Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,357 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Nicole Beharie was also sacked after season 3 due to an illness she speaks about it here and then blackballed in Hollywood by the producers etc.

Tom Mison who was also ill at the time was treated differently.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/nicole-beharie-sleepy-hollow-exit-controversy-impact-career-1202965074/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Nicole Beharie was also sacked after season 3 due to an illness she speaks about it here and then blackballed in Hollywood by the producers etc.

Tom Mison who was also ill at the time was treated differently.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/nicole-beharie-sleepy-hollow-exit-controversy-impact-career-1202965074/

I could understand why the producers would remove the character if the actress’ health would seriously affect the schedule in the future but to badmouth her to other people is pretty lousy.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Did anyone watch the new one on after the news on rte 1.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yikes. I wonder how that has aged; not well I suspect. It was already pretty sketchy with its unilateral, post 911 attitudes during broadcast.

24 had a pretty loyal online fanbase. One of its producers, Joel Surnow, was a self-confessed 'right-wing nut job', I think that's fine, whatever you're into, but equally, some of its political characters were leaning that way too, so I dunno if the show was partly a critique on that (felt like that a few times), given some of the writers then worked on Homeland and they're more liberal leaning, afaik. Not that I'm keen to review its politics as such. Side note: there's something in my memory about its ratings success in the UK being why it stuck around for a while, think another producer Jon Cassar mentioned this some years back. It just landed around the right time to be zeitgeisty.
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    "CTU Almeida!"
    Got to the point where I'm sure some people thought Tony's first name was actually CTU.

Well, it's like this: Either fire me, or get out of my chair.

beertons wrote: »
    Did anyone watch the new one on after the news on rte 1.

What one?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Deadwater Fell.

I saw there was a thread on it already, being shown on channel 4, so didn't go in there or start a new thread.

I liked it. After the first episode, I have no idea who the killer is. Strange that they all have puncture wounds from a syringe, or epi pen.

beertons wrote: »
    Deadwater Fell.

I saw there was a thread on it already, being shown on channel 4, so didn't go in there or start a new thread.

I liked it. After the first episode, I have no idea who the killer is. Strange that they all have puncture wounds from a syringe, or epi pen.

Okay

You dropped it in among posts on Sleepy Hollow so I thought “new one” was a new series based on the Headless Horseman.

David Simon got into it with Piers Morgan on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/AoDespair/status/1379173045005389825?s=20

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Tucker Carlson and Piers Morgan. Good lord. Maybe the critical mass of their respective abject vulgarity will cancel each other out, they'll both instantly wink out of existence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/apr/10/bbc-flooded-with-complaints-over-prince-philip-coverage

BBC and ITV shelved their entire schedules (BBC1 and 2!!) for rolling coverage of reaction to Prince Phillip's death. Needless to say the viewership dropped as a result, BBC2 losing 2/3s of its audience that day. Crazy stuff, even online feeds were shut down. Begs the question what the reaction will be when Liz pops her clogs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Watched the first episode of The Outsider, Stephen King adaptation. Pretty sobering and devastating.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/apr/10/bbc-flooded-with-complaints-over-prince-philip-coverage

BBC and ITV shelved their entire schedules (BBC1 and 2!!) for rolling coverage of reaction to Prince Phillip's death. Needless to say the viewership dropped as a result, BBC2 losing 2/3s of its audience that day. Crazy stuff, even online feeds were shut down. Begs the question what the reaction will be when Liz pops her clogs.

Reminiscent of when Brezhnev, Andropov, Chernenko or Kim-Jong Il popped their clogs.

Sombre music is playing on Radio Moscow... :rolleyes: It wasn't just BBC 1 & 2 but BBC4 was off too, plus all of the radio channels (about 40)

Ridiculous. What a joke

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭trashcan

That’s exactly what I was thinking. You can forget about tuning into BBC for at least a week when the time comes.

Nice to see that they had a lot of complaints about it. I mean, paying respects is all very well, but it was Ott. BBC1 wouldn’t have been enough ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Endless interviews with anyone and everyone who so much as shook her hand. They will probably be interviewing the corgis by the end of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i reckon ol'Philio himself would be embarrassed by the OTT coverage of it all..."is there anything better on??"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,239 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

fryup wrote: »
    i reckon ol'Philio himself would be embarrassed by the OTT coverage of it all..."is there anything better on??"

Its not even inventive... how about a documentary about his naval career from a historian in otherwise normal schedules instead of constant chatter the man himself would think ghastly. I think the man himself would prefer that.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,286 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Is the Orville ever coming back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Is there a repeat of the great British sewing bee? Had recorder fall and got minutes of the new series��

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,781 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Bredabe wrote: »
    Is there a repeat of the great British sewing bee? Had recorder fall and got minutes of the new series��
    Looks to be repeated on Sunday at 1pm on BBC Two?

Screenshot-2021-04-15-at-23-38-26.png

• Registered Users Posts: 85,326 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sun Hill reopening as The Bill returns

• Advertisement

Paramount+ look's to launch in Europe by the end of the year it wants to be the first of the new big US Network streamers to get a foothold into the world market.

HBO's contracts with Sky Europe don't end till at least 2025 so now HBO Max here till at least then.

No news on Peacock if they are to launch worldwide. Peacock's owner Comcast/NBC Universal own Sky in Europe.

https://deadline.com/2021/04/paramount-starts-spanning-the-globe-as-u-s-streamers-try-not-to-get-lost-in-translation-1234732517/

Wonder what that might mean for the Star Trek shows currently on Netflix (Discovery) and Amazon (Lower Decks and Picard); presumably they'll disappear first chance Paramount can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think that's the main problem with those streamers coming here. So many of their shows are licensed to local channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

Anyone know what has happened to the RTE Player? Home page normally full of box sets, Line of Duty, The West Wing, The Good Wife, Love Hate and now they're all gone? Not in the A-Z or Box set, found an old link to one series I was watching and the page is dead?

scrumqueen wrote: »
    Anyone know what has happened to the RTE Player? Home page normally full of box sets, Line of Duty, The West Wing, The Good Wife, Love Hate and now they're all gone? Not in the A-Z or Box set, found an old link to one series I was watching and the page is dead?

Box sets still all there for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

Box sets still all there for me.

Good grief, I switched browser and they're there, WTF!
    :o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 28,239 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Jim Caviezel is bat sh1t crazy

Method acting The Prisoner has consequences...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Method acting The Prisoner has consequences...

He is no Patrick McGoohan

• Advertisement

I had literally never heard of adrenochroming before and I wish I still hadn't. What insanity. Among all the other sins of the internet, I hate how it exposes crazy to the rest of the world, if even vicariously. Had wondered what happened Caviezel, there's the answer. Shame, Person of Interest remains one of the best shows of the 2010s.

Advertisement