrific view into the British comics scene of the 70/80/90s.
    Red Gold, Alan Furst - another of his WWII espionage books which I was saving up for holidays. Loved it, up to his usual standard but maybe not a great place to start reading his stuff.
    The Biggest Bluff, Maria Konikova - a brilliant non-fiction read about poker & psychology

Currently finishing the Golden House, Salman Rushdie. Got back into him after the brilliant Quichotte, after losing interest with a few weaker books by him. This one is good but I'm struggling to stay focused, with a lot of other interesting things calling from the book bank...

• Advertisement

Educated by Tara Westover

A really gripping read. All based on the author's life as part of a Mormon survivalist family.

Advertisement