Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin city marathon 28/10/2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Thanks for the link to that thread, going to read through it!
    RayCun wrote: »
    There's no reason why you shouldn't run under 4 hours following that plan. It has enough miles, it has some pace work - it's basic but has the essentials.

It might not be the best plan for you to follow, but that really depends on what you were doing before you started following it. The best plan is one that addresses your weaknesses and provides some stimulus without overstretching you.

But even if it isn't the best plan, if it covers the main points in a structured way and gets you to the start line in good condition, then it's fine.

Thanks, I know it's difficult to answer when you don't know me/background etc. I understand what you're saying and I'm glad to see mileage wise at least what I've been doing to date has been sufficient. In January I started pilates, flexibility & strength classes (1 hour sessions x 5 times a week) which I didn't have in my last 2 DCM attempts and I've seen huge improvements in my running & general movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭muloc

RedRunner wrote: »
    I'd go even further and say dont rely on the gel stations at all. From experience they can be easily missed. Carry what gels you need or have trusted supporters hold onto some at agree spots on course. If you need more and come across the gel station then that'd be a bonus. Could be a psychological as well as physical blow if you rely on the station and miss it.

sound...was planning bringing me own....just wanted to make sure they were the same type/flavour in case I needed a few along the route

• Registered Users Posts: 5 karenlynn0000

I dont suppose anyone out there has any advice or is dealing with Patella tendonitis?? In the midst of training and being knocked back constantly with this injury. Training for my first marathon in Dublin this October.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I dont suppose anyone out there has any advice or is dealing with Patella tendonitis?? In the midst of training and being knocked back constantly with this injury. Training for my first marathon in Dublin this October.

I would imagine the only advice available would be to go and see someone over this. See if you are doing more damage by running and not trying to fix the problem. See if exercies will help and be advised wheter it is a good idea to run it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jeffy17

Best thing is to get it checked and you'll be told to rest as further running will definitely rule you out of DCM, at least at this stage you've time to rest and get back into training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 karenlynn0000

Jeffy17 wrote: »
    Best thing is to get it checked and you'll be told to rest as further running will definitely rule you out of DCM, at least at this stage you've time to rest and get back into training.

Thanks guys. I’ve actially been to see both a sports therapist and a physical therapist. Both have said to continue running and works on strengthening while slowly increasing load. The thing is that I’m getting pain much earlier on my long runs. So they’re theory isn’t really holding up for me. I expected last Time I took time off and went back slowly that I would have been able to go a little further or at least get to he same point but I managed only 12k. I’m just not sure what to do. Taking a couple of weeks off will see me start the marathon unprepared

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Thanks guys. I’ve actially been to see both a sports therapist and a physical therapist. Both have said to continue running and works on strengthening while slowly increasing load. The thing is that I’m getting pain much earlier on my long runs. So they’re theory isn’t really holding up for me. I expected last Time I took time off and went back slowly that I would have been able to go a little further or at least get to he same point but I managed only 12k. I’m just not sure what to do. Taking a couple of weeks off will see me start the marathon unprepared

I feel for you as I've been here lots of times. The harsh reality is that if you are in pain when running, stop running! I have to assume you are following the instructions of the expert advice to the letter but they cant always be exactly right,in terms of recovery timelines. It's not an exact science and everyone is different in terms of healing. Sounds like you need more time and you are running out of that for DCM. Time for some soul searching and longer term thinking perhaps. I've missed 4 DCMs in last 5 years due to injury , one of which was due to similar injury to yours so unfortunately I know your situation only too well.

Maybe revisit the PT and explain your current situation and they might advise a different approach. Good luck in any case. Hopefully it sorts itself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

Hey guys.
    So I'm taking part in the marathon for the first time this year. I had taken up running toward the end of 2017 however had to have a minor operation which put my training on hold for a couple of months. I'm back training now and am comfortable covering 5k in ~25mins.

I know I won't be running the full marathon but I'm wondering is there any approach to the marathon people would recommend? Would doing the event in walk/run intervals be recommended? (Do people do this?)

And given my current level would there be a recommended training plan between now and the marathon? Currently I'm doing 5k 3/4 times a week. My plan would be (to try anyway) to increase this even a small bit ahead of the marathon.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I know I won't be running the full marathon but I'm wondering is there any approach to the marathon people would recommend?
    Currently I'm doing 5k 3/4 times a week.

Honestly, you are nowhere near prepared for the marathon, and that isn't going to change much in the time remaining.

Why not do it next year instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Hey guys.
    And given my current level would there be a recommended training plan between now and the marathon?

If you google marathon training plans there are literally hundreds out there for every level of runner.
    Currently I'm doing 5k 3/4 times a week. My plan would be (to try anyway) to increase this even a small bit ahead of the marathon.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that level of training will not prepare you for 5k running, let alone a marathon. You will no doubt get around on the day but if you are not prepared for long distance running you will increase your risk of injury. Try adding a long run into your week and increase it by a mile or two week on week.

• Advertisement

Cheers guys. Don't get me wrong I know I'm way off being able to run a marathon.

Had signed up in March when my training was going quite well however but I obviously wasn't to know I would be requiring surgery at the time which has set me way back. Basically wondering if I should still aim to take part in this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Cheers guys. Don't get me wrong I know I'm way off being able to run a marathon.

Had signed up in March when my training was going quite well however but I obviously wasn't to know I would be requiring surgery at the time which has set me way back. Basically wondering if I should still aim to take part in this at all.

Walk away from it now and focus on your 5k and 10k work. Come back at it again next year when ready and you will have a great experience on the day

The way I see it, if you do the marathon next year you can plan to run it, in 4 hours more or less
    (I don't know what you were running before surgery, or how soon you'll be fully recovered)

If you do it this year, you're looking at 6 hours or so, with lots of walking.

So why do it this year?

Cheers average_runner
    RayCun wrote: »
    The way I see it, if you do the marathon next year you can plan to run it, in 4 hours more or less
    (I don't know what you were running before surgery, or how soon you'll be fully recovered)

If you do it this year, you're looking at 6 hours or so, with lots of walking.

So why do it this year?

As far as the recovery goes, I'm fully recovered. The surgery wasn't on anything that would be impacted by running. It was just the time off following it that killed my stamina.

I suppose my reasoning for doing it this year is that I was really enjoying my training and looking forward to it before the op. Even loving the short distance running I've gotten back to since.

Cheers for the advice though. I'll continue with the short distance training and trying to build the distance back up for now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

Pink11 wrote: »
    My third DCM can't wait. I am haunted by narrowly missing a sub 4 time in 2015. Does anyone recommend a particular training plan to help me? I think I've spent too much time reading online and just don't know if I'm doing it right.

Willing to put in maximum time and effort. Advice on pacing on training runs would be much appreciated!

Hi Pink
    I think we were in the Novices thread in 2015!? I am making my first step back into marathons so DCM 2018 will be my 2nd, hoping on sub4 too. Miss having the novices thread to support me along the way.

Best of luck with the training and DCM:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

duffer247 wrote: »
    Hi Pink
    I think we were in the Novices thread in 2015!? I am making my first step back into marathons so DCM 2018 will be my 2nd, hoping on sub4 too. Miss having the novices thread to support me along the way.

You can always join the sub 4 support thread ;)
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057865918/1

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭happyfriday74

guys,

last time I did a marathon I used to gobble up a powerbar carb energy bar before a lsr. However trying to find them now and they are like hens teeth.

The only bars I can find are protein bars, nothing seems to be carb based at all, which I dont think will be fit for purpose.

Any ideas on a substitute- doing a 20 plus miler in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Hi Pink

why not join in with this years novices thread.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

guys,

last time I did a marathon I used to gobble up a powerbar carb energy bar before a lsr. However trying to find them now and they are like hens teeth.

The only bars I can find are protein bars, nothing seems to be carb based at all, which I dont think will be fit for purpose.

Big bowl of porridge (assuming you like porridge that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jeffy17

guys,

https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/training/sports-cycling-nutrition/high5-cycle-pack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    why not join in with this years novices thread.?

Thanks Sheep,
    I've joined the sub4 :eek: but am secretly reading the Novices :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Anyway of getting the route on to google maps so I can drive it aka send to email or phone link from google maps or something? Don't have a GPS system for the car.
    I have the DCM gpx file from Strava but haven't figured out a way to get this on my android phone with car navigation.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DC.

Anyone know how sub-elite runners are selected? Those with their surname on their bibs? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

DC. wrote: »
    Anyone know how sub-elite runners are selected? Those with their surname on their bibs? Thanks

I think but could be wrong, you send a request to DCM stating your a sub-elite and proof of same(half/marathon time previously) for entry. Open to correction on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

guys,

How about making a conscious decision to train without it? If you always stock up on carbs before an lsr then your body won't adapt to running 'on empty'. And then a carb infusion (say gels) on race day will have a genuine impact.

davedanon wrote: »
    How about making a conscious decision to train without it? If you always stock up on carbs before an lsr then your body won't adapt to running 'on empty'. And then a carb infusion (say gels) on race day will have a genuine impact.

And if you want to eat before an LSR... well, the advantage of gels and bars is that they are portable, you can carry them with you as you run. If you are eating before you run, there's no reason not to eat normal food. Whatever breakfast you are going to have one the morning of the marathon, practice it now...

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭happyfriday74

Lads and lassies,

Dealz are doing energy Gels for 1.50 a pop(apple pie and raspberry ripple flavour so probably vile). Im running low and wont be near anywhere else that sells my normal brand so I bought a few just there.

Different brand from the ones I normally take but will give them a whirl on this weekends LSR

If I get through the weekend's run without ignominiously sh*ting myself I will let you know.

Come to think of it, if the above worst I will also let you know.

fingers crossed...

EDIT POST SHOULD BE IN NOVICE THREAD

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CollinsTara

Peterx wrote: »
    Big bowl of porridge (assuming you like porridge that is)

Porridge plus peanut butter!! That is the breakfast of champions!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Hi Pink

Only saw this now!
    Ah thanks you too! I spotted you posting in the other threads and your name registered with me.

We'll get our dream time this year!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

DC. wrote: »

The stanards this year are as follows:

Men
    Sub 2.32.30 marathon
    Sub 1.11.00 half marathon
    Sub 53 minutes for 10 miles

Women
    Sub 2.55.00 marathon
    Sub 1.21.30 half marathon
    Sub 61 minutes for 10 miles

If anyone has those times and have entered the Dublin Marathon, send an email to office@dublinmarathon.ie and request an elite number.

Advertisement