Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

In the TNG era, the warp core was highly vulnerable. That's what took out the Ent-D in the end and there were many episodes in which ships nearly bit the bullet over reactor issues. It was a cheaper source of drama than holes in the hull and in the era of nuclear submarine disasters and Chernobyl it undoubtedly ran true to audiences. Warp core breaches are almost never an issue on starships from ST2009 onward.

I agree about there not being much value placed on starships. Despite all the naval references, Starfleet treat them more like cars than ships. Retiring them after 20 years or less or launching them into deep space on difficult missions while still new.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

Retiring them after 20 years or less or launching them into deep space on difficult missions while still new.
    That happens with real ships too. Alaska class battlecruisers were in service for about two and a half years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In the TNG era, the warp core was highly vulnerable. That's what took out the Ent-D in the end and there were many episodes in which ships nearly bit the bullet over reactor issues. It was a cheaper source of drama than holes in the hull and in the era of nuclear submarine disasters and Chernobyl it undoubtedly ran true to audiences. Warp core breaches are almost never an issue on starships from ST2009 onward.

I agree about there not being much value placed on starships. Despite all the naval references, Starfleet treat them more like cars than ships. Retiring them after 20 years or less or launching them into deep space on difficult missions while still new.

Yeah, that's the nub of the issue for me. Trek's starships behave more like glorified cars or buses than these giant machines of voyage or action. As you say the naval nomenclature doesn't really extend to the nature of the ships themselves. The designs are iconic (woo Miranda!), but often just superficial. DS9 kinda ran with the setting in a more pragmatic sense but that was because it WAS more pragmatic, by dint of it being a trading post.

On the obsolescence angle, the contrary seems to apply for the air force. The b52 bomber, despite being introduced in 1955, is still in service to this day and AFAIK shows no sign of replacement. It'd be like as if biplanes, heck the Wright brothers plane, were still used in the Vietnam war.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

In Star Trek Enterprise Season 3 episode 19 "Damage" the small ship Enterprise comes across. Are they Cardassian? I always just took it that they are Cardassian there ship design is similar, they look similar and sound similar.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

AMKC wrote: »
    In Star Trek Enterprise Season 3 episode 19 "Damage" the small ship Enterprise comes across. Are they Cardassian? I always just took it that they are Cardassian there ship design is similar, they look similar and sound similar.

Damar is the captain of that ship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damage_(Star_Trek:_Enterprise)

I've enjoyed re-watching Enterprise and will probably watch season 4 again although it's a big comedown on S3

• Advertisement

Worf is going back to Starfleet. The #ad makes me think it's for the phone game as opposed to TV.

https://twitter.com/akaWorf/status/1384232487656640522

• Registered Users Posts: 12,225 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Evade wrote: »
    Worf is going back to Starfleet. The #ad makes me think it's for the phone game as opposed to TV.

https://twitter.com/akaWorf/status/1384232487656640522

Not for a show or movie

https://trekmovie.com/2021/04/19/confirmed-michael-dorns-cryptic-tweet-about-starfleet-return-isnt-for-a-paramount-star-trek-show/

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Rawr

Ah no Worf, not the Star Trek: Fleet Command adverts! They are without honor!

Seriously though, I'm really getting sick of those adverts. The algorithms send them to me all the damned time, and the game itself seems to be some kind of wallet-bashing pay-to-win space shooter.

I also remember them leaning heavily into Kelvin-verse designs and then into Discovery (with Martin-Green even in an advert) and finally it's starting to pretend that classic TOS style is fine in there too. A bit of an identity crisis there (or more likely more algorithm shenanigans based on the Trek I was watching).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Rawr wrote: »

Seriously though, I'm really getting sick of those adverts. The algorithms send them to me all the damned time, and the game itself seems to be some kind of wallet-bashing pay-to-win space shooter.

i play it, have spent a little bit on it but it has to be one of the most over priced money spinner going. I know there are people who have dropped over $1m into it.
    I'd love to see Scopely's accounts tbh

I'm imagining Worf doing a Dr Lazarus style delivery in the TV ads in Galaxy Quest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just had a quick look at Fleet Command and it looks like every other time-sink mobile game that promises WAY more than it delivers in terms of gameplay.

It's a shame too the only "proper" Trek video games often leaned more on the action than exploration; it was itself more action-oriented than maybe others would like but the Mass Effect series always felt like an off-brand attempt at something Trek'esque.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Just had a quick look at Fleet Command and it looks like every other time-sink mobile game that promises WAY more than it delivers in terms of gameplay.

It's a shame too the only "proper" Trek video games often leaned more on the action than exploration; it was itself more action-oriented than maybe others would like but the Mass Effect series always felt like an off-brand attempt at something Trek'esque.

I kind of miss playing "Birth of the Federation". Was great fun to build up your small alliance / empire into something more, while throwing scoutships into the unknown randomly generated galaxy. It was pretty exciting when a little Question Mark popped up on long-range sensors. Was it another power? Was it Tinman? (who'd follow you back to your space and help out) or was even a Borg cube? (In which case, genuine panic).

4-04.jpg

It had plenty of irritating problems, for example you couldn't pool resources across your Empire and new outposts were just a pain to upgrade. However the big bonus was that athough you were encouraged to build up a powerful fleet, you could also use diplomacy, trade or espionage to increase your power. It felt like a proper Star Trek world, presented as a turn-based strategy game. Each new game also generated a new random map, making for a load or re-play value.

6-06.jpg

Really wished they developed this further and released on newer platforms.

Ms

ElTel wrote: »
    Damar is the captain of that ship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damage_(Star_Trek:_Enterprise)

I've enjoyed re-watching Enterprise and will probably watch season 4 again although it's a big comedown on S3

Thank you for that. I wonder are they related to the Cardassians in some way. I do think Archer should have just asked them for a lend of there warp Coil and promise to give it back to them when he had stopped the Xindi from using there weapon or even better yet he could have asked for there help in fighting the Xindi. Two ships would have been better than one. Archer said he had no choice but he had lots of choices the others would of ment them losing there element if surprise when they attack the Illyrians do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I think a Star Trek game in the style of FTL could be fun just add in an extra layer of crew management and a few more diplomatic options here and there.

Star Trek mod ' New Horizons' is Birth of the Federation on steroids. Great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Star Trek mod ' New Horizons' is Birth of the Federation on steroids. Great game.

The Armada III mod for Sins of a Solar Empire is excellent too, and a final update for it is due soon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Any game that pops up in a Youtube ad is going to be a ****e, wallet grabbing waste of time. It will instantly stop me from ever playing them.

The Star Trek Stellaris mod is fantastic though. As said above, its Birth of the Federation, but on a massive scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

What is captain Archer's favourite song...

Oh Boy by Buddy Holly

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

i play it, have spent a little bit on it but it has to be one of the most over priced money spinner going. I know there are people who have dropped over $1m into it.
    I'd love to see Scopely's accounts tbh
    I'm addicted to it, haven't spent much on it but my god it's a timesink!

(I'm with S31 on server 159 btw - say hi in game if you're on the same server, shouldn't be difficult to recognise my player name!)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Sleepy wrote: »
    I'm addicted to it, haven't spent much on it but my god it's a timesink!

(I'm with S31 on server 159 btw - say hi in game if you're on the same server, shouldn't be difficult to recognise my player name!)

i think i'm 194, Asia Pacific server as I'm in NZ

edit: just checked and 700 hours logged on my phone, not even couting the emulator on the laptop :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Can't check on my android and honestly, don't want to!

Rewatching DS9 and on the last season. It's really apparent DS9 set a new direction that was sadly not taken up. The episode Rocks and Shoals really set the tone, adult Trek basically, which is not to say that any previous Trek was not "grown up" but it just had a heavier but nuanced atmosphere. This is what I really enjoy about it, it's not trying to be "edge lord dark" but the themes are substantial. In addition, controversial opinion perhaps but I don't think The Visitor is the companion piece to The Inner Light, instead it's Far Beyond The Stars, which is equivalent to The Inner Light in terms quality. Avery Brooks' overacting actually works in the nervous breakdown scene. Also the idea of Sisko being a kind of demi god, given that one of the prophets essentially birthed him, kind of makes DS9 similar to Dune with the epic implications, it could be Dune Trek in a way. I'd like to see future Trek have those kind of wild ideas as opposed to just "war" and "grim dark".

Rewatching DS9 and on the last season. It's really apparent DS9 set a new direction that was sadly not taken up. The episode Rocks and Shoals really set the tone, adult Trek basically, which is not to say that any previous Trek was not "grown up" but it just had a heavier but nuanced atmosphere. This is what I really enjoy about it, it's not trying to be "edge lord dark" but the themes are substantial. In addition, controversial opinion perhaps but I don't think The Visitor is the companion piece to The Inner Light, instead it's Far Beyond The Stars, which is equivalent to The Inner Light in terms quality. Avery Brooks' overacting actually works in the nervous breakdown scene. Also the idea of Sisko being a kind of demi god, given that one of the prophets essentially birthed him, kind of makes DS9 similar to Dune with the epic implications, it could be Dune Trek in a way. I'd like to see future Trek have those kind of wild ideas as opposed to just "war" and "grim dark".

Rocks and Shoals is a favorite that I'll often revisit. It's a war story, but it's full of very good Trek drama. From the fun levity of O'Brien's fatal clothing rip, to the corruption of Keevan, to the fatal dedication of the Jem Hadar. They even had a great B-Plot with Kira realising that she had become something she herself hated in the past. Really good writing there.

Rocks and Shoals is a favorite that I'll often revisit. It's a war story, but it's full of very good Trek drama. From the fun levity of O'Brien's fatal clothing rip, to the corruption of Keevan, to the fatal dedication of the Jem Hadar. They even had a great B-Plot with Kira realising that she had become something she herself hated in the past. Really good writing there.

And the "cadet, there may be hope for you yet" scene is great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,535 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I always really like O'Briens military back story and the episodes that dealt with it in some way.

Same goes for Kiras backstory

I rewatched The Passenger as I had completely forgotten about it. Aside from the absolutely laughable evil Bashir acting (which needs to be on YT for appreciation) and the cack plot, I noticed season 1 DS9 lighting is way harsh. That's another thing I appreciate about the later seasons, the chill out mellow vibe lighting. Also a good few of the shots seem to be out of focus or washed out, even compared to TNG at the time which had footage quality on par with later seasons of DS9 (as far as I remember).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭corkie

Oh Boy by Buddy Holly

https://youtu.be/wU256cGwMHM?t=109 <<< Private SNAFU - Booby Traps (1944)

Star Trek Enterprise Meets Quantum Leap

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Some reports have Picard filming season two and three back to back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,535 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Some reports have Picard filming season two and three back to back.

Ya one of the cast twittered it I think

• Advertisement
    Ms

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Ya one of the cast twittered it I think

I heard it was Q aka John De Lancie.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement