Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Sports Thread (NBA, NCAA, MBL, NHL, NFL, etc.)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Tll me about it :mad:, vancouver trowing it away everytime they get a goal 1 minute later philly do, 10 minutes left , come on the cannucks:cool:

Power Play cannucks, come on boys now is the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭DB74

Cam Newton wrote: »
    Nice little tip, no team playing against Cam Newton has covered the spread at any level of football since October 2010 ;)

Arizona Cardinals covered the spread of 6.5 pts in Week 1

I will admit that the line opened at 7.0 but the stats generally use the closing line for stuff like this

Also here's a link to an article about the general uselessness of stats like "has covered the spread since ..."

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/6240/when-it-comes-the-point-spread-sometimes-numbers-do-lie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

DB74 wrote: »

Arizona Cardinals covered the spread of 6.5 pts in Week 1

Opening spread was -7., they didn't cover. Last team to cover was Kentucky vs Auburn on October 9th 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Cam Newton wrote: »
    Nice little tip, no team playing against Cam Newton has covered the spread at any level of football since October 2010 ;)

It's an interesting historical stat but there's an article on Grantland yesterday saying that ATS records have very little predictive value for future results: When It Comes to the Point Spread, Sometimes Numbers Do Lie

It may even be the case that they predict the opposite, i.e. as lines get inflated, and there's a regression to the mean, that teams with a good ATS history will have below-average future ATS records.

There's another example of this going on right now. Totals in the NFL have been going over at an amazing rate this season, every week so far overs have won, sometimes by dramatic amounts (see NFL Spread Sheet: Over and over again).

Because overs are winning ATS, is this a reason for continuing to bet overs? For me, it's the opposite. As the overs have been winning, bookies have inflating the lines every week. If we see a regression to the mean, you'll have some very inflated lines, so I'm on the lookout for unders at the moment.

Re: Panthers @ Falcons game
    I thought about this some more and I don't believe it's going to hit -3, so I'm going to take the Falcons -3.5.

3 is the hardest number for lines to move on or off of because so many games are decided by 3. This one is hovering between -3.5 and -4 so I can't see it hitting 3.

I watched the Panthers-Saints on condensed gamepass last night (great feature for NFL bettors actually) and I think the Panthers were slightly flattered by the result. Newton's a talent, no doubt, but the offense as a whole still looks quite raw. They're relying on kind of improvised big plays from Newton, which I don't think will always come off. There was a significant contrast between him and Brees, where Brees was moving the chains methodically by carving up the Panthers' secondary on short passes. You can see it in the passing stats:

Brees: 32-45-1 (343 yards)
    Newton: 16-31-1 (219 yards)

2 of the Carolina TDs were horrible defending, the guy really should've been tackled 30 yards out, but the Saints matador-style tackling let them run in. I think Atlanta will make it more difficult for them defensively.

Falcons -3.5 vs. Panthers

Just looking at that article, there is bound to be value to be had on the unders this weekend as they keep making the overs higher and higher, it will even out after a while, so i think its time to hit the unders.

Just looking at that article, there is bound to be value to be had on the unders this weekend as they keep making the overs higher and higher, it will even out after a while, so i think its time to hit the unders.

There's another argument that scores are going up because QBs and WRs are protected more by rule changes, there's obviously some truth to that, but I don't think it's that much different to last season to justify increasing the lines that much.

As an experiment, let's see how many totals go over from now until the end of the season. Up to now, overs have gone: 48-28-1. If there's an over-reaction in the line-increases (which is my theory), unders should come out ahead from now on. If scores are really going up so much and bookies have been slow to react, overs should continue to win.

Cam Newtons ATS record will be interesting to monitor as well, but there'll be a higher sample-size with the over-under lines. I'll track the total here each week.

Here's the average points per game over the last 6 full NFL seasons. The first figure is the average per game for Weeks 1-5 of each season, the second figure is the average per game over Weeks 6-17, and the last figure is the average per game for the full 17-game regular season

2005: 40.68 : 41.43 : 41.21
    2006: 39.41 : 42.09 : 41.32
    2007: 41.92 : 43.99 : 43.38
    2008: 45.01 : 43.67 : 44.06
    2009: 42.43 : 43.14 : 42.93
    2010: 41.55 : 45.28 : 44.17

2011: 46.31 : ?

In 2008, the points per game in the 1st 5 weeks was well above average (just like in 2011). In fact the "overs" won 43 times from 74 bets with "unders" winning just 30 times and there was 1 push. The average line was 41.7 pts. So would backing the "unders" blindly in 2008 in Weeks 6-17 have shown a profit?

The final results (for Weeks 6-17 in 2008) were

91 - Unders
    81 - Overs
    10 - Pushes

The average line was almost a full point higher at 42.6

At general odds of 10/11, backing the unders in every game would have shown a very small profit of just 1.81 points from 182 bets

In fact if just one of the wins had been "over" then you would have made a loss of 0.10 points from your 182 bets

Here's the average points per game over the last 6 full NFL seasons.

Very interesting. Did you get those stats from a public database or is it your own? I was just looking to do some similar queries.
    padraig_f wrote: »
    Some early picks this week:

6pm:
    Eagles +0 @ Redskins
    Bills +3 @ Giants
    Lions -4 vs. 49ers

9pm
    Ravens -6.5 vs. Texans (gone to -7.5 today)

MNF:
    Jets -7 vs. Dolphins

A few I'm waiting for possible line moves before betting on:

Bears -3 vs. Vikings (waiting for -2.5)
    Cowboys 7 vs. Patriots (waiting for +7.5)
    Cowboys ML @ Patriots (wait for slightly better than 5/2)
    Falcons -3.5 vs. Panthers (not sure it goes to -3 but let's see)

Just to see how the line moves went, some went with me, some against. Kicking myself I didn't take the Cowboys +7, it went down to +6 and is now at +6.5. I'll wait til kickoff to see if the +7 becomes available again. I'll bet them money-line anyway, and stay away on the handicap if it stays at +6.5.

Eagles went from +0 to -3, Ravens went from -6.5 to -7.5 and back to -6.5 suddenly yesterday, sparking a rumour that Andre Johnson might be available (as far as I know he's still out).

Bears went from -3 to -2.5 but I think that was because Julius Peppers was made doubtful, which makes me a lot more lukewarm on the bet. I took it anyway at -2.5 for a small amount.

Seems a lot of people like the Panthers, as the Falcons went from -3.5 to -3 (with some extra juice, 4/5).

Jets went from -7 to -6.5, surprised me that one, still like the Jets though, so doubled down at -6.5.

Good luck everyone.

• Advertisement

Cowboys line has hit +7, lock it up.

Cowboys +7 @ Patriots
    Cowboys ML @ Patriots (13/5)

Looks like a lot of the unders have won tonight.

What do you guys think about tomorrow nights game?
    The total points is set at 42.5, im thinking of going with the overs on this one.

padraig_f wrote: »
    Very interesting. Did you get those stats from a public database or is it your own? I was just looking to do some similar queries.

It's from my own. It's nothing fancy believe me.

Just an excel spreadsheet with the results for every game from 2005 to-date

There's a couple of formulae in it to determine who the favourite is and stuff like that but it's pretty basic stuff, probably archaic to anyone who can Access or a similar database program. I keep promising myself that I will learn databases but I never quite get around to it

You have to update every week with the results and lines etc but I'm nerdy enough to actually enjoy rubbish like that!

Anyway if you (or anyone else) wants it just pm me your email address and I will send it over to you

Looks like a lot of the unders have won tonight.

I didn't have the nerve to blindly bet all unders but if you did, you'd have gone 9-3. Still made some money betting a couple of them. Expect a bit of a correction in the lines next week but should still be good value.
    What do you guys think about tomorrow nights game?
    The total points is set at 42.5, im thinking of going with the overs on this one.

Spread is Jets -6.5, with total of 42.5, so bookies are projecting the score as 24.5-18. Question for me is can the Dolphins score 18?

They've averaged 17 points a game so far this season, they played the Texans at home earlier this year (similarly defensive team to the Jets) and lost 13-23.

Matt Moore is in for his first start this year at QB, who I don't know a lot about, but his stats don't look encouraging (unless you're counting on him throwing interceptions, he has 16 career TDs and 18 INTS). I don't like betting a QB making his first start, though they have had a bye-week to prepare. Another consideration is that, to protect new QBs, teams will often run the ball more than usual.

I like the under, the Jets have been talking about running the ball more and if they take the lead, I think they could run a lot. Dolphins haven't been bad at defending the run (ranked 13th). Think I just talked myself into this.

Under 42.5 Dolphins @ Jets

Will wait til kick-off to place it as can only see it going up.

Just an excel spreadsheet with the results for every game from 2005 to-date

Thanks, I'm doing some of my own manual collection of stats, I was thinking about automating some of it (i.e. scraping from results sites), but I can also see a benefit to entering the stuff manually, you become quite familiar ith the figures.

I was thinking about using a database, but I'm starting to think that excel might be the best option. The volume of data isn't that high, the benefit is more in manipulating the data, applying formulas, generating derived stats, highlighting trends, all of which excel is good at.

One thing I'd really like to automate is the line movement through the week, to save me checking it regularly. i.e. would update several times a day, produce a graph to track the movement, and alert me with text or email if a certain number becomes available. I have some programming ability so I'm going to look at this.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Florida International At Arkansas State (Handicap)
    Arkansas State (-3.0) 20/23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Florida International At Arkansas State (Handicap)
    Arkansas State (-3.0) 20/23

Nice tip I threw a few quid on while watching it last night. Pretty even game till the 4th quarter when Arkansas really got it going both defensively and offensively and completed blitzed FIU. I don't think I have ever seen a QB make so many rushing yards himself in a game!

Opr

Major bet gone down on Toronto to beat Winnipeg in tonight's hockey action.
    There 10/11 on the 60 minute line and i also took them -1.5 at 19/10.
    This is by far my biggest bet of the hockey season, im that confident of it.

Well that was:o, hockey unpredictable as usual.

Spoke too soon, Toronto back in it 2 goals in 30 seconds:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Well that was:o, hockey unpredictable as usual.

Fairly predictable IMHO. Playoffs especially, just bet on the team with home ice advantage more often than not and you'll be laughing :D

In this weeks Chicago vs Tampa game Paddy Power will refund all losing MATCH HANDICAP BETS and 1st/last Touchdown scorer bets as a free bet on next week's American Football if the last score of this game is a Field Goal.

My first bet on college football tonight and im going for Central Flordia -16.5 to beat UAB at 10/11.

Had a nice accumulator win yesterday.

screenshot20111024at002.png

Just going through the opening lines for next week, one I can't believe is Cowboys +3.5 @ Eagles. Lumped on the Cowboys.

Edit, couple of others I like from the early lines:
    Bills -4.5 vs. Redskins
    Cowboys +3.5 @ Eagles
    Chargers -3.5 @ Chiefs

Added Lions -2.5 @ Broncos, fading the Tebow hype.

Good article the other day:
    Double Digit Underdogs in the NFL: Long-term Value for Bettors

Liked that advice from Warren Buffet as it applied to sports betting: "Be greedy when others are fearful, and fearful when others are greedy".

In this vein, I'll also be taking
    Rams +13.5 vs. Saints

Didn't think the Rams were that bad last week in Dallas, played them pretty close for 3 quarters, and it's a huge amount of points to be given at home. Will wait 'til kickoff in the hope it goes to +14, but will still take the 13.5.

Few other leans, not that strong, will probably put them in some kind of parlay:

Dolphins +9.5 @ Giants
    Jags +9.5 @ Texans
    Browns +9 @ 49ers
    Steelers +3 vs. Patriots

Double digit dogs are usually a good bet alright

Can't have the Rams without Bradford though

Seahawks are my main bet this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Saints ****ed up what should've been a very profitable night. Complacent bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Made a random bet on PP there, Under @ 5/6
    Total Points(50.5)
    Dallas Cowboys At Philadelphia Eagles with PP saying it was 0-27 in the third quarter.Seen it was on channel 4 so went down and turned it on and it was actually in the 4th quarter and the score was 7-34.Thankfully its still that and there is only about a minute left but they would have gotten a earful off me if it went over 50 points :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

really fancy the chargers to cover the -3 spread tonight. they have been unlucky in the last few games and should bounce back tonight....i hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

AdrianII wrote: »
    really fancy the chargers to cover the -3 spread tonight. they have been unlucky in the last few games and should bounce back tonight....i hope

Rivers you choker, lost by a field goal in OT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

Some nice looking handicap odds for college games

Georgia @ 10/11 (-32.0) New Mexico State At Georgia
    Florida @ 10/11 (-13.0) Vanderbilt At Florida
    Notre Dame @ 10/11(-13.5) Notre Dame At Wake Forest
    USC @ 10/11 (-21.0) USC At Colorado
    Houston @ 10/11 (-27.0) Houston At UAB
    North Carolina @ 10/11 (-3.5) North Carolina At NC State
    Michigan @ 10/11 (-4.0) Michigan At Iowa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I like a few of them, ha, if they all come up its about a 90/1 accum, wouldnt be bad eh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Just gone for:
    Steelers (-3)
    Packers (-5.5)
    Raiders (-7)

€10 returns €61

How I lost one bet yesterday...Rams +3 @ Cardinals. Rams never trailed in regulation and had a field-goal blocked to send it to overtime...

I usually like the unders in MNF and, with Matt Forte, LeSean McCoy & Michael Vick, these are two teams that like to run the ball.

Under 47.5 Bears @ Eagles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Liking the under in this game myself. I put this game around 43 points. But MNF has a habit of going over. So might wait for an inflated line in play if i can get one.

What is the opinion of OSU's -27 spread against Iowa State tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭stingerro

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    What is the opinion of OSU's -27 spread against Iowa State tonight?
    http://www.goonersguide.com/football-pick-12437-Oklahoma-State-at-Iowa-State-Cyclones.htm - he's a good NCAAF tipster, so I would consider it.

Am thinking of throwing together this accum:

Kansas State to win outright, Alabama -2 (as tipped by Horseboxo in the basketball), OSU -27 and maybe either Arkansas or Wisconsin to beat the spread. I'm leaning on Arkansas at -13.0.

Would come to a nice 25/1.

• Advertisement

Titans were +6.5 at one stage today when I was looking at accums and they slid to +6.0 which is what I took. Sickened, they lost by 6.

With the push in that I was 4/4 in the late games, just waiting on NE to beat their spread and the Eagles +6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Derek!

Can you bet on just the straight win in American football?

Derek! wrote: »
    Can you bet on just the straight win in American football?
    Yes, under the "game line".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Derek!

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Yes, under the "game line".
    Thanks, does there be many shocks or do the favourites usually win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Derek! wrote: »
    Thanks, does there be many shocks or do the favourites usually win?
    Same as any sport!

If people could answer that with 100% certainty then the bookies would just give up!

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭CriticEyes

Hey peeps. How confident are people for the patriots to cover the handicap (currently on 16.5) against the chiefs?

Or is the over line of 46 a safer bet. Saying that MNF is always unders!

Any opinions?

• Advertisement

http://i41.tinypic.com/ilizd3.png

Pity about the push, but the furthest one of my accumulators has gone! Over to the Patriots now.
    CriticEyes wrote: »
    Hey peeps. How confident are people for the patriots to cover the handicap (currently on 16.5) against the chiefs?

Or is the over line of 46 a safer bet. Saying that MNF is always unders!

Any opinions?
    I had NE trouncing them. They're without their starting QB and are struggling at RB too. Pats lost two in a row and got their revenge last week by beating their rivals the Jets, but I just fancy them to use this game to get a bit more out of their system after the poor run.

Wow! Pats are awful. No offense at all! -16.5 eh don't think so.

Anyone want to watch these eejits!

http://www.firstrowsports.tv/watch/93601/1/watch-new-england-patriots-vs-kansas-city-chiefs.html

Edit: I think they heard me! They are playing a hell of alot better and the handicap looks kinda ok at the moment. C'MON PATS!!

My bad! They were awful for the 1st qtr and for half the 2nd qtr. Did not see that scoreline! But get in ya ringadingthing! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

never doubt the braider!

Pity I didn't put more on it :pac:

ilizd3.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement